Are We/Should We Be Tanking?

Tanking?  

74 members have voted

1. 1. Which best describes your view on the Bills tanking right now?

• They ARE tanking, I want them to tank.
    • They ARE tanking, I want them to win games.
    • They ARE NOT tanking, I want them to tank.
    • They ARE NOT tanking, I want them to win games.

I think they are going to start playing younger backups in place of underachieving veterans where possible.  That will create a risk for even poorer play at those positions than it has been, but it could be better in some cases.  I don't think the Bills will actually  be trying to lose games, but we know they don't actually have to try.

2 hours ago, CookieG said:

If that's the definition, it would be stripping the offense of talent so they can draft a DE next spring.

*puts head in hands and weeps.

But actually, I think they stripped it for the sake of stripping it, and had no idea how badly they overestimated their offensive talent evaluation skills. 

You are presuming they would take a DE

I propose that a DE of that caliber still on the board could net us a lot of Day 1/Day 2 compensation........and we could move down and take a LT and begin the aggressive drafting of offense

1 hour ago, Warcodered said:

I think the overall plan for the year is to be a bad year as they make room for next year. But I think the game plan for the team is still to win games with what they've got.

The plan was in my opinion a 2 year rebuild for McBeane, they gutted a lot of players on this roster to acquire draft capital and future cap space. They exceeded expectations with a playoff birth in year one but that didn't necessarily change their plans on how to build the team. I am willing to write off 2018 as the step back to take two steps forward that it is, but in 2019 with the many avenues they have to improve the team the results need to be there in 2019. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

They aren’t trying to tank, but with a rookie QBing your offense and a rookie QBing your defense and a third of your payroll going to retired or traded players you’re at an enormous competitive disadvantage vs the other teams 

they will never use the word "tank", but they have gotten rid of big talent and big contracts, spent modestly, and left themselves intentionally undermanned. call it whatever you want, but they are intentionally horrible. i do not think that they have done this for the sake of the high draft position, but they have definitely taken this to the ground floor.

I don't think it is intentional but i believe that the remaining schedule unless McD finds some remarkable changes they will have a top 5 pick next year the WR's suck plain & simple & unless they find a new combo on the O line Shady is what he is this year & all's we have to look forward to is next year !! 

They are tanking for sure.  no doubt.  

What do you call clearing almost all the high salaries by trade or by not signing veterans?   Drafting a QB?   Letting Tyrod go ... he was good for 6 to 8 wins.

Some of this looks like bad management, and it is to point, but no doubt this is the blow up year.  Next year they will spend a good portion of their significant  cap space to add better players.   They need two more good drafts, and two off seasons of good free agent pick ups to be a playoff team ... assuming they find a QB (as usual).

BTW - I want them to play to win, but after this past off season they cannot convince me that is what they are doing. 

Edited by Bob in STL
  • Thank you (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

this times 16 

;)  

from what I hear its pointless in B Ball too

Spurs tanked to grab both David Robinson and Tim Duncan

It was easier to simply pillage a horrible franchise as Boston and LA did to grab BIrd and Magic back then