Do you drive in the left lane (fast lane) on highways?

Another Fan

3 minutes ago, JoeF said:

Are you okay?  Just checking....

I am a left lane driver who usually goes about 10-15 over the posted MPH.  I gladly get out of the way when someone wants to go faster.  I drove on the Autobahn regularly about 25 years ago.  My experience was that Germans know driving etiquette pretty damn well and could be an example to most US drivers.

I go 6-8 mph over, and I don’t see any great advantage to get there 8 minutes early because I wanted to run the risk. I also frown on tailgating. It’s best if I close my eyes and nap while my wife drives. Shockingly, she hasn’t been caught or hit anything while I was in the car with her. (She had a TON of speeding points when we met and was going back home every other weekend in her Pinto!) I’m constantly flinching when she’s on the highway. 

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Augie said:

I go 6-8 mph over, and I don’t see any great advantage to get there 8 minutes early because I wanted to run the risk. I also frown on tailgating. It’s best if I close my eyes and nap while my wife drives. Shockingly, she hasn’t been caught or hit anything while I was in the car with her. (She had a TON of speeding points when we met and was going back home every other weekend in her Pinto!) I’m constantly flinching when she’s on the highway. 

We are driving 8 hours each way this weekend.  I will work in the backseat and entertain the young one while she is driving.  I would be in the fetal position rocking back and forth if I was in the front passenger seat. 

Edited by JoeF

1 minute ago, JoeF said:

We are driving 8 hours each way this weekend.  I will work in the backseat and entertain the young one while she is driving.  I would be in the fetal position rocking back and forth if I was in the front seat. 

What do you have against the fetal position? I’m a regular, and my people find that offensive! 

36 minutes ago, JoeF said:

Yes, we do my friend, yes we do.   God bless you and family this coming holiday. 

Today is the first anniversary of my wife’s mom passing. She hit the early mass, spent a lot of time on the phone with her brother and sister, but it was mostly laughs. All you can hope for. 

I’ve shared this with a few others, but the book  Proof of Heaven (by Eben Alexander, M.D.) was just amazing. Probably the best book I’ve ever read.  To my surprise,  my wife struggled with it. If you come at it with the right perspective, this is pure gold. I like the idea of putting all things in perspective, rather than the old school heaven and hell. 

I always have a book and read every day. I will read this book again, even if just a a paragraph at a time. 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

If i were to ever run for political office, my first 2 orders of business would be to mandate, if a female is not married or engaged, she is FORBIDDEN from wearing a ring on the ring finger and the opposite is true for those married or engaged.  Second would be death penalty for people in the left lane not passing, and if they are passing not doing it fast enough.

On 11/7/2018 at 3:23 PM, billsfan5121 said:

I live close to DC.  Doesn’t matter what lane you’re in, it isn’t moving anyways!

I drove from my place outside of Philly to Richmond and back yesterday(Sunday 11/18) via 95 the entire way....both trips were under 4 hours.  I have never done it that quickly before.  I was amazed

Edited by The Poojer

43 minutes ago, The Poojer said:

If i were to ever run for political office, my first 2 orders of business would be to mandate, if a female is not married or engaged, she is FORBIDDEN from wearing a ring on the ring finger and the opposite is true for those married or engaged.  Second would be death penalty for people in the left lane not passing, and if they are passing not doing it fast enough.

I drove from my place outside of Philly to Richmond and back yesterday(Sunday 11/18) via 95 the entire way....both trips were under 4 hours.  I have never done it that quickly before.  I was amazed

It is typically about 3:30 hours to Philly, from exit 130 (Fredericksburg), which is an hour north of Richmond, when leaving during a random time, like at night.  For you to do that on a Sunday is amazing.  Typically, it comes to a stop around mile marker 118 to 124 or so going north on Sunday, and 118 to 130 (12 miles) can take over an hour.  Couple that with thanksgiving this week and you hit the jackpot somehow.  

• Like (+1) 1

Yup, i normally plan on 4.5-5 hours, i figured the morning drive down would be fairly good, i didn't expect the return trip (4:45 PM) to be even quicker

1 hour ago, billsfan5121 said:

It is typically about 3:30 hours to Philly, from exit 130 (Fredericksburg), which is an hour north of Richmond, when leaving during a random time, like at night.  For you to do that on a Sunday is amazing.  Typically, it comes to a stop around mile marker 118 to 124 or so going north on Sunday, and 118 to 130 (12 miles) can take over an hour.  Couple that with thanksgiving this week and you hit the jackpot somehow.  

42 minutes ago, The Poojer said:

Yup, i normally plan on 4.5-5 hours, i figured the morning drive down would be fairly good, i didn't expect the return trip (4:45 PM) to be even quicker

Not bad.  I don’t know if there is any alternative to 95 to get to Richmond from there (97 in Baltimore to 50/301 to Richmond?) but I will say whenever I go to buffalo, I completely avoid 95 north to 270 and just take 17 to 66 to 81, hit some backroads for a bit till I get to Breezewood PA.  95 is such a joke down here and I don’t know if they will ever be able to fix it.  A 60 mile drive can take 1.5 hours one day, then 3 hours the next.  I’ve used navigation coming home just to get a rough estimate on time, and I’ll just watch that estimated time of arrival push back further and further.  I’ll start with an ETA of 4:00, but won’t get home till 6:00.  

On 11/7/2018 at 1:15 PM, Johnny Hammersticks said:

I weave back a forth like a maniac.  

Hopefully not on a Kawasaki ninja riding the lane dashes between cars because, you know, waiting your turn to pass would be so boring and all ?. Really can’t stand it when I see driving stupidity like that!

On 11/18/2018 at 11:20 PM, Augie said:

Today is the first anniversary of my wife’s mom passing. She hit the early mass, spent a lot of time on the phone with her brother and sister, but it was mostly laughs. All you can hope for. 

I’ve shared this with a few others, but the book  Proof of Heaven (by Eben Alexander, M.D.) was just amazing. Probably the best book I’ve ever read.  To my surprise,  my wife struggled with it. If you come at it with the right perspective, this is pure gold. I like the idea of putting all things in perspective, rather than the old school heaven and hell. 

I always have a book and read every day. I will read this book again, even if just a a paragraph at a time. 

Thanks for sharing @Augie. Will definitely check it out. Have always been fascinated by NDE's and what they can add to our understanding of what comes next. Just to piggyback on your book recommendation, "90 Minutes in Heaven" by Don Piper and "Heaven is for Real" by Todd Burpo are both good reads on this topic that I found to be very thought-provoking and can't put down page turners. 

• Thank you (+1) 1