Do you drive in the left lane (fast lane) on highways?

Another Fan

I was in Wisconsin 3 years ago on business in February, and i did not understand why every single car on the road was in the left lane on a 4 lane highway.  I got over into the right lane and just going the speed limit passed 15 cars.    I don't drive up north in winter is there some unwritten rule about driving in the right lane when there is snow on the ground???

and I live in Florida in a suburb of Orlando, and i can tell you that all you northerners come down here and drive like hell when you're on vacation.   right turns from the left lane, no signal, merging at 35 MPH onto a 70mph highway.    I know Fl gets a bad wrap for having crap drivers but if i see a Michigan plate, good lord I give those morons a wide berth.  

• Haha (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Augie said:

I’m ONLY in the left lane to pass......unlike my wife and it drives me crazy. She prefers the left lane apparently. I pick my battles. 

Your wife tells us that you do not pick battles wisely :D

But back to the point of the post if you are not passing and in the left lane you should be obliterated and moved out of the way.

• Like (+1) 2

In America the left lane is usually plugged up by some slow driving idiot in a SUV refusing to look in his mirror or get the hell out of the lane.

Ironically, the lane furthest to the right is often the fastest.

There is zero lane discipline in this country and in general, I find driving on American highways kind of scary.  You never know what anyone is going to do, cars move in all directions, and half the drivers are asleep at the wheel or doing something other than focusing on driving.

Yes, this is a huge pet peeve of mine.  

• Like (+1) 3

3 hours ago, Bad Things said:

Just about always in the left lane down here, Mate! (Apart from some of the foriegn tourist drivers. )

Wait a minute.  Your left lane is the right lane.  So you have both bases covered. or in your case, whatever they call the turning points in Cricket.

6 hours ago, Augie said:

I’m ONLY in the left lane to pass......unlike my wife and it drives me crazy. She prefers the left lane apparently. I pick my battles. 

My husband does that (your wife's driving tendencies). Unlike you, I am not smart enough to forgo that battle.  :wallbash: Let's just say that if I am paying attention to his thruway driving, we inevitably have "words" about his driving in the left lane and not passing. At least he doesn't question why I get back in the right lane after passing someone. That would probably start WW3.

• Like (+1) 1

I drive on the Thruway near Syracuse almost daily. Two lanes in each direction. Fast lane goes 78 mph, slow lane goes 68 mph (truck speed). I like to go 72 mph. I will stay in the fast lane and pass the trucks until somebody starts to approach me from behind, at which point I’ll move into the slow lane.  I’ll stay there until the faster vehicle goes past, then I usually pull back out and start passing trucks again. 

On the way to work  (normal streets) the road slows from 35 to 30 in front of a school. I drive at 30 because the cops like to sit nearby.  It then widens to two lanes on an overpass and then back down to one. That stretch is 35. I stay at 35, but so many people speed past me when it widens and get just ahead of me. Doesn't  do them any good as they are right in front of me at the light ahead.

5 hours ago, CowgirlsFan said:

Yes. I usually drive 10 mph over the speed limit.  When I see someone is approaching,I move over to allow for them to pass. Afterwards I move back to the left lane so I'm not behind someone who just goes the speed limit.

What she said.

Only thing I'd add is if I'm stuck behind someone in the left lane and someone's approaching fast I'm not moving over. Happens a lot on a two lane highway near me.

• Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Sig1Hunter said:

Ok, then we can compromise...

Will you kindly explain to her why it is that I flipped her off when I went by in the right lane?

Thanks a bunch!

- The Rest of Us

She’s actually quite bright in so many ways. If you can band together and present a unified single digit salute front, she will catch on. You may get flipped off in return, but you might wear her down over time.