Coach Length To Put Program In

corta765

17 hours ago, KD in CA said:

After reading that, I'm almost tempted to conclude that cleaning house every 2-3 years might not be the best idea.

Or that the teams done a terrible job hiring. How many do you think would’ve been excellent in year 4?

There is NO DOUBT that the two year turnover machine that is the Bills needs to stop. Of all those guys who got 3 or less years, only Ryan earned his firing. He was the worst. The rest deserved longer tenures, even the ones I didn’t like!

Next year the trend needs to be upwards. and year 4 must be a clear season of depth and strength with playoff berths in the offing for 4-5 years possible. I’d give McD 5 years and only pull the plug if year 4 is a disaster. 

Edited by BeginnersMind

2 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

If this team doesn’t turn it around next year then McD is gone. It doesn’t take 4 or 5 years to build a successful team. Coaches and GMs don’t have that luxury. It’s a results based business. 

I don't believe most fans believe they should automatically get  4 to 5 years. IMHO, I think most believe it is reasonable to give them through next year to show a marked improvement in this team, and that they are capable of achieving what they said they want to do - and what we all want: building a championship caliber team.

• Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, Maybe Someday said:

&$%# that, I demand satisfaction NOW!!!  McD & Beane haven't done everything exactly as I wanted them to so they need to be fired yesterday.  If the new guys don't field an elite team by week 6 of next year, fire them too.  Eventually they'll hire me and we'll go 19-0 cuz I've got all the answers. 

Signed,

Way too many posters on TSW

Hey bud, I bought you a pony ?

20 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

I don't believe most fans believe they should automatically get  4 to 5 years. IMHO, I think most believe it is reasonable to give them through next year to show a marked improvement in this team, and that they are capable of achieving what they said they want to do - and what we all want: building a championship caliber team.

There are definitely people here who believe these guys should get 5 years for the sake of continuity.

If Allen doesn’t make a big leap next year and our offense is still terrible then these guys are probably gone.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Bangarang said:

There are definitely people here who believe these guys should get 5 years for the sake of continuity.

If Allen doesn’t make a big leap next year and our offense is still terrible then these guys are probably gone.

I think it is a small segment that believes it would be a good idea to give any FO 5 years just for the sake of "continuity," which is ridiculous. Just as I think it is a small segment that believes it would be a good idea to fire a GM after one draft and 1.5 years into a rebuild and a coach 1.5 years into a rebuild - which is equally ridiculous. Again, IMHO, I think most of us are in the camp that it is reasonable to give them through next year. If, at that point, we are not seeing real improvement and real indications this team is headed in the right direction, then, I would image there will be changes.

• Like (+1) 1

18 hours ago, jrober38 said:

An extra year or two wouldn't have improved the results.

The Bills biggest mistake over the past 6 years has been flip flopping between a 3-4 and 4-3 defense pretty much every season. Both schemes require very different players, and flip flopping with coordinators under Gailey, Marrone and Rex really didn't do us any favours. 

For me this is about never having a GM with any power in the organization since Polian. They keep hiring poor GMs who will acquiesce to the owner. Whaley had zero power. Beane is a stand in to McDermott. If they want to fix it, they have to do like the Steelers. Get a good talent guy and let him build it to his liking. Leave him alone to his theory on both sides of the ball. To me this is the biggest problem going back to Ralph. You can't keep changing a good football man because he makes a bad draft pick. I think they fired Whaley too soon. They could have kept him and added Beane as President of operations. Beane is not a GM. He's never worked in talent. He didn't work in talent as a coach or scout like most GMs. Whaley had an eye for talent he was just a poor personality type and he missed on QB. I think a GM should get to miss on 2 or 3 high draft picked QBs before he's fired.

Edited by CuddyDark
  • Like (+1) 1

18 hours ago, jrober38 said:

The Bills biggest mistake over the past 6 years has been flip flopping between a 3-4 and 4-3 defense pretty much every season. Both schemes require very different players, and flip flopping with coordinators under Gailey, Marrone and Rex really didn't do us any favours. 

I believe it’s a combination of both. Must hold the course, regardless of fan discontent. 

The McBeane plan, as it looks after 1.5 seasons, regressed beyond what any reasonable fan could have imagined. They are near a laughing stock.

McD defenders cite the 'D', it would have merit if it wasn't being totally wasted by an offense teetering towards an all time worse.  

To think the offense will improve much by next season is wishful thinking. McBeane will need at least through 2020 to show real 'O" improvement.  

Lot of painful watching for at least another year and a half before this team can even be possibly considered weekly competitive.

Edited by I am the egg man

19 hours ago, KD in CA said:

After reading that, I'm almost tempted to conclude that cleaning house every 2-3 years might not be the best idea.

Yes, Jauron kicked ass after being here for 3 1/2 years! ;) :) 

Seriously, almost every person on that list was a terrible hire.  One was worse than the next. Levy/Jauron  would have kept losing if they were here for 50 years.

I still actually think that the team has a better chance to win with the Pegulas. Ralph was done and Brandon was a horror show.

Jmo.

• Like (+1) 1

19 hours ago, jrober38 said:

The funny thing is, almost to a man each one has claimed that they don't run a "true" 3-4 or 4-3, rather, it would be some type of hybrid set that could accomodate players schematically giving both looks based on the in-game situation. It seems like it's too simplistic to say that a D is beholden to one or the other anymore. Rexy for instance tried to run more of his father's 46 setup, and his coaching mentor Billick claimed that what personnel he had on hand dictated what his base look would be. McDermott also claims that he's comfortable with both base looks.

https://buffalonews.com/2017/01/14/bills-2016-defensive-autopsy-rex-ryan/

Here's another one from Rex's Jets days claiming a similar point:

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/1193999-new-york-jets-why-rex-ryans-defense-is-not-a-3-4

And finally, a really good primer on what any of this jargon truly means and more specifically from which coaching tree they were made famous by, as of a few years ago:

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/1074050-nfl-defensive-schemes-the-basics-of-the-4-3-3-4-and-ryan-defenses

19 hours ago, KD in CA said:

That is true, but when you have clearly made a mistake in hiring (for example Rex Ryan), it is better to cut the cord quickly. But half of those coaches should have been given longer.

It is also worth noting that Marrone left on his own terms. He would have had a third year at least.

2 hours ago, NoSaint said:

Or that the teams done a terrible job hiring. How many do you think would’ve been excellent in year 4?

Probably not many, but that isn't relevant to the point that 1) no franchise will be successful if they can't find some continuity and 2) people who are screaming for McD's head (some since halftime of the Baltimore game) are idiots.