Coach Length To Put Program In

corta765

A lot of people have been commenting that perhaps McD and Beane should be relieved or at least one changed by seasons end. Here is a look at how long coaches have had to put their program in (for better or worse):

1996-97- Marv sees Kelly retire and follows suit next season after Todd Collins doesn't pan out

1998-2000 DC Wade Phillips steps in and the team trades for Rob Johnson to be the future while adding longtime vet Flutie. Without rehashing Ralph basically forced Wade's at QB hand to the point it was easier to leave then stay. During this time Jerry Butler runs the show with a pretty strong staff including AJ Smith who turned later helped turn the Chargers around with Butler. (3 years)

2001-2003 Tom Donahoe is brought in to be the new GM after Butler resigns. Donahoe at the time was highly regarded for his work in Pittsburgh and hire's hot DC candidate Greg Williams to be the new head coach. At the time it was believed Williams could bring the defense more success while helping to smooth out the QB situation. Johnson flames out but the Bills get Bledsoe from NE. Williams in the end is relieved but was able to bring his program in. (3 Years)

2003-05 Donahoe brings in Mularkey who has some relative success both never gets a chance to put together a full team due to QB controversy and mgmt change with Donahoe being replaced by Marv. (2 Years)

2006-2009 Dick Jaruon gets the longest chance of any Bills coach with over three and half years to get his team and QB with Edwards being the guy he thought could work. (3 and 1/12 years)

2010-2012 Chan Gailey gets his shot but never gets enough talent on defense nor a chance to pick a QB of his liking. EJ was after Chan by Nix/Whaley (3 years)

2013-2014 Doug Marrone chooses to leave after building a decent program 2 years in despite Manuel's flame out (2 years)

2015-2016 Rex is given a roster with a lot of talent but still chooses to remake it as his own. Taylor being brought in is a plus given prior QB problems but his defense never gets a chance to be fully established due to injury and being relieved just 2 years in (2 years)

Overall only Jauron and Williams ever really got a chance to put their true program and QB out there. The rest the cord was pulled before they got a chance or they left. The biggest thing with this you see is how many times the deck had to be refreshed and altered because of a new coach. I really think McD and Beane should get four years just for the fact I want to see a coach for the first time in over 2 decades to truly put his stamp on a team for better or worse.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 7

the bottom line is most of these arrogant ego coaches blow out perfectly good players already in place. Then in all their divine wisdom have to go out shopping for new players that hopefully fits their philosophy. The great coaches play to to strengths of the players already on the roster. Rex and McD are the classic examples of this.

• Like (+1) 2

33 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

After reading that, I'm almost tempted to conclude that cleaning house every 2-3 years might not be the best idea.

An extra year or two wouldn't have improved the results.

The Bills biggest mistake over the past 6 years has been flip flopping between a 3-4 and 4-3 defense pretty much every season. Both schemes require very different players, and flip flopping with coordinators under Gailey, Marrone and Rex really didn't do us any favours. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, jrober38 said:

An extra year or two wouldn't have improved the results.

The Bills biggest mistake over the past 6 years has been flip flopping between a 3-4 and 4-3 defense pretty much every season. Both schemes require very different players, and flip flopping with coordinators under Gailey, Marrone and Rex really didn't do us any favours. 

One of the few things I agree with you on

• Like (+1) 3

It's not regime change that's the problem folks!

It's the crap hiring that has plagued this organization for most of its history.

The trick for breaking the repetitive cycle is hiring quality people who deserve to stick around a long time.

There is zero sense in keeping the wrong people a long time, simply for "consistency."

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

&$%# that, I demand satisfaction NOW!!!  McD & Beane haven't done everything exactly as I wanted them to so they need to be fired yesterday.  If the new guys don't field an elite team by week 6 of next year, fire them too.  Eventually they'll hire me and we'll go 19-0 cuz I've got all the answers. 

Signed,

Way too many posters on TSW

• Haha (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Fadingpain said:

It's not regime change that's the problem folks!

It's the crap hiring that has plagued this organization for most of its history.

The trick for breaking the repetitive cycle is hiring quality people who deserve to stick around a long time.

There is zero sense in keeping the wrong people a long time, simply for "consistency."

Its not for "consistency" it is to allow a group to complete their vision of what the winning team should look like.

They have literally tried every single way to fix this.....they have hired the hot college coach....the experienced coach.....

Now they are trying the "young hot coordinator" approach along with a full team rebiuld and that takes TIME

• Like (+1) 5

The Steelers have had 3 coaches since 1969 and have gone 758-458-2 with 6 SB victories.

The Bills have had 18 coaches over that same span with slightly different results.  

Maybe our leadership model is wrong?

(Sidebar: The Steelers have had the same guy - Kevin Colbert - running the draft since 2000.  There might be something to be said for stability).  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

34 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

One of the few things I agree with you on

I wouldn’t.  I’d say the biggest problem over the last 20 years has been our reluctance to pull the trigger on drafting QBs.  Considering we haven’t had one “good” QB since Kelly and we’ve only drafted 3 in the first round since then is ridiculous imo.  

But it I agree that switching between the 3-4 and 4-3 has been a problem and sets us back each time we do.

I'll say this, while it's hard to watch on Sundays right now, McD and Beane have given me the most confidence they have a very detailed plan and are executing it at any cost. The sell-out to send Watkins, Dareus to other teams while getting Draft capital is NOT something this team has done in a long time. Bills over the last two decades have a penchant for trading their Draft picks to get unknown players that have not lived up to the Draft hype. This was a reversal of philosophy, and I like it.

As for Offense, we have yet to see what transpires but they have done a similar sell-out to get a couple pieces in place: LT & WR2 in year one, QB and maybe LG in year 2. The real re-shaping of the Offense will take place in 2019 and if it doesn't then IMHO, they shouldn't get the fourth year. I'm not saying I demand overnight success, but if Beane and McD don't invest in the Offense the way they have on Defense in the 2019 Off-season, then they cannot be reconciled with future success. 

However, I don't suspect that to be the case as I truly believe this was the plan all along. Not the retirements of Wood and Incognito, but that short of that, they planned everything else, specifically the pain to cut the Cap dead wood. I give them all of the money, Draft picks and through the 2019 season to see if their strategy shows real gains and promise or even better yet, resulted in good, consistent winning. 

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I wouldn’t.  I’d say the biggest problem over the last 20 years has been our reluctance to pull the trigger on drafting QBs.  Considering we haven’t had one “good” QB since Kelly and we’ve only drafted 3 in the first round since then is ridiculous imo.  

But it I agree that switching between the 3-4 and 4-3 has been a problem and sets us back each time we do.

This point I wish I could highlight into the dam sun. The patriots have drafted more QBs then us. I my opinion any new regime should draft a new QB in round 1 or 2 within 3-4 years even if they have a quality starter just because you never know.

15 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

Its not for "consistency" it is to allow a group to complete their vision of what the winning team should look like.

They have literally tried every single way to fix this.....they have hired the hot college coach....the experienced coach.....

Now they are trying the "young hot coordinator" approach along with a full team rebiuld and that takes TIME

As people like you love to point out, we made the playoffs last year.

Why strip this down to bare metal and rebuild in this manner?!  Who thought that was necessary?

Also, it's not the 1980s anymore.  Clumsy rebuilds involving entire lost seasons are not in fashion these days, nor are they necessarily required.  

I assure you Pegula will not be as patient as you and many other kool aid drinkers at this forum are.

If things don't look "right" next season, we'll be onto the next group end of next year.

43 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

As people like you love to point out, we made the playoffs last year.

Why strip this down to bare metal and rebuild in this manner?!  Who thought that was necessary?

Also, it's not the 1980s anymore.  Clumsy rebuilds involving entire lost seasons are not in fashion these days, nor are they necessarily required.  

I assure you Pegula will not be as patient as you and many other kool aid drinkers at this forum are.

If things don't look "right" next season, we'll be onto the next group end of next year.

The rebuild started long before they made the playoffs, and most of the talent they let go happened prior to making the playoffs. What talent did they let go of after making the playoffs? Glenn, who hardly contributed at all the last couple of years due to injuries? Tyrod, who, minus the turnovers, gave us pretty much the same passing performances we are seeing now? 

The rebuild was already happening. Making the playoffs was a combination of many things, the least of which was championship caliber talent on the team, particularly on offense. This year was always going to be a struggle, with the loss of two key linemen, the prohibitive amount of dead cap money, and the use of draft capital to acquire, what the team feels, are the future centerpieces of the offense and defense. Anyone paying attention saw some version of this coming. Building the offense around their QB and continuing to add pieces defensively begins this coming off season.

You can argue the merits of their plan or the decisions they have made in support of that plan; however, they do have a plan. The willingness to give them some time is not necessarily an endorsement of their philosophy, buying into "the process," a blind willingness to support everything they do, or an indication of some inferior ability to objectively evaluate what they are doing. It is simply a reasonable approach.