We gotta find a way to lose this one boys.

Ramza86

1 hour ago, Captain Hindsight said:

Dude eff that. I hate the Jets. I hope we make Darnold look like a joke and Allen throws 6 Tds in his return

Agreed, it’s a defensive draft anyways. Pointless to have a top 5 pick especially with no QB looking like a top 10 pick. We are a lock to pick in the top 10 and should be able to add an OT at that point in the draft. Josh Allen playing well is way more important than draft position.

• Like (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, iinii said:

Ever heard of Aaron Rodgers or Patrick Mahomes?

Doesn’t prove they got better while sitting. Rodgers improved as he continued starting. Mahomes was raw (  kind of like Allen in that regard) but probably was ready at some point last year after seeing things on film etc. They should have sat Allen for at least half the year, but famously screwed it up. There’s no point in turning back now. Allen isn’t going to improve by watching the worst NFL offense in generations do its thing. 

3 minutes ago, billspro said:

Agreed, it’s a defensive draft anyways. Pointless to have a top 5 pick especially with no QB looking like a top 10 pick. We are a lock to pick in the top 10 and should be able to add an OT at that point in the draft. Josh Allen playing well is way more important than draft position.

Well stated. Timing once again doesn’t appear to be on the Bills side. They need offense, and that’s not the strength of this draft. Live reps are critical for Allen if they’re going to show any improvement next season. Find out which players can at least be backups as most of the offensive starters should be replaced. 

Just now, Dr Doom said:

I don't think winning and making the playoffs helped much last year...

This team won’t come close to the playoffs, and they’re not looking to draft a franchise QB in the upcoming draft. Last years playoff berth may have hurt somewhat by increasing the cost of securing a high pick. It’s all about what you’re willing to pay. In the end, Beane may have been a bit too penny-wise with his picks. They need a lot of players in this draft. Not one specific player. They need to increase their odds of success by drafting many players and hoping for an above average hit rate if they are going to be around to see this through. 

Great organizations make the right picks when it is their turn in the NFL Draft. Bills have draft capital to move up if they need to get someone. The goal now is to get Allen game time and see some progression. If the Bills finish 5-11 and get say the 6th pick, so be it.

How many years of losing and top draft picks do we need? We've had almost two decades worth of high draft picks. How has it worked out for the Browns?

This team needs to win as many games as possible. They need to learn to win. Winning is what will give Allen confidence.

I hope we never have a top 10 draft pick again.

23 minutes ago, klos63 said:

losing has worked so well for us in the past.

Do you want to keep losing for the next twenty years, build a mediocre almost .500 team that keeps you thinking next year is the year only to finish just under .500, or build a competitive team that wins above .500 with playoffs for the foreseeable future?  Sorry kids, these things don't happen overnight and this team has been poorly run since 2000; takes time and drafting! 

If Allen is healthy he should be in the game and every game from here on out. Talented or not he gives us the best chance of winning which we should be teaching these guys to do, if Beane is a good talent evaluator which from his short tenure here it looks like he is (Edmunds, Allen, Harrison, Johnson) then he can find talent throughout the draft. 

I'm not on board in ever rooting for a loss or trying to get a loss.  While I can handle some of the inevitable losses we will suffer in our remaining 7 games, and see the silver lining of improved draft position, this organization after its shocking playoff appearance last year will be better served by a 5-11 season than a 2-14 season, as crazy as that sounds.

As for Josh Allen, I would prefer to see him sit through the bye week, and want the decision to play him based on his development, and not 2018 season goals.  I don't think there is any clear NFL roadmap as to watching the first year vs playing the first year, so McD can decide based on some of the little personal things along with health, and I'm fine either way.

But we aren't going to be drafting a franchise QB this year, where the difference between #1 and #2 and #5 really matters, and position player drafts in the top ten are a crap shoot, so I am not rooting for a loss any game all season, and that strategy I think we should start all referring to as the Losers Fallacy.

Top non-QBs in last five drafts that we have a little time to evaluate

2011: Von Miller 2, Dareus 3, AJGreen 4, Peterson 5, Julio Jones 6 (JJ Watt 11)...doesn't seem like losing an extra game made a difference, and I would love to pick Watt

2012: Richardson 3, Kalil 4, Blackmon 5, Claiborne 6, Barron 7, Kuechly 8, Gillmore 9...I'm happy picking 8 or 9 in that draft too.

2013: Fisher 1, Joekel 2, Jordon 3, Johnson 4, Ansah 5, Mingo 6...top tackles are nice...

2014:  Clowney 1, Robinson 2, Watkins 4, Mack 5, Matthews 6, Evans 7, Gilbert 8, Barr 9, Ebron 10, Lewan 11, Beckham 12....if you were going to trade up to #4, I wanted to pick Mack on draft day, and if you are picking 5, 7, 12 in this draft you are fine too.

2015: FOwler 3, Cooper 4, Scherff 5...Gurley 10...I don't mind picking smart at 10 in this draft...

A higher pick is always a great thing to have, and I'm rooting for the Giants, Raiders, Niners, Cardinals, Browns, Jets to help us out with some meaningless wins in the next few weeks, but not picking a QB, improving draft stock by tanking and being a joke of a team doesn't really add up to a winning future.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Steptide said:

I might sound a little ignorant, but now that we've drafted our franchise qb(hopefully) I don't find as important to have a top 3 or 5 pick. 

Same. I think we're playing bad enough to possibly land there naturally. And as a Houston Cougar season ticket holder, I'd be pumped if we got Oliver. But I'm not gonna advocate for a tank. These guys need to win to build confidence, as cliche as that sounds. I'm rooting for them to win and show improvement in every area possible. If we land a top pick when the season ends, cool. But that's not the endgame I'm rooting for. 

2 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

I have stated recently that I am warming up to the idea of shelving Josh Allen for the rest of the season.  If Derek Anderson is healthy enough he is playing on Sunday.  McD has stated as much.  I am fine with riding out DA and Matt Barkley to finish the season and secure a top 3-5 pick.  I never want to see Peterman under center again though.

Lets not win another, hope Oakland wins a few more and we grab the top overall pick. With ten total picks the Bills will be in a very good spot. 

16 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

This is the BEST post I’ve seen on here in a long while! Classic! 

No kidding right? Someone who actually watches the game and understands what a dumpster fire our offense and special teams are. 

22 minutes ago, Rocky Landing said:

Build a winning culture. That's the hard part.

No it isnt, dont you just flip a switch and it's a winning culture after losing for years and intentionally losing for picks?

24 minutes ago, vorpma said:

Do you want to keep losing for the next twenty years, build a mediocre almost .500 team that keeps you thinking next year is the year only to finish just under .500, or build a competitive team that wins above .500 with playoffs for the foreseeable future?  Sorry kids, these things don't happen overnight and this team has been poorly run since 2000; takes time and drafting! 

A .500 team with a chance to make the playoffs is much more enjoyable to watch then a 2-14  team that theres no guarantee things are going to get better. I would much rather have seasons where I hope they make the playoffs over where I hope that all the losing will maybe make the team get back to being .500 eventually

• Thank you (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

No it isnt, dont you just flip a switch and it's a winning culture after losing for years and intentionally losing for picks?

A .500 team with a chance to make the playoffs is much more enjoyable to watch then a 2-14  team that theres no guarantee things are going to get better. I would much rather have seasons where I hope they make the playoffs over where I hope that all the losing will maybe make the team get back to being .500 eventually

Maybe for you; me I want a team that competes much like the 1990's Bills; I have watched three Bills teams rebuild after dismal seasons much like or worse than 2018. Lot of fun once it comes together but it takes time and most of all patience! I'd rather watch 2018 with hope than yawn through 2001 - 2016 knowing the end each December!

It doesn't really matter about wanting losses,,because NO ONE in the NFL is trying to lose games on purpose.  Teams may not have the same talent level but those who are playing, and coaching are trying to win.  These guys jobs/careers depend on it.  Losing and non-production gets people fired and/or smaller contracts.  I can guarantee that McDermott is desperate to beat the Jets this weekend as are the coaches for the Raiders, Cardinals, Giants, etc..  

• Like (+1) 1