Kubiak’s QB evaluation

WIDE LEFT

So Kubiak, who writes for the News specifically on QB performance, characterizes Peterman’s performance v Bears as “solid”. Um, that’s a joke. What QB ever produced a 32.5 rating and had that characterized as solid performance. He blames the receiver for the first interception, and there is some truth to that, but did you note how long the ball took to get there? Receiver went from wide open to partially covered/contested because DB closed on a weak throw. I could have timed that throw with an hour glass.

Interception #2 he blames on Croom not rubbing the DB off.  But Zay Jones was basically at the line of scrimmage, and the throw was behind him. That’s about a short a throw as you can make, but QB is unable to deliver it accurately. Weak arm + accuracy issues does not an NFL QB make.

He went on to praise Peterman for checking down. Well he is the first QB in NFL history to complete 31 passes for less than 200 yards. That’s pitiful.

I have enjoyed Kubiaks QB articles previously, but he is so far wrong here that I really have to question his expertise in this area. I can’t figure out what was worse, Peterman’s performance or Kubiak’s evaluation of that performance 

• Like (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, uticaclub said:

This isn’t going to get subscribers. There’s got to an in between from Sully to this sunshine and rainbows. Or maybe Sully was right

Yes, the snooze cannot find any balance period in their reporting.Feels like amateurs over there. 

Probably wouldn't read that rag if it was free. So many other choices that are free. 

Peterman wasn't awful but you certainly couldn't describe him as productive either. 

Most of the interceptions weren't his fault but he didn't make many productive plays either and his decision to scramble on the last play of the first half was just plain stupid.  I have been someone who has defended Peterman but I find it harder to do so after each of his performances.

Feel like the need to jump in ... I am not sure how many of the posters have read the entirety of Jim's piece. 

As Jim has explained since he began doing this, he evaluates the quarterback based solely on the responsibilities of the quarterback on a per play basis. Isolating only on the quarterback, did the quarterback do his job? He grades each play with a plus or a minus. His grade for Peterman in the game based solely on those plays was 89 percent in looking at 81 plays. As he has explained, is the ball on time? Is the ball in the right place? 

He also writes that Peterman got no help from his supporting cast and the pressure is immense on any Bills quarterback because of that. Most analysts agree that at least two of the interceptions Sunday were not his fault. 

Jim writes: "The objective truth is that Peterman should not be expected to go out and win games for Buffalo on his own. His job is to manage the situations, read the coverage and deliver the football where it is supposed to go, when it is supposed to be there. He cannot control fumbles, deflections, missed assignments, or lack of execution in one-on-one situations. Peterman, or any quarterback for that matter, can only control his decisions and his execution on each given play."

If you have read each of the now 13 pieces that Jim has written, it's not sunshine and rainbows. He breaks down each play based on the quarterback's job on the play and then writes what he sees. Go back and look at his percentages for other games: 

Vs. Houston: 76 percent

Vs. Packers: 68 percent

Vs. Chargers: 72 percent

It's a results driven league, and the results are not there for the Bills as a team. We have written that over and over. We also have written about Peterman's deficiencies over and over. What Jim does is what I outlined above. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 3

my question(s) is/are: were there receivers running intermediate/deep patterns?...and if so, how tight was the coverage and how much time was there before the ball had to come out?

how many of these short throws were by design?...and play calling. i get hammering on someone that checks down when he has time and guys running open, but how much of this was the case? i don't have the all 22 etc. and i was so mad at the play calling that i was drinking...well quickly?

any way, just start nate against the jets and see if there's any chance he can up his game or improve upon last week. go into the bye and get josh ready.

as far as the bye, i'm predicting bye 28  bills 0. i'm sure we will go into the bye week as underdogs.

man our receivers sans zay really suck. that being said...vs. the jets put sidestep and ivory in the backfield and either handoff or pass alternatively. there' 4 plays to run nonstop.

on 2nd and shorts send 3 wrs intermediate and deep and take a shot.

4 minutes ago, JoshBarnett said:

Peterman got no help from his supporting cast and the pressure is immense on any Bills quarterback because of that.

Peterman, and anyone else who plays for the McBeanester's response to this analysis should be:

giphy.gif

.....and if they continue to play for the McBeanster: 

RespectfulViciousArmadillo-size_restrict

(if you know your comedies, you don't need to hear these) 

34 minutes ago, JoshBarnett said:

Feel like the need to jump in ... I am not sure how many of the posters have read the entirety of Jim's piece. 

As Jim has explained since he began doing this, he evaluates the quarterback based solely on the responsibilities of the quarterback on a per play basis. Isolating only on the quarterback, did the quarterback do his job? He grades each play with a plus or a minus. His grade for Peterman in the game based solely on those plays was 89 percent in looking at 81 plays. As he has explained, is the ball on time? Is the ball in the right place? 

He also writes that Peterman got no help from his supporting cast and the pressure is immense on any Bills quarterback because of that. Most analysts agree that at least two of the interceptions Sunday were not his fault. 

Jim writes: "The objective truth is that Peterman should not be expected to go out and win games for Buffalo on his own. His job is to manage the situations, read the coverage and deliver the football where it is supposed to go, when it is supposed to be there. He cannot control fumbles, deflections, missed assignments, or lack of execution in one-on-one situations. Peterman, or any quarterback for that matter, can only control his decisions and his execution on each given play."

If you have read each of the now 13 pieces that Jim has written, it's not sunshine and rainbows. He breaks down each play based on the quarterback's job on the play and then writes what he sees. Go back and look at his percentages for other games: 

Vs. Houston: 76 percent

Vs. Packers: 68 percent

Vs. Chargers: 72 percent

It's a results driven league, and the results are not there for the Bills as a team. We have written that over and over. We also have written about Peterman's deficiencies over and over. What Jim does is what I outlined above. 

“Is the ball on time” “Is the ball in the right place” - Well the first interception,  although it could have been caught, was certainly not on time. Receiver was open, but the throw was late ( due to lack of velocity) allowing the DB to contest. Second interception- how does anybody characterize that throw as a “ball in the right place” ?  Zay Jones was at the line of scrimmage, a very short throw, and the ball was well behind him. As far as “manage the situation”, I note that Kubiak never mentions the decision to attempt a 50 yard scramble at the end of first half, rather than throw a Hail Mary.  I don’t believe the Bills game plan was to have their average pass attempt be less than 3 yards, an NFL record low. That was Peterman’s decision.   As I stated, I have enjoyed some of Kubiak’s previous articles, but he his way off on this one and your explanation of why he characterizes this performance as productive just doesn’t cut it. It was historically unproductive 

• Like (+1) 3