Kubiak’s QB evaluation

WIDE LEFT

1 hour ago, JoshBarnett said:

Feel like the need to jump in ... I am not sure how many of the posters have read the entirety of Jim's piece. 

As Jim has explained since he began doing this, he evaluates the quarterback based solely on the responsibilities of the quarterback on a per play basis. Isolating only on the quarterback, did the quarterback do his job? He grades each play with a plus or a minus. His grade for Peterman in the game based solely on those plays was 89 percent in looking at 81 plays. As he has explained, is the ball on time? Is the ball in the right place? 

You can't be serious that he made the the right decision 72 of 81 plays (81 x .89)?  

Interested in the 9 bad decisions?  Do bad throws count (or just that her made the decision, regardless of a `good throw or not)?

Heck I remember Allen being criticized for making the right decision and completing a pass downfield if it did not hit the receiver in the #'s. 

Peterman is a genius doing that with no help.  

That is as stupid a column as could be written.

Maybe he meant "solid" as in, he played within the game plan? I mean, Peterman knows the playbook, he knows where the ball is intended to go on any given passing situation, he's a smart enough guy to call out the correct protections most of the time and he has shown the ability to throw quickly and on time. Those are all solid QB traits. Where Peterman falls short is his arm strength and his confidence once a bad play happens. That attempt to scramble to the end zone instead of throwing the Hail Mary? That's him being too afraid of having the ball picked off again and having something bad happen. But the likelihood of a defender intercepting a Hail Mary and taking it 100 yards the other way is slim, so he should've just thrown it up there and hoped for the best, but he didn't even have the confidence to try it at that point.

After those two interceptions his confidence was shot. I won't fault him for the one to Pryor. It was a poorly placed ball but it was still catchable and if you're a professional WR and you get your hands on the ball, you have to make that catch. The one that bounced off Zay was a really flukey kinda play, but the ball placement didn't help. It was low and away, Zay had to stop, turn and try to get low to catch it, gets smacked by a DB at the same time, ball hits him in the arm and takes a weird bounce to Floyd who walks in for the TD. Those types of plays can knock the wind out of the sails for any player. He's honestly had some of the worst luck I've ever seen for any QB. When these things happen, it has to mess with you mentally. He has to be thinking, "What else can I do? What else DO I do?!" and when he hits that point he starts getting reckless with the ball, makes bad decisions and throws picks all by himself (meaning, no deflections or weird bounces). 

With a better supporting cast and an established offensive identity, sure, Nate Peterman is a decent backup quarterback. He's a fifth round pick with a definite "game manager" style of play so in a better environment he would probably be capable of coming in and holding down the fort for a couple of games. But only if the team had a good run game to lean on or some elite offensive playmakers they could scheme for. But they don't have any of that so Peterman just looks like straight caca. 

He's a good kid. I'm sure he works hard. I'm certain no one feels as bad as he does about all of this. But at this point, I just can't see how you can keep him on the team. Bad things happen when he's on the field. At least with Allen, if the play breaks down, the kid has the ability to try and make something happen. Nate doesn't have that luxury. For him to succeed, things need to go as planned and he needs a very strong supporting cast because he is not the type of QB to elevate the play of his teammates. 

If I'm McBeane, I'm looking for a more capable backup in free agency and the draft. Both. Bring in a veteran via free agency (unless Anderson decides he'd like to stay, I'm alright with him being the mentor-type for Allen, he helped Cam a lot) and grab a QB prospect in the mid-rounds. 

I'm all in on the process. I'm all in on Allen. I'm all in on Beane and McDermott. That's not to say they don't deserve criticism. They definitely botched the handling of the QB position this season. A 3-man QB competition is never a good idea. Going into the season without a veteran backup is also not a good idea. Trial and error, though. Gotta allow these guys room to make mistakes so they can learn from them. Hopefully what they've experienced this season will motivate them to handle the QB spot much differently in 2019... and to me, that means, Josh Allen is your unquestioned #1... Derek Anderson or another veteran that can be a solid mentor to Allen is your #2... and your #3 is maybe a mid-round rookie or Matt Barkley, he at least has some starting experience, hasn't had the crazy debacles like Peterman and could hold it down with a strong supporting cast... lastly... Nate Peterman receives his pink slip. Thanks for playing, Nate, but... if it were me, I just wouldn't be able to find any decent reason to bring him back. I'd cut him loose and wish him the best and hope maybe he can go somewhere and get a fresh start.

Edited by blacklabel

59 minutes ago, WIDE LEFT said:

“Is the ball on time” “Is the ball in the right place” - Well the first interception,  although it could have been caught, was certainly not on time. Receiver was open, but the throw was late ( due to lack of velocity) allowing the DB to contest. Second interception- how does anybody characterize that throw as a “ball in the right place” ?  Zay Jones was at the line of scrimmage, a very short throw, and the ball was well behind him. As far as “manage the situation”, I note that Kubiak never mentions the decision to attempt a 50 yard scramble at the end of first half, rather than throw a Hail Mary.  I don’t believe the Bills game plan was to have their average pass attempt be less than 3 yards, an NFL record low. That was Peterman’s decision.   As I stated, I have enjoyed some of Kubiak’s previous articles, but he his way off on this one and your explanation of why he characterizes this performance as productive just doesn’t cut it. It was historically unproductive 

The throw was behind Zay because of the defender.  If he threw in front of Zay it is right to the defensive player.  As it was the defensive player hit Zay well before the ball got there.

Therefore either Croom needed to do a better job of shielding Jones on the throw - or based upon the defense Zay needed to settle down to allow the back shoulder throw and turn it up field to get the first.

There is no overall defense of Peterman - it was a bad performance, but if you watch around the league - there are throws that get caught by other WRs that bail out the QB and here the WR seems to bat that ball up for an Int.  Some is on the QB, but the WRs/TEs do not help.

2 hours ago, MJS said:

I'll take his analysis over yours.

Of course you will. Because every NFL expert would agree with you that a QB with a 32.5 QB rating, 3 interceptions, an historical NFL record low of 3 yards per pass attempt and a idiotic decision to try to scramble for 50 yards at the end of a half instead of throwing a Hail Mary had a very productive day. That’s your analysis genius. Most would differ. Almost all would differ. Peterman might even differ

9 hours ago, WIDE LEFT said:

Of course you will. Because every NFL expert would agree with you that a QB with a 32.5 QB rating, 3 interceptions, an historical NFL record low of 3 yards per pass attempt and a idiotic decision to try to scramble for 50 yards at the end of a half instead of throwing a Hail Mary had a very productive day. That’s your analysis genius. Most would differ. Almost all would differ. Peterman might even differ

Did I say that? Nope. I said I would trust an expert's opinion over your useless, jaded, biased, and insignificant opinion. If you can't accept that, I really don't care.

13 hours ago, WIDE LEFT said:

“Is the ball on time” “Is the ball in the right place” - Well the first interception,  although it could have been caught, was certainly not on time. Receiver was open, but the throw was late ( due to lack of velocity) allowing the DB to contest. Second interception- how does anybody characterize that throw as a “ball in the right place” ?  Zay Jones was at the line of scrimmage, a very short throw, and the ball was well behind him. As far as “manage the situation”, I note that Kubiak never mentions the decision to attempt a 50 yard scramble at the end of first half, rather than throw a Hail Mary.  I don’t believe the Bills game plan was to have their average pass attempt be less than 3 yards, an NFL record low. That was Peterman’s decision.   As I stated, I have enjoyed some of Kubiak’s previous articles, but he his way off on this one and your explanation of why he characterizes this performance as productive just doesn’t cut it. It was historically unproductive 

Correct. 

Sorry to diss "Jim" but anyone who thinks the throw on the 2nd interception was accurate knows nothing about football and should be ignored. It was at least 2 feet behind a receiver running an in breaking route despite being a throw of less than 10 yards. 

Gee if Kubiak is correct and Peterman’s performance against the  Bears was “productive”, it’s awfully curious that the Bills intend to start Matt Barkley over him. Barkley’s been on the team for all of ten days, and doesn’t exactly have much of a resume of success in the NFL. But I guess the Bills coaching staff reviewed film of the Bears game many times, and judged that Peterman’s performance was anything but productive 

On ‎11‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 1:42 PM, blacklabel said:

Maybe he meant "solid" as in, he played within the game plan? I mean, Peterman knows the playbook, he knows where the ball is intended to go on any given passing situation, he's a smart enough guy to call out the correct protections most of the time and he has shown the ability to throw quickly and on time. Those are all solid QB traits. Where Peterman falls short is his arm strength and his confidence once a bad play happens. That attempt to scramble to the end zone instead of throwing the Hail Mary? That's him being too afraid of having the ball picked off again and having something bad happen. But the likelihood of a defender intercepting a Hail Mary and taking it 100 yards the other way is slim, so he should've just thrown it up there and hoped for the best, but he didn't even have the confidence to try it at that point.

After those two interceptions his confidence was shot. I won't fault him for the one to Pryor. It was a poorly placed ball but it was still catchable and if you're a professional WR and you get your hands on the ball, you have to make that catch. The one that bounced off Zay was a really flukey kinda play, but the ball placement didn't help. It was low and away, Zay had to stop, turn and try to get low to catch it, gets smacked by a DB at the same time, ball hits him in the arm and takes a weird bounce to Floyd who walks in for the TD. Those types of plays can knock the wind out of the sails for any player. He's honestly had some of the worst luck I've ever seen for any QB. When these things happen, it has to mess with you mentally. He has to be thinking, "What else can I do? What else DO I do?!" and when he hits that point he starts getting reckless with the ball, makes bad decisions and throws picks all by himself (meaning, no deflections or weird bounces). 

With a better supporting cast and an established offensive identity, sure, Nate Peterman is a decent backup quarterback. He's a fifth round pick with a definite "game manager" style of play so in a better environment he would probably be capable of coming in and holding down the fort for a couple of games. But only if the team had a good run game to lean on or some elite offensive playmakers they could scheme for. But they don't have any of that so Peterman just looks like straight caca. 

He's a good kid. I'm sure he works hard. I'm certain no one feels as bad as he does about all of this. But at this point, I just can't see how you can keep him on the team. Bad things happen when he's on the field. At least with Allen, if the play breaks down, the kid has the ability to try and make something happen. Nate doesn't have that luxury. For him to succeed, things need to go as planned and he needs a very strong supporting cast because he is not the type of QB to elevate the play of his teammates. 

If I'm McBeane, I'm looking for a more capable backup in free agency and the draft. Both. Bring in a veteran via free agency (unless Anderson decides he'd like to stay, I'm alright with him being the mentor-type for Allen, he helped Cam a lot) and grab a QB prospect in the mid-rounds. 

I'm all in on the process. I'm all in on Allen. I'm all in on Beane and McDermott. That's not to say they don't deserve criticism. They definitely botched the handling of the QB position this season. A 3-man QB competition is never a good idea. Going into the season without a veteran backup is also not a good idea. Trial and error, though. Gotta allow these guys room to make mistakes so they can learn from them. Hopefully what they've experienced this season will motivate them to handle the QB spot much differently in 2019... and to me, that means, Josh Allen is your unquestioned #1... Derek Anderson or another veteran that can be a solid mentor to Allen is your #2... and your #3 is maybe a mid-round rookie or Matt Barkley, he at least has some starting experience, hasn't had the crazy debacles like Peterman and could hold it down with a strong supporting cast... lastly... Nate Peterman receives his pink slip. Thanks for playing, Nate, but... if it were me, I just wouldn't be able to find any decent reason to bring him back. I'd cut him loose and wish him the best and hope maybe he can go somewhere and get a fresh start.

With this O line and receiving corps, it is impossible to evaluate either NP or JA.  The first quarter shows that NP can run the offense;  however, a high percentage of the time, NP has been in games (LAC, Balt, Chi) that are jail breaks and he's running for his life.  Not many QBs can impress under these circumstances.  Finally, while NP gets a beat down for his performance in the Bears game, if it was JA, most would say that he played solid.  I say NP made progress in that game, even though the best defense was sending the kitchen sink.  The no hail Mary was a bone-head play.  The rest was pretty good all things considered.

7 minutes ago, Ga boy said:

With this O line and receiving corps, it is impossible to evaluate either NP or JA.  The first quarter shows that NP can run the offense;  however, a high percentage of the time, NP has been in games (LAC, Balt, Chi) that are jail breaks and he's running for his life.  Not many QBs can impress under these circumstances.  Finally, while NP gets a beat down for his performance in the Bears game, if it was JA, most would say that he played solid.  I say NP made progress in that game, even though the best defense was sending the kitchen sink.  The no hail Mary was a bone-head play.  The rest was pretty good all things considered.

Just stop it please....