What has happened to Ryan Lewis?

gjv001

7 hours ago, starrymessenger said:

Not surprised to see them give Gaines his shot ahead of Lewis, though it didn't work out. Lewis is fine as long as the play is in front of him but he has trouble defending longer game busting routes. He's an athletic freak no doubt but despite his straight line speed, he often loses a step when he turns and for some reason he is slow to recover. I guess the juice in his 40 time is more towards the end than the beginning. Looking forward to seeing what Wallace can do. 

This is well thought out reasoning which means most of the board will ignore it.

Why Ryan Lewis is ready to follow family's NFL footsteps

x3skcczpsjnur5tiafou.png

It was going to be the biggest game of Ryan Lewis’ young football career. The only thing was he didn’t know it.

As a starting cornerback for Pitt, Lewis was still trying to adapt to playing football in reverse having been a high school running back. But his uncle, Pitt alum, and former NFL cornerback, Tim Lewis, was going to make sure his nephew knew full well the meaning of Pitt versus Penn State.

“I remember when coach (Jackie) Sherrill recruited me. He had always made it abundantly clear that the only kids that went to Pitt were the kids that Penn State didn’t want or were not good enough for Penn State,” said Tim Lewis. “I kind of hit him below the belt and reminded him of that. Anything to motivate him. I told him to remind his teammates of that too. I don’t know if it worked, but I let him know that Penn State didn’t think he was good enough.”

“I was getting taped up in the training room a couple of hours before the game and he called me and said, ‘I know the coaches have probably given you all the information about what this game means to everyone. But I have to let you know everything,” Ryan recalled. “‘They always used to say the dumb kids go to Pitt and the smart kids go to Penn State. Good football players go to Penn State and lesser players go to Pitt.’ It was good stuff. It gave me some juice.”

19 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...yet in between and a Patsies' slaughter feared, we gave up 25 to them for whatever reason.....is the thread citing the number of blowout losses fake news or of concern from your perspective?....are the numbers surrendered misleading?......just curious......

I don't disagree that the blowout losses are a concern. I knew going into this season that they weren't gonna win much, however I really expected them to be a bit more competitive in these losses. They over estimated their offensive talent (or maybe they knew how bad it was and left it that way anyway, who knows) and they bumbled the QB spot. Should've had a veteran in here as soon as they traded McCarron. I dunno, Peterman must really be an all pro in practice because that's the only way I can see them agreeing that a QB room of just Allen and Peterman was good enough.

The numbers in the blowouts do deserve some context. That's basically what I was saying in regards to the Bears game. The Bills offense is responsible for two turnovers that the Bears defense took to the house, that's 14 points that can't be faulted on Buffalo's defense. The offense also had another turnover that set the Bears up deep in Bills territory and they scored. I believe the defense had gotten the Bears off the field without scoring on their previous two possessions. They got the ball back to their offense who gave it right back to the Bears which caused a winded defense to have to go back out there and try to stop them on a super short field and they couldn't. 

Against New England, the defense held them to 12 points off four field goals early into the 4th quarter. They did more than enough to give the team a chance but the offense just cannot get moving. Eventually the defense wears down, which it did in this case and led to 13 4th quarter points. But I'm probably not chewing out my defense at practice the next day because if they just got done holding Tom Brady to nothing but field goals for the majority of a game I'd consider that a job well done. And I'd be livid with my offense for not doing their part. 

As for the Colts game, they've since admitted that they were trying some different looks and things on defense and clearly it didn't work. I don't know what compelled them to get away from their main style of play but it cost them. And you could see in that game that by the time Indy had scored 20 points, most of the defense looked like they were mailing it in as they knew there was no way their offense would mount a comeback. Is that ok? Eh, probably not if you're a coach. But I'm not a coach so I can see how some players go into self-preservation mode when the game is out of reach. But that stuff stays on film so if those dudes that check out during a game wanna keep playing here or anywhere else then they probably shouldn't put a half-assed effort on tape but again, I can understand it.

The blowouts are a problem. They can demoralize a team and get players to start questioning whether or not the leadership is on the right track. The players all know it's a lost season at this point but that's no excuse not to go out there and put in the effort. Because again, it goes on film and some of these guys are playing for jobs so you'd hope that's at least enough motivation to play well.

Overall, it's a team game and while these blowouts make the defense look bad, we gotta look at the context and when we do, we see that the offense is not doing the defense any favors whatsoever. Constant three and outs, bad turnovers, poor execution, dumb mistakes, dumb penalties, you name it, they're doing it and a pretty good defense is having to pay for it. 

• Like (+1) 2

20 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...yet in between and a Patsies' slaughter feared, we gave up 25 to them for whatever reason.....is the thread citing the number of blowout losses fake news or of concern from your perspective?....are the numbers surrendered misleading?......just curious......

...then why did someone start a thread about the number of blowout losses under McDermott?...fake news?.......numbers alone are misleading without a game by game analysis?....BTW, I hate stats as THE only premise to prove one's point or disprove another's......far too manipulative.....comments?

Happens all the time here

Much better to look past the numbers and actually look through your own eyeballs at what is going on.   

Our D has been good....they are on the field too long and not protected by an offense that can do basically......anything

On 11/7/2018 at 9:20 AM, gjv001 said:

It seemed to me that Ryan Lewis was playing well and solidifying the CB spot across from White. The last I heard he was declared a healthy deactivation from the 53 man roster a couple weeks ago. Does anyone have any credible imformation about Lewis's deactivation?

I was thinking the same thing.  Was listening to Murph/Tasker show at lunchtime today and they stated likely due to his failure to fully digest the complex coverage schemes they use.  Extra time in last few weeks to get up to speed is what Murphy said he was told by coaches.

The roster changes are an indication that the team is shifting from doing what they can to win this year to developing for the future.  Lewis is a younger player who has some areas of his game that need development.  He may have been working and improving in practice.  Phillip Gaines also has some shortcomings, but unlike Lewis, what you see is what you get.  He's to the point in his career where he's not going to improve that much, but Lewis has plenty of room to grow.  Hopefully he's been doing exactly that.

Edited by TigerJ

On 11/7/2018 at 4:10 PM, John from Riverside said:

Even the good defensive teams are giving up points this year.....

The bears are suppose to be great on D...they have given up points

The Jags the same

Why do we hold our team to a higher standard then the rest of the league?

One might realize this is why we should’ve built an offense first