What has happened to Ryan Lewis?

gjv001

It seemed to me that Ryan Lewis was playing well and solidifying the CB spot across from White. The last I heard he was declared a healthy deactivation from the 53 man roster a couple weeks ago. Does anyone have any credible imformation about Lewis's deactivation?

Just now, gjv001 said:

It seemed to me that Ryan Lewis was playing well and solidifying the CB spot across from White. The last I heard he was declared a healthy deactivation from the 53 man roster a couple weeks ago. Does anyone have any credible imformation about Lewis's deactivation?

He's likely to start this week with the departure of Gaines who was waived yesterday. 

• Like (+1) 1

They signed Dontae Johnson to take a look at him. He was terrible and released. I suppose they were giving Gaines the look since he earned it in the off season and was healthy. Pitts dresses because he is a core special teams guy. I agree, Lewis looked pretty good in action and now we will see him playing again. 

I don't know what these coaches are looking at when they watch the tape. Gaines doesn't know how to play the football, has slow catch up speed and panics when he is in position to make a play. I am happy Lewis is starting, but I don't want to see him playing five feet of his coverage responsibility. Lewis is physical and a great tackler. Thought he played really well in green bay, then the coaches put him on the bench. Any way coaches now cut 82, 2,10 THEY SUCK

Not surprised to see them give Gaines his shot ahead of Lewis, though it didn't work out. Lewis is fine as long as the play is in front of him but he has trouble defending longer game busting routes. He's an athletic freak no doubt but despite his straight line speed, he often loses a step when he turns and for some reason he is slow to recover. I guess the juice in his 40 time is more towards the end than the beginning. Looking forward to seeing what Wallace can do. 

Gaines didn't exactly earn the job in the offseason as we all thought Vontae would pan out at DB2, despite some on here correctly predicting his age making him irrelevant. But when Vontae quit, Gaines was next on the depth chart that had earned his place there, and became a regular replacement that was only really worked into our nickel sets before then.

I know people don't ever want to do it, but gotta give credit to McD for letting him go mid-season and start testing out the depth and roster with Lewis and Wallace. I just hope this doesn't mean we get more big nickel instead of seeing more Lewis, Taron, and Wallace...

Edited by ctk232
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Soda Popinski said:

McDermott is all over the place with this #2 CB spot.  They go with Gaines all season, then they cut him??   now brought up a guy from the PS to compete as well. 

....well McClappy is a defensive guru.

tenor.gif

6 hours ago, MiltonWaddams said:

Tough to question too much on the defensive side of the roster this season with the O looking like dog turd, but after Lewis' play vs the Vikings and Packers, I'm not too sure what the coaches were seeing that had them put Gaines in.

...agreed...rock solid giving up 41 to the Bears and 37 to the Colts...........

• Like (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

Even the good defensive teams are giving up points this year.....

The bears are suppose to be great on D...they have given up points

The Jags the same

Why do we hold our team to a higher standard then the rest of the league?

21 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

I'll give you the Colts game but subtract 14 of those 41 points from the Bears because they scored two defensive TDs. So, in reality the defense only allowed 27 points, which isn't terrible. There was also another offensive turnover that set the Bears up just outside the red zone.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, blacklabel said:

I'll give you the Colts game but subtract 14 of those 41 points from the Bears because they scored two defensive TDs. So, in reality the defense only allowed 27 points, which isn't terrible. There was also another offensive turnover that set the Bears up just outside the red zone.

...yet in between and a Patsies' slaughter feared, we gave up 25 to them for whatever reason.....is the thread citing the number of blowout losses fake news or of concern from your perspective?....are the numbers surrendered misleading?......just curious......

16 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Even the good defensive teams are giving up points this year.....

The bears are suppose to be great on D...they have given up points

The Jags the same

Why do we hold our team to a higher standard then the rest of the league?

...then why did someone start a thread about the number of blowout losses under McDermott?...fake news?.......numbers alone are misleading without a game by game analysis?....BTW, I hate stats as THE only premise to prove one's point or disprove another's......far too manipulative.....comments?

• Like (+1) 1