College Basketball 2018-19

Augie

Hurley acts like an idiot every game. His team is no pushover though, they beat Kansas, Miss St, and a good Ut St team out of conference. They finished 2nd in the PAC 12(which I admit had a down year), and went 3-3 quad 1, 8-3 quad 2. Still can't understand why a team with that resume would have to play into the tournament, or why any 11 seed would have to play in. Stupid imo.

Edited by Turk71

6 minutes ago, Turk71 said:

M I'llHurley acts like an idiot every game. His team is no pushover though, they beat Kansas, Miss St, and a good Ut St team out of conference. They finished 2nd in the PAC 12(which I admit had a down year), and went 3-3 quad 1, 8-3 quad 2. Still can't understand why a team with that resume would have to play into the tournament, or why any 11 seed would have to play in. Stupid imo.

I was just wondering today how the seeding works. Wouldn’t it make sense to have a play in game for a 16th seed? How do they do a play in game for an 11th seed. Isn’t that basically admitting that a team (St Johns in this case) isn’t making the tournament while a worse team (a 12-16 seed) makes it?

Edited by Bills2ref
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Bills2ref said:

I was just wondering today how the seeding works. Wouldn’t it make sense to have a play in game for a 16th seed? How do they do a play in game for an 11th seed. Isn’t that basically admitting that a team (St Johns in this case) isn’t making the tournament while a worse team (a 12-16 seed) makes it?

It makes no sense at all to me. Also only some of the 11 teams have to play in, seems really off and unfair. If they insist on these play in games it should be for all of the 16 spots imo.

24 minutes ago, Turk71 said:

It makes no sense at all to me. Also only some of the 11 teams have to play in, seems really off and unfair. If they insist on these play in games it should be for all of the 16 spots imo.

30 minutes ago, Bills2ref said:

It is because of the number of seeds now in the tournament... automatic bids vs at large 

The first 4 puts the 4 lowest seeded automatic qualifier vs each other and the 4 lowest at large bids vs each other 

its actually put together well

the lowest 4 at large bids are 11 seeds and they play each other 

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Turk71 said:

To me, logically, both St John’s and Arizona would be in. This playoff game would be for the 11th seed. The loser gets 12, 12 goes to 13, etc. 16th seed would obviously get bumped then. 

22 hours ago, KD in CA said:

Yes, the ‘play-in’ games are absurd and cheapens the whole tournament.

Come on man, it doesn't cheapen the whole tournament.  If you don't like, just don't start watching the tournament until Thursday.  & keep this in mind there have been 4 teams that have played in the play in game since it has been created that have reached the sweet sixteen & one team(VCU) that has made it the final four.  I am not crazy about the games & rarely watch them but it doesn't really bother & certainly doesn't cheapen the whole tournament.  

21 hours ago, eball said:

The key to beating Dook isn't stopping Zion...it's stopping Barrett, or at least making him take an inordinate amount of shots to get his points.  Make no mistake, they are the prohibitive favorite to win this thing for good reason, but they are not unbeatable.

UNC actually outplayed them for a good part of the game Friday  night.  I thought they were the better team.  I don't think this is a similar case of UK back in 2014.  They were far superior to any team in the field.  There are 6-7 teams that are pretty close with Duke getting the slight edge over them because they have the best player.  3 things concern me about Duke.  Their three point shooting, their foul shooting & their inexperience.  They are the favorite, but it is going to be interesting to see how this plays out.  

11 hours ago, Bills2ref said:

The 12 thru 16 seeds are usually auto qualifiers.  When they set this up, I think they wanted to limit the teams playing in the play in game that were auto qualifiers.  The 11 seeds for the most part are usually the last at large bids to make it & that is why they pit the 11 seeds against each other in 2 of the games.  

Edited by Gordio

12 hours ago, Bills2ref said:

No.  Many (most?) of the 14-16 seeds are in only because of winning their conference tournaments, but they are crappy teams.  So those bids are spoken for.  The 11 vs. 11 games are typically between at-large bid teams.

1 hour ago, Gordio said:

The 12 thru 16 seeds are usually auto qualifiers.  When they set this up, I think they wanted to limit the teams playing in the play in game that were auto qualifiers.  The 11 seeds for the most part are usually the last at large bids to make it & that is why they pit the 11 seeds against each other in 2 of the games.  

Ha, you beat me to it.

NM State down 2 with the ball to Auburn when a kid gets fouled on a missed 3 pointer under 2 seconds left. The 78% FT shooter misses 2 of 3 and they lose. Bruce Pearl advances, but I feel for that kid on a 12 seed who was a good shooter and had the game in his hands at the line. You figure at worst it’s OT.  Ouch! That’s gonna sting!

Keep your chin up, young man! 

8 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

This kid from Murray State plays like John Stockton.

He tore Marquette apart. What an impressive performance, triple double.

3 hours ago, Augie said:

NM State down 2 with the ball to Auburn when a kid gets fouled on a missed 3 pointer under 2 seconds left. The 78% FT shooter misses 2 of 3 and they lose. Bruce Pearl advances, but I feel for that kid on a 12 seed who was a good shooter and had the game in his hands at the line. You figure at worst it’s OT.  Ouch! That’s gonna sting!

Keep your chin up, young man! 

What was even worse was the guy who passed on an easy left hand layup to tie the game with 2secs left.

1 minute ago, 4merper4mer said:

He dominated the game and took 8 shots total.  Incredible vision.

He was involved in 53 points and only took 9 shots. Wow. 16 assists and 11 rebounds to go with 17 points. 

37 minutes ago, Turk71 said:

He tore Marquette apart. What an impressive performance, triple double.

What was even worse was the guy who passed on an easy left hand layup to tie the game with 2secs left.

Did he think they were down three, I wonder, or just try to end it? Tie the game!!! It was basically uncontested. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Augie said:

Did he think they were down three, I wonder, or just try to end it? Tie the game!!! It was basically uncontested. 

I wonder if he did think they were down 3. It made no sense, he had a clear path and he was at the rim when he passed it. The guy who got the ball was shocked I think, I know I was. He should have made 2 of the 3 but also should not have been in that situation in the first place.

Edited by Turk71

1 hour ago, Turk71 said:

I wonder if he did think they were down 3. It made no sense, he had a clear path and he was at the rim when he passed it. The guy who got the ball was shocked I think, I know I was. He should have made 2 of the 3 but also should not have been in that situation in the first place.

He was a 78% FT shooter on the year. Pressure is not your friend. 

Edited by Augie

4 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Neither is spelling lol

But wine is! (Not to mention the fat fingers.) I always go back and correct my many typos when I notice them, even if it’s days later. I did an aptitude assessment once, and they said editor was a good path for me. Think I can get my money back for that???  ?

It’s funny, I get so lazy I just let the iPad correct me for everything. Sad I know, but certainly NOT my WORST quality. 

• Haha (+1) 1