College Basketball 2018-19

Augie

13 hours ago, Augie said:

If you’ve never been to Nashville and seen Belmont, you probably don’t realize what an awesome school it is. Everyone knows Vandy, but Belmont and Lipscomb are great too. What a great town, I hope it survives all the growth. 

It'll survive and I'm sure in the very least, the Honky Tonk Highway will remain mostly the same, but after visiting a month or two ago, I'll be fascinated to see how different it is in like 5 years. Just being there for my first time one of the first things I noticed was that it felt like it was about to go through some major major development. The surrounding pockets of Nashville will be almost unrecognizable in 5-10 years IMO.

is this fake "play in" of #16s the worst form of "participation ribbon" ruination of the game?

and to call it "round one" and tell Fair-Dick that "they have now won a game in March Madness"

you have to be ***** kidding me to invent and count this game....

Just now, row_33 said:

is this fake "play in" of #16s the worst form of "participation ribbon" ruination of the game?

and to call it "round one" and tell Fair-Dick that "they have now won a game in March Madness"

you have to be ***** kidding me to invent and count this game....

Yes, the ‘play-in’ games are absurd and cheapens the whole tournament.

12 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

so Austin Carr's heatcheck game is now placed in the category of #11s and #16s playing each other?

the first round begins Thursday afternoons...

so Fairleigh Dickinson can proudly say that as a #16 seed they won a game in March Madness...

vomit...

22 minutes ago, eball said:

@row_33 and @KD in CA is this really that upsetting to you?  I think it's great.  What was dumb is when they first started it and called these four games "round 1" -- they finally scrapped that stupid idea.

yeah, a #16 doesn't deserve to claim they have "won a game" except for B-MC (or whatever it was)

good to see they've changed the decision on not counting this for "round one", it was certainly counting in programs i purchased at real second round games i attended years ago...  :D

you keep watering things down and they lose any context outside of sitting there like a mental patient thrilled that there are so many games on... unless you are gambling on them, real gambling....

18 minutes ago, eball said:

@row_33 and @KD in CA is this really that upsetting to you?  I think it's great.  What was dumb is when they first started it and called these four games "round 1" -- they finally scrapped that stupid idea.

Upsetting?  No, things that don't impact on my life are rarely upsetting.   But it's objectively stupid.  You have a tournament where one group of teams is arbitrarially assigned to play an extra game.  In the NFL or MLB byes/WCs are earned based on objective standards.  And it was done for two bad reasons a) more TV money and b) every year people whined about some team like Georgia Tech going 19-13 and getting left out.   The second one obviously has not changed as someone will always be left out.

Why do you think it's great?  If it's simply a matter of "more games = better" than why not just put 128 teams in the tournament and start it on Monday?

The NCAA tournament is great because you had a completely fair set up....until now.

Edited by KD in CA

i used to watch ski-jumping on TV at the Olympics, they'd cut the presentation down  to the top 12 and show their jumps and with some form of context and background

now they show all 85 or so competitors and there is zero context at all, not a clue about names or anything at all..

or just show the top 3 jumps in 15 seconds.

keep adding water to the mix and calling it milk

3 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

Upsetting?  No, things that don't impact on my life are rarely upsetting.   But it's objectively stupid.  You have a tournament where one group of teams is arbitrarially assigned to play an extra game.  In the NFL or MLB byes/WCs are earned based on objective standards.  And it was done for two bad reasons a) more TV money and b) every year people whined about some team like Georgia Tech going 19-13 and getting left out.   The second one obviously has not changed as someone will always be left out.

Why do you think it's great?  If it's simply a matter of "more games = better" than why not just put 128 teams in the tournament and start it on Monday?

The NCAA tournament is great because you had a completely fair set up....until now.

It's great because it gives several teams an opportunity for their games to be "showcased" without knowing it is going to be a blowout.  What do #16 seeds really have to get excited about?  Last night Fairleigh Dickinson got to be the only show in town for a national audience.  That's kind of cool.

15 minutes ago, eball said:

It's great because it gives several teams an opportunity for their games to be "showcased" without knowing it is going to be a blowout.  What do #16 seeds really have to get excited about?  Last night Fairleigh Dickinson got to be the only show in town for a national audience.  That's kind of cool.

how do you mean showcased?

do you remember the names of players you watched an hour after the game is over?

are you honestly getting uplifted by a bunch of strangers playing a HORRIBLY executed game, does this continue for more than 5 minutes after it's over?

it's bad enough when the final four has zero lottery pick players in it....

2 hours ago, DCOrange said:

It'll survive and I'm sure in the very least, the Honky Tonk Highway will remain mostly the same, but after visiting a month or two ago, I'll be fascinated to see how different it is in like 5 years. Just being there for my first time one of the first things I noticed was that it felt like it was about to go through some major major development. The surrounding pockets of Nashville will be almost unrecognizable in 5-10 years IMO.

It’s hard to recognize from 5-10 years ago already. Every perking lot downtown seems to be under development or planned for some big project. It’s cheaper to Uber into town than park.

I can’t wait for the schedule to come out! Unless the game in Nashville conflicts with a cruise we booked, I’ll be there. That was an awesome game last time, and the pedestrian walk into town makes it perfect for post-game festivities. (I much prefer the Gulch to the honky tonks, but if you're in Nashville, you should see both.)  

1 minute ago, row_33 said:

how do you mean showcased?

do you remember the names of players you watched an hour after the game is over?

are you honestly getting uplifted by a bunch of strangers playing a HORRIBLY executed game, does this continue for more than 5 minutes after it's over?

it's bad enough when the final four has zero lottery pick players in it....

I'm a fan of COLLEGE basketball.  The game was the only one being played at the time, on national TV.  That's showcased.  Yes, I still know that FDU's Darnell Edge lit it up in the game.  It's fun for the schools and players.  Everything isn't created for the at-home "I-only-want-to-see-stars" viewers.

A final four without lottery picks is a dream to me.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Bray Wyatt said:

Who ya got to win it all? Anyone besides Duke?

I like both Tennessee and Virginia personally. I think whoever comes out of that region has a pretty good chance and I think Duke's lack of shooting will eventually haunt them in one of these games. Just my gut feeling though; obviously Zion is an absolute freak of nature so it wouldn't be surprising if they win it.

Just now, DCOrange said:

I like both Tennessee and Virginia personally. I think whoever comes out of that region has a pretty good chance and I think Duke's lack of shooting will eventually haunt them in one of these games. Just my gut feeling though; obviously Zion is an absolute freak of nature so it wouldn't be surprising if they win it.

I have filled out two brackets, and I do like Virginia (have them losing to duke in the final in one and losing to Tennessee in the other) but their history worries me, although this is one of his best teams for sure. And UVA losing to Duke twice already makes it hard for me to pick them to win it, if they do in fact face each other again in the finals

Just now, DCOrange said:

The key to beating Dook isn't stopping Zion...it's stopping Barrett, or at least making him take an inordinate amount of shots to get his points.  Make no mistake, they are the prohibitive favorite to win this thing for good reason, but they are not unbeatable.

11 minutes ago, eball said:

I'm a fan of COLLEGE basketball.  The game was the only one being played at the time, on national TV.  That's showcased.  Yes, I still know that FDU's Darnell Edge lit it up in the game.  It's fun for the schools and players.  Everything isn't created for the at-home "I-only-want-to-see-stars" viewers.

A final four without lottery picks is a dream to me.

all power to you.... cheering for your alma mater or team you are attached to is awesome!!

or going to the first/second round doubleheaders in Buffalo or Detroit or Pittsburgh in the early rounds is the greatest, DO IT as much as you can!!! Forming a group of friends and relatives for an annual pilgrimage is the best.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, eball said:

The key to beating Dook isn't stopping Zion...it's stopping Barrett, or at least making him take an inordinate amount of shots to get his points.  Make no mistake, they are the prohibitive favorite to win this thing for good reason, but they are not unbeatable.

They are, but even as the favorites, you're still only talking about roughly 20% odds to win it. In all likelihood, someone else will win. I agree that stopping Zion is a fool's errand.

6 hours ago, KD in CA said:

What I really find absurd about it is half the 11 seeds have to play in. It's bad enough that half the 16s are not in the 1st round yet, but why the 11s? And why only half? If you are going to do it at all it should be all the 16s. Confounding.