College Basketball 2018-19

Augie

18 hours ago, row_33 said:

another goof to the ignore pile... what's on tap tonight for the college scene...

wonderful, play-nobody Houston and Gonzaga face cupcakes to ensure their unproven top seedings (they may very well be deserved but who know???)

Good, your opinions are stupid anyways & you know nothing about the rules of college basketball.  

13 hours ago, Another Fan said:

Hofstra 22-4 and having a good season.  Hoping they can be a Cinderella team in the tourney 

Win that conference first, doesn’t look like an at large will be handed out this year.

on tap today while the bones mend....

Terps at Michigan

Iowa St at K St

NCST at Duke til it’s garbagetime

Vols at Kentucky

50 minutes ago, row_33 said:

Win that conference first, doesn’t look like an at large will be handed out this year.

on tap today while the bones mend....

Terps at Michigan

Iowa St at K St

NCST at Duke til it’s garbagetime

Vols at Kentucky

As much as I hate Duke, I’ll tune in to see Zion. Not only is he fun to watch, but the BIL’s kids went to high school with him in Spartanburg, SC. All the little stories made me like the kid and family.

His first prom party got sketchy so he left and went to BIL’s post prom pool party last year. His parents came by first (in the middle of the night) to be sure it was a proper environment. I guess he’s got more to lose than most kids, but I think I got home a few days after the prom, with not so much as a question from my parents. That might explain some things....

The comeback against Louisville was sweet, despite Duke winning. Seeing Chris Mack’s team blow it felt kind of good. He’s done a heck of a job with that team, though. No denying that. 

1 hour ago, Augie said:

As much as I hate Duke, I’ll tune in to see Zion. Not only is he fun to watch, but the BIL’s kids went to high school with him in Spartanburg, SC. All the little stories made me like the kid and family.

His first prom party got sketchy so he left and went to BIL’s post prom pool party last year. His parents came by first (in the middle of the night) to be sure it was a proper environment. I guess he’s got more to lose than most kids, but I think I got home a few days after the prom, with not so much as a question from my parents. That might explain some things....

The comeback against Louisville was sweet, despite Duke winning. Seeing Chris Mack’s team blow it felt kind of good. He’s done a heck of a job with that team, though. No denying that. 

Cool story.

I don't really follow the NBA that much but the team I like is the Cavs.  If I read their message boards Zion is the player most fans have the heart on drafting.  Locally Knicks fans would like him as well.  I think though in today's NBA the 3 worst teams go in the lottery together for the #1 pick? 

3 hours ago, Another Fan said:

Cool story.

I don't really follow the NBA that much but the team I like is the Cavs.  If I read their message boards Zion is the player most fans have the heart on drafting.  Locally Knicks fans would like him as well.  I think though in today's NBA the 3 worst teams go in the lottery together for the #1 pick? 

I don’t follow it THAT closely, but I have heard people say two Duke players, and possibly three could all go in the top 3 picks. It’s a ridiculously loaded team. There are closer to a dozen teams in the lottery I think, but it’s heavily weighted in favor of the worst teams (how many ping pong balls in the hopper). It still doesn’t stop teams from trying to tank, so the whole thing is a bit of a mess.

Please help me see how Zion has any skills to guarantee he is going to dominate the NBA next year, especially if he goes to a horrible team.

He doesn’t create out there, no half court presence, no shot to speak of outside, works with his back to the basket when dribbling 

Its nice he is big and can dunk and shove college kids out of the way, that doesn’t cut it with the pros

if you turn down the announcers and media and ad pitchmen screaming he is the greatest ever it really isn’t all that much to watch except for his size and agility 

31 minutes ago, row_33 said:

Please help me see how Zion has any skills to guarantee he is going to dominate the NBA next year, especially if he goes to a horrible team.

He doesn’t create out there, no half court presence, no shot to speak of outside, works with his back to the basket when dribbling 

Its nice he is big and can dunk and shove college kids out of the way, that doesn’t cut it with the pros

if you turn down the announcers and media and ad pitchmen screaming he is the greatest ever it really isn’t all that much to watch except for his size and agility 

You'll change your tune.  For instance, Zion has a decent outside shot; he doesn't use it all that much, now.  Also, when LeBron came into the league, he didn't have much of an outside shot.  Talented guys can improve on most aspects of their game.

19 hours ago, eball said:

Ok, guys and gals, the latest installment of the best rivalry in college BB tips off Wednesday night.  Who ya like?

My son is a huge UNC fan so I will be rooting for them.  I just think Duke is going to have their way with them in the paint, too much size & strength for a UNC team that is a perimeter team.  If they shoot the lights out from 3 land they have a chance.  

19 hours ago, Misterbluesky said:

NC....but I have tonight on my mind,the Hokies are getting 5.5.

I think VT wins outright.

People continue to underrate this Virginia team.  They are good.  I am thinking about putting some money on them to win the tournament when I go to Vegas in a few weeks.  They are 8-1 odds right now.  

1 minute ago, Gordio said:

My son is a huge UNC fan so I will be rooting for them.  I just think Duke is going to have their way with them in the paint, too much size & strength for a UNC team that is a perimeter team.  If they shoot the lights out from 3 land they have a chance.  

Yeah, it's like the two programs switched places this year.  I've been really impressed with the Heels' shooting -- it's their best 3-pt shooting team I can remember.  I expect a Dook win but you never know in this rivalry.

3 minutes ago, eball said:

Yeah, it's like the two programs switched places this year.  I've been really impressed with the Heels' shooting -- it's their best 3-pt shooting team I can remember.  I expect a Dook win but you never know in this rivalry.

Yep, it is usually UNC that has the dominant inside presence.  When they get going they are a real good perimeter team.  Your right though,  anything can happen when these two play against each other; 4-4 in the last 8 meeting with Duke having an overall +8 point differential overall.  That is amazing how close that is.   

Edited by Gordio

I believe I just heard on Dan Patrick the UNC/Duke tickets are going for  slightly more than Super Bowl tickets did this year. 

WOW! 

I spent quite a few summers in Chapel Hill while my kids went to hoops camp there. Duke is “impressive”, but Chapel Hill is awesome in so many ways. 

19 minutes ago, Gordio said:

Yep, it is usually UNC that has the dominant inside presence.  When they get going they are a real good perimeter team.  Your right though,  anything can happen when these two play against each other; 4-4 in the last 8 meeting with Duke having an overall +8 point differential overall.  That is amazing how close that is.   

Yep.  I'm curious to see how Roy plans to deal with Zion.

On 2/16/2019 at 8:03 PM, Formerly Allan in MD said:

You'll change your tune.  For instance, Zion has a decent outside shot; he doesn't use it all that much, now.  Also, when LeBron came into the league, he didn't have much of an outside shot.  Talented guys can improve on most aspects of their game.

LeBron drove to the hoop, face to the basket, with the best from Day One in the NBA, he took on the entire Pistons team by himself in a playoff series not too far into his career.

I've been watching college 45 years and they love to hype a kid every season, but it more often than not doesn't pan out all that great.

My first year of watching really seriously was the Magic/Bird year 1978-79, there hasn't been anything like that in one season since. Probably never will be again.

Zion is big and hyped, wish him well, never enough superstars in the NBA, I just don't see how he fits into a game where the best are putting up dozens of 3PFGA every night.