College Basketball 2018-19

Augie

4 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

I watched the whole game last nite.. how was that goaltending ?? The LSU player didn’t touch the ball till it was off the rim right? 

That negates The goaltending I thought? 

Not if his hand was in the cylinder plane.

Edited by K-9

5 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

I watched the whole game last nite.. how was that goaltending ?? The LSU player didn’t touch the ball till it was off the rim right? 

That negates The goaltending I thought? 

I didn’t see it. Was any part of the ball in the cylinder? 

it was clearly 100% offensive goaltending on the tap-in, half the ball is in the cylinder

but they can't review that, just whether the release beat the clock, which it clearly did

the ref didn't call the goaltending, so LSU wins at Kentucky

great game, i can see 18 teams can win it all this year depending on how hot they get at the right time

the fun begins at 8::00

Edited by row_33

9 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Not if his hand was in the cylinder plane.

7 minutes ago, Augie said:

I didn’t see it. Was any part of the ball in the cylinder? 

I only watched it live but I do believe his hand was in The plane... it was really bang bang but I know the ball wasn’t on the rim 

refs blew the call bigtime,

postgame one expert stated it clearly should have been disallowed immediately for off-int, the other expert said that situation isn't reviewable and LSU played a great game

13 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

I only watched it live but I do believe his hand was in The plane... it was really bang bang but I know the ball wasn’t on the rim 

watch the tape i just provided.....half the ball is in the cylinder...

Edited by row_33
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Unrelated, but I used this argument to drive my boys crazy: if either team, on offense or defense, touches the ball while it is in the cylinder, it is goaltending. Hence, the dunk is illegal and results in no points. 

• Haha (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, Augie said:

Unrelated, but I used this argument to drive my boys crazy: if either team, on offense or defense, touches the ball while it is in the cylinder, it is goaltending. Hence, the dunk is illegal and results in no points. 

first contact with the ball is the important factor, the dunker is introducing the shot, if he lets it go and it doesn't go down he is liable to interfere if he touches it again in the cylinder, I've seen it a few times....

FIBA allows almost anything to go on baskets

Dicky V didn't mention interference at all, he may have already gone past that road with the non-call and non-reviewableness except beating the clock, which it clearly did

refs blew that one....

----------------------------------

so, make interference reviewable in the last 2 minutes or so, please!!!

that wasn't even close to ignore...

3 minutes ago, row_33 said:

first contact with the ball is the important factor, the dunker is introducing the shot, if he lets it go and it doesn't go down he is liable to interfere if he touches it again in the cylinder, I've seen it a few times....

I wonder if anywhere in the rule book it actually says that the initial touching in the cylinder is allowed for a dunk. And yes, the put back will get called if any part of the ball is in the cylinder.  I do it mostly to annoy the kids (and it worked like a charm!), but I’m a bit curious. Regardless, it is what it is. 

10 minutes ago, Augie said:

I wonder if anywhere in the rule book it actually says that the initial touching in the cylinder is allowed for a dunk. And yes, the put back will get called if any part of the ball is in the cylinder.  I do it mostly to annoy the kids (and it worked like a charm!), but I’m a bit curious. Regardless, it is what it is. 

the dunk-shot has an exemption

i'm kind of vexed that the D is now allowed to slap the backboard as hard as they like on a shot, i guess it doesn't matter if you don't actually touch the ball, but a Shaq could hit it hard enough to influence the whole backboard and the shot.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Buffalo716 said:

Definitely off the rim, but a good portion of the ball was still in the cylinder plane. Those bang bang plays can be difficult for refs.

Edited by K-9

19 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Definitely off the rim, but a good portion of the ball was still in the cylinder plane. Those bang bang plays can be difficult for refs.

not with half the ball over the rim, that was a horrendous non-call by the refs....

2 hours ago, row_33 said:

it was clearly 100% offensive goaltending on the tap-in, half the ball is in the cylinder

but they can't review that, just whether the release beat the clock, which it clearly did

the ref didn't call the goaltending, so LSU wins at Kentucky

great game, i can see 18 teams can win it all this year depending on how hot they get at the right time

the fun begins at 8::00

I thought it was close, not a slam dunk call either way.  

As far as 18 teams have a chance to win it all I couldn't disagree more.  This year it is extremely top heavy.  You got Duke above everybody & then you have Virginia, Zags, Tenn as the clear favorites, with Kentucky, UNC, slightly behind.  I don't think another team has a chance to win it all outside of those 6.  Maybe you could throw the Michigans in the mix also but something bothers me about both those teams.

1 hour ago, Gordio said:

I thought it was close, not a slam dunk call either way.  

As far as 18 teams have a chance to win it all I couldn't disagree more.  This year it is extremely top heavy.  You got Duke above everybody & then you have Virginia, Zags, Tenn as the clear favorites, with Kentucky, UNC, slightly behind.  I don't think another team has a chance to win it all outside of those 6.  Maybe you could throw the Michigans in the mix also but something bothers me about both those teams.

Virginia?  Oh yes, they have set quite the standard for overrated.

Depends on the tourney itself, they love to give mid-majors who played 1 top 40 team all year the high seeds, sets up for better "upsets" in the first round. Gonzaga sailed to the final a few years ago not playing ANYBODY from November to the final itself. While on the other side of the bracket it seemed like North Carolina vs Kentucky type-games were played several times to make it more of a mockery.

You need some eyeglasses if you can't tell the ball was more than half above the cylinder on the replays from that angle.

Your credibility is disappearing carrying into the second paragraph....

11 minutes ago, eball said:

Re:  LSU/UK -- I don't know the answer, but does "within the cylinder extending upwards from the rim" mean entirely within the cylinder?  If so, then the tip was not basket interference.

I believe the NCAA rule means any part of the ball within the cylinder plane.

21 hours ago, row_33 said:

Virginia?  Oh yes, they have set quite the standard for overrated.

Depends on the tourney itself, they love to give mid-majors who played 1 top 40 team all year the high seeds, sets up for better "upsets" in the first round. Gonzaga sailed to the final a few years ago not playing ANYBODY from November to the final itself. While on the other side of the bracket it seemed like North Carolina vs Kentucky type-games were played several times to make it more of a mockery.

You need some eyeglasses if you can't tell the ball was more than half above the cylinder on the replays from that angle.

Your credibility is disappearing carrying into the second paragraph....

You must be a Kentucky fan.?  It is not reviewable & it is a bang bang play.  Give the refs a break, call could of went either way.  

I don't care what has happened the past 5 years under Tony Bennett, the Hoos will be a tough out this March.  They are a much more efficient scoring team than they have been in the past & the back court with Guys & Jerome is terrific.  

39 minutes ago, Gordio said:

You must be a Kentucky fan.?  It is not reviewable & it is a bang bang play.  Give the refs a break, call could of went either way.  

I don't care what has happened the past 5 years under Tony Bennett, the Hoos will be a tough out this March.  They are a much more efficient scoring team than they have been in the past & the back court with Guys & Jerome is terrific.  

not a Kentucky fan, and yes it's not reviewable

it was a 100% TOTAL BLIND *****=UP BY THE REFS

worse than the no-call in the Rams/Saints game...

Edited by row_33
  • Haha (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, row_33 said:

not a Kentucky fan, and yes it's not reviewable

it was a 100% TOTAL BLIND *****=UP BY THE REFS

worse than the no-call in the Rams/Saints game...

Come on man, that is a total exaggeration.  Nothing was worse than the no call in the saints game.  

another goof to the ignore pile... what's on tap tonight for the college scene...

wonderful, play-nobody Houston and Gonzaga face cupcakes to ensure their unproven top seedings (they may very well be deserved but who know???)