Good Head Coaches

kbarrettb

On 11/6/2018 at 3:50 PM, Rc2catch said:

Rivera is a pretty good coach, also Marvin Lewis despite the playoff failures. Tomlin. Harbaugh. Just off the top of my head, quite a few super bowl appearances there 

Each of these guys grew up on the defensive side of the ball, but they're just "head coaches" now in the sense that they don't have any real impact on play calling. They rely on their coordinators to call the games and install the game plans and it works for them. 

All of these guys are CEO type coaches. 

Guys like Andy Reid, Sean McVay, Sean Payton and Doug Pederson are a bit different in the sense that they actually call the offense. They are 100% in charge of what's going on on the offensive side of the ball, and each of them has hired a very experienced Defensive Coordinator to run that side of the ball. 

Recently the NFL seems to be moving more and more towards the second group of coaches being the more successful hires in recent years. You need one of these elite offensive play callers as your HC, because if you just have them as a coordinator it's inevitable that they will get a head coaching job somewhere. 

IMO it's a lot harder to find a really good offensive play caller than it is a defensive coordinator. 

• Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, Fadingpain said:

On argument in support of having a good, offensively oriented HC is this:

Really competent coordinators tend to be promoted to HC; if you landed a top notch, innovative OC, he would likely be snatched from you to be someone's HC before too long.

So then just make sure the brilliant offensive guy is your HC in the first place.  He won't go anywhere then.

McD is one of many HCs around the league who have been over-promoted.

I think he would be a very good defensive coordinator and that's his niche.  

This could be the truth, especially if the defensive minded head coach who knows nothing about offense isn't even good at evaluating and selecting the right offensive coordinator, which McDermott is already 0-for-2 at. 

I don't mind a defensive minded head coach if he has somewhat of a handle on the offense and can hire the right OC to carry out his vision. 

I know people put up numbers about how teams led by great defenses can still win a superbowl...however, what's being left out is it is very difficult to keep an elite defense together for multiple years. Your best shot at having a team that is a perennial contender is developing a franchise QB. And I think that's the biggest question that needs to be asked of McDermott...is he the right head coach to develop one? To me that's an emphatic no, starting with him and the horrible OC's he's hired. 

3 hours ago, Chris66 said:

Its skewed because everyone thinks Bellichick is defense. Ever ask yourself who taught McDaniels.

He's still a former defensive coordinator which is the metric OP is going by. You spend long enough as HC in the NFL and your specialty isn't going to always translate to that side of the ball being amazing (although it is many years the Pats win). 

Mike Tomlin is a former DC and that regime whiffs on defenders and nails offense. The line of recievers they've had is probably the best the NFL has ever seen.

OP's point is McD is a former defensive coordinator and that doesn't work. The above 2 are former DCs that worked.