Good Head Coaches

kbarrettb

2 hours ago, NewDayBills said:

Who is up for a contract? I can't think of anyone. Nothing I said was false, nothing. Seems you're arguing with me over an opinion or statement I did not make, really weird. 

Cannot answer for this coming offseason, but the history of the Bills is we draft good players and watch them sign with other teams because they were "too expensive."  Robert Woods comes immediately to mind as a recent example.   We have potential young talent on this team; milano, edmunds, dawkins, lawson, white, yarbourgh, poyer, hyde and who knows how our rookies (7 active, 1 IR, and 4 PS) will pan out.  Granted resigning these guys are a few years down the road, but blowing all our cap space in one year does not sound like the way to build a Consistent winner.

Edited by mabden

2 hours ago, NewDayBills said:

Who is up for a contract? I can't think of anyone. Nothing I said was false, nothing. Seems you're arguing with me over an opinion or statement I did not make, really weird. 

We cut or traded almost every rookie contract more than 18 months old. We are spending on outside talent 

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, kbarrettb said:

So I have wanted to bring this up but didn't have time. The NFL is an offensive lead I think we can all agree to this or at least agree mostly about this. I was talking to a friend and we were talking about good head coaches and then we were talking about what side of the offensive defensive or special teams they coached before becoming head coaches. It got me thinking I don't hate McDermott I just think there are so few defensive good coaches in the league and in the league historically. We could only come up with Pete Carrol and Bill Belichick who were great head coaches who were defensive minded.

Total there are 21 Offensive head coaches 10 defensive head coaches and 1 special team head coach. Out of those coaches there are much more good coaches on the offensive side of the ball then there are defensive good head coaches.  I just think with the way the NFL is today you need a good offensive coach as the head coach. You can always find defensive coaches. But if you have a superior Offensive Coordinator the second he has a good year or even just people interested in him he is gone and he is basically taking your offensive system with him which messes with the QB if you have a good offensive head coach he runs his system he is there for the duration. 

Great head coaches have their fingerprints all over the team..you can still have a defensive background and be a great coach..what separates caroll and belichick from some other defensive coaches is that even tho they have  a background in defence they are still very involved in the offensive aspect of their teams heavily and have input in the game plan and actively involve themselves in every phase..then you have coaches who are pretty much hands off and let the coordinators do the grunt which doesnt work if your coordinators dont perform see jason garett mcdermott and jeff fisher

5 hours ago, NewDayBills said:

That is what struck me about the debate. If you aren’t going to spend the savings why create them to such a large extent? Process is all about the draft pick, which requires losing while watching a lot of film?

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Rc2catch said:

Rivera is a pretty good coach, also Marvin Lewis despite the playoff failures. Tomlin. Harbaugh. Just off the top of my head, quite a few super bowl appearances there 

Rivera is a good head coach. Marvin ehh ask a Bengals fan they want him gone. Tomlin is a defensive head coach but he didn't bring his defense he kept the defensive scheme as when he got there, if you read stuff on Tomlin he is much more an overseer as someone that puts in his play book. John Harbaugh was a special teams coach before becoming a head coach.

5 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Weird, 14 of the last 20 SB's have been won by defensive Head Coaches... 

Weird, the two highest scoring offenses in NFL history had defensive HC's...

- How many playoff appearances does Brees have over last 8 years?  Despite 5000 yard season after 5000 yard season?  Hint:  not many

- How many SB appearances does Rogers, Brees and Ryan have?  1 each.

- How did the highest scoring offense in NFL history do in the SB after going 17-0 in reg season?  Put up 14 points and lost to a defensive team.

- How did the second highest scoring team in the league in 2011 do in the SB in a rematch of above SB?  Put up 17 points and lost to same defensive team.

- How did defensive minded Harbaugh do against offensive minded brother Harbaugh in SB?  Defensive minded won with mediocre offense.

- How did Brady avoid going 1-4 in his last 5 SB's?  Butler intercepted a pass on last play of game when Seattle foolishly didn't run on the goaline...otherwise Pats lose again to defensive minded team.  And had Atlanta not mismanaged the other SB, Pats should have lost that one too thanks to Atlanta Defense.

- How did Brady do last year setting Super Bowl passing records?  Still lost despite setting all kinds of SB records

- Who was the head coach of the all time highest scoring offense in NFL History?  John Fox - Defensive HC

- Who was the head coach of the 2nd all time highest scoring offense in NFL History?  Bill Belicheck - Defensive HC

I mean there are a lot of pieces of evidence that contradict your opinion on this matter.

TRUTH IS:  There are a LOT of ways to win today.  Offense is the trendy word of the day, but this isnt fantasy football.  We all want a fun offense to watch, but this false narrative that you need a offensive minded HC is just a trendy fan opinion and not really accurate.

Let's go with each argument. 

Brees has been to the playoffs more times than not and has won a super bowl

Rodgers Brees and Ryan have been to super bowl once. How many times have they been to the playoffs? 

So you are saying the 16-0 regular season Patriots weren't good because they didn't win the super bowl? HAHA ok....

John Harbaugh was a special teams coach

Brady has gone 5-2 in super bowls and look at his numbers, just because the defense made one play means nothing

brady put up 500 yards passing i think he did ok 

John Fox was the head coach but Peyton Manning was the QB and they fired Fox and made the OC the head coach and they won the super bowl the next year. That was easy.

Bill Bellichik look at the numbers of brady when he had this OC rather then when they didn't have McDaniels. Bill is a mastermind of scheme and changes the playbook to fit who they are playing no other coach in football does this. Also Bill is the greatest coach of all time. He is the unicorn.

2 hours ago, kbarrettb said:

Rivera is a good head coach. Marvin ehh ask a Bengals fan they want him gone. Tomlin is a defensive head coach but he didn't bring his defense he kept the defensive scheme as when he got there, if you read stuff on Tomlin he is much more an overseer as someone that puts in his play book. John Harbaugh was a special teams coach before becoming a head coach.

Let's go with each argument. 

Brees has been to the playoffs more times than not and has won a super bowl

Rodgers Brees and Ryan have been to super bowl once. How many times have they been to the playoffs? 

So you are saying the 16-0 regular season Patriots weren't good because they didn't win the super bowl? HAHA ok....

John Harbaugh was a special teams coach

Brady has gone 5-2 in super bowls and look at his numbers, just because the defense made one play means nothing

brady put up 500 yards passing i think he did ok 

John Fox was the head coach but Peyton Manning was the QB and they fired Fox and made the OC the head coach and they won the super bowl the next year. That was easy.

Bill Bellichik look at the numbers of brady when he had this OC rather then when they didn't have McDaniels. Bill is a mastermind of scheme and changes the playbook to fit who they are playing no other coach in football does this. Also Bill is the greatest coach of all time. He is the unicorn.

Several of your “facts” are wrong.

8 hours ago, Best Player Available said:

Seriously? " If he can field even a COMPLETELY average offense we're golden" 

Golden what? please enlighten us on how an average offense is golden in this era of NFL football. 

BTW, the Bills are around 4th in available cap nest year. And a lot of those 10 picks are

in later rounds. Every team in the league will make improvements. 90 M is not going to flip this trash offense. in a year. 

The Panthers don't have 90M worth of trash FA's to help Beane out. 

I do believe we can improve enough to have an ok offense and with this defense I think we could really play some good competitive football. Defense is our identity, we just need an offense that can put up 21pts and we will be a playoff team.

10 hours ago, Rc2catch said:

Rivera is a pretty good coach, also Marvin Lewis despite the playoff failures. Tomlin. Harbaugh. Just off the top of my head, quite a few super bowl appearances there 

Yeah. Zimmer's good. Quinn's really good.

Offensive guys are the latest trend, but the bottom line is that it's not which side a guy comes from, it's how good a head coach he is.

7 hours ago, NoSaint said:

We cut or traded almost every rookie contract more than 18 months old. We are spending on outside talent 

We did that cutting and trading in a salary cap purge and because a number of guys didn't fit the system.

They've made it very clear they will build through the draft and fill in with FAs, but not highly-priced ones. And this is the blueprint of nearly every team that's been consistently successful in the NFL in the last fifteen or twenty years.

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, NewDayBills said:

Who is up for a contract? I can't think of anyone.

Who is up for a contract?

Kelvin Benjamin. I get it if people don't want to re-sign him, but he's up. If he comes cheap, who knows?

Jordan Phillips. He's looked really good.

Eddie Yarbrough. IMHO they'd really like to keep him.

Lorax. He won't get anything long-term but I bet they'd love to keep him another year or two.

Derek Anderson. They might want to keep him as a QB mentor for Josh.

John Miller, Jordan Mills, Ryan Groy and Jeremiah Sirles. Not a lot of cornerstones there, but they might easily want to keep a couple of these guys, with the intention of bringing in guys who will outplay them and make them second-teamers.

Terrelle Pryor. Not sure what he is, at this point but they could easily want to keep him.

Guys who they might want to re-sign this off-season or during the year next year rather than wait till they become FAs in 2020:  Chris Ivory. McCoy, though I doubt it. Bodine, Ducasse, Hughes, Julian Stanford.

No, they won't sign all of them, not a chance. But many? Yeah, the ones they think fit. Would that take $90 mill? Not even close, of course. But do they have to spend all of it? Or even 90%? Nope. The league as a whole has to spend 90% of it's cap, but that isn't usually a problem. Look at the Browns and Colts, who each still have more than $50 mill on the cap right now. SF has $36 mill and Tennessee $23 mill. The salary cap is $177 mill this year and the Jets still have $19 mill. That's five teams that spent less than 90% this year. We may well be one of those teams next year.

But I'd expect them to bring in a bunch of low- and mid-priced guys to fill holes and build depth.

Spending it won't be a problem. But if they have a bunch left, that's also not a problem.

Edited by Thurman#1

36 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

Who is up for a contract?

Kelvin Benjamin. I get it if people don't want to re-sign him, but he's up. If he comes cheap, who knows?

Jordan Phillips. He's looked really good.

Eddie Yarbrough. IMHO they'd really like to keep him.

Lorax. He won't get anything long-term but I bet they'd love to keep him another year or two.

Derek Anderson. They might want to keep him as a QB mentor for Josh.

John Miller, Jordan Mills, Ryan Groy and Jeremiah Sirles. Not a lot of cornerstones there, but they might easily want to keep a couple of these guys, with the intention of bringing in guys who will outplay them and make them second-teamers.

Terrelle Pryor. Not sure what he is, at this point but they could easily want to keep him.

Guys who they might want to re-sign this off-season or during the year next year rather than wait till they become FAs in 2020:  Chris Ivory. McCoy, though I doubt it. Bodine, Ducasse, Hughes, Julian Stanford.

No, they won't sign all of them, not a chance. But many? Yeah, the ones they think fit. Would that take $90 mill? Not even close, of course. But do they have to spend all of it? Or even 90%? Nope. The league as a whole has to spend 90% of it's cap, but that isn't usually a problem. Look at the Browns and Colts, who each still have more than $50 mill on the cap right now. SF has $36 mill and Tennessee $23 mill. The salary cap is $177 mill this year and the Jets still have $19 mill. That's five teams that spent less than 90% this year. We may well be one of those teams next year.

But I'd expect them to bring in a bunch of low- and mid-priced guys to fill holes and build depth.

Spending it won't be a problem. But if they have a bunch left, that's also not a problem.

I'd take Lorax and Jordan Phillips for sure, but if you go back to my post it was in response to the idea that the 90 million in cap is going towards our own players which is absolutely not true. No offense and please don't take this personally but 90% of the players you listed are #1 garbage and #2 cheap.

1 hour ago, NewDayBills said:

I'd take Lorax and Jordan Phillips for sure, but if you go back to my post it was in response to the idea that the 90 million in cap is going towards our own players which is absolutely not true. No offense and please don't take this personally but 90% of the players you listed are #1 garbage and #2 cheap.

I wouldn't take personally a statement that is opinion and not really very thoughtful opinion. Please don't worry about my feelings, and don't take this personally yourself. Why would I take offense at something that I think is mostly wrong? One or two might be (relatively) garbage. Some might not fit. Some might be replaced cheaper. Some might be cheap to sign. And there are also some guys who are good and will cost some money.  I mentioned Jerry Hughes, Jordan Phillips, Eddie Yarbrough, a year or two of Lorax and guys who could easily become more expensive depending how they play the next year or so such as Julian Stanford, Ducasse and Terrelle Pryor. They could very easily and reasonably spend a pretty good chunk of money on this group and an extra $2 to $5 mill on a few of the cheaper guys as well.

And the guy you were responding to in no way said that the whole $90 mill is going towards our own players. So if that's what you were responding to, you were missing the point.

And again, as I pointed out, there is no requirement for them to spend all or most of the $90 mill next year.

Edited by Thurman#1

14 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

I wouldn't take a statement that is opinion and not very thoughtful opinion personally at all. Why would I take offense at something that I think is mostly wrong?

Dude, just take a break.  If you are straight-up unable to post without being condescending, stop posting.

2 minutes ago, Avisan said:

Dude, just take a break.  If you are straight-up unable to post without being condescending, stop posting.

Good advice. Add the words "... condescending and insulting ..." and you should strongly consider it yourself.

Edited by Thurman#1

4 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Yeah. Zimmer's good. Quinn's really good.

Offensive guys are the latest trend, but the bottom line is that it's not which side a guy comes from, it's how good a head coach he is.

We did that cutting and trading in a salary cap purge and because a number of guys didn't fit the system.

They've made it very clear they will build through the draft and fill in with FAs, but not highly-priced ones. And this is the blueprint of nearly every team that's been consistently successful in the NFL in the last fifteen or twenty years.

Gutting the roster of every day 1 or 2 pick they didn’t oersonally make is not the blueprint. To do it that quickly is a major outlier.

16 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Weird, 14 of the last 20 SB's have been won by defensive Head Coaches... 

Weird, the two highest scoring offenses in NFL history had defensive HC's...

- How many playoff appearances does Brees have over last 8 years?  Despite 5000 yard season after 5000 yard season?  Hint:  not many

- How many SB appearances does Rogers, Brees and Ryan have?  1 each.

- How did the highest scoring offense in NFL history do in the SB after going 17-0 in reg season?  Put up 14 points and lost to a defensive team.

- How did the second highest scoring team in the league in 2011 do in the SB in a rematch of above SB?  Put up 17 points and lost to same defensive team.

- How did defensive minded Harbaugh do against offensive minded brother Harbaugh in SB?  Defensive minded won with mediocre offense.

- How did Brady avoid going 1-4 in his last 5 SB's?  Butler intercepted a pass on last play of game when Seattle foolishly didn't run on the goaline...otherwise Pats lose again to defensive minded team.  And had Atlanta not mismanaged the other SB, Pats should have lost that one too thanks to Atlanta Defense.

- How did Brady do last year setting Super Bowl passing records?  Still lost despite setting all kinds of SB records

- Who was the head coach of the all time highest scoring offense in NFL History?  John Fox - Defensive HC

- Who was the head coach of the 2nd all time highest scoring offense in NFL History?  Bill Belicheck - Defensive HC

I mean there are a lot of pieces of evidence that contradict your opinion on this matter.

TRUTH IS:  There are a LOT of ways to win today.  Offense is the trendy word of the day, but this isnt fantasy football.  We all want a fun offense to watch, but this false narrative that you need a offensive minded HC is just a trendy fan opinion and not really accurate.

Game has changed even since McDermott was hired. Also your using Bellichick as just a defensive guy to prove your point. Thats his offense Pats have been running for the past 18 years.