DeShAuN wAtSoN iS sTrUgGlInG nOw WiTh TaPe

9 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

Nope.

He's still a very good young QB and we'd be lucky to have a QB like him. 

agree, i loved him last year and love him now..just saying he has not been lighting the world on fire, and he would be taking some massive grief if the record was turned around, and it very well may have been.

Think just in the Bills game..luck of the bounce Texans recover his 4th fumble I believe? one of the next two plays is the PI on Gaines..and he still did not get it into the endzone.

If Bills recover there and run out the clock...he is getting killed and lit up on his ball security..If Bills come back to win that game with a field goal after the PI, he is getting killed for not getting it in the endzone and being late on that 3rd down pass

non story though cause they won, faults get covered up in the win

1 hour ago, plenzmd1 said:

Not trashing Watson at all, but let's say  3 of the games they won by some real luck went the other way..and instead of 6-3, they were 3-6...does opinions of his year change?

Not at all. He had a losing record in his 7 starts last year and yet he played outstandingly well in 5 of them.  The knock then was "what good are 300 yard games if you end up with an L?" Now they are winning and running the ball much more, especially in the 2nd halves of games, Watson has cut down the turnovers maybe is taking slightly fewer risks with the ball, they are winning close games and the argument becomes "ahh he is only throwing for 250 yards per game they are winning despite him!"

It is completely schizophrenic. The truth is Deshaun Watson is really good. He has now played in 16 NFL games - 15 starts and week 1 of his rookie year from the bench.

His stats are:

P:16

Yards: 4,088 (255 ypg)

Comp: 63.6%

Avg: 8.4 ypa

TD: 36

INT: 15

Passer Rating: 101.7

Those are not just good numbers for a guy's first 16 professional starts. They are really good numbers. This thread is about Watson not about the Bills Quarterbacks but my word if the Bills had someone with those numbers through his first 16 professional starts we'd be fitting him for a gold jacket and petitioning for his name to go onto the Wall.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Not at all. He had a losing record in his 7 starts last year and yet he played outstandingly well in 5 of them.  The knock then was "what good are 300 yard games if you end up with an L?" Now they are winning and running the ball much more, especially in the 2nd halves of games, Watson has cut down the turnovers maybe is taking slightly fewer risks with the ball, they are winning close games and the argument becomes "ahh he is only throwing for 250 yards per game they are winning despite him!"

It is completely schizophrenic. The truth is Deshaun Watson is really good. He has now played in 16 NFL games - 15 starts and week 1 of his rookie year from the bench.

His stats are:

P:16

Yards: 4,088 (255 ypg)

Comp: 63.6%

Avg: 8.4 ypa

TD: 36

INT: 15

Passer Rating: 101.7

Those are not just good numbers for a guy's first 16 professional starts. They are really good numbers. This thread is about Watson not about the Bills Quarterbacks but my word if the Bills had someone with those numbers through his first 16 professional starts we'd be fitting him for a gold jacket and petitioning for his name to go onto the Wall.

Again, no ones saying he's not good, but he isnt playing so amazing like Mahommes, or carrying his team to wins like Goff or Brees. No one was saying he sucks cause he is only putting up 250 yards.

The Texans arent 6-3 because of the QB play, they won some close games against bad teams by luck (Broncos missing a last second FG and Pick6man coming in and throwing a pick 6 at the end of a game they were close to losing at the end that Watson had not played well in)

As for the Bill's comment, of course the fans would be thinking HOF if he put up those numbers here, just look at who Bill's fans have had to watch play QB over the last 5 years....... There are people here who still think Peterman is good and just needs more time......

Just now, apuszczalowski said:

Again, no ones saying he's not good, but he isnt playing so amazing like Mahommes, or carrying his team to wins like Goff or Brees. No one was saying he sucks cause he is only putting up 250 yards.

The Texans arent 6-3 because of the QB play, they won some close games against bad teams by luck (Broncos missing a last second FG and Pick6man coming in and throwing a pick 6 at the end of a game they were close to losing at the end that Watson had not played well in)

As for the Bill's comment, of course the fans would be thinking HOF if he put up those numbers here, just look at who Bill's fans have had to watch play QB over the last 5 years....... There are people here who still think Peterman is good and just needs more time......

He isn't playing as well as Mahomes, Goff and Brees..... no. They are the three best performing QBs in the league through 9 weeks. I don't agree he is some sort of passenger in the wins though. He is playing good football and is a critical part of their wins. Sure they have had a lucky bounce or two go their way. But his stats are not that dissimilar to Tom Brady's about 10 yards a game fewer, the exact same TD/INT ratio, better ypa numbers. Is Brady not carrying New England to any wins either? Are New England not 7-2 at least in part because of quarterback play? After all the Packers were driving in the 4th Quarter in a tied game on Sunday before a big fumble went New England's way.  

Deshaun Watson has played like a top 10 Quarterback this year despite playing behind an offensive line that through 7 weeks was the worst in football. He has done it despite being banged up and despite only just coming back from an ACL.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

I really like the QBR stat as a measurement of QB play.  Watson is 16th.  That is good.  If you are Houston, you are thrilled he is your guy and you know you have that piece in place for the next decade if he stays healthy.  I can't speak for Bills fans, but I would assume many would be glad to have him....and I'd bet some would reject him as middle of the pack and happy to see what Allen becomes.  .....my only point in posting in this thread was to counter the OP who seems to think Watson is elite.  He isn't.  He is good but in the mid range of QB, not top 10.  

On 11/6/2018 at 1:30 PM, jrober38 said:

It's hard to avoid when you trade out of a pick and could have drafted two QBs who are better than any QB we've drafted in 35 years... 

Denial is a coping mechanism for some. 

1 hour ago, Bangarang said:

Bills fans love to minimize the really good play of another team’s young QB, especially one we passed on. It’s probably jealousy because if we don’t have a good young QB then nobody else should. 

For reals.  Could you even begin to imagine if JP, EJ, or Allen put up Watson’s “questionable” first 16 game numbers of 4,000 yards and 36 tds?  Has any Bills qb ever had a stretch like that ever?

22 minutes ago, Zerovotlz said:

I really like the QBR stat as a measurement of QB play.  Watson is 16th.  That is good.  If you are Houston, you are thrilled he is your guy and you know you have that piece in place for the next decade if he stays healthy.  I can't speak for Bills fans, but I would assume many would be glad to have him....and I'd bet some would reject him as middle of the pack and happy to see what Allen becomes.  .....my only point in posting in this thread was to counter the OP who seems to think Watson is elite.  He isn't.  He is good but in the mid range of QB, not top 10.  

I both agree and disagree. I don't think Watson is elite. I don't actually think Mahomes is elite yet - his performances this season have been - but to get into that category you have to do it week in week out over a longer period. Mahomes is trending towards elite but isn't there yet. 

Where I disagree is I do think Watson is playing like a top 10 QB and I think he is going to be a top 10 QB for a long time. I don't think he is ever likely to be Tom Brady or Aaron Rodgers elite.... whereas Mahomes might be but I do think Watson can have a career playing pretty consistenly in that next tier down. The Matt Ryan / Philip Rivers type career and I think he has more natrural clutch gene about him than either of those two. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

I both agree and disagree. I don't think Watson is elite. I don't actually think Mahomes is elite yet - his performances this season have been - but to get into that category you have to do it week in week out over a longer period. Mahomes is trending towards elite but isn't there yet. 

Where I disagree is I do think Watson is playing like a top 10 QB and I think he is going to be a top 10 QB for a long time. I don't think he is ever likely to be Tom Brady or Aaron Rodgers elite.... whereas Mahomes might be but I do think Watson can have a career playing pretty consistenly in that next tier down. The Matt Ryan / Philip Rivers type career and I think he has more natrural clutch gene about him than either of those two. 

Wanna know what’s incredible? Watson’s first 16 game totals would be the one of the best statistical seasons of Phil Rivers’ career.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Bangarang said:

Bills fans love to minimize the really good play of another team’s young QB, especially one we passed on. It’s probably jealousy because if we don’t have a good young QB then nobody else should. 

Or we can just be happy for those teams and look to our own QB that we have drafted with the 7th overall pick

3 hours ago, Zerovotlz said:

Hes top 10 easily.    He’s hurt and has no OL and he’s still bringing home that bacon.   

Watson and Mahomes are both elite.    Mcdermott on draft day is a bumbling stooge. 

On 11/6/2018 at 2:30 PM, teef said:

did you say that about mahomes?

You mean the Mahomes who was a 3 Star recruit out of high school who had 3 d1 offers in football and was the 10th overall pick in the MLB draft as well? My point is he was a highly touted athlete for a long time in multiple sports. Development for that guy is a better bet but still not a lock.

Josh Allen had 0 offers out of high school and only 1 out of JUCO. College football is as qb starved as the nfl and there are 130 d1 programs. What are the odds that 129 of them completly missed on a player twice? Put it this way, UB didn't see fit to offer Allen a scholarship and they had 2 chances to do it and he was practically begging for a look but the Bills felt he was worth the #8 pick in the draft. That doesn't seem odd?

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

We aren't far off.....I'll put it this way....If the Chiefs had taken Watson, and we were getting the production out of him that he is giving Houston...most of us would be pretty happy about it....and we'd be thrilled to have drafted our own guy who would allow us to be competive for a decade or more.  Houston has the hardest part of building a team taken care of now...the QB and they will probably be able to put a contendor or two together over the coming few years.  Watson is better than a Tannehill or a Mariotta for sure....the Titans and Dolphins for example, even though they "have a QB"....they don't really "have a QB".  I hope that makes sense.  Houston certainly has a QB and they are, and should be happy with it.