DeShAuN wAtSoN iS sTrUgGlInG nOw WiTh TaPe

11 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Imagine what he would look like here in Buffalo with this line and these weapons.....

/thread

Can we pretend like every qb would be the same here?  Yes, he would be worse here but he would be better than our qbs.  McCoy would be much better.  

I like how people act like Josh Allen would be putting up Mahomes numbers if the situation was reverse.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, teef said:

there really are.

i specifically remember you saying that picking a qb was easy.  which is it?

No. I've maintained for about 10 years now that finding a QB is really hard unless you have the #1 overall pick. 

Historically speaking, about 70% of QBs picked first overall are successful, whereas about 28% of QBs picked 2nd to 32nd overall are successful.

Unless you're picking #1 and taking a blue chip guy, the vast majority of first round QBs aren't successful. 

15 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Imagine what he would look like here in Buffalo with this line and these weapons.....

/thread

Is that supposed to make us feel better about the state of our team and the people running it? It doesn't. Thinking that our environment is enough on its own to ruin a franchise QB makes me feel much worse. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

No. I've maintained for about 10 years now that finding a QB is really hard unless you have the #1 overall pick. 

Historically speaking, about 70% of QBs picked first overall are successful, whereas about 28% of QBs picked 2nd to 32nd overall are successful.

Unless you're picking #1 and taking a blue chip guy, the vast majority of first round QBs aren't successful. 

which i do agree with, but you have to take your shots.

Just now, teef said:

which i do agree with, but you have to take your shots.

Sure. I'd take a QB pretty much every year, or every other year until you hit one.

Usually if you find a good one, you usually know you've found one very early on in their career. 

Most guys show they're good very quickly. 

We won't take one this year, but we definitely need to pour resources into the offense. Then if Allen doesn't show signs of life you go all in on taking a QB in 2020 which is shaping up to be an excellent year to need a QB. 

• Like (+1) 3

Really begs the question what the hell is Houston doing on their Oline???  They had Watson, they had Hopkins, they had a pretty good defense.   What are they using their draft picks on?  I know they gave up their 1st in 2018 for Watson, but jeez, draft some help on the Oline.

42 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

/thread

No greater homer exists on all of TBD.  None.  Miss on potentially 2 franchise QBs in 2017? Nope, not Coach McD's fault. 

• Like (+1) 2

37 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Im sorry is that supposed to me that our OL is actually good or something?

His running game actually works

His passing targets would put our passing targets on the bench

Doesnt that make it worse though, that he has better targets and a working running game, and yet he is still sacked more then others? I would say that his oline might be worse then.

But as for Watson, his team beat the Bill's because Nate Pick6man through a timely pick 6 to win it for them. They beat Denver this week because Denvers kicker blew a FG to end the game. And those are just 2 of the wins off the top of my head. KC is winning games because of Mahommes and the offence, the Texans arent winning because of their talented offence or Watsons play

39 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

History shows that probably won't happen. 

History has shown Josh Allen hasn’t developed? Have you patented that time machine yet? How much to take it for a spin? 

Josh Allen will write his own history. NOTHING about past QBs and their development or lack thereof applies,  no matter how much we have to conflate their experiences to support a certain narrative. 

15 minutes ago, 2003Contenders said:

How quickly we forget the crap-fest Watson put on against our very own Bills a few weeks ago. Fortunately for him, Nate Peterman came in for an injured Josh Allen and sealed the deal.

He had a terrible 2nd half against the Bills. He also threw an absolute dart of a touchdown early in that game it wasn't like it was all bad. And he was banged up and a game time decision on whether to play or not. 

Quarterbacks have bad games. Tom Brady had one against Detroit and Deshaun Watson is not Tom Brady (nor will he ever be) so of couse he will have the odd off day. But the kid is a young franchise Quarterback with all the moxie and poise you want from the position and most of the game you want too. 

Yes he has Hopkins - that would help any young QB but the "he has Fuller too" argument doesn't stand up to any scruting when you compare Fuller's numbers with Watson to his numbers without him (and consider the % drop in Fuller's production with any other QB as compared to the % drop in Hopkins' production with any other QB). He also has an Oline that through the first 7 weeks played without worse even than the Bills line - though I do see progress in their line the last two games (if only that was the same here).

So it is easy to throw the "he played bad against the Bills" or the "how would he look in this offense?" lines out there. The truth and it is a hard one for Bills fans to accept for obvious reasons is that when they passed on a Quarterback at #10 in 2017 to trade back they left two of the best young Quarterbacks in the world on the board. A guy who looks potentially all world at this early stage and another who looks like a sure franchise Quarterback at the very least for years to come. 

The way they went about this project, trying to win in year 1 and then undertaking a tear down at the same time as picking their possible future QB and throwing all their eggs in the much hyped 2018 QB class basket was at the very least unorthodox and risky. If Allen doesn't work out and we are watching Mahomes v Watson in playoff games year after year it will feel as seminal a moment as any of the other franchise changing mistakes that this organisation has made since Jim Kelly walked out of the building. 

• Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, eball said:

I give the OP credit for the time it took to piece together that thread title.  Well done.

Is this the same guy that always does that. I see an OP every now and then looking like that..  and it's kinda weird, like get in and out of your posts when you're supposed to be "working" 8-10 hours straight.

1 hour ago, John from Riverside said:

/thread

Embarassing stuff.     Houston’s OL is just as bad.   

The tape coming for Mahomes too.   In 12 years he’s gonna be doomed ! 

Edited by Teddy KGB