My Answer to a Question Murph asked P. King “Is Buffalo missing something with approach to Offense?”

10 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Chan was the closest thing we've had to a decent OC in the last 20 years. This is a offensive dominated league. Stop hiring DC's for God's sake. Fore every Belichick you get 20 Jaurons.....Look how good Lynn looks with a viable qb....

Lynn is a very good coach look what he did with our 1 deminsional offense in 2016 we averaged 27pts per gm. We had injuries to our wr core all yr starting multiple players coming off the streets.

• Like (+1) 2

12 hours ago, Soda Popinski said:

It's more than that until the entire FO was cleared after the draft, we were a wash in old holdovers that had "done things this way for the better part of half a century".   

That old school mentality permeated OBD.    But we whiffed time and again on quarterbacks.   The team has no identity.   McDermott is trying to establish one, similar to what they have in Carolina.  Solid defense, and trying to by dynamic on offense.  It works in Carolina because they have the QB.   Whether we have the QB or not is another thread.  But the common denominator in every regime since Wade Phillips left is the lack of a QB.   We lose, coaches get fired, another guy comes in and cleans house, whiffs on a QB, rinse repeat.

He is trying to be dynamic on offense? With two rookie QBs, a porous line and a bunch of #3 wide receivers? 

11 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Oh it isn't.  You have coaches like Payton,  McVay,  Reid, and Pederson who effectively serve as their own coordinator while turning the responsibility on the other side to a trusted assistant.  

Daboll may be a trusted assistant but he is no great OC.

Other than the Super Bowl years and Chan Gailey's time here, I don't think we have ever had a passing game that could be described as "lethal" or "innovative."

This has been a common theme for almost the entire existence of this wretched franchise: attempt to build a strong defense, have a great running game, control the clock, and don't worry so much about the passing game because the WNY weather - for some not-quite-so-sensical reason - is too cold/windy/snowy/rainy for that...

This theme began on day 1 with Buster Ramsey under Ralph's directive, continued twice with Lou Saban, again with Ground Chuck, took a hiatus because of Kelly, and then continued through The Great Drought with a long string of former DC's-turned-HC's like Phillips, Williams, Jauron, Ryan, and now McDermott. Even Mularkey and Marrone focused on run-oriented offenses and solid defenses first despite having backgrounds on offense.

An innovative offensive mind at HC and OC would certainly be able to do a lot more with this current squad than McDermott and Daboll. For example, how about using McCoy and Ivory at the same time? More 2-TE formations? Screens? Etc.?

3 hours ago, iinii said:

He is trying to be dynamic on offense? With two rookie QBs, a porous line and a bunch of #3 wide receivers? 

Daboll may be a trusted assistant but he is no great OC.

Notice neither that neither McDermott nor Daboll were anywhere in my post. 

14 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...nicely done "Pops".......except for the "trying to be dynamic on offense".....it is unconscionable that this gang could have whiffed so badly on offense......almost like it is an after thought......rehash of Jauron ball and REMOTELY trying to mimic the Yr 2000 Ravens SB champs.......sure the Woods retirement and Incognito meltdown had effects, and now Shady is Shadyless......but some of their personnel moves offensively sure as hell defy logic........no need to repeat......feel bad for Josh coming into this mess, working his tail off, keeping a positive team attitude and getting beat up when he should be sitting/learning......they have the 2019 draft and FA to show something substantially........if we're wallowing in the SAME manure at this time next year, I'd sure as hell lose patience if I was Pegula.........stay tuned........

I agree with you.  I think the idea was to try and be dynamic on offense but the execution has been atrocious.   Then Norv Turner has this renaissance in Carolina and Cam Newton is loving it.    Stings even worse. 

10 minutes ago, Soda Popinski said:

I agree with you.  I think the idea was to try and be dynamic on offense but the execution has been atrocious.   Then Norv Turner has this renaissance in Carolina and Cam Newton is loving it.    Stings even worse. 

...we need the "late and great John McKay" to fix that.......he'd be in favor....:thumbsup:

1 hour ago, Soda Popinski said:

Carolina has built a front runner team. When they face real comp they get punked.  McBeane is trying to build what they have here and it wont work. Who the hell wants to be like the Panthers anyways ?

Just now, iinii said:

Then how about would you have Daboll continue as the OC?

I can't evaluate him given the poor talent he's been given to work with this season.  For me, he deserves a chance to work with real talent next season to see what he can do.

4 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

I can't evaluate him given the poor talent he's been given to work with this season.  For me, he deserves a chance to work with real talent next season to see what he can do.

That sounds like a yes.

9 hours ago, BillsFan1988 said:

Lynn is a very good coach look what he did with our 1 deminsional offense in 2016 we averaged 27pts per gm. We had injuries to our wr core all yr starting multiple players coming off the streets.

Yes, he was and it was a really nice surprise, considering how little experience he had in designing a game plan.

One of the smartest things he did, and it can't be stressed enough...he went with what had worked and improved on it.

He saw that Greg Roman's playbook for the running game was working, it needed refinement. Much of the refinement came in from just getting the plays in the huddle on time.

But he knew the team could run the ball and didn't try to screw things up by changing the system. Then we had Dennison, who changed to a stretch play dominant offense because....he never ran another offense and had no desire to learn another.

Lynn doesn't run the same playbook in LA now because he has different personnel and it would be foolish to waste Rivers' talents.

There's a reason Lynn is a head coach now, and that his team is successful.

3 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

It is and I'll add that McDermott would look ridiculous by having a 3rd OC in 3 seasons as Bills' HC. 

All you had to do was say yes. It doesn’t need justification. Views on this board are for entertainment purposes only. 

2 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

I like to provide reasoning with answers if that's okay.  ;)

Fine by me. I don’t believe Daboll is the answer and my reasoning is the teams he was successful with weren’t successful because of him. I could be the OC for Belichick and Saban and win, like Switzer and the 90’s Cowgirls 

22 hours ago, RalphWilson'sNewWar said:

Going to read some names

Wade Phillips

Greg Williams

Dick Jauron

Rex Ryan

Sean McDermott

Defense, Defense, Defense.  ALL Defensive Minded/Philosophical coaches whose approach permeates from the top bottom.

now the other two Head Coaches? 

Doug Marrone, a Offensive Sided Coach, but who is almost just as conservative and Defensive Minded as any Defensive Coordiantor in the league.  I mean...Coach Marrone was quoted as saying he NEVER WANTED TO THROW.

That only leaves Chan Gailey as being the only true Offensive Minded Head Coach to have control in Buffalo.  And while Chan did have some things he was far from progressive or innovative and really was Used Goods.

and Mike Mularkey who frankly i just recalled because another poster pointed it out.  If I try all I recall was McGahee running the bills to the 9-7 record.

1 of 2 things will happen.

1.) Allen will be good and his abilities will mask all of McDermott’s conversativeness.

2.) Allen wont be good and he and McDermott will be removed.

IF that happens, we need to hope/plead that the Pegulas will finally identify a YOUNG, PROGRESSIVE, INOVATING OFFENSIVE MINDED HEAD COACH.

In my opinion it doesn't matter if you're a defensive minded HC or not, that's what the OC is for, there have been plenty of successful DC... Coughlin, Belichick, Fox, Billick, the list goes on but you need to find the right OC, do we have that in Daboll? I'm going to say no, I see nothing innovative about his offenses even with what he has top work with at least try new things.