My Answer to a Question Murph asked P. King “Is Buffalo missing something with approach to Offense?”

Going to read some names

Wade Phillips

Greg Williams

Dick Jauron

Rex Ryan

Sean McDermott

Defense, Defense, Defense.  ALL Defensive Minded/Philosophical coaches whose approach permeates from the top bottom.

now the other two Head Coaches? 

Doug Marrone, a Offensive Sided Coach, but who is almost just as conservative and Defensive Minded as any Defensive Coordiantor in the league.  I mean...Coach Marrone was quoted as saying he NEVER WANTED TO THROW.

That only leaves Chan Gailey as being the only true Offensive Minded Head Coach to have control in Buffalo.  And while Chan did have some things he was far from progressive or innovative and really was Used Goods.

and Mike Mularkey who frankly i just recalled because another poster pointed it out.  If I try all I recall was McGahee running the bills to the 9-7 record.

1 of 2 things will happen.

1.) Allen will be good and his abilities will mask all of McDermott’s conversativeness.

2.) Allen wont be good and he and McDermott will be removed.

IF that happens, we need to hope/plead that the Pegulas will finally identify a YOUNG, PROGRESSIVE, INOVATING OFFENSIVE MINDED HEAD COACH.

Edited by RalphWilson'sNewWar
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, buffalobillswin said:

Don't forget about Mike Mularkey, who was the offensive coordinator of the Steelers. Before McDermott they were definitely rotating between offense and defensive minded coaches. 

Bigger problem is the coaches we hire aren't good.

Crap forgot about Mularkey.  I guess that blows up my point a little.

but I still say the focus on defense Minded Head coaches at 6 vs. 2-3 on Offensive is still a strong case for putting too much focus on the wrong side of the ball.

Just now, buffalobillswin said:

Don't forget about Mike Mularkey, who was the offensive coordinator of the Steelers. Before McDermott they were definitely rotating between offense and defensive minded coaches. 

Bigger problem is the coaches we hire aren't good.

It's more than that until the entire FO was cleared after the draft, we were a wash in old holdovers that had "done things this way for the better part of half a century".   

That old school mentality permeated OBD.    But we whiffed time and again on quarterbacks.   The team has no identity.   McDermott is trying to establish one, similar to what they have in Carolina.  Solid defense, and trying to by dynamic on offense.  It works in Carolina because they have the QB.   Whether we have the QB or not is another thread.  But the common denominator in every regime since Wade Phillips left is the lack of a QB.   We lose, coaches get fired, another guy comes in and cleans house, whiffs on a QB, rinse repeat.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, GoBills808 said:

Seriously, talk about burying the lead.

He said he didn’t think buffalo was missing anything philosophically aabout Offense.  Then I stopped listening as I started to think about all the Defensive Minded Head coaches we have had and how it has outnumbered the offensive minded head coaches 2-1

A head coach should be just that - a head coach - and not a coordinator on either side of the ball.  Some examples:  Belichick was a DC for many years.  His greatest success with the Pats has been centered around their offense and scoring a ton of points.  Going a back a few years, Brian Billick came to the Ravens with his best success as an OC and he was considered an offensive genius.  He had great success and won a Super Bowl in Baltimore with great defense and a poor Trent Dilfer-led offense.  Mike Tomlin has been pretty successful with the Steelers, mostly based on offense, but was previously a defensive coach.  The point is that a good HC is a good HC, regardless of the side of the ball they came from.

Edited by msw2112
  • Like (+1) 3

5 minutes ago, Soda Popinski said:

It's more than that until the entire FO was cleared after the draft, we were a wash in old holdovers that had "done things this way for the better part of half a century".   

That old school mentality permeated OBD.    But we whiffed time and again on quarterbacks.   The team has no identity.   McDermott is trying to establish one, similar to what they have in Carolina.  Solid defense, and trying to by dynamic on offense.  It works in Carolina because they have the QB.   Whether we have the QB or not is another thread.  But the common denominator in every regime since Wade Phillips left is the lack of a QB.   We lose, coaches get fired, another guy comes in and cleans house, whiffs on a QB, rinse repeat.

I agree, but it’s also the choices different Head coaches would make based on their own expertise and preference.

lets say Pegulas hired a Sean McDermott in 2017...with ONLY ONE DIFFERENCE, that guy was a Offensive Coordiantor from Carolina.

2017 - Does a Offensive Minded Head Coach trade away from P. Mahomes and/or D. Watson in favor of a CB?

Say we had a 1st Year Offensive Minded Head Coach for 2018 then...

2018 - If we still Draft Josh Allen does a Offensive Minded Head Coach keep the 2nd 1st Round pick and draft a Linebacker?  Or does he draft WR Calvin Ridley to give his Rookie QB a viable target to grow with over the next 4-5 seasons?

these decisions were all bred from McDermott’s defensive preference.

• Like (+1) 3

9 minutes ago, RalphWilson'sNewWar said:

He said he didn’t think buffalo was missing anything philosophically aabout Offense.  Then I stopped listening as I started to think about all the Defensive Minded Head coaches we have had and how it has outnumbered the offensive minded head coaches 2-1

You should consider changing the title.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Soda Popinski said:

I think the problem is also philosophy.

I know the emergence of the Rams with McVey and the Bears with Naggy has everyone talking about offensive-minded head coaches. However, I don't think it has much to do with whether the coach is offense-minded or defense-minded. Bill B may go down in history as the greatest head coach in NFL history, and he is a defensive guy. Beginning with Mularkey, three of the four head coaches (Mularkey, Chan, Marrone) that the Bills hired came from the offensive side of the ball.

For the Bills, the problem prior used to be that Ralph simply did not see value in paying top dollar for coaches.Hence, all of the retreads over the years. Recall that Marv was himself a retread at the time that he took over in 1986. I think Ralph finally learned the error of his ways when Jauron was fired in the middle of the 2009 season. At the time, the team even tried to court Bill Cowher and Mike Shannahan, and Ralph was reportedly willing to pay $10 per year for either. It was Cowher who recommended Chan.  At least Marrone, Rex and McDermott were somewhat in demand at the time that the Bills hired them.

26 minutes ago, RalphWilson'sNewWar said:

Going to read some names

Wade Phillips

Greg Williams

Dick Jauron

Rex Ryan

Sean McDermott

Defense, Defense, Defense.  ALL Defensive Minded/Philosophical coaches whose approach permeates from the top bottom.

Doug Marrone, a Offensive Sided Coach, but who is almost just as conservative and Defensive Minded as any Defensive Coordiantor in the league.  I mean...Coach Marrone was quoted as saying he NEVER WANTED TO THROW.

That only leaves Chan Gailey as being the only true Offensive Minded Head Coach to have control in Buffalo.  And while Chan did have some things he was far from progressive or innovative and really was Used Goods.

and Mike Mularkey who frankly i just recalled because another poster pointed it out.  If I try all I recall was McGahee running the bills to the 9-7 record.

1.) Allen will be good and his abilities will mask all of McDermott’s conversativeness.

IF that happens, we need to hope/plead that the Pegulas will finally identify a YOUNG, PROGRESSIVE, INOVATING OFFENSIVE MINDED HEAD COACH.

We can all agree that McDermott comes from a defensive background.

However, people who laugh at McDermott when he talks about 'controlling the line of scrimmage' or 'winning physical battles' don't understand what they are talking about. The Rams, Saints, Patriots, and Chiefs dominate the line of scrimmage (at least on the offensive side). They may do it with 3 or 4 wide or spread personnel, but that doesn't change the reality.

It is not like McDermott's vision is to line up in the I-formation with two TEs and just slug the ball down the field. I think that really is what Rex or Marrone wanted to do. 

The issues on offense are many but scheme or philosophy is not the problem. It's everything else that made an offense we knew would be weak turn out historically bad - dead money, lack of talent, unexpected injuries on the O-line, poor planning at the backup QB, brutal schedule, etc. 

• Like (+1) 2

15 minutes ago, BillsFan1988 said:

I think the problem is also philosophy.

I don't disagree with you.  Every coach that comes in here has the same mindset "we're going to change the culture, and build a team that can compete in bad weather".   

Can we build a team that can compete in the NFL in 2018 and not 1978 pretty effing please????   They all want a solid running game and a great defense.   Meanwhile the Eagles/Rams/Chiefs are all building world beating offenses, and the Falcons and Saints are right there too.   

• Like (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, RalphWilson'sNewWar said:

Going to read some names

Wade Phillips

Greg Williams

Dick Jauron

Rex Ryan

Sean McDermott

I am on board with McBeane's immediate dismissal, as that will save us time in the long run.

It would also be great if Pegula ordered them to take a QB with our coming high first round pick for when Allen busts.  That will save us some time too at least in terms of having a backup shot at QB.  Doesn't mean the newly drafted QB will be any better but gotta keep taking QBs until we have one.

This whole thing is on pace to end at the end of next season, then more regime change, then more personnel change to make the new HC happy, etc.  

I'm just trying to save some time here. 

And YES, I would ONLY consider young, offensive minded HC candidates.  Not because that is totally necessary, but b/c I think it gives an advantage and creates the greatest chance for success.