Is Kelvin Benjamin soft? Or does he just not care?

blacklabel

22 hours ago, PatsFanNH said:

Maybe he Has packed it in because he feels none of the QBs that the Bills have can get him the ball so why go all out.  (It’s Crap he gets paid well to play.. but maybe he is trying get cut/traded?)

Could be. It's not like the currently healthy group of Bills QBs scream confidence. But he had these issues going back to Carolina where he was a favorite target of Cam's. So.. I dunno, I just feel like the dude acts as if he couldn't care less.

22 hours ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

It’s strange because he flashed what he could be in Carolina, but hasn’t seemed interested in developing that potential in the slightest here. Will prob go down as one of the worst WR FA pickups in this FO’s run. Our QB’s might clear the incompetent threshold if he played like he wanted the ball 

They traded for him and inherited what's left of his rookie deal so it's not like they dished out a bunch of money to him in free agency. His rookie year in Carolina was really good but then he blew out his knee. I wonder if the injury lingers in his mind. Even though his knee has healed and is healthy, some guys develop a mental block about it and it can affect their play. I wonder if he just plays it safe/careful in order to prevent injury. I'm not sure that's the best way to play, though. Because you can get hurt walking back to the huddle, ya know? An injury can happen any time in any way, so. Just looks like the guy doesn't care that much and that's kind of odd considering McBeane talked him up as a good locker room guy and someone who would be good for the culture. Is he good in a "what NOT to do as a professional" type of way? Did they bring him in to say, "See, all you younger players, this is what happens when you don't combine your natural talent with a strong work ethic. Kelvin Benjamin could be a top ten receiver in this league if he wanted it but he don't, so... today's lesson, don't be like Kelvin!" 

Edited by blacklabel
  • Thank you (+1) 1

22 hours ago, Nelius said:

Both, but he wasn't previously soft if that makes sense? He played aggressive early on in his career - see that gif against Richard Sherman that everybody uses in this instance, but still, I couldn't imagine him doing anything like that now.

I think the death of the kid's mom messed him up. He's just doesn't seem completely there right now.

Also this. I've seen Zay do it countless times, so that wasn't a rumor. I think Peterman was telling him where to line up a couple times just this past week.

I didn't know he lost his mom. Yeah, that could have had a profound impact on him. I also think his knee injury messes with him. Even though he's healthy from it, ya wonder if he plays with hesitance in order to prevent another injury. Or maybe he has some confidence issues? Carolina didn't miss a beat in 2015 when he went down and they made it to the Super Bowl without him. Maybe he thought of himself as a big important part of the offense but then saw that they just kept right on going without him. This is all me just speculating. It's just odd to see a player with such size and athletic talent play like a much smaller guy.

22 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

He simply isnt clutch.....the amount of balls that he should be snatching away from smaller defenders this year that end up on the ground is disturbing

This is where I'm at. So many times this season and last, he goes up and he's the first one to get his hands on the ball but he doesn't bring it in. It's like, is he just weak or is he not using all of his strength? Once he has his hands on that ball, he should have a vice grip on it and bring it in. Instead, he gets hit or a defender gets his arm in there and the ball ends up on the turf. I actually think he does care, at least a little... or at least when he's just had a play that makes him look bad. We've seen him look visibly frustrated after a drop... I wonder if that gets in his head, like, "Welp, there's drop number one, I'm screwed today" and he just half-***** it or starts to think he doesn't have it anymore, lacks the confidence, who knows. I just feel like a guy with his size, athleticism and ability should be out there dominating smaller DBs and providing a big target for these inexperienced QBs. He should be Josh Allen's best friend. Allen is developing his accuracy so how nice is it for him to have a 6'5" dude with a huge catch radius to go and get those off-target throws? They should be developing chemistry in that respect. Instead, it seems like Benjamin is thinking about what he's doing after the game while he's in the huddle and then when he gets to the line he has to look at Zay and go, "Where am I supposed to be?" Or he could already be in self-preservation mode, trying to ensure he doesn't get injured so he's healthy for free agency. But then on the flip-side, the effort he's putting on tape is not going to get him the type of offers he might be expecting. Bah. Just kind of a weird situation all around.

Edited by blacklabel

22 hours ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

I have never seen a starting WR play so slowwwwww. He is so bad that if our other WR's on this roster can't take his spot then they all need to go.

If KB, Croom, Mills and Ducasse are released at the end of the year it will be the best offseason ever. 

I'm almost certain KB won't be back.

I think Croom will have to earn his roster spot again. I'm guessing you're down on him due to his fumble last Sunday but I think there's some talent there. People lament the fact that they let O'Leary go but I guess they seem to forget that O'Leary is not a very athletic guy and was almost cut prior to the 2017 season until he improved as a blocker. Croom is a former WR so he's more athletic and I think they have him in their future plans.

As for Mills and Ducasse... I think Mills' deal is up after this season. I think Ducasse is signed through 2020. Mills actually hasn't been that bad this season. A lot of the issues fall on the interior. Bodine gets beat a lot, Miller doesn't seem like he's regained his 2016 form and Ducasse has had stretches where he's played well but also has had stretches where he's been pretty bad. As the season goes on, I would expect them to continue giving Wyatt Teller some playing time. Jeremiah Sirles and Conor McDermott are not an upgrade over Mills so... if they wanna do as much as they can to keep Allen from getting hurt again, probably don't play Sirles or McDermott.

On 11/6/2018 at 10:17 AM, Lofton80 said:

Go back and look at his performance at Florida St. or even the first preseason game, he has immense talent. Clearly, he lacks the passion at this point.    

Losing will do that. 

1 hour ago, blacklabel said:

I'm almost certain KB won't be back.

I think Croom will have to earn his roster spot again. I'm guessing you're down on him due to his fumble last Sunday but I think there's some talent there. People lament the fact that they let O'Leary go but I guess they seem to forget that O'Leary is not a very athletic guy and was almost cut prior to the 2017 season until he improved as a blocker. Croom is a former WR so he's more athletic and I think they have him in their future plans.

As for Mills and Ducasse... I think Mills' deal is up after this season. I think Ducasse is signed through 2020. Mills actually hasn't been that bad this season. A lot of the issues fall on the interior. Bodine gets beat a lot, Miller doesn't seem like he's regained his 2016 form and Ducasse has had stretches where he's played well but also has had stretches where he's been pretty bad. As the season goes on, I would expect them to continue giving Wyatt Teller some playing time. Jeremiah Sirles and Conor McDermott are not an upgrade over Mills so... if they wanna do as much as they can to keep Allen from getting hurt again, probably don't play Sirles or McDermott.

To me Croom is that second TE you can run in 2 TE sets and be successful

We simply need better offensive talent and then there are certain players like Croom, Zay, Murphy that will look better because the focus is not on them.

4 hours ago, zonabb said:

I'm sure he loves Jesus so let's not condemn him. That's the first trait they need in these guys.

I read this often. Is this true?  Does it matter to this front office that the players they pick are religious?  

1 hour ago, John from Riverside said:

To me Croom is that second TE you can run in 2 TE sets and be successful

We simply need better offensive talent and then there are certain players like Croom, Zay, Murphy that will look better because the focus is not on them.

No doubt. I was reading an article this morning that said there really aren't any clear-cut #1 WRs in this years draft but there are a number of guys with different skill sets. The article said that the Bills may be inclined to run without a "true #1 wideout" and instead have a collection of different playmakers to which Daboll can scheme to their strengths. Something like a group of guys that can compliment each other and then compensate in areas where others fall short. For instance, get a speedy WR that can zip by defenders but might struggle shedding press coverage against bigger, stronger corners. Compliment that with a big-bodied WR who can out-muscle DBs but may not be the fastest guy out there, etc etc. I think that's the route they may have to go as they build this offense, at least for right now. Just give Allen a whole box of toys that do different things as opposed to one super shiny, super expensive toy that will be relied upon heavily. I feel like I'm not phrasing this in the best way... late afternoon brain farts, I guess. But you get the gist.

I find it so odd that KB is such a bust this season, dude is on a contract year and hasn't collected a big contract in his career. You would think he would be balling out trying to get a big guaranteed deal. Dude is playing like a guy phoning it in on a fat guarantee in his ***** contract year. I hope he saves all that 5th year option money because that's the last significant money he is going to see in his career.