Is Kelvin Benjamin soft? Or does he just not care?

blacklabel

First, I've never been big on ripping on players. I've never cared for the vitriol some people spew when a player has a bad play or a bad game. These dudes are human beings with interesting jobs and we're all sitting on our couches acting like we know better, haha.

But... with Kelvin Benjamin... I have to wonder... is the dude soft, or does he just lack a serious passion for the game?

For a dude with his size, his catch radius and his leaping ability, he should be pulling down those contested catches most of the time. Instead, he seems to get his hands on it but so many times this season we've seen him high point a ball and as he's going to put it away, he gets hit/bumped/tackled and the ball flies out of his hands and falls incomplete. Was he known for having weak hands coming out of college?

Then on top of that, we've seen him alligator-arm a few throws this season to avoid a hit and it's like, man, you're 6'5", 245 lbs, use your momentum and weight and plow over that DB. But he just doesn't seem interested in being overly physical. And then he also has the gall to blame his issues in Carolina on Cam. He's free to say what he wants but that just seemed kinda immature. Just do the generic thing and thank the team that brought you into the NFL, say you'll miss your teammates there but you're excited for a new opportunity with a new team. Instead, he threw a former MVP QB under the bus. Kind of a schmuck move.

Or does he just not give a crap? He kinda strikes me as the type of player who found out at a young age that he was good at football but he never really liked the game all that much. But since he was good, he figured he'd ride that wave as far as it could take him and it's taken him to the NFL and made him millions of dollars. He's in a contract year and he's definitely not playing like a guy who's angling for a fancypants new deal. He just seems to be going through the motions. Doesn't jog back to the huddle, we often see Zay Jones redirecting him as they line up, I dunno.

I mean, I'm not gonna act like I know the guy, he could have some personal things going on that we are not aware of (nor should we be). But, it's just strange to watch this guy play. He's just about the epitome of that old scouting quip that goes, "Looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane."

Doubt he's back for 2019. I know I wouldn't spend the money on him. 

Personally, I hope they replace him with Tyrell Williams from the Chargers... but with the way that kid has been playing, I wouldn't doubt if LA tries to sit down with him soon and iron out an extension.

Thoughts?

• Like (+1) 2

I think his apparent dispassion is a mix of frustrations about the QB, frustration with himself for sucking, and all the while wanting to look like cool hand Luke.

He strikes me as the "too cool" type who doesn't want to commit mentally or take his share of the blame. Maybe I'm off base but that is my sense.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Shotgunner said:

I think his apparent dispassion is a mix of frustrations about the QB, frustration with himself for sucking, and all the while wanting to look like cool hand Luke.

He strikes me as the "too cool" type who doesn't want to commit mentally or take his share of the blame. Maybe I'm off base but that is my sense.

Lol all I could hear was “what we have hear is a failure to communicate” with that “cool hand Luke Reference. Lol

4 minutes ago, Shotgunner said:

I did feel that too cool vibe when he was smiling lying on the ground waiting for a teammate to come pull him up. Whatever act he is on, it’s costing him millions.

looks to me like he's just collecting a check. he shows no desire to compete.

just another notch in the McD/Beane regime that has shown they have no clue how to build/evaluate players on offense that in turn scores little to no points in a league where if you're not putting up at least 35 a game, you don't belong on the field.

buffalobills.jpg

4 minutes ago, Commonsense said:

I did feel that too cool vibe when he was smiling lying on the ground waiting for a teammate to come pull him up. Whatever act he is on, it’s costing him millions.

Yeah stuff like that is why I get that feeling.

Hard to tell though, some people smile or laugh when they are embarassed or uncomfortable. 

• Like (+1) 1

It’s strange because he flashed what he could be in Carolina, but hasn’t seemed interested in developing that potential in the slightest here. Will prob go down as one of the worst WR FA pickups in this FO’s run. Our QB’s might clear the incompetent threshold if he played like he wanted the ball 

2 minutes ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

It’s strange because he flashed what he could be in Carolina, but hasn’t seemed interested in developing that potential in the slightest here. Will prob go down as one of the worst WR FA pickups in this FO’s run. Our QB’s might clear the incompetent threshold if he played like he wanted the ball 

They traded a 3rd for him. Just pointing it out, not sure if it makes it better or worse. I'd lean towards worse.

Carolina fleeced them. How could two people work with a guy for a few years and be so clueless.

15 minutes ago, Shotgunner said:

I think this is pretty accurate.

• Like (+1) 3

If you watch him in Carolina games he was the exact opposite of how he's playing now, he rounds out his routes well, he used his size to his advantage and was Cam's go to WR. My opinion is that he's pulling a Leveon Bell while playing out his final year, he'll blame his performance on a poor supporting cast but it looks to me like a guy who knows he's on a terrible offensive team and doesn't want to get injured before his 2nd payday, maybe he is just soft and unmotivated but that wasn't the case in Carolina at least not what I saw in him.

1 minute ago, John from Riverside said:

He simply isnt clutch.....the amount of balls that he should be snatching away from smaller defenders this year that end up on the ground is disturbing

It’s not that he sucks, he is just trying to lose on purpose. He is part of the plan. 

1 minute ago, Commonsense said:

It’s not that he sucks, he is just trying to lose on purpose. He is part of the plan. 

No......trotting him out there over and over again knowing that he isnt going to make the plays is the "on purpose"

and yes...its part of the plan.  If it wasnt KB would have been benched and someone like Golden Tate traded for