And more piling on.....

Actually I don't think we're giving them enough credit. Consider this day and age where, like Brady said, it's just a glorified version of college ball. These teams are scoring at will. It's the most normal thing to see two offenses marching up and down the field at will.

And yet in the middle of all that the Bills have managed to make an offense that, through 9 games, is one of the worst in HISTORY. Think back to the days when passing was seen as a gimmick.

I'm not sure of the stats but I read today that this is the worst opening 9 games in Bills history. I mean that's going back to the 60s. That's just incredible. They really couldn't be worse if they'd tried to engineer it that way. 

I think we should take out hats off to them for an amazing accomplishment.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

I see that number higher.  I see a bunch of guys making 5-7 million or so a year being pursued.

I'm not saying Beane and McDermott will work themselves out of this offensive hole.

I am saying they could do it. 

Josh Allen's success will be key and that jury is still out.

I don't see very many of those guys being available in free agency and we're certainly aren't going to sign them all. 

There are tons of NFL teams with $50+ mil in cap space who will be trying to sign those guys as well. 

2 minutes ago, RobbRiddick said:

Actually I don't think we're giving them enough credit. Consider this day and age where, like Brady said, it's just a glorified version of college ball. These teams are scoring at will. It's the most normal thing to see two offenses marching up and down the field at will.

And yet in the middle of all that the Bills have managed to make an offense that, through 9 games, is one of the worst in HISTORY. Think back to the days when passing was seen as a gimmick.

I'm not sure of the stats but I read today that this is the worst opening 9 games in Bills history. I mean that's going back to the 60s. That's just incredible. They really couldn't be worse if they'd tried to engineer it that way. 

I think we should take out hats off to them for an amazing accomplishment.

I heard somewhere the franchise record for fewest points scored was 200 and we're on pace to score like 170 points this year. 

We won't just break the franchise record; we're on pace to shatter it. 

3 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

Look, it's really pretty simple.  We are all frustrated right now.  I get that.  I did my share of screaming at the TV on Sunday myself.  But this stuff about Beane not being trusted, getting 9 of 10 decisions wrong when that is demonstrably not true, calling for guys to be fired right now even knowing going into the season we had drafted a young QB that would at some point be put into the lineup, knowing they decided to take the big cap hit all at once, it just gets a bit over the top.

There was a thread that started a week ago that if Beane did not do X by the end of the day (that day being the final day for trades) he should not have a job at 4:00.  Well, it's 7 days later and he has a job.  One guy around here who likes to think he's some kind of QB savant goes on and on about the QB position:  how could the Bills have passed on Watson and Mahomes, the front office is clueless because he did so.  Then today what happens?  Someone finds a post from the same exact guy prior to the 2017 draft, where he says the Bills would be crazy to draft either Watson or Mahomes.  Same exact guy, saying exactly the opposite things.

I'll give you another example.  People talk all the time about the current regime not understanding what it takes to win in the modern NFL, that it is an offense league now.  And they somehow choose to ignore that Beane said right before last year's draft that you have to have a star QB to win.  McD said something similar just yesterday, but no one quotes that.

Again, we are all frustrated. All these threads about how so and so has to be fired, that they have no clue, and so on.  What purpose do they serve other than letting people just get their emotions out, because they know that no one is getting fired tomorrow or anytime soon.  If that's cathartic for some, fine.  I just find it puzzling.

My perspective comes with the wisdom of age, I suppose.  I have seen worse in the Bills history, with thoughts of 1967 and 68, 1977, the early 80's that come to mind.  Head coaches that were much worse.  GM's that were truly clueless.  The current season reminds me somewhat of the year right before Polian took over.  He went to Ralph and told him it would take money and time to turn things around.  And he was right.  And it took a few years, and an effective partnership between HC and GM to make it happen.

I have no idea whether Beane and McD are going to ultimately be successful.  Together they've had one draft, and they got the guy they think can be the long hoped for answer at QB (and, predictably, when they did that fans who have been clamoring for years that they never draft a QB immediately change tune and talk about how they should have had pieces to put around a young QB before drafting one).  Their success or failure will ride on Allen and how they use their cap space and draft picks to build the roster.  If they do well they will build a winner.  If not, they'll get fired.  As it should be.  But screaming about firing and all that kind of stuff?  If it's not some emotional rant just to rant, then what is it exactly?

i totally hear you. You make good points. It’s just an opinion. Some people think they are not doing a good job and don’t need another shot. Lots of real analysts are down on them too. Not because it’s popular to bash the bills. Cause there are some real issues with coaching. There is nothing wrong about getting emotional about a team you dearly love either.  Then to be told not to post my opinion 100 times?  Well then if you are positive about this franchise then why does anyone need to keep defending their point a 100 times?  

But regardless I appreciate your thoughtful and respectful post. We just don’t agree on everything. 

7 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

The guy that complains about everything in every post is telling another poster to lighten up?

#irony

Crticizing is not complaining. That’s why they are separate words. Can you move on and get nutty on someone else. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, BigBuff423 said:

You mean the same HC that gave this franchise it's first playoff birth in nearly two decades just last year???

And yes, they needed help, but when it's every other team in the NFL who makes it into the playoffs - via Wildcard - they're not torn down the same way this fan base does it with the Bills. Fact is, they still needed to win games to put themselves in a position to be in the playoffs, external help be damned. 

And for those who presume a rebuild occurs in two years is either 1. 10 years old 2. older, but similar maturity.

*berth*

5 hours ago, wppete said:

This season has been depressing. Possible the worst I have ever seen. Anyone remember a season that has been worse recently? 

My memory immediately goes back to the '80s.

Before that, many of the OJ teams were abortions as well.

This is as bad as it's been in a really long time.

All part of the plan, I hear.

14 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

I don't see very many of those guys being available in free agency and we're certainly aren't going to sign them all. 

There are tons of NFL teams with $50+ mil in cap space who will be trying to sign those guys as well. 

Nope, they won't.  I did say that is the kind of guys they will pursue.

5 hours ago, jrober38 said:

I don't understand how a HC can survive presiding over the worst offense in NFL history. 

He probably lives to see another day unless things spectacuarly collapse where it's blowout losses every game, locker room is lost, the boos at the Ralph reach fever pitch and McDermott has a Doug Whaley-esque press conference. 

The entire coaching staff on offense from coordinator down though, however, is on borrowed time at this point. I think Daboll's seat is hotter than the team would ever let on.  You don't want to get a reputation for firing people because the good people see it as a toxic workplace to avoid.  However, marching into a new season expecting greatness from doing all the same things that failed the year before is a different level of insanity.  ?

5 hours ago, jrober38 said:

I don't understand how a HC can survive presiding over the worst offense in NFL history. 

We keep operating under this bubble that the HC picked these players and the GM had no role while knowing they had to shed contracts to fix the cap things would be fine on offense. If you want to criticize their decision making on the QB and going with Peterman that is valid or that they could've drafted a WR earlier. They could've and should've brought in a veteran like Matt Moore who could've shielded them from their current spot. But in the grand scheme their goal was to fix the defense, draft a QB for the future, and fix the cap so moving forward which they have all three. 2019 is a massive year for Beane and McD's future, but they will be able to dictate for better or worse who they bring in and what they bring in with no restrictions. There are warning signs on what they are going for that I see from talent e v a l on offense to the willingness to overspend draftpicks for players when they could wait and have filled more holes.

But no team has a shot in hell firing coaches and front office every 2 years. Coaches need 3 years to get their guys in otherwise your just shuffling one guys parts in for another. Additionally what coach in his right mind wants to join an NFL team that fires a coach bi-yearly? That is the opposite of job security and you will not get the best candidates. Mahomes and Goff are super sexy I get that and the allure. Mahomes also walked into a ready made position with one of the best NFL coaches over the last two decades that had tons of skill guys and cap to add a player like Watkins. McVay took over a team that had drafted what they felt was the top QB 1st overall and also added weapons like Robert Woods and Andrew Whitworth at OL. Neither of these situations were present for McD when he took over and this was Beane's first true year on the job.

Before you say I am a defender of the team or unrealistic I get your criticism. I think they are to a certain extent really tone deaf with how they managed certain things especially with how they handled Peterman and how they didn't cut him after week 1. If your going to wipe the slate clean there are ways to do so without embarrassing yourself and adding garbage to navigate. It's great that the defense is set ready for a contender, but having a solid vet QB, drafting a WR, and paying for some OL help wouldn't have broke the bank while helping to lower the flak you'd receive in what was expected to be a rough season. They picked the other path and now face deserved criticism that they could've avoided, it is what it is.

But Buffalo hasn't allowed a coach/front office to come in pick their QB and build a team to their vision since truthfully Donahoe took over. That was over 15 years ago I am willing to let them see it through. If it does fail guess what we will have a top 3 pick with a new group to go with a new QB which moves the team that further ahead then cutting bait half way in.

I had already heard the stat about TDs = Pick 6s and reported on that at this forum...

But this one was new to me, and made me laugh: "No NFL quarterback since 1950 with at least 31 completions in a game has gained fewer yards than Peterman, with 189, did Sunday."

13 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

I agree.

We won't be able to sign any quality free agents, particularly on offense. Simply put no one is moving to Buffalo to join the worst offense in NFL history unless we over them significantly more money than anyone else is offering.

I see them going after one or two second tier guys, and several third/four tier guys to improve their depth and fill specific holes. 

They'll probably add an interior linemen who can start at one of the guard spots, and I think they'll sign a decent #3 type receiver (the WR class is really weak this year). Other than that I think they try to fill their offensive holes in the draft, adding a WR, OL and RB in the first three rounds. 

On defense they'll continue to bring in guys like they have in the past who fit our specific Cover 2 scheme. 

7 of our 10 draft picks are on day 3 of the draft. 

Expecting 8-14 new starters considering who is going to be available in free agency and what draft picks we actually have to use is a crazy expectation unless the Bills trade down in the 1st and 2nd rounds. 

I'd guess we sign two middle of the road free agents (OG, WR), and use early draft picks at WR, OG and RB. The rest of our picks will likely be guys who fill in as depth early on.

I think we can count on having about 5 new starters on offense, with maybe 2-3 more guys who contribute in a less significant role. Expecting double digit new starters isn't going to happen unless we spend like a bunch of drunken sailors in free agency. 

the entire roster this year is 119 million if you ignore dead cap. 

90 million gets you 12 Micah Hydes or 22 Jordan Poyers. 

There will be major roster turnover next year. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I respectfully don’t agree.  He sucked in the Titans game and we were losing against the Texans.  I’d rather see him than the other 2 but he was a pretty awful passer himself.  Good runner though.

Oh yeah, he is far from polished throwing the football. The Titans actually have a pretty good defense so I didn't worry much about that game. Definitely learning on the fly and making rookie mistakes. 

It was a rebuild year anyway, now we have two injured QBs and have to start the guy nobody in their right mind would start under any other circumstance now.  Traded away a starting o-lineman, had another unexpectedly retire due to health, and a third go outright bat-poop crazy.  Yeah, I think there are reasons the offense is this bad, and not all of it could be predicted by the front office.

11 hours ago, jrober38 said:

Then you dont seem to understand big pictures.

I dont even say this in a jerky way, but i dont understand how you dont understand this unless you just dont pay attention. You do understand this isnt the finished product right? Does it really need to be explained that this years or last years team werent designed to be good? In fairness, probably not this bad either - but the goal isnt to appease grumpy fans mid rebuild.  Look no further than down Lake Erie to see what happens each time a grumpy fan decides to trash a coach. You may not like the dude, but give the vision a chance. Dont be one of those idiots on facebook watching his pressers and commenting he should be fired. They look silly. Its a bad look. If you really dont understand, at least pretend to...

Edited by gobills1212
  • Haha (+1) 1