John Kryk: Bills' Defense First Model is Backward in Today's NFL

1 hour ago, blitzboy54 said:

Ha!

On pace as the WORST offense in NFL history but you disagree.  

Great is great. Mahomes may not have put up video game numbers but he is still great. No way you can justify passing on him.  Almost every prognosticator on the planet said to stay away from Allen but we traded up for him. No part of this article is wrong. Complete train wreck.

Every offensive player we shipped out is having a carrier year outside of Taylor. But you disagree.  

Give me a break....put Mahomes behind this line and give him no one to throw to...is he better than what the Bills have as of right now? Of course, but he also had a year with Reid and A. Smith tutoring him. So if that doesn't alter your perception, than you've simply decided to flog McD and Beane while ignoring context. In either respect...nothing else to be said. 

31 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

By the time the offense is any good in this hypothetical rebuild, we'll have exactly zero edge pass rushers. You know, the most important position on defense.

Jerry Hughes is getting old and Trent Murphy will be in a hoverround. 

This whole damn rebuild consists of nothing but euphemisms for incompetence.

We are talking about the difference of ONE YEAR.

Focus on the offense in 2018.  Focus on the offense in 2019.  It doesn't matter.

We were starting a rookie QB this year.  We weren't going to be good, no matter what we did. 

The worst four offenses in the NFL are Buffalo, Cleveland, Arizona and the NY Jets.  Guess what they all have in common?

Just now, mjt328 said:

Focus on the offense in 2018.  Focus on the offense in 2019.  It doesn't matter.

We were starting a rookie QB this year.  We weren't going to be good, no matter what we did. 

The worst four offenses in the NFL are Buffalo, Cleveland, Arizona and the NY Jets.  Guess what they all have in common?

They all drafted bad quarterbacks.

• Haha (+1) 1

Just now, LSHMEAB said:

They all drafted bad quarterbacks.

Almost all quarterbacks are BAD as rookies.  Jared Goff was awful his first season, and he now runs the best offense in the entire NFL.

The biggest complaint I keep hearing is that Beane didn't surround Josh Allen with tons of offensive weapons as a rookie.

But even if you surround a rookie QB with talent (see Dak Prescott for example) - he EVENTUALLY needs to prove he can succeed in the NFL on his own merits.

This team isn't built for now.  It's being built for 2019, 2020 and beyond. 

So quit trying to judge this team NOW.

1 minute ago, mjt328 said:

Almost all quarterbacks are BAD as rookies.  Jared Goff was awful his first season, and he now runs the best offense in the entire NFL.

The biggest complaint I keep hearing is that Beane didn't surround Josh Allen with tons of offensive weapons as a rookie.

But even if you surround a rookie QB with talent (see Dak Prescott for example) - he EVENTUALLY needs to prove he can succeed in the NFL on his own merits.

That all sounds nice.  However we listen to a HC in McDermott who continually talks of running the ball and being tough because of Buffalo weather.   Never have I heard him talk of a high powered offense that forces defenses to be on their heels because of explosive play potential.   He seems philosophically out of step with the modern NFL.

4 minutes ago, mjt328 said:

I'm of the OPINION that none of these rookie QB's are going to pan out. That's an opinion I'm entitled to hold.

I was, however, being glib in my response. And I don't agree that almost all rookie quarterbacks are BAD. Most of the good ones are just below average.

For every Jared Goff, there's 100 Kyle Boller's.

• Like (+1) 1

I’m disgusted by the offense and, what I perceive to be, extremely poor planning relative to Josh Allen’s development. With that being said I’m sure they will use newly freed funds and draft capital to upgrade the offensive personnel this offseason. I think they run out of excuses if things are not radically improved next season.

What is really bothering me though is the subject of this thread in general. Sure they have loads of rescources this offseason, but nothing gives me confidence they have the vision or coaching to build an offense that wins today. Unless McDermott is feeding misinformation on his guiding philosophies, he believes in the run game, field position, hard defense, etc. Basically what won yesterday.

It’s hearing him talk that has me very pessimistic with this regime and making this year seem a waste rather than a rebuild.

Edited by Rockpile233

I disagree with this. I don't think it's backward, it's just hard to build. Just as hard as landing a great QB. Teams have done it. Sea. Minn. Balt. Pitt. Cincy. If they're going for a power defense and 20 passes type team they are closer to that style than having a great passing offense with a great pocket passer.

3 hours ago, jrober38 said:

It's hard to win if you're the "worst" on either side of the ball, but if you're talking top 5 O + bottom 5 D vs bottom 5 O + top 5 D the team with the top offense is winning a lot more often than the team with the top D in 2018. 

It's kind of funny to mention that - I've mentioned a few times two of my mates from undergrad are bucs fans and we all convene remotely on sundays to collectively grieve about our teams (other party is a Jets fan). But the topic gets mentioned almost weekly that the Bucs and Bills are exact opposites of each other, yet very comparable. The Bucs have an offense with, albeit, Fitz at QB but still right sight better than our current stable of QBs, but absolutely no defense. The way we act about our offense, Bucs fans are acting equally so about their Defense. It's a pretty pathetic defense to say the least, as are some of the comments. And we all know what the Bills have. 

I always say I'd take the Bucs situation over the Bills any day in those conversations, as it's at least fun to watch. But what's funny is they've won 3 games to our 2. And while they have a bye week on us, the end result isn't all that different. Now the Bucs don't have a top 5 offense, but top 5 offense and bottom 5 defense only get you so far until your offense just can't keep up anymore. Case example: the jags made it to the conference championship on the backs of a defense last year - I mean, Blake Bortles? Really? Does anyone really think it was Bortles that got the Jags that far last year? 

The only real difference the switched scenarios would have here is that it'd be an easier pill for us to swallow every week watching the Bills, and maybe we have one more win than we do. But in reality, and quite obviously, you need both to compete - while it's just simply easier for offenses to move the ball in the current NFL the actual reality of that translating into results of W's v. L's is varied thanks to teams like the Jags. While they are fewer and far between, defense is not irrelevant to having success in today's NFL and this whole thread is a year too early. Let's talk about the offense when we've actually built the damn offense...it doesn't matter where we start until we end up where we've intended - and no GM, no matter how bad, intends to only have half of a football team.

Edited by ctk232

29 minutes ago, mjt328 said:

And the one that hires a new offense oriented hc will have a better chance to succeed.

40 minutes ago, mjt328 said:

So while I agree to a point, you have to keep in mind that while there is definite correlation there, you're implying causation. You can create lists to support your beliefs as much as you want: mike tomlin, marvin lewis, dan quinn, ron rivera, AND bill belichick all DCs before their success, John Harbaugh was a ST coach, just to name a few.

You can also create a list of offensive minded coaches currently struggling to counter on the other end as well: Jason Garrett, Adam Gase, Pat Shurmur, even Kyle Shanahan who we seem to love after one game by Mullens, and Dirk Koetter.

Point is there's a lot that goes into an HC being successful, and it is true that a defensive minded coach is likely not going to have the best offensive mind, but that isn't a blanket argument you can use to discredit an HC of any background. 

Edited by ctk232

Like I can’t believe this even needs to be stated.  McDermott is a dime a dozen nfl head coach.  But much like Dick Jauron, he would be best if was the head coach of a team with a franchise qb.  He would be fine in that role.

but to give a guy with his idea of nfl football complete power over this franchise is kinda insane.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, mjt328 said:

Do you really think the offense can go from worst in modern NFL history to good (or even mediocre) in just one year? I think that realistically, we're looking at a bottom 5 or bottom 10 offense next year, even if the Bills do a good job rebuilding it in the offseason. 

1 hour ago, mjt328 said:

Goff's turnaround coincided with a coaching change. Do you think he would be doing this well if Fisher was still his HC?

For the record, I still don't think McD should be fired this year. But he shouldn't feel comfortable, either. Presiding over the worst offense in league history should make anyone's seat warm. 

34 minutes ago, Cash said:

Do you really think the offense can go from worst in modern NFL history to good (or even mediocre) in just one year? I think that realistically, we're looking at a bottom 5 or bottom 10 offense next year, even if the Bills do a good job rebuilding it in the offseason. 

It happens all the time.

Every year, you can can find teams (offense or defense) that go from the bottom of the NFL to the Top 10.

SO MUCH hinges on the development of Josh Allen. 

He was very raw coming out of college.  Right now, he's struggling with pretty much everything - reading a defense, holding the ball too long, throwing mechanics.  Even slight improvements in any of these areas can make a world of difference

Goff's turnaround coincided with a coaching change. Do you think he would be doing this well if Fisher was still his HC?

There are many factors  in Goff's improvement.

McVay's system helped.  Adding receiving weapons helped.  Improving the offensive line helped.

But don't discount how much better Goff himself became as a QB.

The Rams were the perfect example of an offensive turnaround.

I think a team like the Chicago Bears is more of a realistic goal.  They have improved drastically with some solid (but unspectacular) free agent additions, and marginal improvement from their second year QB.

For the record, I still don't think McD should be fired this year. But he shouldn't feel comfortable, either. Presiding over the worst offense in league history should make anyone's seat warm. 

I don't get the impression McDermott is "comfortable."

He wants to win.  He wants to get better.

Even if he didn't expect this level of bad from his offense, I think he knew they would struggle.

That's why he talks about being run-heavy and relying on the defense.  Not because it's a long-term strategy.  But because he knew it would be necessary with a rookie QB.

Whatever the flavor of the year is, so goes the “trend”.

If anyone here tells me that the Seahawks team that won the SB earlier this decade couldn’t win it today, I’d say you are nuts.

There are, and always will be, more than one way to win a Championship.

• Like (+1) 2