John Kryk: Bills' Defense First Model is Backward in Today's NFL

1 hour ago, jrober38 said:

Sean McDermott has nothing in common philosophically with any of the top coaches in the NFL.

He's conservative, and believes in running the ball, playing defense, establishing the line of scrimmage and playing field position.

He constantly ignores basic probabilities by always punting on 4th and short when we're in opposition territory.

In a league that's becoming more and more innovative and aggressive on the offensive side of the ball, our coach is holding on to the way things used to be 10 years ago, and accordingly isn't cut out to be an NFL HC right now. 

Defence doesn’t win in today’s NFL. The Chiefs are 3rd in offence and 31st in defence, the Bills are 3rd and defence and 32nd in offence. You might need at least a solid D to win a Super Bowl, but having a good record is all about offence.

11 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

The first pick for the Bills in the 2018 draft was an offensive player.  Eric Wood having a career ending condition was unforeseen.  So saying that McDermott completely neglected the offense is a stretch.  Nothing in the way of impact players for the positions of which we were in need of on offense were there to be had in free agency.  Further, run defense was top of the list of things to be addressed based on what we saw last season and was done through this past draft and FA period.

Losing Wood and Incognito this offseason was devastating.

39 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

To see where the NFL is going people should watch the Saints-Rams game from Sunday afternoon.

Those teams are playing a different sport than the Bills. 

They value possessions, and try to score every time they get the football. 

Our coach has nothing in common philosophically with Sean Payton or Sean McVay, and that's a major problem in my eyes. 

Do you believe the Bills aren’t trying to score? There’s a difference between not trying to score and not being able to score. Also, do you really believe the critical difference between the Bills and the Rams and Saints is the philosophical difference between the head coaches? That may be true, but it would be nice to have the Rams and Saints offensive personnel in order to make a better determination. 

I made this point a few days ago. Mcd is coaching in the wrong era.

He would have probably been a good coach 10-15 years ago. Cause he can coach defence very well. 

But I think he is too old school in his way of thinking, and there is no secret he has a very hard time identifying good offensive talent

Sean McDermott has nothing in common philosophically with any of the top coaches in the NFL.

He's conservative, and believes in running the ball, playing defense, establishing the line of scrimmage and playing field position.

He constantly ignores basic probabilities by always punting on 4th and short when we're in opposition territory.

In a league that's becoming more and more innovative and aggressive on the offensive side of the ball, our coach is holding on to the way things used to be 10 years ago, and accordingly isn't cut out to be an NFL HC right now. 

Yeah, we know.  Youboosted the same thing in half the threads on the front page.  Thanks again 

Just now, billsfan11 said:

He would have probably been a good coach 10-15 years ago. Cause he can coach defence very well. 

But I think he is too old school in his way of thinking, and there is no secret he has a very hard time identifying good offensive talent

Also, since his strength is the defensive side of the ball he should use most of his investments to bolster the other side. McD should really on his coaching ability to have an overachieving defence to go with a talented offence.

• Like (+1) 2

21 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Do you believe the Bills aren’t trying to score? There’s a difference between not trying to score and not being able to score. Also, do you really believe the critical difference between the Bills and the Rams and Saints is the philosophical difference between the head coaches? That may be true, but it would be nice to have the Rams and Saints offensive personnel in order to make a better determination. 

It's not happenstance. The acquisition of the their excellent offensive personnel was driven by the overall philosophy and strategy.  

Edited by 26CornerBlitz
  • Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, K-9 said:

I’d say it’s a very strong critical difference. The philosophy influences the personnel decisions , the GM etc. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, billspro said:

Also, since his strength is the defensive side of the ball he should use most of his investments to bolster the other side. McD should really on his coaching ability to have an overachieving defence to go with a talented offence.

I think that the FO's approach in part was driven by the dearth of free agent offensive players.  There were no big name players or even steady contributor's out there for us to have this past offseason.

To see where the NFL is going people should watch the Saints-Rams game from Sunday afternoon.

Those teams are playing a different sport than the Bills. 

They value possessions, and try to score every time they get the football. 

Our coach has nothing in common philosophically with Sean Payton or Sean McVay, and that's a major problem in my eyes. 

D is merely an interlude between scoring opportunities in the NFL

been that way for many a long year

going with the D is automatically putting the Bills in the lower third of the NFL, hoping for a 10-7 win

the Bills are providing about 10 points a game on the board, but gee whiz that ain't winning after all

5 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

It's not happenstance. Their acquisition of the their excellent offensive personnel was driven by the overall philosophy and strategy.  

neither the Saints or Chiefs have high drafted RBs either.  Hunt and Kamara are both what 3rd and 4th round picks?   The Rams invested in Gurley, and he's paid off big time.  But the philosophy of "get great QB, get him weapons, and outscore everyone else" is at the VERY least an exciting brand of football.     

Grinding out 13-10 wins is boring as well as not the kind of football that is winning championships in this decade.   The rules have changed.   The game has changed.   The Bills have not. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Soda Popinski said:

neither the Saints or Chiefs have high drafted RBs either.  Hunt and Kamara are both what 3rd and 4th round picks?   The Rams invested in Gurley, and he's paid off big time.  But the philosophy of "get great QB, get him weapons, and outscore everyone else" is at the VERY least an exciting brand of football.     

Grinding out 13-10 wins is boring as well as not the kind of football that is winning championships in this decade.   The rules have changed.   The game has changed.   The Bills have not. 

RBs are a dime a dozen

sometimes one pans out but he's not going to be around long

2 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

I think that the FO's approach in part was driven by the dearth of free agent offensive players.  There were no big name players or even steady contributor's out there for us to have this past offseason.

To the contrary, OG Andrew Norwell was available in UFA.  A position of major need.

13 minutes ago, billspro said:

Good point. It kind of reminds me of what Mcvay did. Except the opposite side of course.

He is an offensive wizard everyone knows that by now.

So he takes care of the offence, he hires Wade Phillips to take care of the defensive side, and uses tons of investments to get Talib, Peters, Suh, Nickell Robey, Fowler etc.

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

It's not happenstance. Their acquisition of the their excellent offensive personnel was driven by the overall philosophy and strategy.  

2 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

I’d say it’s a very strong critical difference. The philosophy influences the personnel decisions , the GM etc. 

Fair points. And McBeane’s philosophy in that regard remains to be seen, especially Beane’s, who I can’t judge on one draft and one free agency period. He made getting a QB his top priority and then screwed the pooch with other aspects of securing the position, so he’s been a mixed bag so far. 

I was looking at on field coaching philosophy given the assertion that the Rams and Saints “try to score” every possession while their respective offenses play like pinball machines marching up and down the field. I think every coach would  have that philosophy given the kind of talent to do so. Even McD, who, as a lifelong D coach, presumably understands its easier to play defense when the opposition has to play from behind late in games. 

I disagree with the basic premise of this article.

Brandon Beane and Sean McDermott are not trying to build a defense-heavy team.

If the front office wanted to play conservative/run-heavy/low-scoring styled football - then WHY IN THE WORLD did they spend so much time acquiring draft capitol and then trading multiple picks to move up and grab the riskiest - highest ceiling Quarterback in the entire draft.  They could have just kept Tyrod Taylor or gone for a mid-level veteran and used all of their picks on defense. 

Just because they have used more resources on the defense SO FAR, doesn't mean that is the plan for the long-haul. 

Edited by mjt328
  • Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

To the contrary, OG Andrew Norwell was available in UFA.  A position of major need.

He might have been priced higher than what Beane wanted to pay or he made have had a wish list of teams that did not include the Bills.  In any event that that is one name as opposed to a list of several players or more to choose from.  To fixate on one name makes as much sense as fixating on one girl you really don't know for the sake of going to the prom.  Sure, she is out there but it is not a slam dunk you are going to get her.

1 minute ago, RochesterRob said:

He might have been priced higher than what Beane wanted to pay or he made have had a wish list of teams that did not include the Bills.  In any event that that is one name as opposed to a list of several players or more to choose from.  To fixate on one name makes as much sense as fixating on one girl you really don't know for the sake of going to the prom.  Sure, she is out there but it is not a slam dunk you are going to get her.

The Carolina connection was there with Norwell just as it was for the $50M Star they signed at DT. 

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

Just now, mjt328 said:

I disagree with the basic premise of this article.

Brandon Beane and Sean McDermott are not trying to build a defense-heavy team.

If the front office wanted to play conservative/run-heavy/low-scoring styled football - then WHY IN THE WORLD did they spend so much time acquiring draft capitol and then trading multiple picks to move up and grab the riskiest - highest ceiling Quarterback in the entire draft.  They could have just kept Tyrod Taylor or gone for a mid-level veteran and used all of their picks on defense. 

Just because they have used more resources on the defense SO FAR, doesn't mean that is the plan for the long-haul. 

I don't know if it is because memories are so short but yeah the book on Allen was if he reached his ceiling then he was going to be well more than a dink and dunk QB.  

32 minutes ago, billsfan11 said:

When you run into some situation where you don't know what you're doing you have some choices to make.  Keep doing it your way and fail, get somebody else to do it, or do some learning and develop the needed expertise.  So to me we need to see if he's smart enough to take a look at his performance and learn from his mistakes.

Based on behavior and tendencies from year 1 to year 2 right now the answer seems to be 'No'.  But the light might go on and coaches can develop just like players.  Bill Belichik was fired from his first head coaching gig but now he's arguably one of the best coaches of all-time (sure getting TB helped).  Will McDermott follow that path or cling to his 'process' in season 3?  

Some dreadful personnel decisions on the offensive side of the ball doomed this group before the season started.  From botching the QB situation, to doing nothing about offensive line and retirements, and settling for poor receiving group this dumpster fire of an offense was lit before the season.  That's my gripe more than in-game decisions or tendencies.  It was obvious this offense was a disaster in the making.  Obvious to everyone but the guys in the front office and the coaching staff that could do something about it.  If McDermott truly has that much control over personnel decisions then he's his own worst enemy here and better step back, focus on coaching, and let the front office do the player evaluations and personnel decisions.  Otherwise he'll be out the door end of year 3 and we'll be back to the start of this time loop the Bills are stuck in for forever.

Edited by All_Pro_Bills
  • Like (+1) 1