McDermott isn't going anywhere....

TwistofFate

On 11/6/2018 at 1:27 AM, Thurman#1 said:

Got a riddle for you. When is the #16 offense a top ten offense? And the correct answer is "Um, what?" You're talking about the 2016 offense, presumably, and they were the #16 offense, that's a fact.

If you're referring to the fact that we were the #10 team at scoring, that's correct, but it's NOT a stat that even comes close to isolating the offense. It's a team stat, maybe 60 - 70% offense but with a ton of contribution from the D and the STs. When the Bills offense scores a pick six, the offense hasn't accomplished anything even if scoring goes up seven points. And when the defense intercepts and returns it to the two yard-line and the offense loses 10 yards and kicks an FG, that looks great for people who think that scoring is an offensive stat. But it's not.

That was not a good offense. It was a decent offense, an offense that could run the ball extremely well but was well below-average at passing.They had the 11th-best average drive start, and that's because they had a higher than average number of really good starts. And in turn they left the defense the 23rd best average drive start.

As for how that's different from Rex, there's a vast difference. Rex came in promising he could reload. He was just so daggone terrific that he was going to compete for a title - and soon- with a QB like Tyrod. "Is this thing on? Because it's going to be on." He didn't need no stinking rebuild.

McDermott and Beane on the other hand knew that with the salary cap a shambles and no real QB that they were going to need a rebuild. They didn't promise any different. And while the offense is certainly worse this year at least the defense got a ton better and they brought in a potential franchise QB so that the future has real hope. Rebuilds this complete suck. That's who they are. That's what they do. And being handed a crappy cap situation made things even worse.

Yards don't win football games. Just like 300 yards passing in garbage time don't matter. But your points are well taken. The offense was average. Well McD has turned it into the worst offense in decades. Not just Bills offense. Worst in the NFL in decades by yards or points or whatever stat you want to use. So I would say going from average to historically bad is destroying the offense.

Second, the team had no cap issue and had enough cap room to keep Gilmore or Woods. I would have kept Gilmore on a franchise tag and let Woods walk. Said it at the time. Gilmore was better than fans thought and I still think Tams overpaid for Woods. But Woods has mostly lived up to his contract.  They have wasted millions on a fullback, overpaid for Star, and signed a broken down PED Murphy. The dead cap space is all a result of Beane and McD getting rid of talent. It is a manufactured issue. His FA decisions have been terrible.  Murphy, Davis, Gaines, Bodine, are all terrible. Trade of Darby for Mathews terrible. 

But in the end if Allen plays well in the second half of the season and looks like a franchise guy, both will be back.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Chemical said:

Those of you who are explaining away the worst offense of all time by saying we and they knew this was coming; please also post your preseason record prediction. Something tells me your rosy outlook didn’t start now. 

I predicted a 2-5 start.   May be able to locate it around the board somewhere. 

5 road games in the first 7 games with a team this young was trouble from the word GO. 

What I didn't foresee was KB becoming the absolute waste he's become. 

5 minutes ago, TwistofFate said:

I predicted a 2-5 start.   May be able to locate it around the board somewhere. 

5 road games in the first 7 games with a team this young was trouble from the word GO. 

What I didn't foresee was KB becoming the absolute waste he's become. 

And are you one of those who still has faith in McDermott? My point was that people who blindly have faith in this regime still also probably predicted a decent record before the season because they’re constantly in denial despite all evidence to the contrary. Yet they still use the excuse that we all knew it would be bad.

On 11/7/2018 at 6:03 PM, iinii said:

By that reasoning you better give Daboll two more years. He doesn’t know who will be playing next year, at least not the bulk of the offense. They are either in college or playing elsewhere this year. 

Who hired the OC?

McD. Just read an article a week or two ago that basically stated considering the talent he has to work with , Daboll's done pretty well.   So not really faulting him there, lets first see what he can do with some talent on the team.  Reading your response the other poster, kind of stats the same.

5 minutes ago, 97bills said:

I swear I hope all bills fans ant this stupid 2 years and you want to fire him lol he is trying to build something good here that takes 4/5 years buddy. 

I certainly hope it doesn't take 4 to 5 years. I think it should at least start to take form next season. 4 or 5 years? LOL come on man....

• Like (+1) 1

53 minutes ago, 97bills said:

I swear I hope all bills fans ant this stupid 2 years and you want to fire him lol he is trying to build something good here that takes 4/5 years buddy. 

Care to give examples of teams which have taken 4-5 years to rebuild successfully after being bad for 15+ years?

On 11/6/2018 at 11:04 AM, LABILLBACKER said:

The fact that this team drastically over achieved last year backing into the playoffs with a miracle Dalton throw sent the fanbase into a very unrealistic expectation position. Last year was supposed to be the tank season of the process. Instead it's this year. So in other words the process will now take 4 years instead of 3. If this organization doesn't draft and sign 90% offense, they will lose this fanbase and their jobs.

Agreed on the first part about overachieving and getting a lucky break to make the playoffs, but it was always going to be a two year rebuild considering the cap space.  So like it or not, they got rid of everyone they didn't see in a Bills uni in 2019, regardless of how it impacted '17 (turns out very little) or '18 (turns out quite a bit).

And by the way, people drastically underestimate how much the unexpected losses of Wood and Incognito killed this season.  If those guys are playing, McCoy is still running, Allen is protected better, and they don't have the worst offense in history.  Yes, they'd still suck but it wouldn't be this level of dumpster fire.

2 hours ago, Fan in Chicago said:

Care to give examples of teams which have taken 4-5 years to rebuild successfully after being bad for 15+ years?

You'd have to go back a few decades but I'm sure a fan in Chicago can think of at least one example!

Edited by KD in CA

3 hours ago, Patrick_Duffy said:

I certainly hope it doesn't take 4 to 5 years. I think it should at least start to take form next season. 4 or 5 years? LOL come on man....

Understand that the 4 to 5 years started a season ago....not this year.

Year 1.....dumping players/salaries for draft picks......shedding salary......evaluating Tyrod Taylor

Year 2 (this ear) eating huge dead cap sandwich......team is not good due to lack of offensive talent.....but defense i nearly complete.  AQUIRING OF QB

Year 3 (next year) large focus on offensive side of the ball.....fine tuning the defense and making sure depth is there.....QB has year in system......team looks promising (possibly a wildcard?)

Year 4 (the year after) legit playoff push......QB now has 2 years in system.....offensive talent is set and now aquiring depth......defense is very good

1 hour ago, John from Riverside said:

Understand that the 4 to 5 years started a season ago....not this year.

Year 1.....dumping players/salaries for draft picks......shedding salary......evaluating Tyrod Taylor

Year 2 (this ear) eating huge dead cap sandwich......team is not good due to lack of offensive talent.....but defense i nearly complete.  AQUIRING OF QB

Year 3 (next year) large focus on offensive side of the ball.....fine tuning the defense and making sure depth is there.....QB has year in system......team looks promising (possibly a wildcard?)

Year 4 (the year after) legit playoff push......QB now has 2 years in system.....offensive talent is set and now aquiring depth......defense is very good

if next year the offense doesn't start to improve next season, IMO MCD seat will begin getting pretty dam hot.And(hence why i said " should start to take form" ,or at least improve next season, and yes, I know it started a season ago.

If the offense looks like ***** all throughout next season like it does now (which will be season 3), he doesnt make it to year 5, lucky to make 4 IMO

Edited by Patrick_Duffy

On 11/7/2018 at 12:36 PM, Nihilarian said:

You have to realize that McD hired Beane and was probably following what he asked to do by the HC. McD listened to his line coach who told him the line would be fine and he also listened to his OC who told him Peterman would be fine.

Understand that these men have conferences in which they go to great lengths to talk over the roster, sometimes arguing. While Beane is somewhat culpable for the product on the field, he is also under McD on the org chart. At this point the buck should stop with the HC. 

I would keep Beane simply for the way he masterfully was able to obtain Josh Allen in the draft. So many Bills fans wanted the team to give up the farm trade up to that #2 spot with the NY Giants to draft Josh Rosen...the chosen! I think Beane worked some magic and got the best QB, LBer in this years draft. 

Now, someone needs to be held accountable for the Buffalo Bills 2018 offense which could not only set franchise records for being bad as they can set NFL records...they are close. If McD doesn't fires his OC then he needs to go. 

If you recall they really loved Rex Ryan too. They fired him in his 2nd year after regressing one game from 8-8 to 7-8 with one game left in the season. This bye week is going to be very interesting. 

Lol  are you serious!? Guarantee McDermott is not fired after the bye and after this season.

the Pegulas want stability and the only reason they canned rex is because he sold them a bill of goods. 

McD is here for the long haul.

On 11/9/2018 at 11:57 AM, ScottLaw said:

Your cap argument is a farce. They simply wanted to bring in their own guys and build their own team, regardless of the YOUNG TALENT already in place. How do you figure their cap was a mess when they signed Poyer and Hyde in McDermotts first offseason here? 

They didnt need to do what they did. They choose an extremely difficult path to get this team to be a perennial contender and honestly I'd be shocked if they get to see it through. I think they'll both be gone by the end of year three when the offense and team are still struggling, but I've been wrong before.

Sorry, man, but that cap thing is true. And pretty much everyone knows it, nationally. It's really only a few Bills fans arguing otherwise.

The reason they were able to sign Poyer and Hyde in McDermott's first offseason here was because they had already started a cap purge and knew they had to continue it the next year. Together those two totalled less than $10 mill a year. Those were not big signings. They were both very reasonable. For example, they signed those two for just over half of what they saved by trading Watkins.

They signed Poyer and Hyde because they felt they could do that and still get the cap in line so that by 2019 they would have a ton of money to spend. And as they have shown, they were correct.

They absolutely did have to do what they did. First because they had told the Pegulas at the interview that they would get the cap in order by the end of 2018. And second because it's how good teams operate. You occasionally see good teams cornering themselves if they feel they're in a Super Bowl window. Needless to say, we are not in a Super Bowl window.

And yeah, they chose a difficult path. The only more difficult path would have been all the others. There is no easy path from a team in cap trouble with an average lineup and no QB to being a consistent contender. A complete rebuild is almost certainly the highest-percentage way to go. But there is no easy way. Expect Beane to be here five years at a minimum unless the team absolutely self-combusts over the next couple of years.  But looking at their drafts the past two years, my guess is that we'll still see both of them here for another five years or so at least.

On 11/8/2018 at 11:50 PM, Dadonkadonk said:

Yards don't win football games. Just like 300 yards passing in garbage time don't matter. But your points are well taken. The offense was average. Well McD has turned it into the worst offense in decades. Not just Bills offense. Worst in the NFL in decades by yards or points or whatever stat you want to use. So I would say going from average to historically bad is destroying the offense.

Second, the team had no cap issue and had enough cap room to keep Gilmore or Woods. I would have kept Gilmore on a franchise tag and let Woods walk. Said it at the time. Gilmore was better than fans thought and I still think Tams overpaid for Woods. But Woods has mostly lived up to his contract.  They have wasted millions on a fullback, overpaid for Star, and signed a broken down PED Murphy. The dead cap space is all a result of Beane and McD getting rid of talent. It is a manufactured issue. His FA decisions have been terrible.  Murphy, Davis, Gaines, Bodine, are all terrible. Trade of Darby for Mathews terrible. 

But in the end if Allen plays well in the second half of the season and looks like a franchise guy, both will be back.

Of course they'll be back. Allen could sit on the bench or look like developmental rookies look and they will be back.

And yes the offense got worse, but this is to be expected. Getting worse is what happens to teams doing a near-complete rebuild. Particularly teams that started out in serious cap trouble. And yes they were in cap trouble.

Out of all the people we lost in this cap purge, I agree with you that Woods and Gilmore were the biggest losses. I wanted to keep them both at the time. They were the only two I felt that way about.

And they didn't trade Darby for Matthews. They traded Darby for a 3rd round pick so that they could be sure they'd have enough trade capital to be able to get one of the top four QBs, and got Matthews on top of that.

Lotulelei is worth every penny. And how come you folks who spend so much time talking about how bad the offense is don't spend the same amount of time talking about how good the defense is? Exactly. Because you only want to mention what's wrong. Things going right don't fit your narrative.

And yes the dead cap space is because they got rid of "talent". If they had kept that "talent" they'd have almost no dead cap space but almost exactly the same cap situation this year (the money they spent on dead cap space this year is almost exactly what they saved this year on salary and roster bonuses and stuff. But the huge advantage of accumulating that dead cap space this year is that next year those guys are off the books, whereas if they weren't we'd still be in cap trouble the next few years paying guys like Sammy (assuming we'd ponied up to keep him) and Dareus to underperform their contracts.

Murphy's been alright when healthy. "Davis, Gaines, Bodine all terrible"? Good lord, what a horrible point. At least it makes your objective here - finding anything to nitpick and B word about - as plain as the nose on your face. Davis was OK but quit. Costing us less than a mill on the cap assuming they get his signing bonus back, which they are likely to do. Gaines is like veteran minimum for half a season. These guys aren't expensive. Outside of Davis quitting they were cheap fill-ins who are playing like that. They also brought in Poyer and Hyde. Strangely, you didn't mention them along with Davis, Gaines and Bodine. Wonder why that is.

On 11/7/2018 at 6:22 AM, C.Biscuit97 said:

Because it was completely, 100% Luck.  Trust me, I used to love bringing up Jauron’s 13-3, coach of the year season in defending him.

this is one of the worst offenses in the history of the nfl in a league where it begs you to score.  SM is on his second OC and has 2 of his hand picked Qbs.  It is a complete disaster.

How was it 100% luck? Did they not win 9 games just like the other teams that missed out.