McDermott isn't going anywhere....

TwistofFate

19 minutes ago, BillsVet said:

I thought I'd seen everything on this board the past 10+ years, but the idea that this was the plan remains the most unbelievable narrative I've ever observed.  It is amazing how some people can make the stretch that being a statistically top 5 worst offense in the past 40 years (likely worst when factoring in rules, style of play) is beyond the pale.  

The rationalization by some on this board is indeed baffling. One would be hard pressed to come up with another example in the NFL where a playoff team tanked on one side of the ball in the name of a "rebuild". Right now it has been a teardown. Whether it gets rebuilt, time will tell. But as of now, there is no evidence in favor of McBeane

On 11/6/2018 at 1:02 AM, Dadonkadonk said:

You realize this is year 2 of this regime?  And the team is getting worse not better.  

Tell me how this is any different than Rex?  Rex destroyed a top 5 defense. McD destroyed a top 10 offense.  Rex's team played undisciplined.  McD's team is 3rd highest in penalties and 2nd highest in penalty yards.  Special teams suck despite all the roster spots dedicated to them.  Rex ran an antiquated defense. McD signed a multi-million dollar fullback.  

I'm done with both Beane and McDermott.  

Well I'll take your word for it that they were top 10, they certainly didn't look anything that special.   It had to be almost completely on the legs of McCoy as it sure wasn't because of TT's great play.  So to say he destroyed the offense is a large stretch.  Who did he get rid of on the offensive side that was talked about on an elite or even close to elite level. Please don't say Watkins as he did pretty much nothing.  Neither did Woods or Goodwin while here.  The only player really outstanding besides McCoy was RI and he kind of sealed his own fate.

On 11/6/2018 at 3:27 AM, RosenNOTchosen1 said:

McDumbass has shown he is clueless on the offensive side of the ball. 

It's time to move to on from him and bring in an offensive mind. 

What exactly has McD done to show he's clueless?  The way I see it he's shown very little good or bad as they haven't signed or drafted anyone too much.  You want to fault him for neglecting the offense ok fine, but can't fix everything at once.  If you want to fault him for play calling, execution, that falls more on the OC than him, or at least it should.

3 hours ago, May Day 10 said:

I am kind of worried that they are going to rush to spend that $90 million foolishly (and guaranteed w/bonuses) and also trade up in the draft fearing for their jobs, and digging yet another hole for this franchise.  

Yep. This off-season is setting up as similar of what happened during Buddy's GM tenure.  A 4-12 in 2010 and then 6-10 the following year prompted the spending during the 2012 off-season on Mario Williams and Mark Anderson.  Anyone who's failed to deliver in the first two years probably considers all assets at their disposal, and that would include cap room. 

It used to be some fans praised the late Wilson era teams for saving cap space, but that does nothing.  Then again, using it poorly gets you saddled with bad contracts.  I would hope Beane and his people identify some cost-effective but quality players who'll instantly improve this roster.  That is, if they choose to use UFA and not fall back on the draft expecting that their young players.  The purge they've made these past 2 off-seasons better lead to something. 

On 11/6/2018 at 1:34 AM, atlbillsfan1975 said:

McDermott gets at least one more season. Offense needs to be the focus and I believe it will be. They do stink this year, no doubt about it. I would bring everyone back one more year and see what happens. All coaches on offense even. Look at what the Atlanta offense has been like the last 4 years. 

Under Shannahan the Falcons weren’t very good his first year and then good his second. Under Sarkisian the Falcons weren’t very good his first year and this year they are good again. I believe it may take a little longer for an OC to really learn what all his players are good at. Also when you don’t have a ton of talent yet on that side of the ball, the success is going to be harder and take longer. The easy way is fire and start over. Bills been doing that since Levy . Time to give a guy 3-4 years. 

By that reasoning you better give Daboll two more years. He doesn’t know who will be playing next year, at least not the bulk of the offense. They are either in college or playing elsewhere this year. 

4 hours ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Well I'll take your word for it that they were top 10, they certainly didn't look anything that special.   It had to be almost completely on the legs of McCoy as it sure wasn't because of TT's great play.  So to say he destroyed the offense is a large stretch.  Who did he get rid of on the offensive side that was talked about on an elite or even close to elite level. Please don't say Watkins as he did pretty much nothing.  Neither did Woods or Goodwin while here.  The only player really outstanding besides McCoy was RI and he kind of sealed his own fate.

What exactly has McD done to show he's clueless?  The way I see it he's shown very little good or bad as they haven't signed or drafted anyone too much.  You want to fault him for neglecting the offense ok fine, but can't fix everything at once.  If you want to fault him for play calling, execution, that falls more on the OC than him, or at least it should.

Who hired the OC?

1 minute ago, iinii said:

By that reasoning you better give Daboll two more years. He doesn’t know who will be playing next year, at least not the bulk of the offense. They are either in college or playing elsewhere this year. 

..interestingly and if I read properly reviewing his resume', EVERY OC stop has been a one year deal......how come?....check to see if I am correct though.............

5 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

It hinges on Allen. 

It sure does. If he missed on Allen the way they missed on Peterman, there is going to be a dumpster fire under his coaching seat.

6 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

..interestingly and if I read properly reviewing his resume', EVERY OC stop has been a one year deal......how come?....check to see if I am correct though.............

That is a most excellent question. It appears he did two years as the OC with the Clowns but....maybe he isn’t anything more than a position coach out of position. ??‍♂️

13 minutes ago, iinii said:

It sure does. If he missed on Allen the way they missed on Peterman, there is going to be a dumpster fire under his coaching seat.

That is a most excellent question. It appears he did two years as the OC with the Clowns but....maybe he isn’t anything more than a position coach out of position. ??‍♂️

...thanks bud....just found it interesting he has never been a "keeper"......

On 11/6/2018 at 1:02 AM, Dadonkadonk said:

You realize this is year 2 of this regime?  And the team is getting worse not better.  

Tell me how this is any different than Rex?  Rex destroyed a top 5 defense. McD destroyed a top 10 offense.  Rex's team played undisciplined.  McD's team is 3rd highest in penalties and 2nd highest in penalty yards.  Special teams suck despite all the roster spots dedicated to them.  Rex ran an antiquated defense. McD signed a multi-million dollar fullback.  

I'm done with both Beane and McDermott.  

The point is this was expected.

3 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...thanks bud....just found it interesting he has never been a "keeper"......

Same here. I had looked over his resume but you boiled it down to it’s essence rather succinctly. 

16 minutes ago, rodneykm said:

The point is this was expected.

Maybe by you. Don’t speak for everyone. 

5 hours ago, BillsVet said:

I thought I'd seen everything on this board the past 10+ years, but the idea that this was the plan remains the most unbelievable narrative I've ever observed.  It is amazing how some people can make the stretch that being a statistically top 5 worst offense in the past 40 years (likely worst when factoring in rules, style of play) is beyond the pale.  

My theory is many fans seek to justify even the lowest quality of team because they derive their identity from fan hood.  To criticize the team is to criticize oneself, and that's out of the question for most.  Therefore, the horrible level of play in year 2 of the latest rebuild is understandable.  

The gymnastic movement it requires to arrive at this conclusion is absolutely incredible.  McCoach isn't going to get fired anytime soon, but there's no way he and Beane "planned" to be this bad and headed toward a 2-3 win season in year 2.  Why? Because it only makes year 3 more do or die.  If they went 7-9 this year perhaps I could understand setting up for year 3.  Instead, they'll be even more under pressure to win.  I doubt they anticipated that scenario.  

You are upsetting people. Just buy in. 10 picks bro!!!  10!!!!! 

6 hours ago, May Day 10 said:

I am kind of worried that they are going to rush to spend that $90 million foolishly (and guaranteed w/bonuses) and also trade up in the draft fearing for their jobs, and digging yet another hole for this franchise.  

I really do believe this regime is thinking long term. I expect them to target one maybe two high priced free agents and roll a decent amount of cap space over to the following year.

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, nedboy7 said:

They said we are gonna be the worst team in the NFL? And ruin the QB position?  Right. Nice try.  

Read. Might help you understand. No one said or promised you anything other than we are very early in this rebuild and it's not supposed to be easy. Have patience or don't, it's really irrelevant in either case.

https://www.wkbw.com/sports/bills/at-long-last-the-buffalo-bills-rebuild-is-here

On 11/5/2018 at 11:33 PM, TwistofFate said:

Anytime soon. 

Just finished watching today's press conference, and I can honestly say, this epic failure was not only predicted by this regime, it was expected. 

McDermott gave some telling information today, and I believe the tidbit he dropped is what prompted the Pegulas to hire him. 

McDermott made mentions of his usual jibber jabber, then reminded the media that he has been part of not one, but TWO franchise turn around.  His first coming in 99' with Andy Reid and the Eagles, fresh off a 3 win Ray Rhodes season.  His second coming with Ron Rivera, fresh off a John Fox 2 win season. 

I remember quite well last year, multiple times McDermott warned the media about the product on the field and not to get carried away as there was plenty of work "ahead " of us. 

Let's look at some parallels

1999, the first thing Philly did was draft a Qb in the first round. 

"In 1999, Pederson was caretaker of the quarterback position until rookie first-round pick Donovan McNabb was ready.

The fans wanted McNabb. Andy Reid didn't. And Pederson struggled.

And it was ugly."

"Pederson started the first nine games of the 1999 season, and the Eagles went 2-7 in those games, averaging 11.1 points per game on offense before Pederson was benched in favor of McNabb."

Amazing right?   

Peterman and Pederson, averaging 11.1 points per game. 

The first thing Carolina did was draft a Qb 1st round, Cam Newton. 

"The Panthers opened the 2011 season 2–6, but finished with a 6–10record,[37] and Newton was awarded the AP Offensive Rookie of the Year award"

What is currently happening in Buffalo is eerily similar to both of McDermotts past turn arounds with previous franchises.  

I want to be extremely clear, I in no way believe past experiences are indicative of future results, but find some of these past parallels oddly coincidental.

We all know how it turned out for those franchises, maybe, just maybe, we will finally come out on top. 

In any case, I absolutely believe what is happening here was planned for and expected.   It isn't a "tank" per se, but it was an expected result. 

Eerily similar past parallels? What, that they all drafted QBs at some point?

Edited by NoSaint
  • Haha (+1) 1