McDermott isn't going anywhere....

TwistofFate

Just now, Nihilarian said:

John, 2-7...

The situation this team is currently in was made by this GM/HC. They had more then enough time to upgrade the offensive line, more then enough time to upgrade the QB situation and they went into this season with some bad players...mostly because they didn't have a clue as to just how bad they would be. 

I don't want them picking next years offensive players! 

All part of the plan

Dont like it....find something to do till next year that is what I am doing......a lot of these games I am watching on nfl game pass this year after they have been played.  This team is not winning this year....they do not WANT to win this year.....and we are well on our way to a top 5 pick which is screaming as part of the plan

Its painful....it sucks for fans who hate losing....and it is absolutely necessary at this point.

13 hours ago, TwistofFate said:

Anytime soon. 

Just finished watching today's press conference, and I can honestly say, this epic failure was not only predicted by this regime, it was expected. 

McDermott gave some telling information today, and I believe the tidbit he dropped is what prompted the Pegulas to hire him. 

McDermott made mentions of his usual jibber jabber, then reminded the media that he has been part of not one, but TWO franchise turn around.  His first coming in 99' with Andy Reid and the Eagles, fresh off a 3 win Ray Rhodes season.  His second coming with Ron Rivera, fresh off a John Fox 2 win season. 

I remember quite well last year, multiple times McDermott warned the media about the product on the field and not to get carried away as there was plenty of work "ahead " of us. 

Let's look at some parallels

1999, the first thing Philly did was draft a Qb in the first round. 

"In 1999, Pederson was caretaker of the quarterback position until rookie first-round pick Donovan McNabb was ready.

The fans wanted McNabb. Andy Reid didn't. And Pederson struggled.

And it was ugly."

"Pederson started the first nine games of the 1999 season, and the Eagles went 2-7 in those games, averaging 11.1 points per game on offense before Pederson was benched in favor of McNabb."

Amazing right?   

Peterman and Pederson, averaging 11.1 points per game. 

The first thing Carolina did was draft a Qb 1st round, Cam Newton. 

"The Panthers opened the 2011 season 2–6, but finished with a 6–10record,[37] and Newton was awarded the AP Offensive Rookie of the Year award"

What is currently happening in Buffalo is eerily similar to both of McDermotts past turn arounds with previous franchises.  

I want to be extremely clear, I in no way believe past experiences are indicative of future results, but find some of these past parallels oddly coincidental.

We all know how it turned out for those franchises, maybe, just maybe, we will finally come out on top. 

In any case, I absolutely believe what is happening here was planned for and expected.   It isn't a "tank" per se, but it was an expected result. 

So what did those teams win exactly. Oh Yea nothing. Thats great were following teams paths to nothingness! Lol

4 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Honestly, I don’t blame SM that much.  He is a dime a dozen head coach.  He would be fine in his role.  The problem is he was given way too much power.  The idea of hiring a 1st time head coach before the GM is so completely stupid and I love the Pegulas. 

McD is a very good defensive mind, I think he can build a top 5 defense consistently and I think that's our identity. Nope, we'll never put 50pts on you like the Rams, we would rather hold you to 10pts and beat you by a touchdown. That's the image we're built in, everyone should have known this the second McD was named HC. Just need an offense that can put up 21pts and we can go pretty far.

6 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Sean is a loser (made playoffs in his first year as HC)

but hey.....facts you know its hard

They were probably one of the worst playoff teams ever.  Nothing about how they made the playoffs was repeatable this year.  It also goes how insane the drought was because you just occasionally get lucky. 

I know it’s hard for Bills fans because we support such a loser franchise but it’s ok to judge a team even they make the playoffs.  Last years team wasn’t close to the best of the drought teams.  But the end result can clouded fans’ judgment.

He gets another year but he should be a very hot seat.  There is zero excuse for this unwatchable brand of football.

1 minute ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

They were probably one of the worst playoff teams ever.  Nothing about how they made the playoffs was repeatable this year.  It also goes how insane the drought was because you just occasionally get lucky. 

I know it’s hard for Bills fans because we support such a loser franchise but it’s ok to judge a team even they make the playoffs.  Last years team wasn’t close to the best of the drought teams.  But the end result can clouded fans’ judgment.

He gets another year but he should be a very hot seat.  There is zero excuse for this unwatchable brand of football.

It does not matter....why are ppl trying to quantify how making the playoffs is somehow not a big deal for a first year head coach that jettisoned several of its core players?

5 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

It does not matter....why are ppl trying to quantify how making the playoffs is somehow not a big deal for a first year head coach that jettisoned several of its core players?

Because it was completely, 100% Luck.  Trust me, I used to love bringing up Jauron’s 13-3, coach of the year season in defending him.

this is one of the worst offenses in the history of the nfl in a league where it begs you to score.  SM is on his second OC and has 2 of his hand picked Qbs.  It is a complete disaster.

• Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

All part of the plan

Dont like it....find something to do till next year that is what I am doing......a lot of these games I am watching on nfl game pass this year after they have been played.  This team is not winning this year....they do not WANT to win this year.....and we are well on our way to a top 5 pick which is screaming as part of the plan

Its painful....it sucks for fans who hate losing....and it is absolutely necessary at this point.

There is NO WAY this was planned. Its ineptitude pure and simple. Why tank this season when they already drafted their franchise QB?

Not to mention putting that rookie QB out there behind a bad line with bad coaching, no run game. Drive killing penalties due to lack of discipline. 

If this regime starts Allen again it proves it wasn't planned and they are just too stupid to know any better. Why get that rookie QB injured or perhaps concussed like Anderson. It's almost insane! 

12 minutes ago, NewDayBills said:

McD is a very good defensive mind, I think he can build a top 5 defense consistently and I think that's our identity. Nope, we'll never put 50pts on you like the Rams, we would rather hold you to 10pts and beat you by a touchdown. That's the image we're built in, everyone should have known this the second McD was named HC. Just need an offense that can put up 21pts and we can go pretty far.

Bills DC Leslie Frazier can run the Buffalo Bills defense just fine without McD. This franchise needs an offensive mind at the top. 

It must be great to reduce everyone's standards and expectations to the absolute worst, and it be OK.

if its last season, I'm buying it.  It would be in the best interest to finish low to get the best QB possible in a good QB draft.  Keeping decent veterans was puzzling and kept them from bottoming out, somehow.  And they also got that chubby rock head Kelvin Benjamin

They again kept veterans, and refused to get what they can for McCoy and Hughes.  Now the bottom falls out, I am having trouble seeing what the benefit is/was in finishing with a 2-14 record, while building "culture" by playing in like 20 quarters of garbage time (and even having a player quit/retire during the home opener).

The team is what they are.  And they are the worst Bills team in my memory (1984 to present).  I am not going to accept that they are "intentionally being terrible" so they can have the pick of the litter between Bosa, Oliver, or the other D-Lineman at the top of the draft who won't change anything with this team.

Just the way they got "Caught" with Allen, forced to make him the starter after 1 half is enough to make anyone question this "plan" that we are supposed to have faith in.  Its folly.

Edited by May Day 10
  • Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, CookieG said:

Im not seeing the parallel to the Carolina example.

The Panthers were worst in the NFL in scoring the year before Cam got there. In his rookie year, they finished the year at 5th in scoring.

If you're projecting to next year, I hope so, but there is nothing to indicate a turnaround is coming.

And I'm not sure what McD had to do with either of those O's.

Sigh.

The 2016 team had 46 TD's from the O, with another 3 by the D.

The 2015 team had 42 TD's from the O, with another 3 by the D.

This year's team, in year 2 of some silly "rebuild"  has...8 so far.

They'll have to step up their game to reach 16.

Now, how many years will it take on this rebuild to gat back to scoring between 40 and 45 offensive TD's?

3, 5, 10?

10 years is far too early to judge a GM/HC.

You've got to take into account retirements, climate change, games in London shifting the NFL landscape etc.

I'm not going to judge this regime until 2030 at the earliest. If things are still looking bleak, I'll be right there with you holding a pitchfork!

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Nihilarian said:

Bills DC Leslie Frazier can run the Buffalo Bills defense just fine without McD. This franchise needs an offensive mind at the top. 

Would they keep Frazier though? As I said before, we just need an OK offense and we'll win a lot of games. If Terry wanted a high octane offense why didn't he hire an offensive mind to begin with? We got 10 picks and 90 million cap, in my mind I give McD one more crack at this. If we suck next year and our defense is good, I agree wholeheartedly on keeping Leslie Frazier and the entire defensive staff and hiring an offensive minded HC, but I'd give McD another chance first before I went that route.

1 hour ago, NewDayBills said:

Would they keep Frazier though? As I said before, we just need an OK offense and we'll win a lot of games. If Terry wanted a high octane offense why didn't he hire an offensive mind to begin with? We got 10 picks and 90 million cap, in my mind I give McD one more crack at this. If we suck next year and our defense is good, I agree wholeheartedly on keeping Leslie Frazier and the entire defensive staff and hiring an offensive minded HC, but I'd give McD another chance first before I went that route.

What we fans probably didn't hear about was that the owner probably hired a consulting firm to find the next HC and they recommended McD. They gave that new HC an awful lot of power for a new HC as he picked his coaches and GM.

Right now the NFL is leaning towards hiring offensive minds and what's happening in LA rams, New Orleans, KC, Chicago, Minnesota are just reinforcing that idea with such commanding offenses. 

The thing is McD is a good defensive mind to a point. He is also a new HC and Beane is a new GM. These men don't understand the value of fielding a top offensive line or what happens when you lose two all pro players on that line, clearly. Or what happened this season wouldn't have happened. 

Rex Ryan, OTOH wanted to run his style of defense despite the personnel on the roster so he effectively killed an top 5 defense. What Ryan did do while he was here was find a QB in Tyrod Taylor and brought in a pro bowl LG in Richie Incognito. (Anyone else know how long it's been since this franchise had a pro bowl OG? Ruben Brown ring any bells?) Ryan also chased La"el Collins too.  

McD did the same thing with the Bills offense as he killed that #1 rushing offense that was number one for 2015, 2016 and went to #6 in 2017. This year its 23rd with the same RB. That 2016 offense was a top 10 offense and last year went to 22nd pts, 29th in yards. This year it's 32nd pts, 31st in yards. 

Sorry, but McD deserves to be fired for this mess of a season. Beane should stay as he was probably just doing what McD wanted. 

NOW.Ex Colt HC, ex Arizona HC Bruce Arians has stated he will return to coaching to coach the Cleveland Browns. If I'm Terry Pegula I'd be on the phone to Arians asap to properly develop Josh Allen. Keep the defensive coaching staff and fire the entire offensive side. 

..not sure how I missed this (another damn senior moment)...but isn't this "Wrecks like discipline"?..gotta be a "process thing".....

Mike Rodak ESPN Staff Writer:

The Buffalo Bills on Tuesday released starting cornerback Phillip Gaines, who leads the NFL with 131 penalty yards this season.

Gaines was called twice for defensive pass interference in Sunday's 41-9 loss to the Chicago Bears. In total, the Bills were flagged 10 times for 163 yards -- the most penalty yardage assessed against the team in franchise history.

The Bills' previous high for penalty yards in a game was 159 in a November 1970 loss to the Patriots.

20 hours ago, NewDayBills said:

Semi agreed until I read this. Beane has not been good at all, he is a beta.

You have to realize that McD hired Beane and was probably following what he asked to do by the HC. McD listened to his line coach who told him the line would be fine and he also listened to his OC who told him Peterman would be fine.

Understand that these men have conferences in which they go to great lengths to talk over the roster, sometimes arguing. While Beane is somewhat culpable for the product on the field, he is also under McD on the org chart. At this point the buck should stop with the HC. 

I would keep Beane simply for the way he masterfully was able to obtain Josh Allen in the draft. So many Bills fans wanted the team to give up the farm trade up to that #2 spot with the NY Giants to draft Josh Rosen...the chosen! I think Beane worked some magic and got the best QB, LBer in this years draft. 

Now, someone needs to be held accountable for the Buffalo Bills 2018 offense which could not only set franchise records for being bad as they can set NFL records...they are close. If McD doesn't fires his OC then he needs to go. 

8 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

pretty straightforward.

Pegulas love McD and reorganized the whole franchise according to his philosophy.

he's not leaving.

If you recall they really loved Rex Ryan too. They fired him in his 2nd year after regressing one game from 8-8 to 7-8 with one game left in the season. This bye week is going to be very interesting. 

• Like (+1) 1

I thought I'd seen everything on this board the past 10+ years, but the idea that this was the plan remains the most unbelievable narrative I've ever observed.  It is amazing how some people can make the stretch that being a statistically top 5 worst offense in the past 40 years (likely worst when factoring in rules, style of play) is beyond the pale.  

My theory is many fans seek to justify even the lowest quality of team because they derive their identity from fan hood.  To criticize the team is to criticize oneself, and that's out of the question for most.  Therefore, the horrible level of play in year 2 of the latest rebuild is understandable.  

The gymnastic movement it requires to arrive at this conclusion is absolutely incredible.  McCoach isn't going to get fired anytime soon, but there's no way he and Beane "planned" to be this bad and headed toward a 2-3 win season in year 2.  Why? Because it only makes year 3 more do or die.  If they went 7-9 this year perhaps I could understand setting up for year 3.  Instead, they'll be even more under pressure to win.  I doubt they anticipated that scenario.  

Edited by BillsVet
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 11/6/2018 at 12:33 AM, TwistofFate said:

Anytime soon. 

Just finished watching today's press conference, and I can honestly say, this epic failure was not only predicted by this regime, it was expected. 

McDermott gave some telling information today, and I believe the tidbit he dropped is what prompted the Pegulas to hire him. 

McDermott made mentions of his usual jibber jabber, then reminded the media that he has been part of not one, but TWO franchise turn around.  His first coming in 99' with Andy Reid and the Eagles, fresh off a 3 win Ray Rhodes season.  His second coming with Ron Rivera, fresh off a John Fox 2 win season. 

I remember quite well last year, multiple times McDermott warned the media about the product on the field and not to get carried away as there was plenty of work "ahead " of us. 

Let's look at some parallels

1999, the first thing Philly did was draft a Qb in the first round. 

"In 1999, Pederson was caretaker of the quarterback position until rookie first-round pick Donovan McNabb was ready.

The fans wanted McNabb. Andy Reid didn't. And Pederson struggled.

And it was ugly."

"Pederson started the first nine games of the 1999 season, and the Eagles went 2-7 in those games, averaging 11.1 points per game on offense before Pederson was benched in favor of McNabb."

Amazing right?   

Peterman and Pederson, averaging 11.1 points per game.  

It’s ironic that Eagles fans wanted McNabb to play given how they booed him unmercifully when the Eagles selected him. 

8 minutes ago, BillsVet said:

I thought I'd seen everything on this board the past 10+ years, but the idea that this was the plan remains the most unbelievable narrative I've ever observed.  It is amazing how some people can make the stretch that being a statistically top 5 worst offense in the past 40 years (likely worst when factoring in rules, style of play) is beyond the pale.  

My theory is many fans seek to justify even the lowest quality of team because they derive their identity from fan hood.  To criticize the team is to criticize oneself, and that's out of the question for most.  Therefore, the horrible level of play in year 2 of the latest rebuild is understandable.  

The gymnastic movement it requires to arrive at this conclusion is absolutely incredible.  McCoach isn't going to get fired anytime soon, but there's no way he and Beane "planned" to be this bad and headed toward a 2-3 win season in year 2.  Why? Because it only makes year 3 more do or die.  If they went 7-9 this year perhaps I could understand setting up for year 3.  Instead, they'll be even more under pressure to win.  I doubt they anticipated that scenario.  

I am kind of worried that they are going to rush to spend that $90 million foolishly (and guaranteed w/bonuses) and also trade up in the draft fearing for their jobs, and digging yet another hole for this franchise.  

• Like (+1) 1