McDermott isn't going anywhere....

TwistofFate

1 minute ago, machine gun kelly said:

He’s not going anywhere for 3-4 years.  The Pegulas were informed of the personnel decisions so they knew it would take time to rebuild this team.

It better not take 3-4 years to begin winning.  He and Beane need to show results next season. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Got a riddle for you. When is the #16 offense a top ten offense? And the correct answer is "Um, what?" You're talking about the 2016 offense, presumably, and they were the #16 offense, that's a fact.

If you're referring to the fact that we were the #10 team at scoring, that's correct, but it's NOT a stat that even comes close to isolating the offense. It's a team stat, maybe 60 - 70% offense but with a ton of contribution from the D and the STs. When the Bills offense scores a pick six, the offense hasn't accomplished anything even if scoring goes up seven points. And when the defense intercepts and returns it to the two yard-line and the offense loses 10 yards and kicks an FG, that looks great for people who think that scoring is an offensive stat. But it's not.

That was not a good offense. It was a decent offense, an offense that could run the ball extremely well but was well below-average at passing.They had the 11th-best average drive start, and that's because they had a higher than average number of really good starts. And in turn they left the defense the 23rd best average drive start.

As for how that's different from Rex, there's a vast difference. Rex came in promising he could reload. He was just so daggone terrific that he was going to compete for a title - and soon- with a QB like Tyrod. "Is this thing on? Because it's going to be on." He didn't need no stinking rebuild.

McDermott and Beane on the other hand knew that with the salary cap a shambles and no real QB that they were going to need a rebuild. They didn't promise any different. And while the offense is certainly worse this year at least the defense got a ton better and they brought in a potential franchise QB so that the future has real hope. Rebuilds this complete suck. That's who they are. That's what they do. And being handed a crappy cap situation made things even worse.

Or just draft Mahomes or Watson, and don't rebuild. They were hell bent on getting rid of Whaley players, when the easiest solution was right there for the taking. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

7 hours ago, TwistofFate said:

Anytime soon. 

Just finished watching today's press conference, and I can honestly say, this epic failure was not only predicted by this regime, it was expected. 

McDermott gave some telling information today, and I believe the tidbit he dropped is what prompted the Pegulas to hire him. 

McDermott made mentions of his usual jibber jabber, then reminded the media that he has been part of not one, but TWO franchise turn around.  His first coming in 99' with Andy Reid and the Eagles, fresh off a 3 win Ray Rhodes season.  His second coming with Ron Rivera, fresh off a John Fox 2 win season. 

I remember quite well last year, multiple times McDermott warned the media about the product on the field and not to get carried away as there was plenty of work "ahead " of us. 

Let's look at some parallels

1999, the first thing Philly did was draft a Qb in the first round. 

"In 1999, Pederson was caretaker of the quarterback position until rookie first-round pick Donovan McNabb was ready.

The fans wanted McNabb. Andy Reid didn't. And Pederson struggled.

And it was ugly."

"Pederson started the first nine games of the 1999 season, and the Eagles went 2-7 in those games, averaging 11.1 points per game on offense before Pederson was benched in favor of McNabb."

Amazing right?   

Peterman and Pederson, averaging 11.1 points per game. 

The first thing Carolina did was draft a Qb 1st round, Cam Newton. 

"The Panthers opened the 2011 season 2–6, but finished with a 6–10record,[37] and Newton was awarded the AP Offensive Rookie of the Year award"

What is currently happening in Buffalo is eerily similar to both of McDermotts past turn arounds with previous franchises.  

I want to be extremely clear, I in no way believe past experiences are indicative of future results, but find some of these past parallels oddly coincidental.

We all know how it turned out for those franchises, maybe, just maybe, we will finally come out on top. 

In any case, I absolutely believe what is happening here was planned for and expected.   It isn't a "tank" per se, but it was an expected result. 

Neither one won a Super Bowl. Seems like the same outcome for McDermott

7 hours ago, Dadonkadonk said:

You realize this is year 2 of this regime?  And the team is getting worse not better.  

Tell me how this is any different than Rex?  Rex destroyed a top 5 defense. McD destroyed a top 10 offense.  Rex's team played undisciplined.  McD's team is 3rd highest in penalties and 2nd highest in penalty yards.  Special teams suck despite all the roster spots dedicated to them.  Rex ran an antiquated defense. McD signed a multi-million dollar fullback.  

I'm done with both Beane and McDermott.  

Sorry but Sean is loser and does not get it,  you need to throw the ball in this league to win.  Just the chatter of Beane talking about bringing back a 31 year old Mccoy next season tells me they want to continue to play caveman football

• Haha (+1) 1

9 hours ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

McDermott gets at least one more season. Offense needs to be the focus and I believe it will be. They do stink this year, no doubt about it. I would bring everyone back one more year and see what happens. All coaches on offense even. Look at what the Atlanta offense has been like the last 4 years. 

Under Shannahan the Falcons weren’t very good his first year and then good his second. Under Sarkisian the Falcons weren’t very good his first year and this year they are good again. I believe it may take a little longer for an OC to really learn what all his players are good at. Also when you don’t have a ton of talent yet on that side of the ball, the success is going to be harder and take longer. The easy way is fire and start over. Bills been doing that since Levy . Time to give a guy 3-4 years. 

I'm leaning towards this as well. We have the luxury to build an O around Allen and Daboll . Go all in with that. Also it'd be good for Allen to have that sustainability at OC and just like you mentioned about teams taking a big step forward in year 2 on offense , same with a rookie QB heading to year 2. No pre draft process ,  which is pretty brutal and requires a great amount of time and energy getting ready for the draft .. Allen will be able to strictly focus on his O and develop chemistry , master the playbook, etc...I anticipate all 4 first rders to make a big leap, they're all struggling at the moment. And you even see them regress a bit as teams have more tape on them. 

5 hours ago, fridge said:

I actually found McDermott's unprompted self promotion and reminder of his alleged turn arounds to be uncalled for and an attempt to grasp at legitimacy in the NFL. He also mentioned making the playoffs for the first time 18 years. He came off to me as wildly defensive and feeling to need to prove he belongs. It was annoying, but whatever. He knows. They are playing bad in all phases, they're undisciplined, the roster is a joke, there's no half time adjustments, and yet this is somehow the plan? Give me a break.

It was defensive. 

That's exactly why I said it was very telling.   It was uncharacteristic of him and speaks volumes.  

You can take it as a negative, I do not.   I do not because McD doesn't brag and has no ego.   Even when the team made the playoffs after 20 years.   If it was Marrone, he would have reminded us just like he did about his Green Bay win. 

When people who don't brag and have no ego open up, you should probably listen.   It's valuable insight into what makes them tick. 

McD has taken a lot of heat this year, and it must be frustrating to be attacked week after week because of the results.   

I compare it to having a secret.   You have a secret but you can't tell anyone.  So instead of telling them outright, you drop hints. 

The secret is they blew up the roster and they all expected this.  They just can't say it.  So he hints to his past experiences to explain without coming out directly, this was necessary to move forward. 

One thing I keep thinking about.

If Andy Dalton does not convert that 4th down, would McDermott truly be on the hot seat right now?

If the drought was going to extend to 19 years now and this was happening, i have to believe McDermott would be on the way out

Andy Dalton will have a profound effect on the state of the Bills for the next 5 years.

11 hours ago, TwistofFate said:

The first thing Carolina did was draft a Qb 1st round, Cam Newton. 

"The Panthers opened the 2011 season 2–6, but finished with a 6–10record,[37] and Newton was awarded the AP Offensive Rookie of the Year award"

What is currently happening in Buffalo is eerily similar to both of McDermotts past turn arounds with previous franchises.  

I want to be extremely clear, I in no way believe past experiences are indicative of future results, but find some of these past parallels oddly coincidental.

We all know how it turned out for those franchises, maybe, just maybe, we will finally come out on top. 

In any case, I absolutely believe what is happening here was planned for and expected.   It isn't a "tank" per se, but it was an expected result. 

Im not seeing the parallel to the Carolina example.

The Panthers were worst in the NFL in scoring the year before Cam got there. In his rookie year, they finished the year at 5th in scoring.

If you're projecting to next year, I hope so, but there is nothing to indicate a turnaround is coming.

And I'm not sure what McD had to do with either of those O's.

8 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Got a riddle for you. When is the #16 offense a top ten offense? And the correct answer is "Um, what?" You're talking about the 2016 offense, presumably, and they were the #16 offense, that's a fact.

If you're referring to the fact that we were the #10 team at scoring, that's correct, but it's NOT a stat that even comes close to isolating the offense. It's a team stat, maybe 60 - 70% offense but with a ton of contribution from the D and the STs. When the Bills offense scores a pick six, the offense hasn't accomplished anything even if scoring goes up seven points. And when the defense intercepts and returns it to the two yard-line and the offense loses 10 yards and kicks an FG, that looks great for people who think that scoring is an offensive stat. But it's not.

Sigh.

The 2016 team had 46 TD's from the O, with another 3 by the D.

The 2015 team had 42 TD's from the O, with another 3 by the D.

This year's team, in year 2 of some silly "rebuild"  has...8 so far.

They'll have to step up their game to reach 16.

Now, how many years will it take on this rebuild to gat back to scoring between 40 and 45 offensive TD's?

3, 5, 10?

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, TwistofFate said:

It was defensive. 

That's exactly why I said it was very telling.   It was uncharacteristic of him and speaks volumes.  

You can take it as a negative, I do not.   I do not because McD doesn't brag and has no ego.   Even when the team made the playoffs after 20 years.   If it was Marrone, he would have reminded us just like he did about his Green Bay win. 

When people who don't brag and have no ego open up, you should probably listen.   It's valuable insight into what makes them tick. 

McD has taken a lot of heat this year, and it must be frustrating to be attacked week after week because of the results.   

I compare it to having a secret.   You have a secret but you can't tell anyone.  So instead of telling them outright, you drop hints. 

The secret is they blew up the roster and they all expected this.  They just can't say it.  So he hints to his past experiences to explain without coming out directly, this was necessary to move forward. 

Not sure I agree with your assumption that he has no ego. I also don't think him being defensive at a press conference after yet another blow out loss should be considered revealing a secret or revealing some plan.

Not sure why some are so excited to give these guys the benefit of the doubt. This wasn't this first time we were an "other team pulls off a win away" from the playoffs. It actually just happened last year.

Do you know what happens if Baltimore wins that game? Yes, we miss the playoffs, but do you know what it comes down to? Our tie breaker with the Chargers when he put in Peterman. He really was one play away from being an absolute laghing stock, but sure give him the benefit of the doubt.

1 hour ago, TwistofFate said:

It was defensive. 

You give the Regime waaaaaay too much credit.   This is amateur hour at one Bills Drive.  Both guys are in way over their head.  They know it too.  If MCdipshit really didn't have an ego he wouldn't of ran every talented young guy off this team that dared to question the process.  They are running an offense that has a chance to be the worst offense in the Modern Day History of the NFL.  Think about that for a second.   In today's game where the rules are so tilted in the O's favor & serviceable journeymen QBs are throwing for 300 yards + on a regular basis that is unfathomable.  MCD has been beaten by more then 20 points in 9 out of 25 games now.  In an age of parity, simply mind blowing.  There is noway Pegs signed off on this.  I think you got to give team (*^*&%^$^#next year but I don't know.  Might be better to pull the plug after this year.  Not sure what the answer is.  

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, NewDayBills said:

You don't fire a playoff coach after 2 seasons, you have to be more principled than that. McD earned the right to be here for 3 years, firing him would be highly unreasonable. I like what he did on defense, give him 1 more draft and off-season. Leave feelings out of this, McD is 1-1, one good season, one bad season. Give him another year, it's the right thing to do. I'm not optimistic about it, but the data is inconclusive at this point.

These owners fired Rex Ryan during a 7-8 season... after regressing by one win. This regime has already matched the losses for last year and needs to sweep the rest of the games to match last years record.  ...or will there be more blowouts?

I'll be shocked if this coaching staff remains intact after this season. Shoot, they may not even survive the bye week if the 3-6 Jets blowout the Bills like the 1-5 Colts did. 

4 minutes ago, Nihilarian said:

These owners fired Rex Ryan during a 7-8 season... after regressing by one win. This regime has already matched the losses for last year and needs to sweep the rest of the games to match last years record.  ...or will there be more blowouts?

I'll be shocked if this coaching staff remains intact after this season. Shoot, they may not even survive the bye week if the 3-6 Jets blowout the Bills like the 1-5 Colts did. 

You could be right, I would love to get in Terry's mind and just see what he's thinking, it could happen but I think it'd be a mistake.

5 hours ago, Niagara Dude said:

Sorry but Sean is loser and does not get it,  you need to throw the ball in this league to win.  Just the chatter of Beane talking about bringing back a 31 year old Mccoy next season tells me they want to continue to play caveman football

Sean is a loser (made playoffs in his first year as HC)

but hey.....facts you know its hard

What a lot of fans don't see is this regime has no clue involving offensive talent. This happens with defensive minded head coaches. 

Jauron didn't have a clue about how important the offensive line was until he watched the NY Jets NT Kris Jenkins get triple teamed by both the Bills OGs and the center and he STILL sacked the QB! The Bills O line couldn't stop the guy and it caused Skeletor to forget about having nightmare's about Brady throwing TD passes to Randy Moss to having nightmare's of Jenkins sacking the Bills QB. 

The very next draft he drafted Eric Woods with a 1st round pick and Andy Levitre with a 2nd round pick. 

This FO/coaching staff thought they would be okay after losing Woods, Incognito. They thought Peterman would be a viable starter. :doh:

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Nihilarian said:

Yes and that team Rex had was a very talented team

so........

The fact that this team drastically over achieved last year backing into the playoffs with a miracle Dalton throw sent the fanbase into a very unrealistic expectation position. Last year was supposed to be the tank season of the process. Instead it's this year. So in other words the process will now take 4 years instead of 3. If this organization doesn't draft and sign 90% offense, they will lose this fanbase and their jobs.

7 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Yes and that team Rex had was a very talented team

so........

John, 2-7...

The situation this team is currently in was made by this GM/HC. They had more then enough time to upgrade the offensive line, more then enough time to upgrade the QB situation and they went into this season with some bad players...mostly because they didn't have a clue as to just how bad they would be. 

I don't want them picking next years offensive players! 

Let me just add. This team has a great RB in LeSean McCoy who looks horrid due to bad coaching a 3.1 YPC AVG. Last year with Juan Castillo as line coach/run game coordinator McCoy was at 4.0 YPC AVG. In 2016 under Lynn as RBs coach and Aaron Kromer as line coach McCoy had a 5.4 YPC AVG. 

This offensive coaching staff stinks so bad! If McD refuses to make changes then he deserves to go too. 

Edited by Nihilarian
  • Thank you (+1) 1