McDermott isn't going anywhere....

TwistofFate

Anytime soon. 

Just finished watching today's press conference, and I can honestly say, this epic failure was not only predicted by this regime, it was expected. 

McDermott gave some telling information today, and I believe the tidbit he dropped is what prompted the Pegulas to hire him. 

McDermott made mentions of his usual jibber jabber, then reminded the media that he has been part of not one, but TWO franchise turn around.  His first coming in 99' with Andy Reid and the Eagles, fresh off a 3 win Ray Rhodes season.  His second coming with Ron Rivera, fresh off a John Fox 2 win season. 

I remember quite well last year, multiple times McDermott warned the media about the product on the field and not to get carried away as there was plenty of work "ahead " of us. 

Let's look at some parallels

1999, the first thing Philly did was draft a Qb in the first round. 

"In 1999, Pederson was caretaker of the quarterback position until rookie first-round pick Donovan McNabb was ready.

The fans wanted McNabb. Andy Reid didn't. And Pederson struggled.

And it was ugly."

"Pederson started the first nine games of the 1999 season, and the Eagles went 2-7 in those games, averaging 11.1 points per game on offense before Pederson was benched in favor of McNabb."

Amazing right?   

Peterman and Pederson, averaging 11.1 points per game. 

The first thing Carolina did was draft a Qb 1st round, Cam Newton. 

"The Panthers opened the 2011 season 2–6, but finished with a 6–10record,[37] and Newton was awarded the AP Offensive Rookie of the Year award"

What is currently happening in Buffalo is eerily similar to both of McDermotts past turn arounds with previous franchises.  

I want to be extremely clear, I in no way believe past experiences are indicative of future results, but find some of these past parallels oddly coincidental.

We all know how it turned out for those franchises, maybe, just maybe, we will finally come out on top. 

In any case, I absolutely believe what is happening here was planned for and expected.   It isn't a "tank" per se, but it was an expected result. 

• Like (+1) 4

You realize this is year 2 of this regime?  And the team is getting worse not better.  

Tell me how this is any different than Rex?  Rex destroyed a top 5 defense. McD destroyed a top 10 offense.  Rex's team played undisciplined.  McD's team is 3rd highest in penalties and 2nd highest in penalty yards.  Special teams suck despite all the roster spots dedicated to them.  Rex ran an antiquated defense. McD signed a multi-million dollar fullback.  

I'm done with both Beane and McDermott.  

• Like (+1) 6
  • Haha (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Dadonkadonk said:

You realize this is year 2 of this regime?  And the team is getting worse not better.  

Tell me how this is any different than Rex?  Rex destroyed a top 5 defense. McD destroyed a top 10 offense.  Rex's team played undisciplined.  McD's team is 3rd highest in penalties and 2nd highest in penalty yards.  Special teams suck despite all the roster spots dedicated to them.  Rex ran an antiquated defense. McD signed a multi-million dollar fullback.  

The penalties! Thank u for also mentioning it. Week 9 and penalties are still out of control. Talent level on offense is bad? Okay I get that; it certainly can’t be fixed midseason to any significant degree. But the penalties (which were also a problem under Rex) are mostly about discipline and that is definitely on the coaches.

• Thank you (+1) 2

Interesting take by both posters......as bad as it has been - an OH YEAH it has been bad.....it will proally get a bit worse....."supposedly"  the easy part of the Bills sched is coming up.....dunno which one of the absolute MENSA candidates on this board whom I saw post that but it is what it is.  If they win 2 more games this season I will be SHOCKED.

Frankly next year is gonna sux the big ole bag too......just be prepared.......go rake the leaves, shovel the snow or whatever.  They are gonna sux and there ain't a gol dang thing we can do about it.....

• Like (+1) 1

I agree.  I dont see McD going anywhere.  I know people dont want to hear it but McD took this team to the playoffs in his first year for the first time in 20 years...I think that was a huge deal to ownership and I believe they will be patient.  That's just my opinion I could be wrong but i think ownership will give McD time.  But we need to see significant improvement next year.

Of course I know it's year two.   Last years draft was NOT this regimes draft.   Doug Whaley and HIS scouting department put the board together. 

McDermott surely had some input, but that board was mainly assembled by Whaley and his staff. 

This draft belongs to this regime.   They own the personnel moves on the draft board. 

They played out the season with last years roster because they had to.  They evaluated, then cut and traded anyone they didn't like, was over paid, or under performed. 

This is different than Rex for a multitude of reasons.   For starters the GM and HC are on the same page and aren't sabotaging one another. 

Secondly, after today's press conference I am 100% convinced this "process," the "vision," winning now "and in the future," aren't just slogans. 

McD is heavily leaning on his past experiences through TWO rebuilds, to build a solid ground up foundation that debt free and packed with young, fresh, cheap, coachable talent. 

One must believe this process was sold to ownership and these results were absolutely expected. 

McDermott doesn't usually give much in his press conferences, but when he does open up, it's very telling. 

Everyone at one Bills drive expected this except the players and vast majority of the fan base. 

• Like (+1) 2

You don't fire a playoff coach after 2 seasons, you have to be more principled than that. McD earned the right to be here for 3 years, firing him would be highly unreasonable. I like what he did on defense, give him 1 more draft and off-season. Leave feelings out of this, McD is 1-1, one good season, one bad season. Give him another year, it's the right thing to do. I'm not optimistic about it, but the data is inconclusive at this point.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, TwistofFate said:

Anytime soon. 

Just finished watching today's press conference, and I can honestly say, this epic failure was not only predicted by this regime, it was expected. 

McDermott gave some telling information today, and I believe the tidbit he dropped is what prompted the Pegulas to hire him. 

McDermott made mentions of his usual jibber jabber, then reminded the media that he has been part of not one, but TWO franchise turn around.  His first coming in 99' with Andy Reid and the Eagles, fresh off a 3 win Ray Rhodes season.  His second coming with Ron Rivera, fresh off a John Fox 2 win season. 

I remember quite well last year, multiple times McDermott warned the media about the product on the field and not to get carried away as there was plenty of work "ahead " of us. 

Let's look at some parallels

1999, the first thing Philly did was draft a Qb in the first round. 

"In 1999, Pederson was caretaker of the quarterback position until rookie first-round pick Donovan McNabb was ready.

The fans wanted McNabb. Andy Reid didn't. And Pederson struggled.

And it was ugly."

"Pederson started the first nine games of the 1999 season, and the Eagles went 2-7 in those games, averaging 11.1 points per game on offense before Pederson was benched in favor of McNabb."

Amazing right?   

Peterman and Pederson, averaging 11.1 points per game. 

The first thing Carolina did was draft a Qb 1st round, Cam Newton. 

"The Panthers opened the 2011 season 2–6, but finished with a 6–10record,[37] and Newton was awarded the AP Offensive Rookie of the Year award"

What is currently happening in Buffalo is eerily similar to both of McDermotts past turn arounds with previous franchises.  

I want to be extremely clear, I in no way believe past experiences are indicative of future results, but find some of these past parallels oddly coincidental.

We all know how it turned out for those franchises, maybe, just maybe, we will finally come out on top. 

In any case, I absolutely believe what is happening here was planned for and expected.   It isn't a "tank" per se, but it was an expected result. 

Exactly. I completely agree , they had a vision for long term , sustainable success and sacrificed this year (and last) to accomplish it. When you have the most dead money by 15$ million compared to the next team, you expect to struggle. The great news is they have their foundation in place, great defensive core , they got their QB and will have a ton of flexibility in FA , with a ton of cap space and likely a top 5 pick! 

Hang tough Bills Mafia, we'll be legit contenders next year and years to come. I'm a big McD and Beane fan , trust the process , we'll be grateful for this brutal year in the long run. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

McDermott gets at least one more season. Offense needs to be the focus and I believe it will be. They do stink this year, no doubt about it. I would bring everyone back one more year and see what happens. All coaches on offense even. Look at what the Atlanta offense has been like the last 4 years. 

Under Shannahan the Falcons weren’t very good his first year and then good his second. Under Sarkisian the Falcons weren’t very good his first year and this year they are good again. I believe it may take a little longer for an OC to really learn what all his players are good at. Also when you don’t have a ton of talent yet on that side of the ball, the success is going to be harder and take longer. The easy way is fire and start over. Bills been doing that since Levy . Time to give a guy 3-4 years. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, NewDayBills said:

You don't fire a playoff coach after 2 seasons, you have to be more principled than that. McD earned the right to be here for 3 years, firing him would be highly unreasonable. I like what he did on defense, give him 1 more draft and off-season. Leave feelings out of this, McD is 1-1, one good season, one bad season. Give him another year, it's the right thing to do. I'm not optimistic about it, but the data is inconclusive at this point.

McDumbass has shown he is clueless on the offensive side of the ball. 

It's time to move to on from him and bring in an offensive mind. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Dadonkadonk said:

Got a riddle for you. When is the #16 offense a top ten offense? And the correct answer is "Um, what?" You're talking about the 2016 offense, presumably, and they were the #16 offense, that's a fact.

If you're referring to the fact that we were the #10 team at scoring, that's correct, but it's NOT a stat that even comes close to isolating the offense. It's a team stat, maybe 60 - 70% offense but with a ton of contribution from the D and the STs. When the Bills offense scores a pick six, the offense hasn't accomplished anything even if scoring goes up seven points. And when the defense intercepts and returns it to the two yard-line and the offense loses 10 yards and kicks an FG, that looks great for people who think that scoring is an offensive stat. But it's not.

That was not a good offense. It was a decent offense, an offense that could run the ball extremely well but was well below-average at passing.They had the 11th-best average drive start, and that's because they had a higher than average number of really good starts. And in turn they left the defense the 23rd best average drive start.

As for how that's different from Rex, there's a vast difference. Rex came in promising he could reload. He was just so daggone terrific that he was going to compete for a title - and soon- with a QB like Tyrod. "Is this thing on? Because it's going to be on." He didn't need no stinking rebuild.

McDermott and Beane on the other hand knew that with the salary cap a shambles and no real QB that they were going to need a rebuild. They didn't promise any different. And while the offense is certainly worse this year at least the defense got a ton better and they brought in a potential franchise QB so that the future has real hope. Rebuilds this complete suck. That's who they are. That's what they do. And being handed a crappy cap situation made things even worse.

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, RosenNOTchosen1 said:

McDumbass has shown he is clueless on the offensive side of the ball. 

It's time to move to on from him and bring in an offensive mind. 

Who's to say that our offense can't become halfway decent? We have 10 picks and a ton of cap space to play around with. I think firing McD right away is immature and premature. One more year. He earned it.

5 minutes ago, NewDayBills said:

Who's to say that our offense can't become halfway decent? We have 10 picks and a ton of cap space to play around with. I think firing McD right away is immature and premature. One more year. He earned it.

Not even sure he earned it.  Pegs and he agreed to expect it.  This is a process.   Clear out the cap, get the draft picks back that Whaley let go of, etc.  This team is being built in the draft and that takes 3-4 years.   yeah they backed into a playoff spot last year with Cogs and Wood and Tyrod, etc.  but that could not last.   I personally think its great that Allen had to sit for a few games while the brutal part of the schedule flushed through the system.  Get him 4-5 more starts this year and that will be great.  Remember this is just one big long preseason of talent e v a l.  This offseason is where the real work starts.  Get another 10-12 under -25 talented guys in here on 3 to 5 year contracts.   Then you have a roster set for 3 years.  and you have your QB.   Trust the Process.  

16 minutes ago, ProcessTruster said:

Not even sure he earned it.  Pegs and he agreed to expect it.  This is a process.   Clear out the cap, get the draft picks back that Whaley let go of, etc.  This team is being built in the draft and that takes 3-4 years.   yeah they backed into a playoff spot last year with Cogs and Wood and Tyrod, etc.  but that could not last.   I personally think its great that Allen had to sit for a few games while the brutal part of the schedule flushed through the system.  Get him 4-5 more starts this year and that will be great.  Remember this is just one big long preseason of talent e v a l.  This offseason is where the real work starts.  Get another 10-12 under -25 talented guys in here on 3 to 5 year contracts.   Then you have a roster set for 3 years.  and you have your QB.   Trust the Process.  

I don't trust the process, not one bit, but that doesn't mean I'm 100% sure McD will fail, I don't know. I know it doesn't look good but here's what gives me a sliver of hope, our defense is going to be really good, to the point where I think Edmunds and White are going to be amongst the best at their positions, like top 10 defense for the foreseeable future kind of good. If we can just get a top 16-20 offense we can win a lot of games. I think that's doable. We will never be a high octane offense under McDermott though but we don't need to be. We just need to be okay on offense and we'll go far.

I actually found McDermott's unprompted self promotion and reminder of his alleged turn arounds to be uncalled for and an attempt to grasp at legitimacy in the NFL. He also mentioned making the playoffs for the first time 18 years. He came off to me as wildly defensive and feeling to need to prove he belongs. It was annoying, but whatever. He knows. They are playing bad in all phases, they're undisciplined, the roster is a joke, there's no half time adjustments, and yet this is somehow the plan? Give me a break.