McD - we do have wins, although they are not always on the scoreboard. Saw some Bills style football yesterday

Reed83HOF

3 hours ago, MRM33064 said:

Not really.   I'd like some indicia that he has a clue about the modern NFL.   Do you think he's well-versed in analytics? (He knows them well, but just ignores them?)  He makes horrific tactical decisions - not the least of which was not even understanding that a tie was just as bad as a loss in last year's Colts game.

He talks about weather in Buffalo.  "Blue Collar" Buffalo.   The king of empty cliche.

McD seems like a very nice man.  A good DC, in a league that increasingly devalues defense.  Perhaps he is simply a brilliant strategic who continues to hide his brilliance from the league for long-term gain.

McDermott doesn't run the offense. He is not the offensive coordinator. He is a defensive coach. His stake in the offense is finding the right person to hire to run it.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, MJS said:

McDermott doesn't run the offense. He is not the offensive coordinator. He is a defensive coach. His stake in the offense is finding the right person to hire to run it.

Quality head coaches understand both sides of the ball and have input everywhere. What you just said just further iterates that he should be a defensive coordinator, not a head coach. 

And even if you're OK with his only duty for the offensive side of the ball is finding the right person to run it...he's 0-2. 

• Thank you (+1) 3

8 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

If you listen to him speak, McDermott will tell you, very clearly, that he is 100% an old school football guy.  Rex Ryan was the same.  Those guys are all the same.  The league left them behind a long time ago.

The people who are winning now, and who are going to do the winning in the future, are playing a different sport to the one McDermott thinks he knows something about.

"Control the line of scrimmage!  Tough physical football!  Establish the run game!"

:lol:

This is true and this is what you get:

https://twitter.com/BradleyGelber/status/1059617590258085889

This is where the rest of the league is:

Edited by Reed83HOF
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, HomeskillitMoorman said:

Quality head coaches understand both sides of the ball and have input everywhere. What you just said just further iterates that he should be a defensive coordinator, not a head coach. 

And even if you're OK with his only duty for the offensive side of the ball is finding the right person to run it...he's 0-2. 

And that’s another problem in itself. He is stuck with his OC. He can’t fire him and get a quality OC because he will be on the hot seat next year, any OC won’t take the risk of being dismissed after one year. 

8 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

If you listen to him speak, McDermott will tell you, very clearly, that he is 100% an old school football guy.  Rex Ryan was the same.  Those guys are all the same.  The league left them behind a long time ago.

The people who are winning now, and who are going to do the winning in the future, are playing a different sport to the one McDermott thinks he knows something about.

"Control the line of scrimmage!  Tough physical football!  Establish the run game!"

:lol:

You want to do that you need the personnel for it  We have a scatback who free lances and trash O line with soft as cheese te's an wrs that dont block  You want to run go sign/draft some maulers on O line  Go get a 280 lb TE with anger issues.  Run Ivory not McCoy  At least he will hit the line hole or not

• Like (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, twoandfourteen said:

I'm sure that has absolutely NOTHING to do with the fact that the Bears fired their old-school "defensive-minded" head coach and then hired a bright, young, innovative offensive-minded coach. 

Thank you for making yet another very strong case for firing McDermott ASAP.  I appreciate it. 

I wish I could give this post 2 trophies. 

They fired a bad coach, not a defensive coach.  This stupid notion that you cant coach if you come from defensive side is beyond stupid.  Go ask the Pats what they think of your thoughts.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, HomeskillitMoorman said:

That's a good principle, but that's not really what happens. Guys have an expertise in a certain background and then try to find experts to run the other side.

A head coach will provide overall direction and leadership for the team, but if a coach does not have a background on one side, he will not be intricately involved in the play calling and logistics of that side of the ball. How and why would he?

But yes, ultimately he is responsible for either side failing. But the answer isn't for McDermott to start learning how to call plays on offense and develop logistics, it is to find someone who already is an expert (an innovative offensive coordinator).

If McDermott does not find an offensive coordinator, he'll be fired eventually. But the failings on offense fall directly on the current players first, the offensive coordinator second, and only indirectly on the shoulders of McDermott (in my opinion).

Just now, Alphadawg7 said:

They fired a bad coach, not a defensive coach.  This stupid notion that you cant coach if you come from defensive side is beyond stupid.  Go ask the Pats what they think of your thoughts.

I was enjoying you trolling everyone, now I worry that you actually believe everything what you are posting.

• Like (+1) 2

33 minutes ago, billsfan11 said:

All true Alpha. But in regards to your example with Trubisky, Chicago fired John Fox and brought in an offensive head coach that brought talent with him.

I think that’s precisely what a lot of fans here want. (Even me to a certain degree) To try and replicate the path the Bears went.

Here is the thing thought:  People need to stop comparing McD to Fox or Fisher.  They got fired for being bad HC's.  Fisher has the most losses in NFL history for instance.  

There is fairy tale going on amongst this board that suddenly feels this false narrative that a HC with defensive backgrounds cant be good NFL HC's...all the while Belicheck has dominated the NFL and this division for almost 20 years as a defensive minded HC.  

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Alphadawg7 said:

Here is the thing thought:  People need to stop comparing McD to Fox or Fisher.  They got fired for being bad HC's.  Fisher has the most losses in NFL history for instance.  

There is fairy tale going on amongst this board that suddenly feels this false narrative that a HC with defensive backgrounds cant be good NFL HC's...all the while Belicheck has dominated the NFL and this division for almost 20 years as a defensive minded HC.  

And a guy named Brady.

3 minutes ago, Commsvet11 said:

And a guy named Brady.

Who was drafted while BB was there.  And he was just ONE obvious Defensive minded HC, there are tons who have been successful and great coaches.  Besides, he still won 11 games with Cassel. 

And McD has had Tyrod, a raw rookie, and now bandaids with people hurt.  

Edited by Alphadawg7

1 minute ago, Alphadawg7 said:

That's not what's going around at all.

What's going around is that this is now an offense-driven game and teams with an innovative offensive minded coach are likely to be the most competitive, or maybe even enjoy an advantage going forward.

But the Bills have a defensive minded HC who has already shown to my satisfaction that he has no understanding of the offensive side of the ball whatsoever.  

McD is "3 yards and a cloud of dust" guy.  That's not going to work in today's game. 

• Like (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Go read my man Reed83HOF's post from a few minutes ago. BB just happens to be a defensive coach who realized how stupid it was to prioritize defense and the running game over a decade ago. He evolved and dictated where the league was going to go. It helped that he also had the best QB to ever play the game, too. But he didn't have Tommy hand off 30 times a game to "establish the line of scrimmage" -- he unleashed an innovative nuclear passing attack on the league. 

Pretty much aligns exactly with what I'm saying. 

You are really not very good at this.

6 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

How many 20+ point blowout losses does McD have so far?

You are really, really not very good at this. 

Edited by twoandfourteen
  • Like (+1) 2

Just now, Fadingpain said:

That's not what's going around at all.

What's going around is that this is now an offense-driven game and teams with an innovative offensive minded coach are likely to be the most competitive, or maybe even enjoy an advantage going forward.

But the Bills have a defensive minded HC who has already shown to my satisfaction that he has no understanding of the offensive side of the ball whatsoever.  

McD is "3 yards and a cloud of dust" guy.  That's not going to work in today's game. 

So how did that fired HC John Fox field an offense that broke all NFL passing records and won the SB?  I mean how is this possible?  You guys say you cant field a high powered offense if you are a defensive HC.  How did Brady set the records that those Broncos broke?  How can it be?  No way this is possible, BB is also a defensive HC.

Hmmmm....maybe it doesn't matter.  Maybe what matters MORE is having the right personnel on the field to EXECUTE a high powered offense?  Nah, cant be that simple right...

• Thank you (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I agree with your larger point here, but starting out as coaches in the NFL on the D side of the ball is where the similarities between Belichick and everyone else ends. Hes not just a “defensive minded coach”, he is a total master of the game of football, in all phases, in all game situations. He’s a football savant if there is such a thing. I mean, he was breaking down game films for his dad at the Naval academy when he was 9 years old for crissakes.