Midterm Election Gameday Thread

8 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

Someone reply "Careful, you'll put an eye out with that."  I dare you.

I do not find those types of jokes funny. At all. As someone who did lose my sight (and thankfully had a surgeon who was able to restore it), I find jokes about blindness to be in very poor taste.  Put a blindfold on for a few days and see what life is like without your sight. And then come back and report how "hilarious" that was. 

1 minute ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

I do not find those types of jokes funny. At all. As someone who did lose my sight (and thankfully had a surgeon who was able to restore it), I find jokes about blindness to be in very poor taste.  Put a blindfold on for a few days and see what life is like without your sight. And then come back and report how "hilarious" that was. 

all (good) humor is based in truth. if ya can't laugh at yerself......

6 minutes ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

You know I'm going to have to intentionally make blind jokes now right?

Damn it.

Edit:. Wait. If I'm blind how do I find a blindfold?  Better yet, why is it a folded blind?  If you're blind isn't it just go put on my fold?

Edited by Boyst62

3 minutes ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

Again, put on a blindfold for a few days and see how "funny" being blind really is. 

i am sincerely sorry for what happened to you. the fact that you are not yet able to laugh at what happened to you probably is proof that you are still in  a stage of grief/fear/shock.

2 minutes ago, Boyst62 said:

You know I'm going to have to intentionally make blind jokes now right?

Damn it.

Edit:. Wait. If I'm blind how do I find a blindfold?  Better yet, why is it a folded blind?  If you're blind isn't it just go put on my fold?

I expect no less from a few of the people in this sub-forum.   

Because after all, there is nothing "funnier" than never being able to see your loved ones, never being able to witness the first steps of your child, see your children graduate or walk down the aisle to get married. To never see a clear blue sky, the green, green grass, or the beauty of a snowfall. It is "hilarious" to live in fear of not being able to see obstacles in your path,  not have the freedom to drive a car, and constantly worry if you can trust people enough to not hurt you when you cannot see the expressions on their face. 

Yup, nothing says "all in good fun" like blind jokes from people who can see. 

4 minutes ago, Foxx said:

i am sincerely sorry for what happened to you. the fact that you are not yet able to laugh at what happened to you probably is proof that you are still in  a stage of grief/fear/shock.

If I laughed about it, that would be one thing... but honestly? No, I have never found one single thing funny about being unable to see.  And I thank goodness for my surgeon every single day for his ability to restore my sight. 

7 minutes ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

Because after all, there is nothing "funnier" than never being able to see your loved ones, never being able to witness the first steps of your child, see your children graduate or walk down the aisle to get married. To never see a clear blue sky, the green, green grass, or the beauty of a snowfall. It is "hilarious" to live in fear of not being able to see obstacles in your path,  not have the freedom to drive a car, and constantly worry if you can trust people enough to not hurt you when you cannot see the expressions on their face. 

If I laughed about it, that would be one thing... but honestly? No, I have never found one single thing funny about being unable to see.  And I thank goodness for my surgeon every single day for his ability to restore my sight. 

My dad was knocked blind by a hose. The spigot had a crack and boom. Water detached a retina.

My Gramps had it lost when he was sick as a kid and almost blind in the other.

The difference between me and a few others is I'm just a flat out a joker but I am equal opportunity.  

18 minutes ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

Sincerity is mostly absent here, as you know, and the moment you express it, expect mockery and not sympathy. It’s the sickness of the Internet anonymity, and this board apecifically, and I’ve got it too so I’m not on a higher horse than anyone.  

I’m sorry you went through this and it sounds terrifying. Thank you for sharing why this would upset you. 

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

... If I laughed about it, that would be one thing... but honestly? No, I have never found one single thing funny about being unable to see.  And I thank goodness for my surgeon every single day for his ability to restore my sight. 

i do not mean to argue nor upset you over this. i truly sense that is deeply ingrained, i am only trying to enlighten and give a different perspective so that it may help you with where you are. as such this will be my last post on the matter.

Stevie Wonder often joked about his blindness and he was a man who was blind all his life so i think he has a good perspective upon it. one that he was able to accept and understand that, sometimes, if you don't laugh at it, it will tear you asunder.

i don't intend any malice with my postings here.

In 2016 Stevie Wonder cracks blind jokes at the Grammies

...Stevie Wonder stole the show last night as he made a joke about being blind while presenting the award for Song of the Year at the Grammys.

He made the quip after opening the envelope for the award, revealing that the words were written in braille.

Wonder said: 'So I'm gonna break this open. I'm gonna pop it open you know...

'So ahah ! Y'all can't read this right? You can't read braille! 'Ha ha ! You can't read this, you can't read this !

'You can't read braille, nananana!'

And while the room exploded into laughter, he followed the quip with a serious message: 'We need to make every single thing accessible to every person with a disability.'

The internet immediately blew up, with people taking to social media to congratulate the singer on making light of his disability. ...

Andra Day on Stevie

...“What I didn’t expect about working with Stevie was that he makes so many jokes about being blind,” continues the 30-year-old. “At the end of a session, he’ll say, ‘OK, see you guys later, so I’m just gonna get in my car and drive home.’  ...

Edited by Foxx

37 minutes ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

What does Crenshaw think?

42 minutes ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

Again, put on a blindfold for a few days and see how "funny" being blind really is. 

I genuinely can't imagine what it must be like to be blind. It has to be scary.

Yet somehow, Tibs and Peace and Coach and Greggy still manage to find their keyboards and post here, and they're blind as schitt.

• Like (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

If we take your sentiments here, and extrapolate, then every joke is in bad taste and should not be made.

I don't find this to be a reasonable position.  Comedy is found in tragedy and the absurdity of life.

I deeply understand that this is extremely personal to you, but that doesn't make you correct.  It may not be funny to you, but that doesn't mean it's not funny to others; just as you might find humor in jokes which they may not for personal reasons.  At the same time others whom may have faced blindness may in fact find them funny, indicating that your experience doesn't lend you voice to speak for everyone in that sub-group.

Finally, I don't think it's a good look to admonish or shame others for making jokes.  No one made the joke at your expense, it wasn't personalized, and you weren't being bullied.  No one was even aware of your history in this regard until your brought it out after the fact.

Your reaction was no different than that of Social Justice Warriors shouting down comedians or speakers on campuses.  I generally enjoy the content you create here, as we've discussed in the past, but not in this case.

6 minutes ago, TakeYouToTasker said:

If we take your sentiments here, and extrapolate, then every joke is in bad taste and should not be made.

I don't find this to be a reasonable position.  Comedy is found in tragedy and the absurdity of life.

I deeply understand that this is extremely personal to you, but that doesn't make you correct.  It may not be funny to you, but that doesn't mean it's not funny to others; just as you might find humor in jokes which they may not for personal reasons.  At the same time others whom may have faced blindness may in fact find them funny, indicating that your experience doesn't lend you voice to speak for everyone in that sub-group.

Finally, I don't think it's a good look to admonish or shame others for making jokes.  No one made the joke at your expense, it wasn't personalized, and you weren't being bullied.  No one was even aware of your history in this regard until your brought it out after the fact.

Your reaction was no different than that of Social Justice Warriors shouting down comedians or speakers on campuses.  I generally enjoy the content you create here, as we've discussed in the past, but not in this case.

I know it is a stance too PC for some... to find no humor in disparaging the weak(er).  I find no humor in tragedy, only sorrow. 

I know it is a stance too PC for some... to find no humor in disparaging the weak(er).  I find no humor in tragedy, only sorrow. 

So if someone on a football message board was discussing a player he didn't like, and, oh, let's say he wished that player suffered a spinal injury, you wouldn't find that funny, right?

I find it vile, but I'm just checking.

20 minutes ago, LABillzFan said:

I genuinely can't imagine what it must be like to be blind. It has to be scary.

Yet somehow, Tibs and Peace and Coach and Greggy still manage to find their keyboards and post here, and they're blind as schitt.

I think Peace is gone. His name is now Adios Folks. 

I saw him growing disgusted here last week and reached out but I don’t think he could stomach it any more. I sympathize. 

No one was disparaged, no one was bullied.

Comedy and tragedy are two sides of the same coin.  All humor comes from human frailty, and every one of us is frail in some way or another. 

You are taking very personally something that was not intended that way, and yes, it is far too politically correct.  The only person who made anything personal in the exchange was you, when you denigrated someone else's character over something benign.

Again, you're entitled to your feelings, but your experiences don't make you correct.