A Few Thoughts about the Bears Game, in no particular order

Virgil

Just now, Shaw66 said:

You know, a top running QB, a Taylor or Wilson, might actually have scored on that play. 

However, you're right.  Talk about do your job!   Peterman has the most clearly confined job on that play - get out of the pocket, load it up and fire the ball downfield.   That's option 1, 2 and 3 on that play, and there was NOTHING to stop him from throwing it.   That is simply not doing the job - one more evidence of coaching failure.  

Coaching?  No way. That's 100% on him as the QB.  It was his 2nd chance at a Hail Mary after being sacked the 1st time with a reprieve due to a Bears 15 yard penalty.  Inexcusable to have that little situational awareness. 

10 carries.

Don't know if it's the offense, lack of players around him, ribs haven't healed, age, off field distraction or a combination of all...but those 10 carries combined with his performance Monday night lead me to believe that McCoy just isn't "Shady" anymore. If he truly is a huge part of the plan for 2019 and he doesn't rebound this iffense is in trouble next year as well.

1 minute ago, No Place To Hyde said:

10 carries.

Don't know if it's the offense, lack of players around him, ribs haven't healed, age, off field distraction or a combination of all...but those 10 carries combined with his performance Monday night lead me to believe that McCoy just isn't "Shady" anymore. If he truly is a huge part of the plan for 2019 and he doesn't rebound this iffense is in trouble next year as well.

If he is going to be around...I hope it is not as the feature back.  I DO think he is still a very good back, but he is starting to get to the point where he will soon be better as a 'change of pace back' rather than a 'feature back'.

• Like (+1) 1

I have been less and less impressed with Dawkins since he started last year.   He gets bull rushed way too easily and then he gets beat with speed just as easily.    I hope we draft a LT and move him inside.   He doesn't have the speed or power to anchor against really good pass rushers.   The Bears #99 worked him all game long.   and we get no push in the run game.   

I think our Oline is awful, and i haven't seen anything to change my mind since week 1.  

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Good work, but there's a glaring omission in paragraph #1 which is the lack of mention of Peterman eschewing the Hail Mary throw into the end zone from the Bears 37 yards line only to run downfield and eventually out of bounds to end the 1st half.   :bag:

I think he must have been concerned with ball security...

36 minutes ago, Virgil said:

3rd worst?  Is that real?  Wow. I had no idea.  That’s honestly as scary to me as our offensive performance.  

Seriously.  That’s on McDermott and not very process 

edit - yup. That’s true. We went from being in the top 10 last year to bottom 3.  That’s alarming 

Even worse, and (to me) a sign of bad coaching is the number of pre-snap penalties.  If I see one more play negated by a freaking illegal formation I'm going to throw something.

• Like (+1) 1

Well said.

1- Peterman is one of two things that has me worried about McBeane.  Another QB should’ve been added the second they traded Aj. It’s their biggest mistake this year imo. We

didnt have enough money to fix the offense so I don’t really blame them for not fixing it.

the other thing that worries me is his choice in coaches.  Castillo being my #1 hatred.  He needs to be fired before next season.  Daboll, wow was I wrong about him.  Or maybe he sucks because Castillo and the OL sucks and our WRs can’t get open?  That hurts him, but the playcalls have been brutal minus the Vikings game imo.  

• Like (+1) 1

Good post, always a good read!

30 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Well said.

1- Peterman is one of two things that has me worried about McBeane.  Another QB should’ve been added the second they traded Aj. It’s their biggest mistake this year imo. We

didnt have enough money to fix the offense so I don’t really blame them for not fixing it.

the other thing that worries me is his choice in coaches.  Castillo being my #1 hatred.  He needs to be fired before next season.  Daboll, wow was I wrong about him.  Or maybe he sucks because Castillo and the OL sucks and our WRs can’t get open?  That hurts him, but the playcalls have been brutal minus the Vikings game imo.  

Kind of concerned about Daboll, I expected greater things!

10 minutes ago, vorpma said:

Good post, always a good read!

Kind of concerned about Daboll, I expected greater things!

Not being a dick, but why?  I never understood why people thought he was a good hire.  Has he ever been successful as an offensive coordinator?  

1 hour ago, BillsEnthusiast said:

I believe that Allen doesn't hesitate to throw that. 

Allen also isn’t getting mocked in the media for having more INT in 95 throws than Rogers in 600 snaps. He also isn’t being called “the worst QB in NFL history” or “has no business being on an NFL Roster”. Those effect anyone and well he is trying to improve by not making the mistake.  The sad fact is now who cares chuck the ball around see if you can make a play or draw a PI. 

6 minutes ago, PatsFanNH said:

Allen also isn’t getting mocked in the media for having more INT in 95 throws than Rogers in 600 snaps. He also isn’t being called “the worst QB in NFL history” or “has no business being on an NFL Roster”. Those effect anyone and well he is trying to improve by not making the mistake.  The sad fact is now who cares chuck the ball around see if you can make a play or draw a PI. 

I completely agree. I was yelling at my TV to chuck it. Hell, he did it later when KB dropped it! 

There is one point I've been looking and thinking about a lot.  Not that I don't think Shady should get his touches but I wouldn't mind seeing them come out with Ivory.  Let Ivory fall forward a few times.  Let Ivory have more of the 3/4 yards and a cloud of dust carries and let Shady work passing downs and change of pace.  All the things Kamara, White, and Cohen are doing in the passing game Shady could probably do and would get him touches.  No disrespect to McCoy but he's reminding me of the "bad" Spiller years.

• Like (+1) 1

On 11/5/2018 at 1:01 PM, dorquemada said:

https://www.footballdb.com/stats/penalties.html

yeah, another site that I just closed the tab for showed trending too, which the Bills, if they keep up the last 3 games performance, will be league leading in penalties in another game or two.  The net is, they're undisciplined, and getting more undisciplined as the season goes on, which again, is indicative of coaching, and/or a team that has given up.

Let me blow your mind here for a moment, what if the process, is in fact fundamentally flawed, and if followed close to plan, actually makes the Bills worse?

http://www.nflpenalties.com/team/buffalo-bills?year=2018&view=games

^This is probably a slightly better for game by game breakdown, plus separating out defensive v offensive penalties - McD responsible for both, but our offense seems to be more the culprit here. Surprise surprise.

On 11/5/2018 at 3:56 PM, Virgil said:

3rd worst?  Is that real?  Wow. I had no idea.  That’s honestly as scary to me as our offensive performance.  

Seriously.  That’s on McDermott and not very process 

edit - yup. That’s true. We went from being in the top 10 last year to bottom 3.  That’s alarming 

Murph had the point yesterday that a lot of good teams still can suffer from excessive penalties, but it goes unnoticed with the ability to overcome same. When we start talking about penalties, it’s usually because we are trying to figure out what’s part of an overall failing phase of the game. If I remember right, he was saying KC is most penalized team this year so far but it’s not an issue anyone talks about because obviously playing lights out on O otherwise.