The Cap situation for 2018 is the biggest reason we should all relax about McBeane..

JerseyBills

Dead money in 2018 - Bills - $55,823,196... The next closest team has 15 million less in Dead Money , the Giants at 40 mil, followed by the Cards at 34 mil... What does this tell me ? It's extremely hard to win in this league , and nearly impossible when you have the most dead money on ur roster. This was done intentionally by Buffalo as they gutted a roster they didn't believe was qualified for long term success. 

Then we look at active cap spending for 2018 , the Bills current roster comes in dead last at 124 million. Next is the Giants , at 131 million , followed by Indy at 134.5 million and the Cards at 137 million... Every other team has over 20 million more in active cap spending than the Bills. Just for some perspective, the Jags have the most expensive active cap spending at 187 million! They have a roster worth 63 million more dollars than Buffalo. Bet they're loving that Dareus contract.

What do But , Arizona and the NYG have in common besides a boatload of dead $ , and Indy in active roster spending, is that they all have losing records and are likely done this year. Again, it's hard enough to win on a level playing field , but Bills brass sacrificed this cap space , knew they'd be extremely limited in upgrading the roster in FA but I LOVE that they stuck to their guns and followed their vision and plan.

Approximately 53 mil of the dead cap goes away this off season and we'll at Least be able to spend as much as any other team next year and not have such a HUGE discrepancy in active cap spending. They've drafted very well the last 2 years , and feel they built a foundation they are confident in and will be able to build on that foundation this upcoming off season 

So the point of this is , I feel calling for their heads is unwarranted until they see this thing through til next year and if they are anywhere near as bad , they deserve the ax, but lets give them their 3rd year at least, they rebuilt the roster and I think we'll see a whole different product on the field next year. 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 4

Kind of how I feel about the entire matter and it does feel like we have some basic foundation (on defense) that has been built.  Then next year they hopefully try to fill in the gaping holes on offense.

Realized yesterday during the game, that with the bills so horrible, it has completely freed up my Sundays for this season.  So we have that going for us...

Available cap space must be allocated properly via good decision making in UFA and/or trades. Can the Bills' front office led by Beane make the right decisions to address the talent deficiencies?  That's the real question at hand.  Just stating the amount of cap space for '19 shouldn't give anyone comfort enough to relax.

• Like (+1) 4

Can we talk about how a large portion of that is players that were on the team and cut/traded by the current regime? Where we are paying for players that aren’t here that would be an upgrade, and still hurt us financially? 

• Thank you (+1) 1

How much money did they waste this year? Why is next year going to be different? Who are the available free agents that are available and likely to sign here? Just because they have the money does not mean it makes the impact so many think. 

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Available cap space must be allocated properly via good decision making in UFA and/or trades. Can the Bills' front office led by Beane make the right decisions to address the talent deficiencies?  That's the real question at hand.  Just stating the amount of cap space for '19 shouldn't give anyone comfort enough to relax.

Thats why the OP said we have to see what happens this offseason and next year. They need their third year at least to be able to answer your question. If answered favorably, the fan base will have more confidence in them sticking around. If the answer to you question is No, then we all know the ax comes out. But as OP said, the current situation is part of their plan, which includes making the offseason moves necessary to address the glaring talent woes. They’ve set themselves up to do that, which deserves some degree of credit.

Who will be available in free agency to address our talent deficiencies? Forget for the moment whether any free agents would want to come to Buffalo - which actual players are there who COULD feasibly come here to address our problems at OL, WR, etc.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, TremaineAve said:

Thats why the OP said we have to see what happens this offseason and next year. They need their third year at least to be able to answer your question. If answered favorably, the fan base will have more confidence in them sticking around. If the answer to you question is No, then we all know the ax comes out. But as OP said, the current situation is part of their plan, which includes making the offseason moves necessary to address the glaring talent woes. They’ve set themselves up to do that, which deserves some degree of credit.

The OP said relax without providing any reason to do so.  They have made very questionable decisions that should cause concern irrespective of the available cap space which is my exact point. 

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

4 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

Dead money in 2018 - Bills - $55,823,196... The next closest team has 15 million less in Dead Money , the Giants at 40 mil, followed by the Cards at 34 mil... What does this tell me ? It's extremely hard to win in this league , and nearly impossible when you have the most dead money on ur roster. This was done intentionally by Buffalo as they gutted a roster they didn't believe was qualified for long term success. 

Then we look at active cap spending for 2018 , the Bills current roster comes in dead last at 124 million. Next is the Giants , at 131 million , followed by Indy at 134.5 million and the Cards at 137 million... Every other team has over 20 million more in active cap spending than the Bills. Just for some perspective, the Jags have the most expensive active cap spending at 187 million! They have a roster worth 63 million more dollars than Buffalo. Bet they're loving that Dareus contract.

What do But , Arizona and the NYG have in common besides a boatload of dead $ , and Indy in active roster spending, is that they all have losing records and are likely done this year. Again, it's hard enough to win on a level playing field , but Bills brass sacrificed this cap space , knew they'd be extremely limited in upgrading the roster in FA but I LOVE that they stuck to their guns and followed their vision and plan.

Approximately 53 mil of the dead cap goes away this off season and we'll at Least be able to spend as much as any other team next year and not have such a HUGE discrepancy in active cap spending. They've drafted very well the last 2 years , and feel they built a foundation they are confident in and will be able to build on that foundation this upcoming off season 

So the point of this is , I feel calling for their heads is unwarranted until they see this thing through til next year and if they are anywhere near as bad , they deserve the ax, but lets give them their 3rd year at least, they rebuilt the roster and I think we'll see a whole different product on the field next year. 

Great, The Bills will have all that cap space next year, to do what with exactly?

Any competent WR, TE, RB is going to avoid this team like the plauge.

most Bills fans were demanding Whaley had to go because of how he F)*(^ the cap situation.

Beane "Cleared" the dead weight/talent off this roster. Fans rejoiced.

Now as we head to UFA fans are ok with overpaying UFAs only to get right back in "cap hell"?

If you were Randall Cobb or Golden Tate and you saw this team trotting out Nate Peterman at QB, and you had offers from Buffalo and a few other teams, that were rough;y identical why would you choose Buffalo? Its going to take 13-15+MM a year to land a Top UFA WR this year. none of those guys are worth that amount.

Currently, it looks like impact players will have to come from the draft and draft only. 

15 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

The OP said relax without providing any reason to do so.  They have made very questionable decisions that should cause concern irrespective of the available cap space which my exact point. 

I agree that some of their decisions support having not much faith in approaching this offseason. But don’t you think the front office and coach need to be able to execute their plan before we can make final judgment? They’ve planned for this huge cap space, now they need to prove to us that they can use it wisely and as needed (and there are lots of needs). 

1 minute ago, TremaineAve said:

I agree that some of their decisions support having not much faith in approaching this offseason. But don’t you think the front office and coach need to be able to execute their plan before we can make final judgment? They’ve planned for this huge cap space, now they need to prove to us that they can use it wisely and as needed (and there are lots of needs). 

I definitely do and have said so on a number of occasions.  That doesn't mean any fan should be confident or relaxed enough to think they execute said plan effectively.  Personally, I'm in wait and see mode.

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, TremaineAve said:

But what have they showed you so far on their tenure here that they know what they are doing on offence and the only reason they haven't been able to right the ship was money?

THEY CREATED THE DEAD CAP SPACE THEMSELVES. They decided that they had to get rid of good players and take the cap hits to get picks, they even dealt picks to obtain players they later dumped before playing in a meaningful game for them to take on dead cap. The have made more bad FA signings then good ones since coming here and haven't been great with trades either.

So we should cut them some slack for putting themselves in a dead cap issue and having little talent? I think most people could cut them slack if they had shown that they are as good at evaluating talent as their are with dumping it and collecting picks and cap space.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, Mango said:

Can we talk about how a large portion of that is players that were on the team and cut/traded by the current regime? Where we are paying for players that aren’t here that would be an upgrade, and still hurt us financially? 

I love the "dead cap space" argument for why the Bills suck. It reminds me of the apocryphal story of the young man who kills both his parents and then asks the judge for leniency because he is an orphan!!!

The idiot GM Beane and his clueless friend McDermott created the mess they claim has victimized them. These two clowns have made all the decisions that have led this franchise to become a laughingstock of the league. An offense that is historically bad by any measure has been brought to you by GM Beane and head coach McDoofus!

Jon Gruden trades away Khalil Mack, his best pass rusher, and then whines about his teams' lack of pass rush. He tries to blame anyone and anything other than himself. This is another example of incompetence.

In the future, the Bills cap situation will likely improve. Whoopee!  Do you have great faith in this management team to succeed in handling it? Free agents see Buffalo as a last chance stop for a big paycheck before retirement. The Bills record of signing big money free agents who have produced well has been largely a deplorable failure.

• Like (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, ngbills said:

How much money did they waste this year? Why is next year going to be different? Who are the available free agents that are available and likely to sign here? Just because they have the money does not mean it makes the impact so many think. 

Yep.  Not only do you have to identify the right free agents, but they have to be willing to sign here.

29 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

I definitely do and have said so on a number of occasions.  That doesn't mean any fan should be confident or relaxed enough to think they execute said plan effectively.  Personally, I'm in wait and see mode.

I’m right with you in wait and see mode. And I’m right with you about questioning some decisions and not feeling all that confident that they can right this ship. I’m trying to be as hopeful as possible.

3 minutes ago, TremaineAve said:

I’m right with you in wait and see mode. And I’m right with you about questioning some decisions and not feeling all that confident that they can right this ship. I’m trying to be as hopeful as possible.

The real ship that needs to be righted is Josh Allen. And that ship is sinking.

It's just started to take on water, so no one really notices that the water line is rising right now.  

Wait until we are, say, 6 games into next year.  The clamoring for a QB and regime change will be deafening.

Yes, I know, you don't have to believe this today.  Just wait a while and report back then.

7 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

But what have they showed you so far on their tenure here that they know what they are doing on offence and the only reason they haven't been able to right the ship was money?

THEY CREATED THE DEAD CAP SPACE THEMSELVES. They decided that they had to get rid of good players and take the cap hits to get picks, they even dealt picks to obtain players they later dumped before playing in a meaningful game for them to take on dead cap. The have made more bad FA signings then good ones since coming here and haven't been great with trades either.

So we should cut them some slack for putting themselves in a dead cap issue and having little talent? I think most people could cut them slack if they had shown that they are as good at evaluating talent as their are with dumping it and collecting picks and cap space.

They got us to the playoffs last season, with an undertalented team as a whole and poor offense! That’s tangible evidence that there is some hope. They coached us and otherwise got us to a winning record, and with some luck the playoffs. They’ve also done at least a decent job in drafting thus far to put in place some hopeful foundations on which a solid team can be built, putting aside personal judgments on not just Allen but also Edmunds and the rest of the lot. These things show me that there is at least some hope for the future. This next draft and offseason will be the tell alls as to whether the current leadership is the right one for us. Then we can judge in final.

• Like (+1) 1

Why do so many assume FA’s will sign here? Sure, money talks, but it’s not like they’re forced to take our money. John Brown chose a 1 year prove it  with Joe Flacco and the ravens over our 3 year offer... Joe ***** Flacco. I know this doesn’t mean every FA will do this, but we will surely miss out on some FAs we want due to how things are going currently. 

12 minutes ago, TremaineAve said:

They got us to the playoffs last season, with an undertalented team as a whole and poor offense! That’s tangible evidence that there is some hope. They coached us and otherwise got us to a winning record, and with some luck the playoffs. They’ve also done at least a decent job in drafting thus far to put in place some hopeful foundations on which a solid team can be built, putting aside personal judgments on not just Allen but also Edmunds and the rest of the lot. These things show me that there is at least some hope for the future. This next draft and offseason will be the tell alls as to whether the current leadership is the right one for us. Then we can judge in final.

They backed into the playoffs on a fluke TD by another team to end a game. They tried their best to miss the playoffs. Theres just as likely a chance that the players overachieved in spite of the coaching staff then the coaching staff going everything right to get them into the playoffs. During the "playoff run" they dumped one of their best run defenders on a defense that wasnt very good against the run, they also switched QBs to Peterman for a critical game during their playoff run. The entire run was dependent on the defence taking the ball away  more then what can be expected.

It's funny how McDermott will get credit for getting them into the playoffs just cause he was the coach, but many wont give Tyrod credit  even though he was the starting QB for them that season.

Edited by apuszczalowski