Coffee Aficionados?

My wife usually buys the cheap Price Chopper Dark roast, but I’d like to expand my horizons a little bit and I’m not afraid to spend money to get good quality.  Anyone get their coffee online?  If so, any recommendations as to where to buy it?

Also, any recommendations as to different types of coffee.  My wife and I loved Jamaican Blue Mountain coffee when we were on our honeymoon in Negril.  We ended up buying a few pounds while we were there but got ripped off...stuff was like sawdust when we opened it.  lol

We tend to gravitate toward the darkest types of coffee.  Love espresso.  Thanks in advance for the tips!

Peete's Italian roast. Usually around $9 for 12 oz. Value wise, four sisters is the best I've found. $5 for 1-1/2 lbs at Big Lots and not that much of a downgrade from Peete's. Just been a bit more price conscious since getting laid off back in March.

41 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

My wife usually buys the cheap Price Chopper Dark roast, but I’d like to expand my horizons a little bit and I’m not afraid to spend money to get good quality.  Anyone get their coffee online?  If so, any recommendations as to where to buy it?

Also, any recommendations as to different types of coffee.  My wife and I loved Jamaican Blue Mountain coffee when we were on our honeymoon in Negril.  We ended up buying a few pounds while we were there but got ripped off...stuff was like sawdust when we opened it.  lol

We tend to gravitate toward the darkest types of coffee.  Love espresso.  Thanks in advance for the tips!

JBM is high-end stuff, a local shop sells it and I get a few of us at the office to split a few pounds most years.

Green coffee beans and an air popper....i love roasting my own!

26 minutes ago, Cynical said:

Have you ever tried roasting your own?

Sweet Maria's offer trail/sample packages of 4-1lb bags for about $20.

They even have one for espresso:

https://www.sweetmarias.com/green-coffee-sample-set-espresso.html

I will also recommend Peets, either the Italian Roast or the Major Dickinson's.

Costco Colombian is always good.

I currently buy Eight-O-Clock whole bean Colombian and grind myself. Good price in the larger bags. 

If you really want to spend money, Intelligentsia is pretty darn good. But honestly, if I am buying local whole beans, I go to the nearest coffee shop that roasts in-house and ask for whatever was roasted the day before. Don't care about provenance, just freshness.

It was a WTH purchase but Black Rifle coffee isn't too bad at all.  I bought a bag at a fair here in Pennsylvania and haven't been disappointed.  

As for store bought coffee, I prefer to use a reuseable K-Cup just because you can crank out nearly triple the cups of coffee out of a bag of coffee but that's just my personal preference.  I really like the Cafe Bustelo for that.  If I buy K-Cups, the Revv is surprisingly smooth.

1 hour ago, Steve O said:

Peete's Italian roast. Usually around $9 for 12 oz. Value wise, four sisters is the best I've found. $5 for 1-1/2 lbs at Big Lots and not that much of a downgrade from Peete's. Just been a bit more price conscious since getting laid off back in March.

I just tried Peete's for the fist time.  But I got the French Roast.  Wasn't that big of a fan of it.  However, I really liked how finely ground their beans were through.  Almost to a powder.  I will give the Italian a try next.  If I don't like the first two types of a brand I try, I will probably move on from the brand at that point. 

Types I do like and buy often, pretty basic stuff:  Tim Hortons Original, Dunkin Donuts Original, and Eight O'Clock Coffee Original (which I think is very underrated).  Still looking for my real go to one as well as I will buy a lot of random stuff to try and find something that stands out above the rest, an elusive task at this point.

Edited by Mark80

1 hour ago, Steve O said:

Looks like that's right up my alley, and I like the price.

1 hour ago, Cynical said:

Sounds like a lot of work to me...lol.  We have a coffee machine with a built in grinder.  Nothing fancy but it makes pretty good coffee.  Also we have an espresso machine that I haven't used in years.

1 hour ago, row_33 said:

JBM is high-end stuff, a local shop sells it and I get a few of us at the office to split a few pounds most years.

I love Jamaican blue Mountain, but I'm so cautious about buying it due to our experience buying it in Jamaica.  If I could find a reliable place to get it online, I would pay the high price just to enjoy it here and there.

7 minutes ago, Soda Popinski said:

Seattle's best is pretty good.   

I like buying beans whole when I want super coffee.    Then grind them fresh and use a french press.    Starbucks french roast done this way is about as good a cup of coffee as I think there is. 

Not a huge fan of Starbucks....usually too bitter for me.  I love the idea of using a french press, and I own one, but I've never had much luck.  Usually it comes out like light brown dish water. 

Just now, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Not a huge fan of Starbucks....usually too bitter for me.  I love the idea of using a french press, and I own one, but I've never had much luck.  Usually it comes out like light brown dish water. 

Are you not using enough coffee?  or not letting it sit for a minute or two?    

2 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

I'm no aficionado, but I drink a ton of the stuff. From gas station hi-rev $0.99 cups to $6 local organic brews. It's all good. Can definitely recommend Kona Coffee, comes from my island, great climate and soil, good coffee growers, lots of small batch family operation type deals. Expensive as hell.

1 hour ago, Cynical said:

Nothing like anticipating that second crack!

My wife is a big coffee fan so I bought her an iRoast2 one year for Christmas.  I ended up taking the interest in it and roasted our own for a while with beans from both Sweet Maria's and Coffee Bean Corral.  It was a lot of fun trying different varieties, but eventually gave it up once the kids came along.

Currently we've been going with those two dark roasts from Peet's.

56 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

I religiously only buy Starbucks as it's one of the highest quality readily available brands you can get.  You can get it for about $6.99 a sack or a bit cheaper if you buy the right store and/or wait for sales and then buy a bunch.

But I hear you in terms of not liking it.  It seems to be kind of divisive.  It is a very strong roast and lots of folks just don't like that.  

I love it.

1 hour ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Looks like that's right up my alley, and I like the price.

Sounds like a lot of work to me...lol.  We have a coffee machine with a built in grinder.  Nothing fancy but it makes pretty good coffee.  Also we have an espresso machine that I haven't used in years.

I love Jamaican blue Mountain, but I'm so cautious about buying it due to our experience buying it in Jamaica.  If I could find a reliable place to get it online, I would pay the high price just to enjoy it here and there.

It's great to have this place just down the street....

https://coffeetree.ca/shop/

JBM at $50 a pound is an occasional enjoyment.