Bills Horrid Special Teams This Season

BillsFan130

I understand that this is way down the list in terms of the Bills problems right now, but it still is a problem.

I can't remember ever seeing the Bills special teams this bad...

-Terrible kick/punt returns

-Fumbles/muffs on kickoffs and punts

-Blocked punt

-Fumbled snap by punter (1 or 2 times, I can't remember)

-Lack of communication (When Bojorquez thought it was a fake field goal)

-Difficult time covering punts and kickoffs

-Dumb and undisciplined penalties

-Shanked punts

Did I miss anything?

Their only somewhat saving grace is Hauschka as that guy is a machine.

Not sure if it is coaching, or players, or both, but either way something has to change with this special teams next year

Edited by billsfan11

the Bills haven't been much of a ST team for 20 years now, a great punter and some decent return men is all they've done

at the same time the Pats have always stressed ST for the extra edge it may give every game

Just now, row_33 said:

the Bills haven't been much of a ST team for 20 years now, a great punter and some decent return men is all they've done

at the same time the Pats have always stressed ST for the extra edge it may give every game

Ya exactly. Guys like Matthew Slater. They always seem to make a big play on special teams at least once a game

• Thank you (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Special teams are a byproduct of the quality of the roster.   

If you have bad starters, the back up who play ST are going to be even worse...

That is wholly true. However, McD specifically looks for and plays and activates guys who are specifically there for special teams. Taiwan Jones, Andre Holmes, Deon Lacey, etc. He puts a lot of emphasis on them and yet they still suck and are undisciplined. 

53 minutes ago, Lurker said:

This is so easily overlooked.  Injuries are also a factor.  We have had a lot of banged up depth guys who have missed time, and a few starters.  We turn over the roster on the bottom end to replenish losses and guys who we rnun through.

ST are often WR, DB's, LB's and RB's. We don't have a true backup RB right now because they're both better than McCoy. We have nothing at WR. We have decent depth at DB and none at LB.

1 hour ago, Lurker said:

While true it doesn't paint a whole picture - Pats ST isn't full of talented players, good ST rosters are filled with many players, most of them solid, who do their jobs and do them well. The Pats offense and defense isn't exactly glaring with talent on either side where depth would extend to the ST squad. 

While your point is true, I'd argue it's more so the coaching and overall team culture to winning at all levels (offense, defense, and special teams) that creates great special teams rosters/plays. 

To the OP - I agree our ST has taken a few steps back this year and needs to be addressed, likely with Crossman being shown the door, but we likely get more of a shakedown here moving guys around in the offseason. 

Edited by ctk232