Bill's Offensive Line is the problem. Amazing stat.

Kevin1778

46 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

Yeah but let's draft a run stuffing DT with the #3 overall pick in next year's draft!

That's how you win football games!

Did I get the steps in the process right? 

1. Trade Dareus.

2. Eat a bunch of dead cap space. (Would have cost us way less had we waited a year)

3. Also pay Star a ton. Suck.

4. Use number 3 pick to replace our prior number 3 pick.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

You really expect them to be fired in the middle of their 2nd season running the football department?   No way!

It's because some think we're the only ones who see the Bills having an historically awful offense, and that, because it doesn't get better within the same season we have no accountability in the FO. Despite the fact that regardless of our opinions of McD, Beane, and the Pegulas, they are all professionals who are capable of seeing the current state of the team and formulating a plan. 

But because we're apparently the only ones who can see it, and it doesn't get fixed/become serviceable within a week that coaches need to go because the team isn't accountable to the feelings/opinions/ill-informed observations of the fans...

1 hour ago, Boatdrinks said:

Why on earth would a team draft a QB that is planned to suck , or sign a mediocre at best veteran only to trade him before the start of the season? Then on top of it, be forced to start a very raw prospect too soon because of it ? It seems more like sheer incompetence is at work here. 

Seems like a recipe to get the rookie as much playing time as possible, for better or worse in the win column to me.

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I disagree about the talent level on OL not having dropped off.   I'm really not sure how one constructs an argument that Glenn-'Cog-Wood-Miller-Henderson (2015) was not more talent than Dawkins-Ducasse-Bodine-Miller-Mills (2018).    Yes, there is a contribution from coaching, scheme, WR talent (with no WR) 4.1 ypa under the same OL coach but this year 3.7 ypa after swapping 'Cog-Wood for Ducasse-Bodine (or Groy).  Then go back to 2015/2016 4.8 and 5.3 ypa, respectively.  Do you really believe Taylor's legs made that much difference?  Yes, they made a difference... but that much?

I believe there is a strong argument to be made that coaching matters, or perhaps better said "coaching/scheme suitable to the players" matters.

Marrone had wierd ideas about who should play guard - Doug Legursky then Eric Pears, seriously?  The whole OL seemed often confused. 

Under Kromer, seemed like everybody had a job they could do and everybody did it.  Not great pass protection, but solid run blocking and less confusion.  And from what I saw, there was often better pass protection than Taylor made it appear - he would have passing lanes, and fail to step up into them.

When I swallow my Prilosec, dose myself up with Maalox, and deep-dive into the all-22, there seems to be a huge amount of confusion on the line again under Castillo.  We don't seem able to adjust to penetrating MLB let alone blitzes.  And IMO guys are still being asked to do stuff they just can't.

Yeah,  I do.

And there is a mountain of evidence to support it.

I will give you the chaos under Castillo and Daboll...........they had an identity under Roman/Lynn and even under Marrone.    Marrone asked his OL to repeat the same blocks over and over.     People used to complain about him running Spiller up the middle over and over but at least Spiller was averaging 4.7 ypc in the process.  

13 minutes ago, 4BillsintheBurgh said:

Seems like a recipe to get the rookie as much playing time as possible, for better or worse in the win column to me.

Nope. They would have just named him the starter after or during the preseason. Mahomes was considered raw and the Chiefs sat him for a year. The Bills botched this situation, plain and simple. Playing Allen was always going to be for better or worse once he was put into the starting lineup. Poor planning resulted in that happening much too early. At this point though, nothing else in this season matters except Allen gaining experience. He should start as soon as he’s cleared to do so. 

4 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

You really expect them to be fired in the middle of their 2nd season running the football department?   No way!

...so we could churn the turnstile, bring in new brass/coaches who of course will want "their guys" , wasting another two years for a makeover?......breaking the schneid last year was an unforeseen anomaly with Dalton's "divine intervention"........BUT....is it even fathomable or conceivable that they could have missed THIS bad collectively on the offensive side of the ball?....we all know about Woods and Incognito.....and they certainly couldn't predict Shady slowing to a crawl......but was Cordy THAT expendable to move up with this ROCK SOLID OL?....Peterman the starter, making the quantum leap from being a 5th because of TC and pre-season offensive prowess with rubber bullets, making AJ expendable with no backup plan if Nate petered out?...........I get it that McDermott and Beane as well as Daboll have learning curves in their respective positions, but to miss THIS badly is........you know the rest.............

14 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

Nope. They would have just named him the starter after or during the preseason. Mahomes was considered raw and the Chiefs sat him for a year. The Bills botched this situation, plain and simple. Playing Allen was always going to be for better or worse once he was put into the starting lineup. Poor planning resulted in that happening much too early. At this point though, nothing else in this season matters except Allen gaining experience. He should start as soon as he’s cleared to do so. 

The planning was for him to play sooner rather than later, hence them getting rid on McCarron. If you want to call it botching, fine, but once they got rid of McCarron Allen was not going to be sitting for long. That was the plan. I would say poor play by Peterman is what caused that to happen. It's unfortunate Allen got hurt, but if he hadn't he would be getting a lot of experience right now.

11 hours ago, Reed83HOF said:

Wood was done in early Jan, they had time to address it. They chose to spend money on Defense instead, even though they planned on drafting a QB...

Oh they also traded Glenn and they dicked around with Richies money

They didn't dick around with Richie's money. They agreed to a contract with him that he accepted and then he went off his meds. Why are you trying to rewrite Richie's long documented problems as something the Bills did?

12 hours ago, Reed83HOF said:

Wood was done in early Jan, they had time to address it. They chose to spend money on Defense instead, even though they planned on drafting a QB...

Oh they also traded Glenn and they dicked around with Richies money

This is all true.

P.S. For some idiotic reason, they did wake up one morning and decide to initiate a pay cut with one of our few pro bowl players.  That decision never made any sense and they ended up outsmarting themselves.

• Like (+1) 1

18 hours ago, LabattBlue said:

My voice doesn't carry much weight at OBD, but I am holding them accountable.  :) 

They should both be shown the door the minute the season ends.  This season is beyond embarrassing, but I guess it will take a lot more to embarrass the Pegula's.

So you want to fire a gm after one offseason? Interesting strategy

These types of points continue to frustrate me as a fan. They didn't fail to recognize the problem, they simply decided against putting themselves in similar financial restraints against the Cap the way the team did when Whaley was here. They are $10 mil under the Cap, that's not much room, so who do you exchange? Star was brought in to improve the Run D and allow the LBers and DE to get to the QB, which the Defense has actually improved in many ways. So who do you exchange that truly changes the O-Line for that money that is in the long-term plans?

The guys who were decent Offensive linemen available in FA simply got P-A-I-D and the Bills wanted to clear their Cap space and were forced into the situation with unforeseen retirements for their starting C and LG. How is that hard to understand?

The plan all along was to take this year as a way of clearing dead Cap, but they didn't think they'd also have to find two starting Offensive Linemen in addition to all the other changes when the plan was put together. But they're sticking to it...that's the part that some fans don't want to accept. They were given few options and decided to stay the course. It's become ludicrous that fans fail to accept circumstances as they unfolded. Beane's admitted he should have brought in Anderson after the AJ trade, but short of that, what other changes or concessions could they have made that would have changed the fate of the team AND allowed them a healthy Cap management?

2019 is the make or break season for both McD and Beane. And that doesn't necessarily mean setting the NFL on fire, but it really does demand MUCH improvement in the Offense and incremental improvement in the Defense. I'd say Offense needs to get to the middle to close to top 10 for next year while Defense improves in some areas and the Bills push for 10-6 in order to be "safe" for 2020. If they do better - awesome - if they fail to develop the Offense and the team looks even close to how bad it is this year, then I think they get their walking papers when the season is done next year. And, if the team is bad next year, don't rule out Beane coming back and getting one more shot to choose his HC. 

I'm hoping none of that is necessary and I think with 2019 Off-season, they will get it right. Just my .02

• Thank you (+1) 1

30% of our cap is dead.

Is anyone surprised that given we have hands tied against the cap, that our team's number 1 weakness is cheap?

That's wayyyyyy better than paying alot and having a crap OL. When we do get legit OL players, we won't have anoyher heap of dead money from the old guys.

This is part of the plan, guys. I know people don't want to talk about it or admit it but this is a 5 year plan. I don't know if it will work, but responsible cap decisions can payoff big time in the future if managed well from this point forward. I'm sure people will say "I have seen nothing to show they can do this", and that is true, but whether you believe it or not, you haven't seen anything to show they can't either.

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, jeremy2020 said:

They didn't dick around with Richie's money. They agreed to a contract with him that he accepted and then he went off his meds. Why are you trying to rewrite Richie's long documented problems as something the Bills did?

Not trying to re-write anything, we went to him with a reduced contract, yes he signed it and then he retired (after firing his agent). We did dick around with his money by asking him to play for less, even though his play was at a high level and didn't warrant a reduction in contract... 

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Peter said:

This is all true.

P.S. For some idiotic reason, they did wake up one morning and decide to initiate a pay cut with one of our few pro bowl players.  That decision never made any sense and they ended up outsmarting themselves.

The only rationalization at that time I could give was, that I expected us to move the old guys before the trade deadline and undergo a full rebuild, but we didn't do that. That is what all of these moves were telegraphing IMO. I don't think we needed a full rebuild either, but it sure feels like that is that path, albeit a half-assed rebuild