I think I'm out on McDermott

zow2

15 minutes ago, paulbills said:

We make it to the playoffs and he's the greatest thing since sliced bread, we struggle in a year with zero offensive weapons and suddenly he has to go.

This board is far too emotional more often than not.  

We went 9-7 and lucked into the playoffs.

Edited by RosenNOTchosen1
  • Like (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, BuffaloBill said:

The reality is that a coaching change probably does nothing to improve this team.  The Offense is such a mess that there is little to work with unless Josh Allen returns and starts to show signs of life.  The Bills really bungled the talent situation and are paying the price for it.  The Pegula’s likely give Bean and McDermott next season to show some sort of a turnaround.  

All true. I'm not overly inspired by anyone of the coaching staff on the offensive side of the ball and thus far have very little indication that anyone in the FO (including the scouts & pro personnel people) understand how to identify offensive talent. 

Right now, this is the baby:

image.jpeg.a8dfe4ed009219bea9566d7a150480e9.jpeg

8 hours ago, jrober38 said:

I don't buy this.

This is McDermott's OL, these are his hand picked WRs, his RBs, and his QBs. 

This is the offense he assembled, and it's HORRIBLE. 

Nate Peterman "WON" the QB battle this summer, and he's clearly not an NFL player. 

Nothing they've done suggests they're even remotely capable of evaluating offensive talent. 

They were his handpicked OL and WRs in an offseason in which we had a plethora of holes to fill and not much cap room to play with.  If we didn’t sign star and draft Edmunds we would’ve signed and drafted an OL or WR.  Our offense would be a little better and we’d be watching reruns of the saints and jets games last year.  Teams Running it up the middle on every play ramming it down our throats.  And we’d suck because of that.....and not because we can’t score TDs.  There were only so many resources to fill our holes and too many holes.  Period.  The majority of our resources were spent on solid contributors

edit:  not sure why I even spent the time to quote you.  You’re way past the point of obsessing over firing these guys.  

Edited by NewEra

9 hours ago, clearwater cadet said:

The only thing that brings good offense is a good QB who can see the field and make the throw.  All our problems go away with good Qb play.

That's not exactly true, though we need a QB and currently don't have one on the roster. 

9 hours ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

9 games in 1.5 seasons getting blown out by 19+ points.  That’s alarmingly bad. 

Yes it is. 

9 hours ago, jrober38 said:

McDermott is Dick Jauron 2.0. 

His philosophy on how to win football games has zero similarities with any of the top coaches in the NFL.

We need to get rid of this guy asap.

I genuinely think they thought this team would be better than they were last year with "his guys" and the result is the worst offense the NFL has seen in at least 20 years. 

You can't field such an abysmal offense in 2018 and keep your job. You just can't. 

I know just what you mean, but the sad reality is that you can!  At least in Buffalo.  I'm not totally sure Pegula knows what he's looking at and I've said many times he is the lowest information sports fan you will find. 

9 hours ago, zow2 said:

I guarantee if you're sitting in a room talking candidly with the Pegulas, they Did not expect to be THIS BAD.  This is an embarrassment and hurts the Bills brand.  

I think this is probably right.  Our only hope for getting McD fired this year is if Pegula feels embarrassed.  Without that, he will stay.  I think this is worse than he thought, but perhaps not to the level of embarrassment.

9 hours ago, jrober38 said:

This is just not true.

Numerous people on this board expected the offense to be better this year than they were a season ago.

Lots of people claimed "it couldn't get any worse." Boy, were they wrong. 

I genuinely think that McDermott and Beane thought this team would be better than last year. 

I think they thought they'd have better play calling, I think they thought Tyrod was really holding them back, I think they thought Benjamin and Jones would take a big step forward, that the OL would gel, and that McCoy would return to form.

Literally everything they've done on the offensive side of the ball for the past 2 years hasn't worked. These guys have no idea what they're doing on that side of the football. 

Yes, there is a lot of revisionist history going on here now. It's not that hard to dig up the preseason prediction threads.  The majority of this board are kool aid drinking optimists disconnected from reality.  They were not predicting the worst offensive team in the modern history of the game. 

9 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

So can someone that defends McD please tell me the point of. Down 28-0. (4 scores) 

Bills have the ball 4th and 6 on the Bears 23 yard line what the Point is Kicking a FG there to go down by you guessed it 4 scores?? 

Please Defend that Spineless decision. 

This is key.   You know why they did that?  B/C McDermott is a meathead "football guy" and he was likely thinking "We need to get on the board; we need to score something and get the momentum going" as though that helps.  He's not thinking through the big picture or analyzing it from a numbers perspective b/c that's not how his brain works. 

8 hours ago, BillsEnthusiast said:

Because shutouts are worse than 3 points

That the best you got?  LOL

8 hours ago, Bangarang said:

Bills fans prior to the season were predicting 10 wins and another playoff appearance.

Those same fans are now saying this season was always going to be lost and the results shouldn’t surprise anyone.

You got that right!  That's how this place works.  Most folks here are followers by nature and exhibit a herd mentality; they like to run with the pack and derive comfort from knowing others around them think the same way they do.  On top of that, they are disconnected from reality and greatly overvalue the quality of the Bills organization, no matter who is running it or who is on the team.

They are precisely the same people who defended Doug Whaley when I was pointing out what a joke he was as GM....and they are also the same people who NOW routinely joke about how bad Whaley was.  The goalposts keep moving.  They don't view things objectively; their goal is to simply defend the team/organization at all costs.  

They are also the same people who LOVED the Rex Ryan hire.  "He brings us relevancy!" they said.  "He's a big name coach known around the country!" and so on.  Now they all joke what a train wreck he was, now that he is no longer the coach.

1 hour ago, Reed83HOF said:

All true. I'm not overly inspired by anyone of the coaching staff on the offensive side of the ball and thus far have very little indication that anyone in the FO (including the scouts & pro personnel people) understand how to identify offensive talent. 

Right now, this is the baby:

image.jpeg.a8dfe4ed009219bea9566d7a150480e9.jpeg

Ted Cruz, Jr.?

• Haha (+1) 1

We can't properly evaluate this regime until we've seen Josh Allen play 32 games. I hate the fact that we are staring at another lost season but I still think McDermott and Beane are the best brain trust we've had since Wade Phillips and John Butler. Beane took a risk that Peterman could play as well as a veteran backup and now his credibility is sinking like a shorted stock. A football regime is like a political regime: 1st year is the honeymoon, years 2 and 3 you make the necessary but unpopular decisions , in year 4 you'd better deliver on your promises or you're toast. We're in year two.

9 hours ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Was everyone who says they should fire him stating the same at the end of last season when they made the playoffs and went 9-7 when most at the beginning of the year were predicting 4 to 6 wins?

Just curious?

No but there was a small chunk that wondered about him. The peterman start, the blowouts, etc.... worried some people. 

12 minutes ago, stuvian said:

We can't properly evaluate this regime until we've seen Josh Allen play 32 games. I hate the fact that we are staring at another lost season but I still think McDermott and Beane are the best brain trust we've had since Wade Phillips and John Butler. Beane took a risk that Peterman could play as well as a veteran backup and now his credibility is sinking like a shorted stock. A football regime is like a political regime: 1st year is the honeymoon, years 2 and 3 you make the necessary but unpopular decisions , in year 4 you'd better deliver on your promises or you're toast. We're in year two.

Year 4?!? Jesus. 

I feel sort of the same way as the OP.  I feel a lot more confident in Beane than McD.  Beane is smart, and seems to have a vision...and he admits mistakes.

I haven’t completely given up on McD, but it’s hard to have faith.  I don’t care about the clapping or comments about watching tape.  I care about how many times we’ve been blown out, and have looked completely unprepared.  I care about some of the stupid and repetitive mistakes that this team seems to make every game - that kind of lack of discipline is a reflection of coaching.

I just don’t see it.  Every other game, we seem to have a decent enough defensive game plan, but it falls apart quickly.   And the offense is such a shambles.

14 hours ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

The Bills have been exactly what everyone thought they would be going into the year.  If it crashes and burns next year then sure, you should lose faith.  But right now, this year, if you expected anything different then you just weren't paying attention before the start of the year. 

I dont mind losing but blowout after blowout after blowout. It's insane. There is righting the ship and then there is just missmanagement...  I'm not buying what he is selling. He himself is Marroning and is getting edgier by the day. He is trying to regain his grasp. They are unprepared EVERY week. May as well have stayed with dennison this year. This is worse than last year and last year was nothing to write home about.

• Like (+1) 2

Didn’t the Bills set some sort of record for penalties or penalty yardage this week? In week 9? Granted, I know that 2 were big yardage penalties on Gaines, but this is the type of thing that makes some of us question the coach. 

15 hours ago, zow2 said:

I do feel they should stick with Beane.  He's a smart guy, and he knows what went wrong here.  I'm fairly confident he will properly handle the upcoming draft and going after free agents.  

What went wrong? They had a bloodletting of bad contracts which had to happen at some point. I'm not sure where all of the expectations for this season came from when they have over 50 million in dead money.

Wouldn't fire him yet, I think he did a great job on defense, like super impressive, lots of young players that are going to be good for a very long time. Defense will always be our identity though, I think we can regularly finish in the top 5 under McD. It's what he does on offense that makes me queasy but he deserves the opportunity to fix the problem. I think he can, will he though? Nobody knows, which is why I wouldn't fire him just yet if I was Terry Pegula.

20 hours ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

The Bills have been exactly what everyone thought they would be going into the year.  If it crashes and burns next year then sure, you should lose faith.  But right now, this year, if you expected anything different then you just weren't paying attention before the start of the year. 

what is really curious about this situation is that a lot of fans on this board predicted a 1-4 or 0-5 record to start the season, regardless of who was named the starting QB, we all knew we would be starting an unproven player at the most important position.

I believe that starting McCarron and then eventually going to Allen would have been the reasonable plan and it would have appeased the mob a lot more. The enragement comes from McD really whiffing by having so much faith in Peterman.

1 hour ago, Fixxxer said:

what is really curious about this situation is that a lot of fans on this board predicted a 1-4 or 0-5 record to start the season, regardless of who was named the starting QB, we all knew we would be starting an unproven player at the most important position.

I believe that starting McCarron and then eventually going to Allen would have been the reasonable plan and it would have appeased the mob a lot more. The enragement comes from McD really whiffing by having so much faith in Peterman.

And this is absolutely right.  Losing is one thing, being uncompetitive & unwatrchable is something else completely.

Listened to the end of McD on WGR Monday and on one hand you fee bad for him in some sense, he still exudes an arrogance in his expectation that it will turn around and compares it to his time in Philly & Carolina.

Add that to his comments about field postion and really still not fully grasping the need for Offense and I am left shaking myu head.

But yes it started with the trading of Watkins in the pre-season, undermining the O and TT from day one, naming Peterman the starter vs. LAC and then not having a clear vision on the O coming into the season, the botched "QB competition" and Peterman still being on the team.