I think I'm out on McDermott

zow2

10 minutes ago, cage said:

I don't think I've ever been as pessimistic about a coach as I am with McD.  I've come to hate the word "process"... its a lame catch-all excuse for not having anything questioned that's obvious to all observers.

I agree.  Although when Matt Patricia used that word to admonish the sloucher in this press conference...that was pretty hilarious.  I gotta hand it to him for creative way to use "respect the process"

4 minutes ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

Fair.  But fan opinion is pretty skewed.  Look at national and local media opinion.  

Here's the thing, McDermott and the whole organization went all in a QB, a QB that is not playing right now.  When they get him back, play him for the rest of the year and next, and are still that bad, then I will be all in on firing him.  Until then, its just a team trying to set up to build for the future.  They were always going to be bad (fan opinion aside). 

So the “Win now and in future” was lip service?

At this point For me I wouldn’t be sad if they fired him or if they gave him another year.

Leaning towards getting rid of him at the end of this year though and hiring an offensive coach.

I actually think he would have been a descent coach if he was coaching 15 years ago. Where it wasn’t such an offensive league and he didn’t control all/most the personnel.

I just don’t think this era is for him. Name of the game now is to score points and be aggressive . By his interviews he still thinks running the ball and playing good defence is the key to winning games and championships.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

The Bills have been exactly what everyone thought they would be going into the year.  If it crashes and burns next year then sure, you should lose faith.  But right now, this year, if you expected anything different then you just weren't paying attention before the start of the year. 

Are we exactly what "everyone" thought we would be?

I remember that I pointed out that last year was a complete mirage.  Some of us pointed out that we really are not that good during this past off season. I remember there being a lot of push back and even negative threads about the line/team being closed down.

The nice thing about the "process" is that one can always say - after the fact - that such and such is part of the process.

When McBeane get fired (whether next week or years from now), we can always say that it was part of the process.

4 minutes ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

Fair.  But fan opinion is pretty skewed.  Look at national and local media opinion.  

Here's the thing, McDermott and the whole organization went all in a QB, a QB that is not playing right now.  When they get him back, play him for the rest of the year and next, and are still that bad, then I will be all in on firing him.  Until then, its just a team trying to set up to build for the future.  They were always going to be bad (fan opinion aside). 

I guarantee if you're sitting in a room talking candidly with the Pegulas, they Did not expect to be THIS BAD.  This is an embarrassment and hurts the Bills brand.  

2 minutes ago, zow2 said:

I agree.  Although when Matt Patricia used that word to admonish the sloucher in this press conference...that was pretty hilarious.  I gotta hand it to him for creative way to use "respect the process"

And then Quickly went and got blown out. So what does Detriot Press say. “Bad Posture” in their headlines. And Patricia looks like a fool. Similar to McD actually 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

McDermott is Dick Jauron 2.0. 

And he is ahead of Jauron's schedule..............he's nearly to Jauron year 4 now.........he and Beane have already compromised their high expectations to the point where they tolerate KB and pursue Corey Coleman,  Josh Gordon and Terrelle Pryor.

• Haha (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

McDermott is Dick Jauron 2.0. 

His philosophy on how to win football games has zero similarities with any of the top coaches in the NFL.

We need to get rid of this guy asap.

I genuinely think they thought this team would be better than they were last year with "his guys" and the result is the worst offense the NFL has seen in at least 20 years. 

You can't field such an abysmal offense in 2018 and keep your job. You just can't. 

As I mentioned in another post, McCoach is Dick Jauron without the charisma.

Note: For our younger readers, Dick Jauron had no charisma.

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

The Bills have been exactly what everyone thought they would be going into the year.  If it crashes and burns next year then sure, you should lose faith.  But right now, this year, if you expected anything different then you just weren't paying attention before the start of the year. 

I reject this kind of thinking completely. 

The Bills didn’t have to be this bad and shouldn’t be this bad. 

I can’t understand how some people act as if this season was inevitable and there’s nothing that could have been to stop it. That’s ridiculous. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

I don't buy this.

This is McDermott's OL, these are his hand picked WRs, his RBs, and his QBs. 

This is the offense he assembled, and it's HORRIBLE. 

Nate Peterman "WON" the QB battle this summer, and he's clearly not an NFL player. 

Nothing they've done suggests they're even remotely capable of evaluating offensive talent. 

I am pretty sure that aside from Bodine and Dawkins the entire Oline predated McDermott.  I just don't think you can be taken seriously when you says the offense is "hand picked."  It strikes me more as an offense he has only started to work on.  

And Nate Peterman played really well in the preseason.  It wasn't a race to the bottom.  He honestly won the job by playing well.  His regular season play has been farrrr from what he did in the preseason.  

We won't be a modern NFL team until we have a top offensive coordinator with a complex passing scheme. Defense and the run game do not win games in this league anymore. We have had a top defense and run game in years past and where did that get us? We need 400 yard passing games and 30+ points on the board. Nobody is talking about how bad the Saints defense is for giving up 35 against the Rams because the offense scored 45!

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, The_Dude said:

I reject this kind of thinking completely. 

The Bills didn’t have to be this bad and shouldn’t be this bad. 

I can’t understand how some people act as if this season was inevitable and there’s nothing that could have been to stop it. That’s ridiculous. 

Sure they could have stopped it, gotten us to a 6 or 7 win season, but whats the point of that? 

I was high on McD for awhile, but over time it became clear (like his predecessors) that he was going to rebuild the old-fashioned way.  Everyone here should know by now that having the best defense in the league with a mediocre offense gets you to maybe 7 wins per. 

What remains indefensible is McD is 10-15 years behind the curve and shows no sign of being flexible. I highly doubt he's going to internally decide that they're changing strategy to being a downfield passing team in the way Belichick did around 2006.  I remember seeing the Patriots lose to Indianapolis that year with garbage receivers in the AFC Championship game, and from that point forward BB has prioritized offense.  His defenses aren't all that special and IIRC, last year they finished in the bottom quarter of the league in most metrics.  

I don't get the sense McD ever will change his stripes the way NE did.  He's going to keep trying to fit a square peg into a round hole with the results to follow.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Just now, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

I am pretty sure that aside from Bodine and Dawkins the entire Oline predated McDermott.  I just don't think you can be taken seriously when you says the offense is "hand picked."  It strikes me more as an offense he has only started to work on.  

And Nate Peterman played really well in the preseason.  It wasn't a race to the bottom.  He honestly won the job by playing well.  His regular season play has been farrrr from what he did in the preseason.  

Who signed Ducasse?  Who signed Mills again?  So that is 4 of the 5 right? So yeah would call that hand picked 

17 minutes ago, cage said:

I don't think I've ever been as pessimistic about a coach as I am with McD.  I've come to hate the word "process"... its a lame catch-all excuse for not having anything questioned that's obvious to all observers.

Yup, "process" is a way to deflect criticism of him, and the fact that the team is completely unprepared week after week, and completely lacking in discipline.  Someone will have to show me where being the 3rd most penalized team in the NFL is indicative of a winning 'culture' or shows that there's a process in place to get better. 

If the Bills were coming out each week and playing disciplined football but losing games because they're outmanned in every conceivable way, it would be one thing.  The reality is that with this coach we could have the most talented team in the league but would consistently shoot themselves in the foot because they lack discipline, and that's 100% coaching.

Edited by dorquemada
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, zow2 said:

I guarantee if you're sitting in a room talking candidly with the Pegulas, they Did not expect to be THIS BAD.  This is an embarrassment and hurts the Bills brand.  

Pegulas have been through a tank with the Sabres.  They know how bad a team can look and what it feels like to lose to rebuild.  I wouldn't be so quick to guarantee anything. 

15 minutes ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

This is just not true.

Numerous people on this board expected the offense to be better this year than they were a season ago.

Lots of people claimed "it couldn't get any worse." Boy, were they wrong. 

I genuinely think that McDermott and Beane thought this team would be better than last year. 

I think they thought they'd have better play calling, I think they thought Tyrod was really holding them back, I think they thought Benjamin and Jones would take a big step forward, that the OL would gel, and that McCoy would return to form.

Literally everything they've done on the offensive side of the ball for the past 2 years hasn't worked. These guys have no idea what they're doing on that side of the football. 

• Like (+1) 2