WHO DESERVES THE BLAME?? THE PEGULAS!

12 minutes ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

This. We could have kept Tyrod for another two years and backed into a wild card loss or two. But we weren't getting any further than that.

And that is bad? Build a winning culture and start to sustain some success. I didnt realize the only option was to be awful before being good enough to win the super bowl. 

Lets look at the past super bowl champs

Eagles - many mediocre seasons. 

NE - when did they suck last? 

Den - Nope

Sea - Nope

Balt - Nope

NYG

GB

NO

PIT

And on and on. None of these teams used a bottom out and blow up approach. They were mostly consistent teams that make some good moves etc and get over the hump. 

31 minutes ago, joesixpack said:

So, if your boss walks into your office and wants to talk about your job with you....do you tell him to make an appointment?

:lol:

You're sliding off into moron oblivion, man.

It's not about the appointment. Terry wanted to watch tape. He wanted the GM to sit down and explain to him what he's looking at and how to evaluate players. He wanted to be involved in the football side for which he has zero expertise. It's meddling ownership and it almost always fails. Look around the league. The best owners understand they are not football people and take a step back to a guy running the show. So far Terry hires yes men.

Edited by CuddyDark

21 minutes ago, PeterDude said:

45 years and counting.

I see.....

If you did not live in the area and were spouting crap about not needing the team.....I would have a different message for you.

As it is.....you are definately in the minority of your thinking if you live in the area.....Pegula could have easily moved the team and frankly the NFL seemed to be encouraging it at the time.  This would not have bothered you but it DEF would have bother the ones that outnumber you.

1 hour ago, vorpma said:

Truly the best and most intelligent post ever on TBD; thanks again oldmanfan! Remember 1968 and Ed Rutkowski at QB or Hank Bullough as the HC or Stew Barber as GM; if they only knew!

The important take away is the SB 1990's began in 1985, a 2-14 season and a process over a five year period. Over a 14 year period the Bills were in the playoffs 10 seasons (Just missing 1987, 1994, 1997, and 2000) and I remember all hell breaking lose when they lost a game despite ten win and over seasons. Great drafting, FA signings, and coaching made it happen just not overnight.

• Like (+1) 1

What is the point of complaining about the owners. There is no way to change who owns the team the Pegulas were probably literally the only people who could purchase the bills and Sabres for what they did and keep them in Buffalo. From what we have been told there is no limitation on funds to give the coaches and players what they need to succeed. it may be questionable that Kim is the president with literally no sports experience but other than that what can you possibly be complaining about

3 hours ago, pop gun said:

IMO the Pegulas were misled and lied to from these two clowns, I guess you could blame them for being nice people that are too naive and gullible.  

What specifically do you feel they lied about??

IMO what Beane and McD told the P's were they have too many overpaid contracts that need to be purged.  Until those are off the books we're going to be be pretty bad, but will have high draft choices. Maybe they mislead them last year  by winning 9 games when they thought they'd only win 5 or 6.

Admittedly they likely didn't think they'd be looking this bad. In hindsight they would have maybe been better developing some offense and some defense as opposed to all emphasis on one side.   But again, they likely didn't think they'd be anywhere this bad on offense either.

3 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

What specifically do you feel they lied about??

IMO what Beane and McD told the P's were they have too many overpaid contracts that need to be purged.  Until those are off the books we're going to be be pretty bad, but will have high draft choices. Maybe they mislead them last year  by winning 9 games when they thought they'd only win 5 or 6.

Admittedly they likely didn't think they'd be looking this bad. In hindsight they would have maybe been better developing some offense and some defense as opposed to all emphasis on one side.   But again, they likely didn't think they'd be anywhere this bad on offense either.

I think it goes something like this

Kim and Terry "This offense SUCKS!
Bean and McD "Kim and Terry we told you it was going to get worse before it got better and you hired us to get this done for you.   We did not anticipate how bad the QB play was going to be and we didnt think we would be replacing over half of the offensive line......but give us a chance to carry out our plan and if you dont like the product next season....we will fire ourselves"

Kim and Terry "Sigh......."

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

I see.....

If you did not live in the area and were spouting crap about not needing the team.....I would have a different message for you.

As it is.....you are definately in the minority of your thinking if you live in the area.....Pegula could have easily moved the team and frankly the NFL seemed to be encouraging it at the time.  This would not have bothered you but it DEF would have bother the ones that outnumber you.

Every Bills fan seems to dismiss the other Pro Team in town. The Sabres are a young and exciting team on their way up. 

27 minutes ago, vorpma said:

The important take away is the SB 1990's began in 1985, a 2-14 season and a process over a five year period. Over a 14 year period the Bills were in the playoffs 10 seasons (Just missing 1987, 1994, 1997, and 2000) and I remember all hell breaking lose when they lost a game despite ten win and over seasons. Great drafting, FA signings, and coaching made it happen just not overnight.

So McD must be Kay Stephenson. Guess we have to wait until week 4 next year for him to be fired. 

2 minutes ago, Jrb1979 said:

It seems a lot of the Bills fans don't follow hockey. Hockey is fast and entertaining sport. No down time between plays. 

I love hockey and there are signs the Sabres are coming to life....I just don't dismiss how awful they have been for the last 7-8 years. Buffalo fans should not have crappy teams most of the time

• Like (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, CuddyDark said:

It's not about the appointment. Terry wanted to watch tape. He wanted the GM to sit down and explain to him what he's looking at and how to evaluate players. He wanted to be involved in the football side for which he has zero expertise. It's meddling ownership and it almost always fails. Look around the league. The best owners understand they are not football people and take a step back to a guy running the show. So far Terry hires yes men.

this is what i fear, and what fans should be tuned into. The whole structure of coach and GM are separate entities and both report directly to ownership is folly.  IMO, with both teams, they need an exec between the Pegulas and GM-level to call the shots.  They had that with LaFontaine (although inexperienced) and he left due to some unknown hi-jinks (I have heard some rumors of what led to that).

When the Sabres and Bills were both without coaches/GMs a few years ago... Terry Pegula was very careful to assert himself (and Kim) into the decision process of everything, and how moving forward everything is going to be done in collaboration.  They did not want to cede control to an individual.

If this works out, great.  But if it doesnt, then they need to find help at the top.  Involved ownership will also lead to a shelf life of successful management because a catastrophic rift is only right around the corner. 

Edited by May Day 10

8 minutes ago, Jrb1979 said:

Every Bills fan seems to dismiss the other Pro Team in town. The Sabres are a young and exciting team on their way up. 

Really? They are the joke of the NHL. The worst record the past 7 seasons. Yes early in the season they are barely holding onto a playoff spot that could end one of the longest NHL droughts ever. 

Just now, ngbills said:

Really? They are the joke of the NHL. The worst record the past 7 seasons. Yes early in the season they are barely holding onto a playoff spot that could end one of the longest NHL droughts ever. 

And the Bills are that much better. It seems Bills fans just look at the Sabres record and don't even watch then play.  At least the Sabres look to be turning it around and are exciting to watch.