WHO DESERVES THE BLAME?? THE PEGULAS!

1 hour ago, Jrb1979 said:

A lot of you don't get it. Its not that they are losing that is upset them. Its the kind of football that is being played and not being competitive in games is another. In an era where offense is easy to come by and going that many games without a TD is embarrassing. Thats what a lot of fans are upset with. 

Shhh.  These people only see the world in severe black and white terms.  There is no room for subtlety or sophistication in their thought patterns.  It's part of what makes them knuckle draggers and mouth breathers.

You're wasting your keystrokes.

2 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

Shhh.  These people only see the world in severe black and white terms.  There is no room for subtlety or sophistication in their thought patterns.  It's part of what makes them knuckle draggers and mouth breathers.

You're wasting your keystrokes.

Right and on the other end of the spectrum we have people that even if the Bills were winning would probably think the other teams were just lulling them into a false sense of security.

On 11/5/2018 at 10:33 AM, hondo in seattle said:

I like ALynn but...   While some guys go to bed fantasizing about Playboy pinups,  McD fantasizes about having Phillip Rivers and a $170 million dollar  roster, instead of trotting out NP and the Bills talent-poor $127 million dollar roster.

Yep.   How some posters don't get the difference between Rivers and Allen/Anderson/Peterman is mind boggling...

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, RochesterRob said:

How do you guarantee something that you have no power over?  If you were in the business you could've put your resume into the Bills and actually know it what you are saying is true or not.  I'll give you the old ""if somebody were really capable they would already being doing it" argument.  Let's face it other than a small minority of posters here most are in jobs that would not lead someone to think that they were capable of anything other than the most menial of tasks.  Nobody is a janitor at a school because they choose to do so for the crap pay and dead end prospects.  Get your resume into OBD TODAY!!!!!

I would of drafted better then them for the past 20 years if I was in charge.  Maybe not the rounds after round three, but certainly the top two rounds.  A monkey throwing darts at a dart board could of drafted better then them.  I would of stayed away from Maybin, would of took McKinney over Williams, would not of taken Losman or Manuel.  Would not of passed on R Wilson.  Now obviously this just me talking but I was dead set against these moves at the time.  I watch a lot of college football.  I am not an expert, but I like to think I know what I am talking about.

22 minutes ago, Gordio said:

I would of drafted better then them for the past 20 years if I was in charge.  Maybe not the rounds after round three, but certainly the top two rounds.  A monkey throwing darts at a dart board could of drafted better then them.  I would of stayed away from Maybin, would of took McKinney over Williams, would not of taken Losman or Manuel.  Would not of passed on R Wilson.  Now obviously this just me talking but I was dead set against these moves at the time.  I watch a lot of college football.  I am not an expert, but I like to think I know what I am talking about.

On the surface I would agree that at least with the first rounders we could have done better but none of us were in on the analysis, evaluation, and interviews that put the Bills on the course that they followed with each one.  Maybe some of our first rounders would have panned out better if our coaches were more adaptable with players.  Wade Phillips generally fields a pretty good defense wherever he goes.  Too bad things did not work out differently with Wade for us.  He went back to Denver as a DC after some years prior as HC.  Maybe he would have been open to coming back here as a DC after a cooling off period.  Which would not have been long as the guy always seems laid back.  Anyways, I would bet a fair amount is on the coaches we had.  Chan seemed to be adaptable and he did a lot with very little talent. 

Edited by RochesterRob

19 hours ago, RochesterRob said:

On the surface I would agree that at least with the first rounders we could have done better but none of us were in on the analysis, evaluation, and interviews that put the Bills on the course that they followed with each one.  Maybe some of our first rounders would have panned out better if our coaches were more adaptable with players.  Wade Phillips generally fields a pretty good defense wherever he goes.  Too bad things did not work out differently with Wade for us.  He went back to Denver as a DC after some years prior as HC.  Maybe he would have been open to coming back here as a DC after a cooling off period.  Which would not have been long as the guy always seems laid back.  Anyways, I would bet a fair amount is on the coaches we had.  Chan seemed to be adaptable and he did a lot with very little talent. 

The Bills always try to act like they are the smartest guys in the room when they are a joke.  I read reports when the Bills selected Maybin & passed over Orakpo their were GMs openly laughing at that selection.  When it came down to picking Williams over McKinney, McKinney was the smart play.  Here was a guy that never gave up a sack in college, dominated Dwight Freeney at the Orange Bowl the season before.  He was the no brainer pick, but TD was going to show how smart he was.  He took a guy in Big Mike that never played LT in College, had weight problems & had some health issues.  That is just one fine example.

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Gordio said:

The Bills always try to act like they are the smartest guys in the room when they are a joke.  I read reports when the Bills selected Maybin & passed over Orakpo their were GMs openly laughing at that selection.  When it came down to picking Williams over McKinney, McKinney was the smart play.  Here was a guy that never gave up a sack in college, dominated Dwight Freeney at the Orange Bowl the season before.  He was the no brainer pick, but TD was going to show how smart he was.  He took a guy in Big Mike that never played LT in College, had weight problems & had some health issues.  That is just one fine example.

As I understood it Orakpo did not fit the defense we were running at the time.  McKinney had question marks in terms of attitude and had a couple off field issues when he was with the Vikings.  Not saying Maybin was a great choice and maybe the Bills just should have looked at somebody else.  Why worry about what other people think?  When you do well there still will be people who will be detractors and we know what happens when an obvious foulup happens.  The day when nobody is critical of what a given person does seldom happens.  Believe or not put downs existed before the internet and I remember the Bills put down pretty good during the mid-1980's and the same people were singing the team's praises when we were going to the Super Bowl every year.  Funny how that works.  

13 minutes ago, Gordio said:

Yeah and that's all on the Bills/owner.  :rolleyes:

3 minutes ago, Doc said:

Yeah and that's all on the Bills/owner.  :rolleyes:

Ralph has been gone for years (just saying that makes me realize just how old I am).  Maybe it is time to move on from things we can't change.  I still think adaptable coaches would have made a difference with most of the guys in the period being discussed.   Wade Phillips helped Denver win the SB with a thin defense talent-wise aside from Miller and Ware.  Stocking a team with 22 starting All Pros just does not happen.  At some point it is about the coach making good use of what is in the tool box.

On 11/7/2018 at 5:04 AM, simpleman said:

Is this sarcasm? Turnaround? From a rock bottom low the Pegula's set.

Last year I discussed the Pegula's failures. I compared the Sabres record before they acquired the team and then after. Utter failure. And this year we are only 16 games in and about 50/50 on wins. In the bottom half of the Division. This year it is way too early to see how the team will finish, or call it a turnaround. Getting better from a bar you yourself so low it is set located underground is not a turnaround. 

The Pegula's have made horrible coaching / GM choices for both the Sabres and the Bills.

And Pegula made his fortune by a lucky break in land / resource speculation. If it had not been for a new technology called fraking being advanced after he bought the speculation contracts, he would not be considered a successful businessman today. He did not gain success from managing a business or manufacturing a product. The Pegula's have definitely not shown an aptitude in their hiring decisions. Although in the Rich Mans owner's club called the NFL, once you are in,  it is hard to not be successful. No matter your business savvy or ineptitude.

Bill Gates wouldn't be successful if it wasn't for a new technology called computers.  Jeff Bezos wouldn't be successful if it wasn't for a new thing called the internet.  And so on.  Smart business people often pounce on emerging opportunities.  

Lots of folks saw the potential of fracking (not "fraking").  Only an elite few had the business acumen to build an organization that could take advantage of the opportunity as well as Terry.   It's not like Terry won the lottery because he's the world's luckiest SOB.  Terry saw an opportunity and had the industry know-how, entrepreneurship, and organizational leadership skills to take advantage.

The fact that he's a poor public speaker doesn't mean that he's an inept businessman.   He is, however, a relative rookie in the highly competitive field of professional sports.  Just like a rookie QB needs time to learn to play at this level, so does an owner.  Personally, I'm not worried.  

Remember it takes time to build a winning organizations and mistakes will inevitably be made.  Eddie DeBartola Jr bought the 49ers in 1977.  He went through 2 or 3 bad coaches and couple losing seasons before he hired Bill Walsh as coach.  Even with Walsh DeBartola suffered through 2 more losing seasons before the Lombardi Trophies started multiplying.  Five of them in all while DeBartola owned the team.    I encourage you to be patient.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

Bill Gates wouldn't be successful if it wasn't for a new technology called computers.  Jeff Bezos wouldn't be successful if it wasn't for a new thing called the internet.  And so on.  Smart business people often pounce on emerging opportunities.  

Lots of folks saw the potential of fracking (not "fraking").  Only an elite few had the business acumen to build an organization that could take advantage of the opportunity as well as Terry.   It's not like Terry won the lottery because he's the world's luckiest SOB.  Terry saw an opportunity and had the industry know-how, entrepreneurship, and organizational leadership skills to take advantage.

This is pure revisional history. Pegula made his money from land / resource speculation. He bought those contracts before fracking was around and before the discovery of deep layers of the Marcellus Formation, which were subsequently discovered by others and which were found to cover a massive multiple state area. . He did not do the fracking, or make anything. He had nothing to do with developing fracking technology. That all happened long after he acquired the property for conventional drilling speculation, which had turned out to be a failure. He had a lot of worthless contracts he got purely on speculation that he hoped to explore and possibly could drill for gas on, which he discovered he could not.

Then he lucked out with the development of fracking technology and the discovery of the massive formations of shale that existed not just on his holdings, but over massive areas.* He was simply in the right place at the right time to have his practically worthless contracts he purchased for conventional gas drilling suddenly become viable when  the new fracking technology was developed. He lucked into his fortune. He took a risk and was one of the few who won the lottery, not because of his skills or organizational leadership . He might not have been a Jeff Clampett discovering oil while shooting for some food, but he was no great visionary either.  He was however shrewd enough to realize he had all those previously worthless contacts that suddenly had became highly valuable, and he used his contacts from his past work history to be able to find buyers for them.  Bill gates and Jeff Bezos didn't just luck into their success as speculators, they were true visionaries and entrepreneurs who developed products. They were not failed speculators who got a couple of huge lucky breaks .There is no comparison between the them and Pegula.

* "He profited heavily upon discovery of deep layers of natural gas in the Marcellus Formation and development of the hydraulic fracturing ("fracking") recovery process.[18] Pegula eventually sold the Pennsylvania, New York, and Rocky Mountain assets of the company to Royal Dutch Shell for approximately $4.7 billion.[19] He sold the Ohio and West Virginia assets of the company to American Energy Partners, LP for $1.75 billion in 2014" 

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/7/2018 at 8:04 AM, simpleman said:

Is this sarcasm? Turnaround? From a rock bottom low the Pegula's set.

Last year I discussed the Pegula's failures. I compared the Sabres record before they acquired the team and then after. Utter failure. And this year we are only 16 games in and about 50/50 on wins. In the bottom half of the Division. This year it is way too early to see how the team will finish, or call it a turnaround. Getting better from a bar you yourself so low it is set located underground is not a turnaround. 

The Pegula's have made horrible coaching / GM choices for both the Sabres and the Bills.

And Pegula made his fortune by a lucky break in land / resource speculation. If it had not been for a new technology called fraking being advanced after he bought the speculation contracts, he would not be considered a successful businessman today. He did not gain success from managing a business or manufacturing a product. The Pegula's have definitely not shown an aptitude in their hiring decisions. Although in the Rich Mans owner's club called the NFL, once you are in,  it is hard to not be successful. No matter your business savvy or ineptitude.

You still want to call what I said Sarcasm after 5 straight wins and third place in the Atlantic, tied for fourth in the league. Turnaround, why yes it is. Do you still think Housley and Botterill are horrible HC's and Gm's? 

If you can't get excited about whats happening with the Sabres you either don't follow hockey or have some deep hatred for the Pegula's. 

Edited by Charlottebillsfan2
  • Like (+1) 1

On 11/5/2018 at 8:19 AM, billsfan61184 said:

This is my first post and it takes a lot for me to actually make a post but I have finally hit my breaking point.

All I hear about is trust the process, and we are creating a culture. I keep hearing we want the right players and people "onboard".   I have heard our head coach say that culture trumps strategy and talent.  I have listened to the same post game news conference for the last 25 weeks " We have to watch the tape and get better" Well guess what there hasn't been one game this year minus the Vikings game (which was basically the defense putting the offense in great positions) where this offense looked like it actually belonged in the NFL

Who are the first people we blame? Obviously its the HC and the GM but thru the last 9 weeks what we have put on the field is not football, its not even JV Football, its more like playing in the backyard with our friends, go to the car turn around and I will throw it to you. Unfortunately when we throw the ball it goes to the other team more often than our own. 

We have been embarrassed in 5 out of the 9 games and are the laughing stock of the NFL. Who are the only people we haven't heard from so far this season? The Pegulas!  Why are they getting a free pass? They are the only ones with the power to change things. I know we made the playoffs last year by a fluke. I can't believe that they are allowing this coach to stay and are overlooking what is easily becoming one of the worst seasons in the history of the Bills/NFL just because they broke the drought. Our fans come out every game and show their support and pad their pockets yet they have said and done nothing to show this type of football is unacceptable.  Until the Pegula's hold this Coach and GM responsible we will continue to see a offense born in the 1950's and when it inevitably fails the response will be "We thought we had the right guy to create a winning culture"

I'm sorry for the negativity but every fan at some point hits their breaking point and yesterday was it for me.

Are you feeling better now? 

BTW - unless you played or coached, I have no idea why you would be embarrassed. It’s a team you follow. I try to live my life not being overly concerned about things over which  I have no control. Try it, it’s hard at first, but then it’s pretty liberating! (NOT poking fun at you, I’m dead serious!) 

• Like (+1) 1

On November 7, 2018 at 12:18 PM, The_Dude said:

No, I'd love to watch hockey. It's just not a thing down here. I moved to Georgia when I was 10. I played pee-wee when I was 6, but I don't know the rules. I don't know the strategy. It's fun to watch though. If the Sabres get good, I'd be willing to buy the hockey deal from DirecTv. 

The Sabres just got good.

On ‎11‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 11:34 AM, RochesterRob said:

As I understood it Orakpo did not fit the defense we were running at the time.  McKinney had question marks in terms of attitude and had a couple off field issues when he was with the Vikings.  Not saying Maybin was a great choice and maybe the Bills just should have looked at somebody else.  Why worry about what other people think?  When you do well there still will be people who will be detractors and we know what happens when an obvious foulup happens.  The day when nobody is critical of what a given person does seldom happens.  Believe or not put downs existed before the internet and I remember the Bills put down pretty good during the mid-1980's and the same people were singing the team's praises when we were going to the Super Bowl every year.  Funny how that works.  

It is also funny how Joe Q Public could see the obvious when the Bills have been constantly oblivious to it.  Maybin was such a poor pick & there was so many warning signs.  He was like 3rd or 4th string at Penn ST until injuries got him into the lineup.  When he got in his last year at State, I believe he put up 10 sacks which is rexpectable, but.. 4 of those sacks came against an awful Temple team.  My friend who went to Penn State the instant they picked him said the Bills are going to regret that pick for years to come.  

On 11/7/2018 at 6:22 AM, The_Dude said:

STFU about that. We all knew Incognito was crazy — way to go pissing him off by messing with his money, Beane! And they had plenty of advanced notice on Woody. 

Guys like you who make excuses are the same guys who’ve been making excuses for years. McDumbass sucks. Beane sucks. And Terry definitely sucks. 

Why do I get the feeling that you also unironically use words like Killary, Libtard, and Obummer frequently?