WHO DESERVES THE BLAME?? THE PEGULAS!

7 minutes ago, May Day 10 said:

The Pegulas are involved too much.  They refuse/have refused to install a president or a 'strong' GM.  They insist on this model of they hire Coach, they hire GM, and they both report to ownership.  They have gone with inexperience.  Before making these hires for the Bills and Sabres, Pegula stood there and said how important it was to have collaboration on decisions (meaning their own). Terry Pegula was heavily involved with scouting draftable quarterbacks in 2018.  The Sabres have had a dubious history of management since 2011 including their team President lasting a few months before a strange resignation sealed away with strong NDAs.

I think it is unreasonable to expect that the owners of franchises will not have any involvement in the team.  Now, that of course doesn't mean Terry should be picking players, we had enough of that with Ralph at times.  But when you put 1.4 billion on the table you get the right to be involved.

As for their hirings, they're had painful experiences to be sure.  Some talk of having a layer above the current HC and GM, like a Director of Football operation or whatever.  I'm not sure that does anything but just add another layer.  would it really benefit much?  Coughlin took that job in JVille - worked OK last year but they're struggling this year.

The NFL, (not sure about the NHL) I know has structure where they have a council of former coaches, executives, that advise on guys who are ripe for HC positions.  I am sure Terry and Kim used that resource in deciding on McD.  Beane likewise was ripe for a GM shot.  Same with the Sabres; Botterill was ready after what he did it Pittsburgh and Housley was touted by many as being one of the top candidates for a HC spot.  Looking at each franchsie, they have realtively young, hungry guys that work well together.  And that's key; you have to have a GM and HC in synch to decide on how you want to play the game, what kids of players to draft, what kind of FAs to target, and such.

I have said in other threads but the Bills situation going into last year, and certainly this year, reminds me of the time right before Polian came on board.  When he did, he basically told Ralph he did not have god enough players to be successful, and that he had to start paying more money to get the right guys in.  And he hired a glorified special teams coach who's one shot in the NFL with the Chiefs failed, and that was coming out of Canada.  I remember scratching my head then, but it worked.  we will see whether a similar young first time GM for both our teams and their unproven as yet HCs, can do the same kind of thing going forward.

7 minutes ago, The_Dude said:

His results since becoming an owner. 

Oh. My. God. Yes, that’s why they suck. Do you not get it? Their “process,” is why we suck. Their decisions have all turned out to be bad. When you continually make wrong decisions you get a 2 win season. You act like everything they’ve done has been well thought out and that the currrent results were inevitable. That’s not the case. The case is the owner is an idiot. He hired an idiot coach. The idiot coach teamed up with an idiot GM. But hey, at least the culture is good and there’s a bible study. 

Calm down.  Then look up the payoff teams from last season.  Then pipe down and quit yelling out the word idiot as if it has any bearing and makes you magically correct.  Because it makes you sound like a , well.........., an ............

They made some difficult choices this season.  They wanted to clear cap space and they chose to do it quickly.  That was a conscious decision that affected things, and one can argue its merits.  They lost two really good linemen, and guys they had slotted in to replace them didn't measure up.  They brought a QB in as a FA that they thought would be a bridge to Allen, and he didn't work out.  They tried to sign some receivers in FA and lost out, tried to bring in high draft pick guys that had not performed elsewhere, and found out there's a reason they bombed out elsewhere.   They made decisions, several of them didn't work, they have to own that and they have to fix them this offseason.

But just stop with the name calling.  The same folks had a team no one thought would do anything last year and got them into the playoffs.  That didn't make them geniuses then anymore than the struggles this year make them what you keep howling at the moon about now. 

On ‎11‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 10:13 AM, RochesterRob said:

Last year was supposed to be the "tear it down and start the rebuild year" but we finished hot.  So this year serves that purpose.  We had some bad contracts to purge and 50M in dead cap.  How many teams are playoff caliber that have a similar cap problem?  None that I am aware of.  People think that we can get juice from a rock and it ain't happen'ed.  I understand people being upset at another lost season but there is a reason that nearly all of the people here are not working for a NFL team.  If it were as easy as some suggest our problems would have been fixed well before today.  I know that I am going to change very few minds here because it makes people feel good to criticize others without having to come up with real world solutions on their own.

Ah yes the old, Bills management knows more then the fans argument.  That maybe true but...if they would of listened over the past 20 years to this board I guaranty they would have made the playoffs more than once.  Just because they are professionals does not mean they know what they are doing.  

36 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Calm down.  Then look up the payoff teams from last season. 

....it was fun. It was nice the drought was broken. But that was a fluke. And this season is more of an illustration of what McD and Beane really are. They have a backwards, 1980s way of thinking. Enjoy the crappy football. You deserve it. 

34 minutes ago, The_Dude said:

....it was fun. It was nice the drought was broken. But that was a fluke. And this season is more of an illustration of what McD and Beane really are. They have a backwards, 1980s way of thinking. Enjoy the crappy football. You deserve it. 

Such a ray of sunshine.

30 minutes ago, Gordio said:

Ah yes the old, Bills management knows more then the fans argument.  That maybe true but...if they would of listened over the past 20 years to this board I guaranty they would have made the playoffs more than once.  Just because they are professionals does not mean they know what they are doing.  

How do you guarantee something that you have no power over?  If you were in the business you could've put your resume into the Bills and actually know it what you are saying is true or not.  I'll give you the old ""if somebody were really capable they would already being doing it" argument.  Let's face it other than a small minority of posters here most are in jobs that would not lead someone to think that they were capable of anything other than the most menial of tasks.  Nobody is a janitor at a school because they choose to do so for the crap pay and dead end prospects.  Get your resume into OBD TODAY!!!!!

3 hours ago, simpleman said:

Is this sarcasm? Turnaround? From a rock bottom low the Pegula's set.

Last year I discussed the Pegula's failures. I compared the Sabres record before they acquired the team and then after. Utter failure. And this year we are only 16 games in and about 50/50 on wins. In the bottom half of the Division. This year it is way too early to see how the team will finish, or call it a turnaround. Getting better from a bar you yourself so low it is set located underground is not a turnaround. 

The Pegula's have made horrible coaching / GM choices for both the Sabres and the Bills.

And Pegula made his fortune by a lucky break in land / resource speculation. If it had not been for a new technology called fraking being advanced after he bought the speculation contracts, he would not be considered a successful businessman today. He did not gain success from managing a business or manufacturing a product. The Pegula's have definitely not shown an aptitude in their hiring decisions. Although in the Rich Mans owner's club called the NFL, once you are in,  it is hard to not be successful. No matter your business savvy or ineptitude.

Wow most Bills fans don't even pay attention to the Sabres. All you look at is their record. Right now they are in a playoff spot and look to be turning it around. They are a much better team this season and are fun to watch unlike the Bills. 

1 hour ago, The_Dude said:

They will enjoy it. For some reason a lot of the old timers on this board love that kind of football. 

Edited by Jrb1979

13 minutes ago, Jrb1979 said:

Wow most Bills fans don't even pay attention to the Sabres. All you look at is their record. Right now they are in a playoff spot and look to be turning it around. They are a much better team this season and are fun to watch unlike the Bills. 

They will enjoy it. For some reason a lot of the old timers on this board love that kind of football. 

Again, it is amusing how many folks ignore Beane saying before the draft last year that you can't win in the league without a QB.  Or how they cherry pick a comment from McD this week about seeing some positives and somehow ignore th e statements about how your QB has to be consistently good to win.  They know they need more offense,  they know they need better QB play.

As an old timer I recognize that.  But yes, I do love smash mouth football and good defense and am sad the game is starting to turn into the collegiate circus like football.  I would say the end of the Tennessee game, even though a defensive game, was pretty damn exciting.

17 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Again, it is amusing how many folks ignore Beane saying before the draft last year that you can't win in the league without a QB.  Or how they cherry pick a comment from McD this week about seeing some positives and somehow ignore th e statements about how your QB has to be consistently good to win.  They know they need more offense,  they know they need better QB play.

As an old timer I recognize that.  But yes, I do love smash mouth football and good defense and am sad the game is starting to turn into the collegiate circus like football.  I would say the end of the Tennessee game, even though a defensive game, was pretty damn exciting.

Those type of games are few and far between. Smash mouth football and hitting guys coming across the middle are coming to an end.  Its either accept the new NFL or walk away from it. 

1 minute ago, Jrb1979 said:

Those type of games are few and far between. Smash mouth football and hitting guys coming across the middle are coming to an end.  Its either accept the new NFL or walk away from it. 

You're right.  Hate to see it happen though.

1 hour ago, oldmanfan said:

Such a ray of sunshine.

Yeah, just like the last 20 years of the most pathetic football ever.

41 minutes ago, Jrb1979 said:

I live out of state. I'm a Georgian now. We don't have hockey here. The only reason I know anything about the sabres is because of WGR.

1 minute ago, The_Dude said:

Yeah, just like the last 20 years of the most pathetic football ever.

I live out of state. I'm a Georgian now. We don't have hockey here. The only reason I know anything about the sabres is because of WGR.

Its a shame more football fans aren't hockey fans. Its one of the best sports in the world. Very fast paced sport. 

I wonder if its cause its too fast paced for most casual sports fans. There is no break in the action.  Football is very slow paced. You have time to take in the last play. 

First, people want a rebuild so we can get off the 7-9 treadmill. Then, they B word when they draft a QB and go through a mere half season of ugly. Then, they completely cast aside that the team actually broke the drought and made the playoffs last year. Fan base? Really? 

Go Bills

25 minutes ago, Jrb1979 said:

Its a shame more football fans aren't hockey fans. Its one of the best sports in the world. Very fast paced sport. 

I wonder if its cause its too fast paced for most casual sports fans. There is no break in the action.  Football is very slow paced. You have time to take in the last play. 

No, I'd love to watch hockey. It's just not a thing down here. I moved to Georgia when I was 10. I played pee-wee when I was 6, but I don't know the rules. I don't know the strategy. It's fun to watch though. If the Sabres get good, I'd be willing to buy the hockey deal from DirecTv. 

10 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

First, people want a rebuild so we can get off the 7-9 treadmill. Then, they B word when they draft a QB and go through a mere half season of ugly. Then, they completely cast aside that the team actually broke the drought and made the playoffs last year. Fan base? Really? 

Go Bills

A lot of you don't get it. Its not that they are losing that is upset them. Its the kind of football that is being played and not being competitive in games is another. In an era where offense is easy to come by and going that many games without a TD is embarrassing. Thats what a lot of fans are upset with. 

13 minutes ago, Jrb1979 said:

A lot of you don't get it. Its not that they are losing that is upset them. Its the kind of football that is being played and not being competitive in games is another. In an era where offense is easy to come by and going that many games without a TD is embarrassing. Thats what a lot of fans are upset with. 

We ALL know the 2018 Bills stink!! We all have eyes. There’s no debate. The discussion is whether this is/was a necessary purge to go through in order to get to the other side. One side would’ve preferred it was less ugly. The other side is willing to hold their nose. At this point the milk has already been spilled! 

• Thank you (+1) 1