WHO DESERVES THE BLAME?? THE PEGULAS!

58 minutes ago, pop gun said:

So you're saying he told the Pegulas they would be epically bad and the Pegulas were a okay with it? 

I actually hope they told them to expect a really bad team, because if they thought this team was going to be good, I would be worried about their assessment of talent.

16 minutes ago, SoTier said:

Exactly. 

Note to Terry and Kim:  Anthony Lynn, who wasn't good enough for you, took the mediocre/can't win the big ones Chargers and got them to 9-7 years last season.  This season, they are 6-2 and have only lost to the Rams and Chiefs ... and Lynn's crew are 2-0 against McDermott and his sorry-assed offense.  He did that by building on what he had inherited on both sides of the ball, not tearing everything down to bring in "his guys".

Note to SoTier:

Two words:  Phillip Rivers.

Just now, hondo in seattle said:

Other teams have QBs too.   Not all cap space or players are created equal.   Comparatively speaking, the Bills have a LOT of cap space the next couple years.

They have a lot of cap space but still no way to get a Franchise QB. We all can pray and hope Allen is the answer but if not there are no Options in FA for a Franchise QB in 2019 or 2020 that aren't over 35 years old.  Which leaves us to continually have to waste high draft picks hoping we can land the next Aaron Rodgers or Tom Brady and hoping we can fill all our other holes thru Free Agency

2 minutes ago, billsfan61184 said:

They have a lot of cap space but still no way to get a Franchise QB. We all can pray and hope Allen is the answer but if not there are no Options in FA for a Franchise QB in 2019 or 2020 that aren't over 35 years old.  Which leaves us to continually have to waste high draft picks hoping we can land the next Aaron Rodgers or Tom Brady and hoping we can fill all our other holes thru Free Agency

If Allen doesn’t work out then nothing else matters. McDermott and Beane will be gone. Everyone knows this.

11 minutes ago, clearwater cadet said:

This team is exactly what everyone thought it would be.  Why is everyone surprised?  What they shouldn't have done is force Allen into playing too early, and they should have had a should veteran QB for day 1 to mentor him, and a real NFL type offensive line.  Even if they did that they would still be 2-7 at this point.  Those whole rebuild has nothing to do with coaching it has to do with QB play.  Were gonna end up with a top 3 pick, I would take another Qb and continue to take one until you fine your franchise guy.  I'm not saying Allen not him, but you need to be sure.  Nothing will go forward without it.  If we end up with two quality guys, good trade one. 

That's true, but they missed on AJ and instead of taking a mentoring role, he pushed for a trade (can't blame him). I think with the plan they have, the AJ signing made sense, seemed like it should work, and so did the decision to trade.

It's the not bringing someone in earlier to hedge against this situation that is the issue.

• Like (+1) 1

I think with the whole Rex thing, Pegula wanted to take a chance.  As much as everyone wants to deny it Buffalo isn't on the top of the player destination list, and when they do come we have to over pay and that limits our ability to improve the supporting cast.  Rex was a big name and a players coach, and deny it if you want but everyone was excited.  Pegula said let sign Rex and the rest will come.  Well it didn't work out that why, and now were back to begging for players and taking chances.  I one constant in all this is Qb play.  Until we draft a franchise guy nothing will ever change, maybe it Allen, maybe it not.  I hope it is because this constant losing is unbearable. 

the QB thing is always a convenient excuse as if it is some external factor thats inflicted on this franchise.

Kansas City was very competitive with Alex Smith, who could have been had by the Bills.  Once they got a huge upgrade (who was available to the Bills), Alex Smith was available again, was acquired by the Redskins (to replace a good QB the Bills could have drafted), and now the Redskins are leading their Division.

The Bills can never get it right.  Due to the investment and fearing the optics, they will put all the eggs in Allen's basket for 1, maybe 2 more seasons, likely punting on opportunities to acquire competent veteran QBs and punting on drafting new one(s).  

6 minutes ago, billsfan61184 said:

They took a qb with the 7th overall pick this year?!

Continually using high draft picks on qbs?! When was the last high pick they used on a qb? Was that Sammy Watkins, CJ Spiller, Donte Whitner?

10 minutes ago, billsfan61184 said:

Saying we have continually wasted high draft picks on QBs pretty much shows you have no idea about the history of the Buffalo Bills

2 minutes ago, May Day 10 said:

the QB thing is always a convenient excuse as if it is some external factor thats inflicted on this franchise.

Kansas City was very competitive with Alex Smith, who could have been had by the Bills.  Once they got a huge upgrade (who was available to the Bills), Alex Smith was available again, was acquired by the Redskins (to replace a good QB the Bills could have drafted), and now the Redskins are leading their Division.

The Bills can never get it right.  Due to the investment and fearing the optics, they will put all the eggs in Allen's basket for 1, maybe 2 more seasons, likely punting on opportunities to acquire competent veteran QBs and punting on drafting new one(s).  

So for years people barked about the Bills never going all in to get their QB.  They did so this year, and now all of a sudden we need to get a veteran QB that has never gotten a team close to the Super Bowl because that is the correct answer.

Make up your minds, folks.

2 minutes ago, May Day 10 said:

Interesting, but I'd say fear of optics pre-McBeane put them in this situation. Seems to me they have identified a set of traits that in combination, they believe, will work well together. Not just culture, but they have certain tangible physical skill sets they are looking for, and search for those players within tiers of value. Guessing that is how they hit on Milano, and Johnson and others.

1 hour ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

Well, they own the franchise, and it's their right to decide on how to address it. 

The only question remaining for me is if the plan truly was to tear it all down and start again.  As painful as it is to watch yet another lost season--an experience that repeats itself on a decades-long pace in WNY--if that was the plan, then it would be irresponsible for the Pegulas to get cold feet now. If this was the plan as sold--break it down build it up and we're going to pay on year one or two, then see it through. 

As bad as they are, playing marginally better and winning 5 games doesn't make December any better. Winning 8, same deal. On the other hand, if by now the plan was to be competitive, well decisions have to be made.

As for the fans coming, my only thought is that if the product sucks, less money should be spent. I know there are fans with season tix, I pay for DirecTV and travel to some home games, but this product blows, so other than the social/family aspect--which is great--i can always fast forward to the end. Ironically, with this team the end is usually midway through the first quarter. 

Last year was supposed to be the "tear it down and start the rebuild year" but we finished hot.  So this year serves that purpose.  We had some bad contracts to purge and 50M in dead cap.  How many teams are playoff caliber that have a similar cap problem?  None that I am aware of.  People think that we can get juice from a rock and it ain't happen'ed.  I understand people being upset at another lost season but there is a reason that nearly all of the people here are not working for a NFL team.  If it were as easy as some suggest our problems would have been fixed well before today.  I know that I am going to change very few minds here because it makes people feel good to criticize others without having to come up with real world solutions on their own.

Hard to believe that billionaire owners are so completely clued out about the biz (multiple) that they own- but obviously this is appears to be the case.

Just the ONE disastrous choice of light years ahead offensive talent with photographic memory- McVey, over some 1960s defensive talent like McDermott!

OMG- it's 2018 and EVERY single rule has been transformed the NFL to favour the Offense and the idiot GM, with the obvious approval of the OWNER, gives away ALL of the team's O talent. 

And then deals some of its draft assets to acquire Trash like Benjamin.

The result? The worst O ever, with Sunday Bar League Receivers!

A 'process' succeeds, when you don't dig yourself a hole half way to China! We have to be deluded in believing that Mr. Bean is simply going to have New England level examination of talent and suddenly hit a HR on EVERY draft pick!

Every one- for two years! NOBODY other than the Pegulas believe that. OBD has done horrific drafting- for a Millenium.

2) Let's go to the Cap Space argument. Why would any serious, star FA join this tire fire train wreck? Terry, guess you didn't think about that! And, it's not that you need 1-2 fill ins, you need 3WRs, a TE, a RB, a Center, a Guard. 

FFS, what a FUBAR! 

26 minutes ago, HardyBoy said:

Are the two situations even remotely the same?! The Chargers historically have under achieved with good rosters and a well managed cap, the Bills have historically exceed expexlctations to reach 7-9 with a bunch of short term fixes and that lead to a busted cap situation.

The Bills roster ( certainly compared to the current mess) was pretty good during the Marrone/ Ryan years with the glaring exception of the QB position. The roster as it stands is an absolute joke. 

8 minutes ago, HardyBoy said:

They took a qb with the 7th overall pick this year?!

Continually using high draft picks on qbs?! When was the last high pick they used on a qb? Was that Sammy Watkins, CJ Spiller, Donte Whitner?

The point was if Allen doesn't work out, we are going to be left to yet again use a high pick on a QB and hope it works out again.  Where else are you going to get a Franchise QB? Free Agency? Trade? Good luck

2 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

The Bills roster ( certainly compared to the current mess) was pretty good during the Marrone/ Ryan years with the glaring exception of the QB position. The roster as it stands is an absolute joke. 

Whaley man, Whaley! EJ and Watkins are his legacy that fans kill him for to the day.

Dude was a above average QB and coach not named Ryan from good things here. 

1 hour ago, pop gun said:

IMO the Pegulas were misled and lied to from these two clowns, I guess you could blame them for being nice people that are too naive and gullible.  

Or maybe the Pegulas are lousy interviewers who keep getting smitten by neanderthals like Rex & McDermott...football lifers who think that you have to ground and pound in "snowy, blue collar Buffalo." Ugh. Seems to me that the 'K-Gun' operated  just fine in the same stadium. How about the "poor Pegulas" are held accountable here rather than portrayed as victims who were taken by a couple of snake oil salesmen? The Pegs are responsible for getting the right football minds in place. How about starting with an offensive-minded guy who understands that it's the 2018 version of the NFL and not the 1978 version?! You don't need a coach who has to "look at the tape" to understand that. I'm not advocating firings at this point but this front office is doing something far worse than losing...they are causing apathy among their own fan base. Thanks for saving the franchise, Terry & Kim, but the honeymoon is over. Time to start righting the ship and putting this shite show in the rear view mirror. 

1 hour ago, pop gun said:

IMO the Pegulas were misled and lied to from these two clowns, I guess you could blame them for being nice people that are too naive and gullible.  

Not really. When they fired Whaley Terry said it was because Whaley wouldn't allow him to walk in the building and talk football whenever he wanted to. He said with Beane/McDermott he can just show up and they'll stop what they're doing to talk football with him. Said Whaley made him have appointment. So some of the hiring process is whoever makes them feel good. Same with Rex. Rex was good at talking them up. Some of it has to be on the owners for the type of people they want to hire. They need this kiss ass culture where ownership is worshipped. I can't ever see them hiring a football man who does his job and tells them he's got it. Looking at their hires so far I'd say this is the type of organization they want.

Same as Ralph. Same as Jerry Jones. Some owners want credit and could never deal with a coach like Belichick or Jimmy Johnson. A lot of owners are very smart people and just can't imagine something they put so much into is too hard for them to control. They're controlling personalities and in their lives being controlling got them to a position of NFL ownership.

Edited by CuddyDark