WHO DESERVES THE BLAME?? THE PEGULAS!

7 minutes ago, billsfan61184 said:

You can credit them with making the right choice on Jason Botterill for GM. He came in here and got rid of the dead weight and brought in players that can play in today's NHL. He came in analyzed and addressed the biggest needs in the organization in less than two years. That is complete opposite of what I have seen from Beane.  We got rid of good players who can play in today's NFL because they weren't good character guys or had bad contracts. all I have seen from Beane is how many former Carolina Panthers can we bring in

Im not ready yet to accept Botterill (jury is out), but I will admit some moves are looking very strong.  Sheary and Skinner change the pace of the whole team (Botterill will be tested with Skinner's upcoming UFA status).  Pominville has actually been a good acquisition for Ennis and Foligno (even though Scandella was the target).  Needs to draft well, but I fully agree on the emphasis on development and having a strong farm, and Rochester looks really good.

With that said, things can go south real quick as we saw last season was a franchise rock-bottom.

I don't get all the anger.

Just look at roster spending.  Just listen to Beane when he talks.  The plan is clear.  And according to the plan, this is a rebuilding year.

Beane certainly told something like this to Terry and Kim, "First, I'm going to get rid of the players with bad attitudes and bloated contracts.  That'll create a lot of dead money in 2018 and things could get ugly.  We'll start building things the right way in 2019."

When you remodel a building, the first phase is called "demo."  Guys come in and start demolishing things.  Then different guys come in and make everything beautiful.  The Bills are still in the demo phase.  You can't judge the remodel yet.  

In the business world, we call this  the  "J" curve.  When a new leader comes in, things often get worse before the get better.   We're at the bottom of the J curve.

I have little idea how good Beane is - he's only had one draft so far and he's in the ugly part of his plan.  

I have little idea how good McD is - he has the lowest paid, least talented roster in the NFL.  Of course he's losing more than he's winning.  

And btw nobody who knows football says culture trumps talent.  What smart people are saying is that you want both to build a championship team.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, May Day 10 said:

There are also certain troubling personnel moves (like trading Darby for Matthews and acquiring that tub of rocks Kelvin Benjamin they should have known he was a soft simpleton).

For the record, Darby was traded for Matthews AND Harrison Phillips.

Personally, I’d rather have four years of Phillips than two years of Darby.

"Culture doesn't matter" ~ random Bills fan.

"Culture precedes positive results" ~ Bill Walsh.

That quote comes from page 25 of his book.  He goes on to say, "Champions behave like champions before they're champions."  In other words, champions think, practice and behave differently. 

Walsh spent his first year getting ride  of the "malcontents, underachieves and unmotivated."  The team went 2-14.  

J curve.  We all know what happened next.  

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Kwai San said:

I wonder how much the Pegs are actually holding peoples feet to the fire?  Perhaps they learned from the Sabres that the Bill need a #1 pick??  Who knows??

In the NFL you dont need a 1 overrall to win. You need vision, talent recognition, coaching, and a franchis QB- the Pats, GB, Chargers, Seahawks etc havent drafted 1 overall in a long time- if ever for some.

• Thank you (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, May Day 10 said:

acquiring that tub of rocks Kelvin Benjamin they should have known he was a soft simpleton).

This is a huge sticking point for me as well, Beane was with Carolina when KB was there, how did they not know his persona and lack of hustle? Bad choice to bring into the fold with younger QBs.

7 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

I don't get all the anger.

Just look at roster spending.  Just listen to Beane when he talks.  The plan is clear.  And according to the plan, this is a rebuilding year.

Beane certainly told something like this to Terry and Kim, "First, I'm going to get rid of the players with bad attitudes and bloated contracts.  That'll create a lot of dead money in 2018 and things could get ugly.  We'll start building things the right way in 2019."

When you remodel a building, the first phase is called "demo."  Guys come in and start demolishing things.  Then different guys come in and make everything beautiful.  The Bills are still in the demo phase.  You can't judge the remodel yet.  

In the business world, we call this  the  "J" curve.  When a new leader comes in, things often get worse before the get better.   We're at the bottom of the J curve.

I have little idea how good Beane is - he's only had one draft so far and he's in the ugly part of his plan.  

I have little idea how good McD is - he has the lowest paid, least talented roster in the NFL.  Of course he's losing more than he's winning.  

And btw nobody who knows football says culture trumps talent.  What smart people are saying is that you want both to build a championship team.

Am I wrong to think a lot of people on here are reactionary day traders, with thin stomachs, a severe lack of vision, and an oversized amount of sky is falling group think that goes in the face of all the data showing the desired milestones are being hit? 

I don't remember it being like that here before, at least not on this scale, and I've been here since 2007ish. Really interesting and at the same time concerning, because I think it talks more about our overall lack of patience as a society, than specifically this fanbase.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Why must it be torn down?  Why not get an offensive mind to fix the Offense and go forward ala the Rams??

Exactly. 

Note to Terry and Kim:  Anthony Lynn, who wasn't good enough for you, took the mediocre/can't win the big ones Chargers and got them to 9-7 years last season.  This season, they are 6-2 and have only lost to the Rams and Chiefs ... and Lynn's crew are 2-0 against McDermott and his sorry-assed offense.  He did that by building on what he had inherited on both sides of the ball, not tearing everything down to bring in "his guys".

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, billsfan61184 said:

All I hear about is trust the process, and we are creating a culture. I keep hearing we want the right players and people "onboard".   I have heard our head coach say that culture trumps strategy and talent.  I have listened to the same post game news conference for the last 25 weeks " We have to watch the tape and get better" Well guess what there hasn't been one game this year minus the Vikings game (which was basically the defense putting the offense in great positions) where this offense looked like it actually belonged in the NFL.

giphy.gif

4 minutes ago, SoTier said:

Exactly. 

Note to Terry and Kim:  Anthony Lynn, who wasn't good enough for you, took the mediocre/can't win the big ones Chargers and got them to 9-7 years last season.  This season, they are 6-2 and have only lost to the Rams and Chiefs ... and Lynn's crew are 2-0 against McDermott and his sorry-assed offense.  He did that by building on what he had inherited on both sides of the ball, not tearing everything down to bring in "his guys".

Yep remember the other guy that tore things down to get his guys here in Buffalo was fired after two years of AVG results. 

But guess McD gets more years because he is a “good guy” of faith. 

Edited by MAJBobby

2 minutes ago, SoTier said:

Exactly. 

Are the two situations even remotely the same?! The Chargers historically have under achieved with good rosters and a well managed cap, the Bills have historically exceed expexlctations to reach 7-9 with a bunch of short term fixes and that lead to a busted cap situation.

This team is exactly what everyone thought it would be.  Why is everyone surprised?  What they shouldn't have done is force Allen into playing too early, and they should have had a should veteran QB for day 1 to mentor him, and a real NFL type offensive line.  Even if they did that they would still be 2-7 at this point.  Those whole rebuild has nothing to do with coaching it has to do with QB play.  Were gonna end up with a top 3 pick, I would take another Qb and continue to take one until you fine your franchise guy.  I'm not saying Allen not him, but you need to be sure.  Nothing will go forward without it.  If we end up with two quality guys, good trade one. 

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, SoTier said:

Exactly. 

All true. And I don’t take anything away from Lynn who should garner some CotY attention, but it sure helps when you inherit a Hall of Fame QB. 

• Like (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, billsfan61184 said:

Exactly!!!

And I put that on Pegula's. There is no way Beane should be answering to McD. If Beane is the GM he should be in control.  If Mcdermott was as successful as someone like Belichek or Andy Reid, etc I could understand. Mcdermott has not proven anything to be given the type of power he was given and that mistake falls on the Pegula's.

Beane answers to Terry and Kim. Not McDermott.

15 minutes ago, SoTier said:

Exactly. 

You really think the two rosters - specifically the quarterback position - are comparable?

• Like (+1) 1