How would you fix the Offense?

PatsFanNH

1.  Step off the ledge and understand progress will come at the individual level this year.

2.  Commit to Dabol for the next 24 games.

3. Play the likes of Teller, Boettger, Cam Phillips, Jordan Phillips and the rest of the kids as situations allow.

4. Protect Josh Allen; he shouldn't see the field until he is 100%

5.  Continue to scour the wire and practice squads.  Guys that interest me include Dorian Johnson, Bucky Hodges,  Deon Cain, and Antonio Pierce.

Offseason.

1.  Fire Castillo, Cully and Robiskie. Spend millions to get the right people.  Sean Kugler jumps out at me for OL

2. Sign AJ Cann (OG-JAX) and Daryl Williams (RT-CAR)

3. Sign Demarryius Thomas, likely at a premium.  We need a guy who has a wide radius and, more importantly, a leader in this group who can groom our kids.

4. Look for a value at the QB position; we need a mentor like Fitz/McCown.

5.  Sign Jordan Phillips and the others who have show some potential in reserves.

6. Unless given the opportunity to get a Bosa, look to trade down for depth.

7. Draft a WR who you believe can be a #1-2.

8. Repeat #7

9. Draft depth at G/C/T/CB/OLB

10.  Remember, this was a full rebuild and keep our powder dry for the 2020 class if there isn't value available (i.e., short term/low cap impact deals).

11.  Turn some of the scouting staff as necessary.

This is the best I've got... 

Edited by N.Y. Orangeman

5 minutes ago, nucci said:

why do I have to mention names? I'm answering the post...I feel we need an experienced OC.. I would have preferred McVay or Shanahan as HC over McDermott. 

Because that is the thought process of typical fans, just hire a successful OC. And I totally forgot that this thread was a hypothetical hahaha.

3 hours ago, jr1 said:

they need to get rid of Castillo and the fake QB coach

Castillo and our wr/qb coach Culley are worthless. Crossman is a joke. Daboll is mediocre but his players all need to be replaced after Allen, Zay and maybe Dawkins. The fans might as well embrace the tank because it is here whether we like it or not.

2 hours ago, iinii said:

In a who to fire thread I said I believe this is the place to start. Even with more better weapons Daboll is not the man for the job. He doesn’t have the experience or expertise to mentor Allen, build a dominant Offense (like Andy Reid), or take us to the top. 

You (metaphorically speaking) may say but he won at Alabama and has a ring with NE. Those teams didn’t win because of him, they won because he worked for two of the best in the business. Daboll is an out of position, position coach. 

Daboll is right on par for what he has done in the league as an OC up to this point.... Who the hell looked at his resume and said "this is the guy for the job"?  McD is a defensive minded coach - he needs a strong OC, not someone from the bottom of the barrel.

dab.JPG

Edited by Azucho98
  • Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, PatsFanNH said:

I see a lot of negativity (and rightfully so) but how would you fix the O? This is what I would do..

this year:

1. Bench Peterman he just isn’t that good.

2. Max protect on every pass play give the QB (Barkley) as much time as possible to find a receiver.

3. Enficize ball security!! It is better to punt and trust your top 10 D to stop them than to give the other team a short field. 

4. More screen passes

this wont fix it this year but will make the games competitive

I would emphasize spelling first and foremost.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, PatsFanNH said:

I see a lot of negativity (and rightfully so) but how would you fix the O? This is what I would do..

this year:

1. Bench Peterman he just isn’t that good.

2. Max protect on every pass play give the QB (Barkley) as much time as possible to find a receiver.

3. Enficize ball security!! It is better to punt and trust your top 10 D to stop them than to give the other team a short field. 

4. More screen passes

this wont fix it this year but will make the games competitive

There is no fixing the offense this season. Moves will be made in the offseason.

6 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Tom Brady would look bad with the WR dropsies and fumbles this team makes. 

Suggestions?   

Not sure there are any out there.  

Maybe just try something really creative and out of the box to see if it changes anything, because doing what they are doing isn't working.  And they keep doing it.

The way I see it, with the defensive mind of McD, I feel like he has his paws on everything and wont allow any Off. Coor. to do his job.  I noticed that Allen was tamed down after a couple weeks of what some would term "hero ball".  I don't think McD is in modern times when it comes to the NFL.  Need to pass every damn play :)

8 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

Don't fire coaches unless you want to see this  team continually spin its wheels.

1. Linemen.  Spend cap dollars on linemen.  Yesterday the line was just pathetic.

2.  WR.  Say goodbye to KB.  Draft a WR early and get one in FA.

3.  Get Allen back under center.  Until then you're treading water.

4.  Start transitioning from Shady.  Put him and Ivory on the field together, split him out , use him in jet sweeps.  But make Ivory the guy in one back lineups.

It will be critical we hit on at least 2 good FA lineman. At least 2 wrs, 1 RB & 1 TE in the draft. Keep Ivory and Murphy. Keep Zay and Crooms and everyone else not named Allen is expendable. 

Can't be fixed this season and cutting guys means replacing them with worse options. Firing guys and expecting a new coach to polish a turd in 7 games is a laughable idea.

But here's how to do it in the off-season.

1. Open the wallet and spend every waking minute in January-early March in FA research and find at least 3 high quality starters on the line, regardless of position. They can all be replaced, but maybe someone sees value in Dawkins, who was owned yesterday.

2. Fill out the remaining 1-2 OL positions in the draft, and early. This gives you 4-5 new starters. 

3. Get rid of the WR coach masking as  QB coach, which is maybe the most stunning of the team-building blunders this team and coach have tried to fool the masses with. 

4. Upgrade all WRs except Zay Jones. 

The biggest problems with this coach and GM is the absolute ignorant/arrogant way they approached the need for drafting a franchise QB, which was clear when they traded TT, and then refusing to address the OL despite selling everyone on the idea that teams are built from the lines out. It's absolutely stunning how they could think that Russell Bodine, the lowest rated center in the NFL last year, would be a good choice when they knew they were drafting a rookie QB and he could potentially play. Or that Ducasse and Mills and Miller were worthy of starting anywhere other than the CFL. Remember, they told us it was an open competition and if we're to believe that, then all along they had in their mind they could start a rookie QB.  

The last 7 days were the end of my belief in McDermott. I felt like he got it, he understood that brains and character (the combination or hard work, dedication and accountability to the team) matter. But his raging hard-on for players of faith is a major blind spot and will cost him his job. That shouldn't even be a consideration. You can get the same character without the blind faith in fiction. So I went from rooting for him to waiting for his demise. Can't get behind the faith-based approach to building ANYTHING other than a church.

trade the likely top 5 pick for a bunch of goodies this year. Gotta be 2019 draft goodies. Pick up an extra 2nd and 3rd or something to that effect. Or be like this year's Colts and have 18 picks in the second round (slight hyperbole).

Then, draft 2 WR, a center, a guard, and a RB (late, not until round 4 or later).

Round 1: WR

Round 2: WR

Round 2: LB/CB

Round 3: RB/WR/TE

Round 3: G/C (if value is there) otherwise LB or DB

This would give the team 2 (hopefully) solid rookie WR prospects, some OL help, and another offensive weapon in the RB or TE.

Then in free agency sign another mid-range WR (Golden Tate type player) and another OL.

Do all that, and if Allen is good this offense will be WAY different.

11 hours ago, Estro said:

Fire Sean McDermott.  

The man has shown he has no semblance of identifying or developing offensive talent.  

His firing would be step 1 in any serious effort to get this team back on the rails.

I hate to agree with you on this but at this point it looks like the only solution. Replace him with DC Leslie Frazier. Fire the OC and replace him with the WR coach Robiskie. 

Still no discipline on this team with this past week 10 penalties for 163 yards. This year 70 penalties for 642 yards and most of those by the offense. The drive killing stupidity that surrounds this years team.

22 hours ago, PatsFanNH said:

Umm the big player for the Bears is Mack, that man is a difference maker on the D side of the ball. I find Trubesky (?) as an average QB.  The Rams look amazing but that is all Gurley. You stop Gurley you have a good chance beat them (see Saints) they have a small window 2-3 years before it implodes as they will have to pay Goff. 

I want my team be built like the Steelers, built for always being in contention and very rare have a bad season. (In their case it is consistency and staying with coaches. I think they have had like 5 or 6 coaches total??)

I hear you .. but the Steelers are more Big Ben than coaching and RB talent and WR talent acquired via the draft that is miles beyond what we've been able to draft in same timeframe.

Recent Example ... 2017 Draft - Ju Ju Smith Schuster - 2nd Round / James Connor 3rd Round

• Like (+1) 1