How would you fix the Offense?

PatsFanNH

The combination of a GM who is bad at evaluating offensive talent with a bad to mediocre OC who cannot adjust his schemes to the players on the roster is a total disaster. Firing Daboll would be a good start but Beane is completely at fault for assembling this burning pile of manure on offense. He needs to go as well. Derek Anderson as a solution to the QB issues has to be the worst idea of this regime.

For starters......

1) Fire up the grill under Daboll's seat

2) Replace some of the position coaches (QB, WR, OL)

3) Rebuild the O-line

4) Upgrade the WR position

5) Bring in a more serviceable veteran backup QB.

Edited by BmarvB

31 minutes ago, Epstein's Mother said:

I think the punt on first down idea is better.  Peterman didn't know enough to throw the Hail Mary on the last play of the first half.

I think he was afraid he wouldn't reach the end zone

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, aristocrat said:

This year isn’t possible.  Sign leveon bell, tyrell Williams, Daryl williams right tackle. Nkeal Harry first round, center second round. Guard third. 

HARD NO to bell.  He would suck behind this line.  His move is a hesisitation and hit the hole. 

I'd take Coleman from Atlanta over Bell.  Otherwise, I like the T. Williams, and OL.  N. Harry in the first round, esp. if we trade down to get him would be good. 

Tank this season once and for all, use draft picks and cap money to build around Allen. I really don't think the coaching is the issue at this point. The team is absolutely devoid of talent on offense. You won't see 90% of the guys we release in the off season play for another team.

3 hours ago, Azucho98 said:

FIRE DABOLL

In a who to fire thread I said I believe this is the place to start. Even with more better weapons Daboll is not the man for the job. He doesn’t have the experience or expertise to mentor Allen, build a dominant Offense (like Andy Reid), or take us to the top. 

You (metaphorically speaking) may say but he won at Alabama and has a ring with NE. Those teams didn’t win because of him, they won because he worked for two of the best in the business. Daboll is an out of position, position coach. 

Here are my suggestions, in this order (only personnel.  I would also get a QB, OL coach, and perhaps new OC):

(1) Sign Bridgewater.  Now, a competent vet for Allen to learn from.   He is a FA after this season, and we can outbid others for him with our cap space. 

(2) Sign best FA Center available (unless he is not a "top caliber" center.  Then draft one.  No point in signing another Bodine/Gory)

(3) Sign  at least one of:  Geronomio. Allison,  R. Cobb, Golden Tate, Cole Beasley, John Brown, Deonte Thompson,  T. Williams. 

(4) Sign one of: Coleman, Ingram, L. Murry. 

Draft what you didn't get above, but don't reach.  Either trade-down or take BPA. 

Edited by RyanC883

There is no fixing this offense. Not this year. Next year Daboll should be gone, McD should be given one more draft. What he does or not does at OC will ultimately determine his fate. I don't like Daboll but who else could McD hire at this point? Nobody credible. No one will come here and I really really think the only way to turn this franchise around is to pluck a QB coach or OC from the Rams, Chiefs or Eagles and pair him with Allen is the only way to fix this offense. I'd keep Leslie Frazier and all of our defensive staff to continue to build a culture on defense, everyone else gone. This probably won't happen until next off-season though, but I do think it's going to happen. How can McD get out of this? He is on the hot seat, Daboll is terrible and that's who he's stuck with, it's just a matter of time at this point.

5 hours ago, Rock'em Sock'em said:

- Play your best lineman for the rest of this year.

- Play the young skill guys.

- Keep developing Allen when ready and ahemmm... Peterman, if he's even in our next years plans.

- In the draft, trade down/up and draft 2 offensive lineman and 2 WRs in the first two rounds.

- Overpay for an established pro-bowl caliber WR or trade a 2020 2nd rounder for one.  I'm thinking Brandon Cooks type move here.

- Keep Daboll around at least another year.

I believe the dearth of offensive talent is the biggest issue, followed closely by inexperienced QB play.

Other than the defense's vast improvement, this year is no big surprise to anybody, is it?

Yep, good post.

I have no problem with others ranting and raving, it’s fun to do, especially when things are going bad. Me, I just look back to Allen in the Vikings game and imagine him next year with more experience, a much better OL and much better WRs.:thumbsup:

It's all about Allen at this point, so...

1) Get Josh Allen a QB mentor that will be here for 4 or so years and get him a QB coach that does more than chew gum at an alarmingly fast rate.

2) I saw Sirles get some time yesterday, didn't hear about an injury to Mills, so keep that up and find out what we have in reserve on the oline, especially when it won't get Allen killed. I would say the same for wr, but I don't think we have anyone talented enough. I guess just see if Pryor is worth a contract next season.

3) In the off season, find Josh Allen a go to receiver that is tall, has greater than a 5" vertical and wants to win a jump ball with a 5' 10" guy (I'm looking at you KB). If Pryor does work out and we find a go to target, our top three wr wouldn't be terrible. 

4) Get someone to evaluate offensive players, in the front office and the field. The folks that decided Nate Peterman and Ryan Groy were starters coming out of camp should be demoted/replaced with folks who know what they're talking about or just overrule them.  Beane needs to hire someone to tell him what offensive pro personnel to sign because he's not doing a good enough job.

5) After that, for me, it's about the oline. In the draft we may be high enough to get a pass rusher in the first and I'm okay with that, but you better hit on 2nd and 3rd round guys for the offense and at least one of them needs to be a starting oline. We should be able to get another one in FA and hopefully one of the guys we have already will improve enough to start.

6) The rest of our 10 picks should help our depth and special teams. Olineman, wr's, a dynamic punt returner and backup dl, lb and db's to help with field position on special teams.

7) As for te, I'm a believer that the bottom of the first round is a nice place to grab one. To me, spending a high pick on te is for after you made the playoffs with a solid team and you can get someone to take you to the next level. Most TE's are not only dependent on the qb and oline, but also need decent wr's to have enough space to work in. So a top te is the final piece for my offense, but that would be 2020 at the earliest.  If we need some middle tiers folks, grab someone in fa, I'm guessing Clay may get cut after the season.

8) At rb, I don't like Murphy because he can't pass block, so I'd try to replace him with as talented a guy as possible. Ride out the contacts of Shady and Ivory and draft as needed after 2019

Edited by 4BillsintheBurgh

The current line cant sustain their blocks and the receivers can't catch making the drop back passing game dangerous and ineffective.

To neutralize this, I would wait for Josh Allen to come back and: (1) roll Allen out often on passing downs because he is a more accurate passer on the run than in the pocket (strange but true); (2) run a lot of read-option and let Allen and McCoy generate some yards on their feet; (3) every other play should be a run pass option to mitigate teams from loading the box to stop the run.  Additionally, this offense would not be a quick score offense and would be based heavily on execution.  Accordingly, sure handed receivers are an absolute necessity for such a scheme because zero yard plays would make 1st down conversions very difficult.  I would bench Kelvin Benjamin and pick up possession guy(s) like Tanner Gentry.

I'm sure I will get blasted with this unconventional thought approach and how it wont work in the NFL.  I can only speak from what I see with the current Bills team and the ways to neutralize the shortcomings.

5 hours ago, nucci said:

1st thing you do is hire a successful,  NFL experienced OC...

Who is this magical OC? You want a successful experienced OC wasn't that Rick Dennison? He was trash according to this board, Mccoy became available and most on here say he's trash also. Who is this guy you speak of? Name some realistic names.

1 minute ago, BuffaloBillsGospel said:

Who is this magical OC? You want a successful experienced OC wasn't that Rick Dennison? He was trash according to this board, Mccoy became available and most on here say he's trash also. Who is this guy you speak of? Name some realistic names.

why do I have to mention names? I'm answering the post...I feel we need an experienced OC.. I would have preferred McVay or Shanahan as HC over McDermott.