How would you fix the Offense?

PatsFanNH

Clearly the underling coaches/player personnel changes from last year to this year are a huge reason why the 2018 team is much worse than the 2017 team.   

Add in the blowouts this year in 9 games already exceeds last years large amount and it's not difficult to see this years team is far worse than last years.

McBeane surely created this mess. To think next year, even with the salary cap space, 2019's team will be 9-7 team like the 2017 team seems preposterous. 

Edited by I am the egg man

47 minutes ago, PatsFanNH said:

I see a lot of negativity (and rightfully so) but how would you fix the O? This is what I would do..

this year:

1. Bench Peterman he just isn’t that good.

2. Max protect on every pass play give the QB (Barkley) as much time as possible to find a receiver.

3. Enficize ball security!! It is better to punt and trust your top 10 D to stop them than to give the other team a short field. 

4. More screen passes

this wont fix it this year but will make the games competitive

Fire Dabol and Fire McD. 

Don't fire coaches unless you want to see this  team continually spin its wheels.

1. Linemen.  Spend cap dollars on linemen.  Yesterday the line was just pathetic.

2.  WR.  Say goodbye to KB.  Draft a WR early and get one in FA.

3.  Get Allen back under center.  Until then you're treading water.

4.  Start transitioning from Shady.  Put him and Ivory on the field together, split him out , use him in jet sweeps.  But make Ivory the guy in one back lineups.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, wppete said:

Fire Dabol and all Offensive staff. Cut Peterman today. Cut Benjamin today. Trade McCoy in the offseason. Put McDermott on the hot seat. 

Wo your cleaning house.  Who starts for you at QB, and is there a dead cap hit for cutting Benjamin?? 

I don't want to fix the offense. I want the best draft pick order possible, as per the process.

Next year, with all dead money erased, and 90+ million to spend, I buy offensive line talent and draft a pass rusher if Bosa or Oliver are available, then receivers.

This year is not the measuring stick. The measuring stick on weather to stick with this executive and coach is how well they draft and sign top quality free agents. It all comes down to this off season for me..

Edited by George C
  • Thank you (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

This year isn’t possible.  Sign leveon bell, tyrell Williams, Daryl williams right tackle. Nkeal Harry first round, center second round. Guard third. 

Great post, also I would add play Teller and Botteger starting now, let's see what we have.

Get JA back after the bye week and try and open up the offense for the last 6 games to see what we have.

Make changes as needed on the special teams punt return and punt game.

Also add a best guard or center in FA

26 minutes ago, Estro said:

Fire Sean McDermott.  

The man has shown he has no semblance of identifying or developing offensive talent.  

His firing would be step 1 in any serious effort to get this team back on the rails.

Yep. I mean, his ability to identify offensive talent has significantly decreased since our win over Minnesota...

Or was that your patience I heard decreasing?

I'm not calling YOU out; I'm just calling out THIS line of thinking.

Let's be honest:

1. We are not getting better on offense, this year.

2. A number of decisions made in the offseason had negative impacts on the offense.

3. A number of unfortunate injuries compounded those negative impacts of those decisions, particularly noteworthy on the offensive side of the ball. 

4. We are stuck with what we have, and will continue to struggle on offense.

5. Daboll is stuck with this cast of characters. Can't draw blood from a stone.

6. McDermott and Beane are also, at this point, stuck with this cast of characters. 

7. We are getting 10 draft picks, high in each round.

8. We have 100 million in cap space freed next year.

So, if you can't bear to watch this year, that's fine; punch out, and come back next year.

Please stop making up false narratives that anyone at OBD is becoming better or worse at identifying offensive talent. What we got is what we got.

Accept this: Some mistakes were made; some unfortunate injuries happened; we are in cap jail; we fixed the defense this year; they will work on offense next year. 

Or, don't, and become a Pat's fan. 

• Like (+1) 1

See the blueprints for both the Chicago Bears and LA Rams ... both had 1st year QB's that were not very good ... (granted higher pick/college pedigree than Allen) ... but they backed the truck up and retooled both offenses .. now the difference is they have very aggressive offensive minded HC's ... but they changed both organizations in one year's time from an offensive personnel perspective.

• Thank you (+1) 1

With the caveat that nobody gets fired at this juncture:

Swallow your pride and go back to the drawing board and research the plays and formations that allowed McCoy and Benjamin success - even if it is the antithesis to "your" scheme.  

Simplify the schemes.  

No more Nate Peterman.    

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, WideRightRevenge said:

See the blueprints for both the Chicago Bears and LA Rams ... both had 1st year QB's that were not very good ... (granted higher pick/college pedigree than Allen) ... but they backed the truck up and retooled both offenses .. now the difference is they have very aggressive offensive minded HC's ... but they changed both organizations in one year's time from an offensive personnel perspective.

Umm the big player for the Bears is Mack, that man is a difference maker on the D side of the ball. I find Trubesky (?) as an average QB.  The Rams look amazing but that is all Gurley. You stop Gurley you have a good chance beat them (see Saints) they have a small window 2-3 years before it implodes as they will have to pay Goff. 

I want my team be built like the Steelers, built for always being in contention and very rare have a bad season. (In their case it is consistency and staying with coaches. I think they have had like 5 or 6 coaches total??)

Edited by PatsFanNH

Assuming the question is about next year...

10 point plan:

1) Release/Trade/Demote Everyone on offense except for Allen, Dawkins, Teller, Zay, Croom, Ivory, Murphy (McCoy... TBD)

2) Trade down at least once (maybe twice) and amass as many 2-4 round picks as possible (ideally end up with ~6)

3) Draft/FA Left Tackle

4) Move Dawkins to Right Tackle (or LG if better suited on that side)

5) Draft/FA Center

6) Draft/FA OG (or RT if moving Dawkins to LG)

7) Draft/FA at least 2 WRs (including a bonafide #1)

8 )Draft/FA 1 CB

9) Draft/FA 1 DT (Kyle replacement)

10) Draft/FA depth with whatever picks/cap space is leftover

Edited by BuffaloBillies
  • Like (+1) 1

I am pessimistic that the offense can be fixed quickly.  It is historically bad, and the rebuild will start from a bottom that few teams have experienced.  An argument can be made that every starting position on offense needs an upgrade.  This situation cannot be fixed this season or in one offseason.  I don't think there are parallels to the Chicago Bears and LA Rams because both of those teams had a better base of offensive talent than we have at this point and both teams brought in coaches with strong backgrounds on offense.  Another problem that we have is that we have no idea whether Allen will develop into a quality starting QB.  He is very raw, and it may take a couple of more years before we know.  Coaching on the offensive side is another unknown, since our personnel is so poor that it is difficult to make judgments about Daboll.  We can review his prior experiences as OC in the NFL and not be particularly confident that he will have success in Buffalo, even with better players.

Realistically, fixing the offense looks like a pretty massive undertaking at this point.  I don't have confidence that it can happen with the speed we will want after suffering through this season.