Why did Rex only get 2 years?

3 minutes ago, Tyrion said:

You should never post your thoughts on this football team again. Stick to what you know. Accounting, maybe. Selling lawn chairs. Lawyering, even. 

Just not football. 

Boo hoo.

Some might say that I should report you for the personal attack but I really do not care what you think.

God bless.

14 minutes ago, mjt328 said:

Completely different situations.

When Rex Ryan came to the team, we had one of the league's best defenses.  His GM then went on an offensive spending spree - adding LeSean McCoy, Percy Harvin, Charles Clay, etc.  The Bills were making every attempt to win NOW.  The offense was probably good enough to at least make the playoffs as a wild card, but Ryan's schematic changes on defense dragged everything to the ground.  I think if Ryan's defense had shown improvement in his second year, the Pegulas probably would have kept him.  But when a coaches' specialty is the worst part on the team, it really makes you wonder what he brings to the table.

In his first year as coach, Sean McDermott was able to do more (better record and playoff berth) with less talent.  And since the day he walked in the door, we've been in a piece-by-piece tear down and rebuild.  As said a thousand times... this regime did not believe long-term success could be achieved by building on the foundation Whaley left.  They felt we needed to blow EVERYTHING up and start over.  You may disagree with Beane/McDermott that this technique was necessary.  But nevertheless, that's what they did.  And it would be premature to judge whether this plan was successful, long before they actually finish rebuilding.

For some reason, you forgot the bit about the Bills having among the most games lost due to injury in 2015 and 2016 or Mario going on strike or Gilmore refusing to tackle. 

You also forgot to mention the time when the Bills had 15 men on the field at the same time. Oh, no, that was under McCoach.

Oh well.

2015 Adusted Games Lost Due to Injury

2016 Adusted Games Lost Due to Injury

1 hour ago, Peter said:

I enjoyed that and the other Buffalo stuff that Rex knew and embraced 

He didn't embrace Buffalo, he embraced Terry's paycheck. As soon as he was fired the stickers came off the truck. He doesn't care about Cookie or Putulski, and he's not going to be stopping into town to grab wings and enjoy the culture. In fact, he'll likely never set foot near WNY again unless forced -- con artists don't return to the scene of the crime.

11 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

Because the team was undisciplined and shockingly unprepared in big games and situations.  The defense went to hell under Rex and he was supposed to be a defensive guru. 

Like that time when the Bills had 15 men on the field or set the franchise record for most penalty yards. . . .

Oh no, I forgot again, those were both under Mr. McOrganized Sean McDermott.

8 minutes ago, Peter said:

Boo hoo.

Some might say that I should report you for the personal attack but I really do not care what you think.

Please do. You'd stop me from having to read asinine, ridiculous, insane threads like this one. 

15 hours ago, RosenNOTchosen1 said:

If my memory serves me correct this season is much worse than a couple years ago under Rex. Under Rex the team was very competitive and was almost in every single game that is played. Why did Ryan only get 2 years but with McDermott it's an automatic that he's coming back?

?

Because Rex took over a team that was SUPPOSED to compete.  McD took a team that was NOT supposed to compete and was SUPPOSED to suck to the playoffs and snapped a 17 year drought.  This year he is saddled with a hurt rookie QB and subpar personnel on the offense in what is a rebuilding year.  Why any of you cant see this is beyond me.  Its not even remotely comparable.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Augie said:

I believe he had it surgically removed after a terrible snowblower accident as a child. 

I could be wrong about that....

No, you're absolutely correct.

Dick was the life of the party before that fateful day.

12 minutes ago, QCity said:

He didn't embrace Buffalo, he embraced Terry's paycheck. As soon as he was fired the stickers came off the truck. He doesn't care about Cookie or Putulski, and he's not going to be stopping into town to grab wings and enjoy the culture. In fact, he'll likely never set foot near WNY again unless forced -- con artists don't return to the scene of the crime.

Does it surprise you that someone might be a bit bitter after being fired and undermined prior to that.  There is no doubt that he was all in with the Bills and Buffalo.  There is also no doubt that he was pissed off that he was fired . . . as any of us would be.

Just now, Tyrion said:

There is no god

Your existence on this board does give one pause.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Peter said:

God forbid that anyone should have a freaking personality.

The Clemson helmet was because his son went to Clemson and he had some fun with it.

The dog biscuit thing was for charity and the Bills supported it.

Rex is a sports fan as are most of us on this board.  He went to a world series game in Cleveland that did not interfere with his responsibilities (and, as I recall, left early to get back to Buffalo).  Oh my God!?!  The horror.  He also went to Sabres games . . . before they actually were good.  God forbid!

The Pegulas and the Bills embraced the fact that he had a personality and even had a web show prior to the second season.

Rex also embraced Buffalo and the Buffalo Bills.  I liked that.  I also liked that he knew who Walt Patulski was and could reference him while he was having fun when he jumped in on a media conference call with the Patriots or knew who the hell Cookie Gilchrist was and could naturally recite - Lookie lookie here comes Cookie - without any prompting.

Say what you will, the guy was all in on the Bills and Buffalo. We are now stuck with an unwatchable team that McCoach has sucked the life out of.  If you have any doubt, take a look at the empty seats in the stands in December and the $7 tickets now.

P.S.  People also claimed that he disrespected Billy B and Brady. He had a funny way of doing that.  Rex actually said that they probably were both the best in the history of the game.

Nice post. I agree somewhat.

I think Rex's positives were also his undoings. He was a happy go lucky blustering front man, which worked well in the PR department. No matter how much drano I use, I can't rid the picture of Rex and Bro riding the tandem bike around Delaware Park.

Unfortunately, that living life on a a lark bled over to Rex's bread and butter which was running a football team. He ran to the team too casually and undisciplined, with no strategic plan whatsoever. His crass off field showmanship was no way to run an NFL team.

3 minutes ago, boater said:

Nice post. I agree somewhat.

I think Rex's positives were also his undoings. He was a happy go lucky blustering front man, which worked well in the PR department. No matter how much drano I use, I can't rid the picture of Rex and Bro riding the tandem bike around Delaware Park.

Unfortunately, that living life on a a lark bled over to Rex's bread and butter which was running a football team. He ran to the team too casually and undisciplined, with no strategic plan whatsoever. His crass off field showmanship was no way to run an NFL team.

Thanks.  I appreciate it.  We can disagree but do so with respect.  Thanks again.

Edited by Peter

1 minute ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

But you'll also note that teams aren't exactly kicking his door down, trying to get him to change his mind.

Rex has got among the best gigs going.  He is getting paid to do what we do here for free.

P.S. Rex also did not abandon the Bills as that prick Marrone did.

P.P.S. I highly doubt that McCoach is going to get another opportunity to be a head football coach for an NFL team if and when the Pegulas ever decide to move on.

15 minutes ago, Tyrion said:

Please do. You'd stop me from having to read asinine, ridiculous, insane threads like this one. 

You're awfully combative for an unabashed, West coast, world traveling, liberal academic.  What happened to good vibes?

20 minutes ago, Peter said:

Like that time when the Bills had 15 men on the field or set the franchise record for most penalty yards. . . .

Oh no, I forgot again, those were both under Mr. McOrganized Sean McDermott.

You asked why Rex got fired and I answered.  I didn't say McD was any better.

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

You're awfully combative for an unabashed, West coast, world traveling, liberal academic.  What happened to good vibes?

You asked why Rex got fired and I answered.  I didn't say McD was any better.

It is ok.  No worries. You are good guy. We just disagree on some things.

28 minutes ago, Peter said:

There is no doubt that he was all in with the Bills and Buffalo. 

You give Rex $27.5M GTD and he will be "all in" (whatever that actually means) with any team, in any city, in any sport. You've been had.

2 hours ago, Peter said:

God forbid that anyone should have a freaking personality.

The Clemson helmet was because his son went to Clemson and he had some fun with it.

The dog biscuit thing was for charity and the Bills supported it.

Rex is a sports fan as are most of us on this board.  He went to a world series game in Cleveland that did not interfere with his responsibilities (and, as I recall, left early to get back to Buffalo).  Oh my God!?!  The horror.  He also went to Sabres games . . . before they actually were good.  God forbid!

The Pegulas and the Bills embraced the fact that he had a personality and even had a web show prior to the second season.

Rex also embraced Buffalo and the Buffalo Bills.  I liked that.  I also liked that he knew who Walt Patulski was and could reference him while he was having fun when he jumped in on a media conference call with the Patriots or knew who the hell Cookie Gilchrist was and could naturally recite - Lookie lookie here comes Cookie - without any prompting.

Say what you will, the guy was all in on the Bills and Buffalo. We are now stuck with an unwatchable team that McCoach has sucked the life out of.  If you have any doubt, take a look at the empty seats in the stands in December and the $7 tickets now.

P.S.  People also claimed that he disrespected Billy B and Brady. He had a funny way of doing that.  Rex actually said that they probably were both the best in the history of the game.

Rex was a sports fan and is a sports fan. That comes across. Rob is doing tv over here in the UK this season and he is the same. That is great. 

I don't necessarily want fans running teams. I want rational people who suck emotion out. Even if Sean McDermott isn't the guy that would be the type I would look for again. 

• Like (+1) 1