Why did Rex only get 2 years?

Rex may have gotten 2 years with the Bills but he got 8 years to be a HC.  After the first two years where the Jets did go on playoff runs his teams basically took a step back every season.  This is McDermott’s 2nd year as a HC.  In his 1st year he led his team to their first playoff appearance in 17 years.  I think he deserves at least another year or two before the jury decides what kind of HC he really is.

5 hours ago, BillsInWilmingtonNC said:

Rex's plan was to bring in his brother so he didn't have to work as much and they could go to Sabres games together.

I remember getting blown out at home by the Pats and seeing Rex on TV at the Cubs game the next day. To say his heart wasn't in it is being kind. The guy was basically a con artist. He assembled the largest coaching staff in the league (two DB coaches, seriously?) comprised of all of his old friends and family on the Pegula's dime. One last paycheck before retirement, and he pulled it off.

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, RosenNOTchosen1 said:

If my memory serves me correct this season is much worse than a couple years ago under Rex. Under Rex the team was very competitive and was almost in every single game that is played. Why did Ryan only get 2 years but with McDermott it's an automatic that he's coming back?

?

In my opinion he became too much of a clown/joke show for Pegula's taste and he didn't like the way he represented the franchise.

That also directly relates to why Pegula fell in love with the "faith base winner" Sean McDermott.  He is the exact opposite of Rex Ryan.  Very conservative, serious, over-achieving, disciplinarian type with no sense of humor.

He is the anti-Rex.

If you understand why Pegula loves McDermott, you'll also understand why he fired Rex.

Edited by Fadingpain

Well when you destroy an entire defense in two years, and go from 9-7 and on the cusp of being a playoff team to 7-9 again and going no where that stuff happens.    

There was also an internal power struggle between him and Whaley where Whaley was going behind his back to the owners, as well as the players doing the same.   The place was a toxic mess and a purge was necessary.  

God forbid that anyone should have a freaking personality.

The Clemson helmet was because his son went to Clemson and he had some fun with it.

The dog biscuit thing was for charity and the Bills supported it.

Rex is a sports fan as are most of us on this board.  He went to a world series game in Cleveland that did not interfere with his responsibilities (and, as I recall, left early to get back to Buffalo).  Oh my God!?!  The horror.  He also went to Sabres games . . . before they actually were good.  God forbid!

The Pegulas and the Bills embraced the fact that he had a personality and even had a web show prior to the second season.

Rex also embraced Buffalo and the Buffalo Bills.  I liked that.  I also liked that he knew who Walt Patulski was and could reference him while he was having fun when he jumped in on a media conference call with the Patriots or knew who the hell Cookie Gilchrist was and could naturally recite - Lookie lookie here comes Cookie - without any prompting.

Say what you will, the guy was all in on the Bills and Buffalo. We are now stuck with an unwatchable team that McCoach has sucked the life out of.  If you have any doubt, take a look at the empty seats in the stands in December and the $7 tickets now.

P.S.  People also claimed that he disrespected Billy B and Brady. He had a funny way of doing that.  Rex actually said that they probably were both the best in the history of the game.

Edited by Peter

24 minutes ago, Peter said:

Rex also embraced Buffalo and the Buffalo Bills.  I liked that.  I also liked that he knew who Walt Patulski was and could reference him while he was having fun when he jumped in on a media conference call with the Patriots or knew who the hell Cookie Gilchrist was and could naturally recite - Lookie lookie here comes Cookie - without any prompting.

You forgot "I want to live where it snows the most." I bet that melted a lot of hearts around here. Wow guys, he's one of us

1 minute ago, QCity said:

You forgot "I want to live where it snows the most." I bet that melted a lot of hearts around here. Wow guys, he's one of us

I enjoyed that and the other Buffalo stuff that Rex knew and embraced 1000% more than I "enjoy" hearing McCoach utter his stolen "process" catch phrase. 

10 hours ago, Skins Malone said:

Dick Jauron had charisma?  That I dont recall.

I believe he had it surgically removed after a terrible snowblower accident as a child. 

I could be wrong about that....

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, RosenNOTchosen1 said:

If my memory serves me correct this season is much worse than a couple years ago under Rex. Under Rex the team was very competitive and was almost in every single game that is played. Why did Ryan only get 2 years but with McDermott it's an automatic that he's coming back?

?

Rex stopped trying to be a coach... we took all the dead money this year and will tank. A top pick, 10 picks, and a ***** ton of cap space is the only chance this HC/GM wilk get.

Edited by Boca BIlls

Completely different situations.

When Rex Ryan came to the team, we had one of the league's best defenses.  His GM then went on an offensive spending spree - adding LeSean McCoy, Percy Harvin, Charles Clay, etc.  The Bills were making every attempt to win NOW.  The offense was probably good enough to at least make the playoffs as a wild card, but Ryan's schematic changes on defense dragged everything to the ground.  I think if Ryan's defense had shown improvement in his second year, the Pegulas probably would have kept him.  But when a coaches' specialty is the worst part on the team, it really makes you wonder what he brings to the table.

In his first year as coach, Sean McDermott was able to do more (better record and playoff berth) with less talent.  And since the day he walked in the door, we've been in a piece-by-piece tear down and rebuild.  As said a thousand times... this regime did not believe long-term success could be achieved by building on the foundation Whaley left.  They felt we needed to blow EVERYTHING up and start over.  You may disagree with Beane/McDermott that this technique was necessary.  But nevertheless, that's what they did.  And it would be premature to judge whether this plan was successful, long before they actually finish rebuilding.

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, OJ Tom said:

Cuz he sucked. 

Don't waste our time with Wrex Wyan nonsense.

...shoulda got 25 to life for perpetrating a fraud and impersonating a HC......thank you Mr. Brandon........his only claim to fame was affiliation with Ravens SB club and the same last name as Blowhard Buddy......he of the famed Bears 46 and nothing thereafter....failed HC just like his kid................

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy
  • Like (+1) 2

14 hours ago, Peter said:

The following is not a popular opinion on this board:

As much as I love the Pegulas, it was a huge mistake firing Rex.  There is no way a coach should be fired in less than two years --- especially a coach who had been the most successful coach for the Buffalo Bills for the past nearly two decades and who was being undermined behind the scenes with leaks etc.  Rex should have been allowed to at least continue for the term of his contract.

To put things in perspective, the point differential was much worse last year than the year before and the relative offensive and defensive rankings were worse last year than the year before.  

As much as Rex got grief for having 11 men on the field (when, as it turns out, a DB got hurt and a defensive back coach presumably did not send a replacement in the game), Rex never had 15 freaking guys on the field as McCoach did last year against the Pats.  I do not think that I ever have seen any other team or coach have 15 guys on the field at the same time.  

Rex also had personality whereas the current guy is McMilktoast and cannot help repeating his stolen mantra the "process."  McCoach is Dick Jauron without the charisma.*  Between  his personality and what he has done with the team, he has sucked the life out of the team (and my view of the team under him).

I would take Rex over the current guy and thought it was unfair to undermine and then fire Rex in less than two years. As I state above, Rex should have been allowed to at least coach the team through the term of his contract.

As much as I am not particularly impressed with McCoach, I also think that it would be unfair to fire him in less than two years.

* For the younger readers, Dick Jauron did not have any charisma . . . and neither does McCoach.  This was a joke.

You should never post your thoughts on this football team again. Stick to what you know. Accounting, maybe. Selling lawn chairs. Lawyering, even. 

Just not football. 

15 hours ago, RosenNOTchosen1 said:

?

Because the team was undisciplined and shockingly unprepared in big games and situations.  The defense went to hell under Rex and he was supposed to be a defensive guru.