Why did Rex only get 2 years?

10 hours ago, RosenNOTchosen1 said:

If my memory serves me correct this season is much worse than a couple years ago under Rex. Under Rex the team was very competitive and was almost in every single game that is played. Why did Ryan only get 2 years but with McDermott it's an automatic that he's coming back?

?

I would expect a post like this from someone new in these forums. if you can not figure out why Rex got canned.. either you didn't watch his games or your just another troll.

7 hours ago, RosenNOTchosen1 said:

The defense was ranked 16th which is average.

Our current offense is averaging under 11 points a game and is ranked dead last. 

That defense finished 24th and 27th in D in his two seasons as measured by DVOA, which is a far better metric. It was second in the league (behind only Seattle) the year before he took over, and they finished 15th last season.

Edited by dave mcbride

25 minutes ago, Peter said:

Rex probably will not coach again in the NFL. 

After working terrible hours for nearly 365 days a year, I also cannot blame former head coaches like Cowher, Rex, and others to "take some time off" by working in the media.

No nor can I. 

2 hours ago, Peter said:

Clearly, I disagree. 

A couple things are certain:

1) Rex was not the one who leaked about himself;

2) Rex actually has coached two teams in the AFC championship game - something none of our other coaches not named Marv ever have done;

3) Rex was given every opportunity during press conferences in his last year of being the Bills head coach to point the finger elsewhere and he did not.  For example, in both years he was coach, he defended guys to a fault - even Mario who went on strike during games.  The one thing McCoach got right was he insisted on his own guy as the GM so that he would have a guy who would not undermine him. Rex should have done that especially after what he went through in NY with his last GM there. 

What is certain is that Rex took a 2 time AFCC game team and tow year later it was 6-10, two years after that it was 4-12.  After that 2nd AFCC game, he would not have a winning season again in NYJ. 

He was happy to let his defenders blame Idzik, who came on the scene well after the Rex wrecking of the Jets began.

Again, no HC has ever been done in by "leaks".  Only by poor coaching.  Rex was defective in that regard when the Pegulas hired him.  The result was predictable on day one.  He wasn't suddenly going to become a better HC.

Edited by Mr. WEO

It's pretty hilarious to see fans now with revisionist history on Rex's time here. He is gone because he was a horrible coach who never should have been hired in the first place. He took a good team on the up swing and made them worse. He took a really good defence and wrecked it because it wasnt his defence. The offence improved but wasnt great. He was a blowhard who would talk the talk buy couldnt walk the walk. He had a track record from his time in NY and that was that his teams never really got better, just slowly worse. Doesnt mean the new guys are any better though.

McDermott took over a mess here and in 2 years made one side better and the other even worse. The defence is at a point where they can be very good at times, and the offence is a complete clusterf**k.

The only reason McDermott and Beane would get more time is because they may have convinced the Pegulas when they interviewed that the team needed a complete rebuild and it would take time to do it and would involve tough times. Being a newer naive owner, they believed them that it's going to be a long, but worth it, rebuild process. But after last season getting into the playoffs despite their best to try not to (starting Peterman, trading away some of their top talent, etc.) They hurt themselves because they continued to make themselves worse instead of building off of what they had last year. In owner of a billion dollar franchise is going to want to know why they couldnt work with what they had and continue to build from there, instead of getting much worse and becoming a national laughingstock with the rest of the league. Making choices like continuing to start Peterman, not addressing the horrible offence, questionable coaching hires (WR to coach the QB needing the most development out of all the others in the draft?) and dumping talent to take on dead cap space may make the ownership think twice about letting them have more time. Usually you want to see teams showing signs of improvement, not taking additional steps back.

McDermott may just end up being a very good DC that is in over his head trying to build an entire team, they gambled on one of the "up and coming" coordinators at the time and it may fail. With Rex, there was plenty of tape on his coaching career and not much was good and it's why he is in a booth and not on a sideline.

• Like (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

What is certain is that Rex took a 2 time AFCC game team and tow year later it was 6-10, two years after that it was 4-12.  After that 2nd AFCC game, he would not have a winning season again in NYJ. 

He was happy to let his defenders blame Idzik, who came on the scene well after the Rex wrecking of the Jets began.

Again, no HC has ever been done in by "leaks".  Only by poor coaching.  Rex was defective in that regard when the Pegulas hired him.  The result was predictable on day one.  He wasn't suddenly going to become a better HC.

he had a personality and added some interest to the situation

I think it was clear at the end that Rex had completely lost the team. They played with zero effort and did not believe in his coaching or scheme whatsoever. 

This team is still playing hard. They just suck. Vlad, Bodine, Miller are giving it everything they have, but they simply can't do it. 

McDermott needs to be careful over these next few games. I haven't seen signs of him losing the team, but he needs to tread lightly imo. 

2 hours ago, Peter said:

3) Rex was given every opportunity during press conferences in his last year of being the Bills head coach to point the finger elsewhere and he did not.  For example, in both years he was coach, he defended guys to a fault - even Mario who went on strike during games.  The one thing McCoach got right was he insisted on his own guy as the GM so that he would have a guy who would not undermine him. Rex should have done that especially after what he went through in NY with his last GM there. 

I'm not sure I agree with this. I think he did throw people under the bus. Coaches and players. Not by name but by inference. All the "I know what really happened" and "I said to them guys this is not my defense it's our defense" crap.

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, RosenNOTchosen1 said:

If my memory serves me correct this season is much worse than a couple years ago under Rex. Under Rex the team was very competitive and was almost in every single game that is played. Why did Ryan only get 2 years but with McDermott it's an automatic that he's coming back?

?

I would have gave him life.......in prison ;)

30 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Turns out that's all he had.  The Jets found that out after a while, but the Bills ignored this.

I was over at BBMB when Rex joined and many were declaring him a football genius just because he signed a contract with Buffalo

• Haha (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

It's pretty hilarious to see fans now with revisionist history on Rex's time here. He is gone because he was a horrible coach who never should have been hired in the first place. He took a good team on the up swing and made them worse. He took a really good defence and wrecked it because it wasnt his defence. The offence improved but wasnt great. He was a blowhard who would talk the talk buy couldnt walk the walk. He had a track record from his time in NY and that was that his teams never really got better, just slowly worse. Doesnt mean the new guys are any better though.

McDermott took over a mess here and in 2 years made one side better and the other even worse. The defence is at a point where they can be very good at times, and the offence is a complete clusterf**k.

The only reason McDermott and Beane would get more time is because they may have convinced the Pegulas when they interviewed that the team needed a complete rebuild and it would take time to do it and would involve tough times. Being a newer naive owner, they believed them that it's going to be a long, but worth it, rebuild process. But after last season getting into the playoffs despite their best to try not to (starting Peterman, trading away some of their top talent, etc.) They hurt themselves because they continued to make themselves worse instead of building off of what they had last year. In owner of a billion dollar franchise is going to want to know why they couldnt work with what they had and continue to build from there, instead of getting much worse and becoming a national laughingstock with the rest of the league. Making choices like continuing to start Peterman, not addressing the horrible offence, questionable coaching hires (WR to coach the QB needing the most development out of all the others in the draft?) and dumping talent to take on dead cap space may make the ownership think twice about letting them have more time. Usually you want to see teams showing signs of improvement, not taking additional steps back.

McDermott may just end up being a very good DC that is in over his head trying to build an entire team, they gambled on one of the "up and coming" coordinators at the time and it may fail. With Rex, there was plenty of tape on his coaching career and not much was good and it's why he is in a booth and not on a sideline.

He took a 9-7 team and went 8-8 and 7-8. That is pretty far from taking a good team and making it worse. While McD took his 8-8 and 7-8 team and made it 9-7  and that is called taking a mess and improving it. Its all the same. Reality is this year (McD team) is one of the worst ever in the NFL. None of this should be celebrated. Neither should have been hired. This team needs a football person running the show and the Pegulas are stubborn and hired a stubborn coach. 

1 hour ago, PrimeTime101 said:

I would expect a post like this from someone new in these forums. if you can not figure out why Rex got canned.. either you didn't watch his games or your just another troll.

No, what I and many others don't understand is why McD is still here and gets pass after pass.  The dead cap and cap space is a pipe dream as no FA will come here unless grossly overpayed to play on the Offensive side of the ball.

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

I take it from the back and forth that you and I disagree.

God bless.

Edited by Peter
  • Like (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, ngbills said:

He took a 9-7 team and went 8-8 and 7-8. That is pretty far from taking a good team and making it worse. While McD took his 8-8 and 7-8 team and made it 9-7  and that is called taking a mess and improving it. Its all the same. Reality is this year (McD team) is one of the worst ever in the NFL. None of this should be celebrated. Neither should have been hired. This team needs a football person running the show and the Pegulas are stubborn and hired a stubborn coach. 

I'm not disagreeing, but you have to look outside of just the record. Rex took a 9-7 team that was trending upwards under Marrone, and had one of the best defences and made it worse because he had to ditch that defence to install his own, and they became one of the worst defences. His record then trended downward just like in NY. McDermott inherited a team that had given up on the coach and trending down, got rid of some of the better talent, and they improved and squeaked into the playoffs. This year is a complete mess though and is a good reason I would have no problems with the Bill's canning him. With Rex tou had a background of his abilities as a HC, and it seemed to get worse every year (should have never been hired), with McDermott tou didnt have that, he was a highly respected DC that was supposed to be a potential up and coming HC candidate. Some of those guys succeed, others fail and find out they are only successful coordinators (cant fault them for trying). I can fault them for maybe giving such an inexperienced HC too much power and control over the roster and front office. It not fully clear if he chose Beane to work with him cause he knew he would be a pushover and allow him complete control, or if he chose him because they worked together in Carolina and he knew him very well and knew they believed the same things and could build something together.

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

I'm not sure I agree with this. I think he did throw people under the bus. Coaches and players. Not by name but by inference. All the "I know what really happened" and "I said to them guys this is not my defense it's our defense" crap.

We disagree then.